Mila Kunis to play Wicked Witch in 'Oz' prequel?
February 18th, 2011

Mila Kunis to play Wicked Witch in 'Oz' prequel?

If you thought Mila Kunis was a bad girl in "Black Swan," brace yourself for her next role: The actress is in talks to play the Wicked Witch of the West in the upcoming "Oz, the Great and Powerful" prequel.

According to Vulture, the film will tell the backstory of such beloved Oz characters as the Wizard and Glinda the Good Witch, and reveal info on the lesser-known Wicked Witch of the East, Evanorah, who had a house fall on her when Dorothy dropped in.

Golden Globe nominee Kunis would play Evanorah's sister Theodorah, who would go on to become Dorothy's nemesis, the Wicked Witch of the West.

Robert Downey Jr. was originally set to play the Wizard but has since dropped out. Vulture reports that ubiquitous actor James Franco is said to be taking over the role, largely because Kunis is now on board.

The fantasy film is expected to begin shooting in July.

Do you think Kunis is right for the role of the Wicked Witch of the West? Let us know in a comment below.

1. I am just getting started on the Internet. I am retired now. There is quite a rich diversity of information in blogs so I am getting involved and commenting. You have made your blog more interesting than most that I read. Thanks for that. I have started m

Wow, incredible blog structure! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for? you make running a blog look easy. The full glance of your web site is great, as smartly as the content material!

August 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. This is the beginning of my Internet Life. I have reitred from the grind. I am reading blogs on many topics, and commenting too. Your blog is not like most of the blogs that I read on the Internet, and I like the style of what you are presenting here. Wel

Woah this blog is magnificent i like reading your articles. Stay up the great paintings! You already know, many people are hunting round for this info, you can aid them greatly.

August 7, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Job Offer

Pretty component to content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing in your augment and even I success you access consistently quickly.

August 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Insights on how to lose weight fast

I really appreciate your site. I am taking the Internet seriously now. I am retired and can dive into it. There are a lot of topics on the Internet and I am reading on many of those and commenting. You have made your blog more interesting than most that I read. Thanks for that. Well you know I have my own blog and website now. It is fun, to be sure. In the text boxes I have entered my email address and my website URL. It seems to be customary to include these so I hope that its ok with you. TheVeryBest2You 13 6

August 6, 2012 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Melissa

I love Mila...But, I don't think she'd be right for this role...

February 26, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ed209

One word: Pass.

February 24, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Really?

(insert 1 of the same 5 comments stated a hundred times above here....... again)

February 23, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Glen Quagmire

Will she be naked? Giggity-giggity!

February 23, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. grace

Theodorah is not her name.... get it right

February 23, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. Luis

February 23, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
    • WW24

Luis... smack yourself in the mouth! Do not put down Betty White. She's a hoot!

February 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Luis

Maybe a remake of Gone with the wind with Mila Kunis, James Franco and Scarlette Johanson would b better since all they wanna do is remakes? Where are all the writers? Why aren't they creating new stuff instead of remaking all these classics? Perhaps remake whatever happened to baby Jane and cast Betty White in it, since she tryin to be in every show before she dies

February 23, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Daniel

Wow a prequel. What a surprise :P

February 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chelsea

Somewhere in my LiveJournal of old, 2005 or so, I posted a question as to who would play Dorothy in an Oz sequel (not prequel), but it was agreed that Mila Kunis would be the perfect part. I had a flashback to that when seeing this byline; she is absolutely perfect to play the Wicked Witch in a prequel. I'll be looking forward to her performance. And James Franco, I believe, would be better than Downey in the Wizard's role. Franco would bring the liveliness to the Wizard that he had when he was the psychic in Kansas; whereas Downey, in my opinion, would be more, Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka in this film.

February 22, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Annette

All I can say is nobody should try to make a sequel much less explain were these chacters came from leave the classic movie as is,your ruining a great clasic....

February 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bam

They need to drop the whole project.

February 22, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. d

I have a role she can play

February 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. J Fritzl

I suppose it depends on how early of a prequel it is, really. I mean, James Franco and Mila Kunis compared to the counterparts who played the roles in the 1930's 'Wizard' movie are extremely young. I don't know, nor do I care, about the Oz universe, but that seems like a pretty big gap to me.

February 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tim

For those that have not been to the theater, this is actually the play "Wicked". You will have a much better time seeing this as a live performance than you will in a movie theater. I'm not a theater love, and I thought this was pretty cool.

February 22, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

It won't feel like Wicked if they don't call them Elphaba and Nessarose. If they can't get the rights to the name, who says the rest of the story will be the same?

February 22, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Landru

I'd hit that fo sho!

February 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jmonst3r

Well....i dont really care for this girl cause she just aint right for the wicked witch part. mila kunis should play as dorothy instead. thats my opinion and if you dont like then thats your problem and you have to deal with it yourself because i aint changing this

February 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Rhen

Yawn. There already IS a prequel. It's called Wicked.

February 21, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  22. Greg P

It will be awesome. Great choice. I cant wait to see all of the cast. Looking forward to the movie.

February 21, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  23. Big Jims Pimp Cane

I would like to phuck that little girl and I mean phuck her p*ssy till she couldnt walk.

February 21, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  24. Scot B

Ehh... I read the "Wicked"–Gregory Maguire's take on the "pre-Dorothy" Oz–And I liked that story. Saw the musical, and it was entertaining, but with any live-action adaptation of books, it just lacked the depth. So now they want to make a new "prequal" to the Wizard of Oz that stomps all over already well-told stories? I might see it, but when I do, I'm going to have to get over the "this isnt right" impulse before I can enjoy it.

February 21, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

I read "Wicked" as well, and even went so far as to see the musical! I think it's ridiculous to have another prequel version when there's already at least something to work with. You may be right that taking too much from that book might not make for an enjoyable movie, but how many times do we need to hear this story???

February 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Luke

Too many comments here seem to rely on preconceived notions about the wicked witch of the west. Yes, the witch was ugly in Oz. Yes, Mila is gorgeous. But this is a prequel. Perhaps the witch was not always ugly. Perhaps certain events changed her appearance like Vader in Star Wars.

February 21, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  26. maverick

Why not "Singing in the Abbey", a prequel to "The Sound of Music", with Carrie Underwood (gag) playine Maria? Or "The River Qwai" starring any of the doofs from the Twilight mooo-vies?, prequel to "Bridge Over the..."? Didn't Hollywood learn anything from "Scarlett" (sequel to "Gone With the Wind"), or "Hannibal Rising"? Prequels do not work, and sequels to immortal classics made decades ago NEVER work (could you imagine "The Promised Land", a sequel to "The Ten Commandments" (Charlton Heston's, not Dougray Scott's) if it were ever made?) TWOO needs no prequel...those who star in it will set themselves up only for disaster.

February 21, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  27. Bernard Webb

The original Wicked Witch of the West was played by my cousin, Margaret Hamilton. It is nice to see what she looked like when she was younger! Very different.

February 21, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  28. Kevin G.

This just sounds like 'WICKED' to me....

February 21, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. Uptown Rell

now she is a dime

February 21, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  30. brenda

Hello everyone I like Milla Kunis I hope she gets the part it would be interesting watching her play the part of the witch. Very talented indeed :)

February 21, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jason Klein

Anyone remember a "Maxwell House" coffee commerical from the seventies with a sweet old lady who ran an old country store which only sold Maxwell house coffee? The sweet old lady was played by Margaret Hamilton, who played the wicked witch of the west in the old MGM classic.

Type casting is well and good, but if you only let truly evil people play the villian, it would make production a lot more difficult.

February 21, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  32. Meh

I dont care if she can act or not, I'd eat her a$$ clean off

February 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Johnny

@yeayeayea
    I think ya might've used up too much effort in yer chastisement of panopticon7 when umm..probably...ya could've,..should've 'been using yer energy a little more effectively'....just sayin' ...

February 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. sven

i think i should be cast because i can act stupid while pretending to be someone else. i will need to have a beer or two first .....i'm cheap too.

February 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  35. clint

The dream stuff is only in the movie. In the book it was not a dream. So if the movie is based on L. Frank Baum tales, a back story makes sense.

February 20, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ObliQ

Wasn't the whole Wizard of Oz movie Dorothy's dream? How you gonna have a back story and a prequel on dreamed up characters?

February 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Ken

Oh yeah. Bring me Mila. I'd be a flying Monkey for her.

February 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ryan

This sounds like a rip off of Wicked! I'm suprised anyone said yes to be in it! I think people will come in expecting it be Wicked and be disappointed. :/ And for those raving about Wicked the book, ABC is in talks to do a miniseries of Wicked based in the book. Which I think could be really successful! Wicked the movie-musical is also in talks but not for a few years. The show is stil SO successful they honestly don't need a movie to bring up sales. By the time they do make a movie Idina and Kristen will be too old to play Shiz Elphaba/G(a)linda. I just hope they don't cast some famous celeb who can't song the part. I would LOVE to see Anne Hathaway as Nessarose!!!

February 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  39. hans

I am sure she is as ready as any other actress, Mila would be perfect,

February 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Yossie

I LOV MILA N LOV THA OZ..HOPE THEY DNT GO WRONG ON THIS CLASSIC..

February 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Wha?

Wow, this is really going to suck!

February 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  42. MissAnthrope

@AEF710: LMAO! You're spot-on!

February 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Chris

Why another "prequal"? We already have WICKED which is wonderful.... why recreate the beginning. I am for a movie based on WICKED, be it the musical or a movie based on the Maquire book, but why muddy the waters with different versions????

February 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ronn Vest

All those that continue to complain about Hollywood or movie makers have run out of ideas or keep recycling ideas...get a life! Story tellers from the beginning of time have rewritten or altered existing stories for entertainment or for historical reasons. Think it is easy to come up with original ideas and still make a living, how many of you have original thoughts in your profession? By the way Mila is one of the hottest and talented actresses of our time and good for her for taking on these roles.

February 20, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  45. hux

I think lohan should play the role.What with her bleary eyes an far away look,she would be perfect.She could fly across the sky on her broom stick writing SURRENDER DORTHY with COKE. PERFECT !!

February 20, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  46. AEF710

Let's get a few things straight here for those whose reading comprehension is not so good:

1) This is NOT the Wicked movie.
    2) The Maguire story is not the licensed prequel. It's just his version of what might've happened. It's a fan fiction.
    3) This is NOT THE WICKED MOVIE.
    4) For those who keep on saying it was Dorothy's dream.... was it? That's part of the magic. Stop trying to apply logic to a fantasy.
    5) If one were to make a prequel to TWOO, it doesn't HAVE to be Wicked. Indina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth are getting far too old for these parts (if they were to play them in the WICKED movie...but this isn't the Wicked movie)
    6) A prequel doesn't have to be a musical.
    7) THIS IS NOT THE WICKED MOVIE.

February 20, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  47. Mike

And let me guess....Willow and Jaden Smith will have roles as well.

February 20, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  48. old hippy

Sure do wish they could get Sarah Paalin to play the part

February 20, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  49. Dave

I think she will be fine. They can make anyone look the part. Personnaly I always thought she would be the perfect Mary Ann in the next Gilligans Island Movie.

February 20, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  50. josh

First off, will pink floyd reunion for the soundtradck? second, why? why make a prequel from a more than awesome movie? why cant we let the classics speak for themselfs? and tim burton is a hack. he only remakes or reimagines everything. hes good, but sam raimi will do ok. lets really mess it up and get michael bay to direct. go james franco!

February 20, 2011 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  51. Evildiva1973

NessaRose was the Wicked Witch of the East. Elphaba was the Wicked Witch of the West. Fiero was the scarecrow and Boq was the Tinswoodsman. I Love the concept of the movie but it needs to sta along the storylines of all the books

February 20, 2011 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  52. Tom

It's kinda funny because she played Dorothy in a dream she had on That 70's Show.

February 20, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  53. Dino

She is going 2 be just another hollywood wh0re, thats the direction her career is headed. Thats too bad I liked her on that 70's show. You dont see serious actresses like julia roberts or catherine zeta jones eating each other out. but hey to each his own.

February 20, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  54. John

Mila you rock sweetie. You get more beautiful as the days go by.

February 20, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  55. Lana Clary

I think it's amazing :) I hope James is in it too. Can't wait!!

February 20, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  56. Gfunk

For the love of god: FRANCO again?--He is turning into the situation from Jersey Shore w/his all over evrywhere in everything self gimick!

February 19, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  57. greg

I hope it includes the populist movement, anti-banker rhetoric, and the evilness of the gold standard like the original book intended.

February 19, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Doug

wow, i can't wait for this!!! kunis and franco put completely put themselves into every role that they accept. this is going to be a blockbuster ... just wait and see!!!

February 19, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  59. MissAnthrope

panopticon, WTH are you running on about? People are just hoping that filmakers do not take a brilliant book (MacGuire's), that was turned into a brilliant musical, and make a movie that is sub-par, the way Hollywood usually does, by tweaking it and changing names and such. Hollywood can make a prequel as described in the article; it just won't be "Wicked". The coincidences are just striking, that's all. Relax. Nobody is trying to steal Baum's thunder.

February 19, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mia

Why can't Hollywood put mature actors in roles??

And why the crap her?? There are far better and more intriguing actresses.

February 19, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  61. imsmart

Mila will be a good choice to play a witch. She is ugly enough to pull it off. Good choice!

February 19, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Eric Nicolas

There are a number of Oz books written by the original author – it seems strange none of them have been wrecked by Hollywood since the sequel disease hit it in the 1970s

February 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  63. SLPrentice

In the book WICKED Elphaba was attractive in a unique and sometimes hard to explain way.If the movie were a serious and non-musical treatment of the book, it would be hard to adapt and cast but I'd love to see it.

February 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Makes no sense

Does Dorothy have to get hit on the head AGAIN in order for us to dig deeper into the characters of her dream?

February 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jo

She's what, early 20s? She hasn't gone under the knife you moron! Just looking at her you can tell.

February 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Andrew

WHAT. No. They better not market this as the movie version of "Wicked".

February 19, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Lisa

Evanorah? Theodorah? I much prefer Elphaba & Nessarose. Ugh. And this must not be based at all as a movie-version of Wicked, because then obviously they would have kept the same names.

February 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  68. clarkster

She could dang sure put a hex on me..and yes,i can actually picture her in the role..

February 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  69. greg693

NO ONE will ever be able to do a better wicked witch than the original, Margaret Hamilton!

February 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  70. lance corporal

waaaaaaaaay too hot for the roll but what the h-ll, good for her
    mila if your out there and you need some help training to be "wicked" drop me a line
    I can help ;-)

February 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. j

What people don't realize is that there are many Oz books written by L. Frank baum, that contain a lot of back story about the characters. The Wizard of Oz movie did not really follow the book. I am excited about this movie and hope it uses stories from the books. I love Wicked, but that has nothing to do with this movie, seeing that it was an adaptation of the oz story.

February 19, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. JD

I think Mila would be great but I don't think I understand what a prequel would be. In the 1939 movie "OZ" was just a dream Dorothy had after being knocked unconscious. So is the prequel the dream she had the night before or is it the backstory to the characters from Dorothy's Kansas life ... Auntie EM, Hickory, Hunk, Zeke, Amira Gulch, Professor Marvel, etc. The article indicates it will be the dreamland characters. So whose dream and when?

February 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  73. monica alcala

I think Mila is extremely talented, but if any prequel is to be made "wicked" it should star the original cast of Idina and Kristin. They brought these charactors to life and damn well I might say.Any true Wicked fan would agree.

February 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Read a book

Haven't any of you read (or even seen, on Broadway) WICKED? It tells the back story of the Wicked Witch of the West... and East... from their childhood on. I'm sure that's what they're doing here... and why its a prequel... there is way to much to fit into one movie.

I personally think Mila will be fantastic in this role; and will surely watch. As for all of the Disney remakes lately; I feel original is best... I will stray away from them. This ISN'T a remake of the Wizard of Oz... it's the backstory.

February 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. banasy

I'm not at all sure how MacGuire felt about his book being turned into a musical in the first place, but I'm sure permission had to be granted. That being said, the book is full of details that couldn't be translated to stage, although the musical stayed pretty true to the book. (I read the book first.) But I agree- MacGuire's books are awesome, and unfortunately, few and far between.

I don't think what the filmakers are attempting to do has anything to do with his books, however. Although, I *would* love to see a film version of "Wicked"!

One more thing: one can be a wicked witch-type and still be beautiful. Just because Margaret Hamilton was a tad bit plain does not mean she was ugly, per say. Did you really think that green nose was *hers*? Mila Kunis will do just fine.

February 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bling1203

"Return to Oz", It was better than The Wizard of Oz cuz know one was singing and dancing. It could be a good prequel if no ones singing. Not everyone likes musicals. What they really make should make is a movie about Ozma..tell her story growing up as a slave and being enchanted into the mirror.

February 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Superhiro

She is pretty hawt.

February 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  78. stevenrmorrison

Yes! OH YES! She is wicked on so many levels, love the choice!

February 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  79. jillybean

hollyweird sucks beyond belief.

February 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  80. MissAnthrope

How you can even equate a silent film with the classic musical version is beyond me. But that's OK, because I get your point, even if your example was stupid.

February 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  81. mejazzbo

Ms. Kunis has come a long way since her days on "70s". Some great film rolls with "Book of Eli" and "Black Swan". Saw her a few weeks ago on Craig Ferguson late night show. Pretty inside and out as far as I can tell. If she is in ANY movie, I'll be watching it.

February 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  82. clint

You all realize that the 1939 version was a remake of a 1925 silent film in which Oliver Hardy played the Tin Woodsman. Many films we think of as Hollywood classics are in fact remakes of earlier versions.

February 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  83. matt

Kunis is hot. Perfect for the part. Hbc is too round and soooo yesterday. She and tb need to go on a long trip.

February 19, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  84. hoss

mila's acting is impeccable , however i feel she is way too beautiful to ever make as ugly of a wicked witch as the original ....give the job to kim kardashian and just dub in someones else voice ( this non blonde ditz couldnt act her way out of a wet paper bag) and hell she wouldnt even need much makeup

February 19, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  85. Alicia

Well I can tell that shes a good actress,...but I know this story, its one of my favorites musicals....hummm she definitely cant look or sing like idina menzel I dont c y they didnt choose her!!...and by the way sounds better Robert Downy for the wizard he looks like a perfect crazy man!! HEY WHATS UP we all expect the best of this production please!!

February 19, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  86. David

Mila Kunis is full of talent and could become a fabulous wicked witch . . . having said that . . . prequeling the
    greatest movie of all time is a mistake. Leave the Wizard of Oz alone.

February 19, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  87. Jezzybelle

I thought the Wicked Witch was supposed to be ugly? How can you make this beautiful young woman look mean, ugly and scary? Oh well. Might have to check it out even though I don't care for remakes and prequels.

February 19, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  88. jesser

What I would like to know is, where is the 'original ideas' from Hollywood? Why can they not come up with their own 'future classics' instead of doing all these re-makes? Little Orphan Annie with the Smith kid? The Three Stooges with possibly Knoxville? Now a prequel to Wizard of Oz? I can see that it will help open younger generations eyes to the true classics, but NOTHING can compare to the ORIGINALS!!!

February 19, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  89. Bean

I don't think any movie or person can compare to the orginal Wizard of Oz. I do not think Mila can do it, i am not saying just her but i dont think anybody can.

February 19, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  90. The_Mick

She's way too hot to play a Wicked Witch unless her behavior eventually makes her go from hot to horrid in the flick.

February 19, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  91. jrk bez

Bet this sucks! have mila due it nakedthat would be ahz

February 19, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  92. shadowsock13

Watched True Grit last night. Hollywood really should quit f-ING with classics. To many college degrees. And not enough heart anymore. Get off the coke, and go back on LSD !

February 19, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  93. shadowsock13

Hi

February 19, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  94. cleverboy283

Why does Hollywood cast beautiful people to play ugly roles

February 19, 2011 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  95. cleverboy283

I don't get why Hollywood casts beautiful people to play the "ugly roles".

February 19, 2011 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  96. Brian

Mila can play anything she wants.

February 19, 2011 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  97. MADD LEAK

woww...lol!!

HEY, EVER SEEN NICKI MINAJ'S X-VID...U WONT BELIEVE UR EYEZ

MODZUNCUT com

February 19, 2011 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  98. me myself nd i

K i agree with some of the past comments, its the same thing az wicked except the movie is gonna be a lot worse im all for makein the wicked movie with idena menzel? and krirten chenowith? -sorry cant spell for crap

February 19, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  99. Nick

For the latest hollywood news reviews and trailers check out this site http://postproductionnjr.blogspot.com/

February 19, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  100. a love

That is yet for i to read or even see the play.

February 19, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  101. tim

Was suprised about carrot top casted to play scarecrow, but guess we will se how it works out

February 19, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  102. Kitty

Why not have Idina Menzel play the Wicked Witch of the West. It's a role she played well in the theatrical version. Sure, it may have been a musical, but she knows the role well.

February 19, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  103. wizard

Ashton Kutcher could play the Scarecrow, Danny Masterson the Tin Man, and Fez could be the lion!

February 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  104. johan

we were eager to see the pictures..thank you... Increasing your web traffic submit your site to our directory

February 18, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  105. ekc

Absolutely! She would be great for the role. The wizard should be played by the Professor from XMEN or either Magneto from XMEN.

February 18, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  106. ghettorocker

I think she would be good in the role, but maybe better as the Wicked Witch of the East. And for some of the other people who are commenting, you need to get your facts straight. It was the Wicked Witch of the West who was destroyed by Dorthy. The syfy remake Tin Man was awesome. And although the Wicked book was like a prequal it was more about the Wicked Witch of the West, than about Glinda the Good Witch (although it did give some insight into her past), the Wizard, or about her younger sister the Wicked Witch of the East. However if you enjoyed the Wicked story you should check out his other books. Son of a witch, and A lion amoung men. Not sure if there are others following those 3 but they are worth the check out.

February 18, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bell88

Those are the only books out in the Wicked Years right now, but the final book in the series is set to be released in October. I can't wait! MacGuire does have some other interesting books though, like Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Lost

February 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Travis

This is such a copy of Wicked. Way to be original, I suppose. They just changed the names and the plot a little bit. Lame. Though I love MIla Kunis.

February 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • panopticon7

wait. you think Wicked is original? it isn't. it's a rip off of the original works of L. Frank Baum. the movie being discussed here is set to occur before the events of the other books. not during. like Wicked. so, while a derived work, it's plot is original where Wicked's is not, parallel that it is. also, i'm not really seeing the connection between Baum's work and McGuire's. that is, not seeing how what Baum wrote was written with McGuire in mind. because it wasn't. everyone here keeps on about the McGuire book. it has nothing to do with anything.

February 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  108. acting-hahahaha

When you say "to play", you mean that she is being paid a large amount of money to show up to a movie set and be herself? Interesting. My freezer has better chops.

February 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  109. miggie miggie

Wat huh wat are we talking about here now i thought wicked was part of the wizard of kinda adaption

February 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  110. the Great Apparently Broken Illusion

Hmm I wonder how mila kunis wiLl look in green... Btw I thought the wicked witch of the west was ugly...?

February 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Jam

Why would they do this to a classic?

February 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Edward Nashville, TN

They made a sequel in the 80's called Return to Oz.

February 18, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • ct

L. Frank Baum wrote 14 Oz books, including Return to Oz.. there are many more Oz books... I don't know why they don't use one of those or Wicked as the basis for this movie

February 19, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  113. crack kills stupids

I wish they'd remake the wiz!!! Bring MJ back from the dead!!

February 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  114. whisper

YAY!!!!
    if its not a remake of an older show, or some other countries popular shows, its prequels.

February 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Syd458

How do you have a "prequel' and 'flesh-out" characters that are essentially from a DREAM ? (Dorothy WAS unconscious)

February 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Kay

They already did this idea in "Wicked".

February 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Spin

Helena Bohnam Carter kinda wouldn't work considering this is a prequel.
    I too would love to see a movie version of Wicked but I'm sure Gregory Maguire makes a lot more off the three and sometimes four stage shows going on now.

February 18, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  117. margeaux

Isn't that just" wicked"!

February 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tracey

February 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • WICKEDFAN

I don't like sam raimi and I really think he's just trying to cash in on how popular Wicked is. A Wicked movie would be far more entertaining!

February 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  118. alison

Who cares who playes who. i love the wizard of oz. it freakin rocks...lol

February 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  119. JD

Kunis would be great but if she drops out Helena Bohnam Carter would be a great choice also.

February 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Random

I think a movie version of Wicked would be far more entertaining. :\

February 18, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • lbw

Absolutely, if you could get Idena Menzel and Kirsten Chinoweth to do the roles the did on Broadway.

February 18, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I think that's what they're talking about here, isn't it?

February 18, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

No they aren't talking about wicked because the Wicked Witch of the East's name is Nessarose in Wicked. Unless they are just changing the name for some odd reason.

February 19, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • sharky

I would rather have the Wicked version made to a movie instead of this., Too many people know Wicked either as the musical or the book. The witches names were Elphaba and Nessarose, not Evanorah and Theadorah.

February 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bell88

I completely agree. I want a movie version of Wicked so I can rewatch it over and over :)

It doesn't sound like this is going to be a musical either.... which would make it a far cry from Wicked. I wonder if they're going to follow Wicked's story at all or make up their own backstory to the characters....

February 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • javs

Agreed. I loved the musical so much I don't know if I could enjoy what would seem like, in my mind, a "spin off". Yes, they're all spin offs, but Wicked was the first one I saw and liked so it'll always be the standard for me (didn't really like The Wizard of Oz movie for some reason). I'm hoping that this movie won't prevent a theatrical of Wicked from ever happening...

February 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coleman

I agree with all of you. I haven't seen the musical Wicked but read the book and when I read this story I was kinda like..eh...why do something that in essence has already been done. I think it would be great if they would make a movie based on Maguire's book.

February 22, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  121. Superhiro

She will forever be Meg Griffon to me.

February 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Monday

After seeing her in The Black Swan.. I know she definitely can play a dark role. And well. And be one of the hottest things I've seen while doing it. xP

February 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  123. kdragona

Last I checked, the Wicked Witch of the West's sister was the Wicked Witch of the East. Looks like Hollywood is going to mess up yet another movie.

February 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

The article states what you wrote. I don't see what you're upset about.

February 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • batgirl

Not as up on your Oz history as you thought! or you can't read.

February 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billie

and also, can I just say that there is more than one version of the Wizard of Oz. Ever seen 'Tin Man' which is a demented version of the Wizard of Oz–in that version DG (Dorothy Gale) and the Witch were estranged sisters.

The great thing about movies and stories is that writers can change things and take liberties to make new stories for everyone to enjoy.

February 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • kdragona

It said north earlier today. They must have changed it.

February 18, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lean6

Don't you just love when you are made to look like a fool after making a worthless anal comment about a typo or similar triviality?

February 19, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

The author of the article must be relative of the Scarecrow, ...Hint: NO BRAIN!!! So are they going to exclude the other main characters? : Tinman, Lion, Scarecrow....and who gets to play the flying monkeys? I think Harry Potter should star as Dorothy's long lost brother or cousin and Professor Scape as a different character and cast spells left and right against the Wicked Witch -- !!!!! Why all the hubub about the 'good' witches...I think they could make an awesome 3D horror flick out the original story line!!!!!! geez, no imagination!!!!

February 19, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

What would be really cool is to redo Rocky Horror Picture Show – with ya know, the great actresses as: Lindsey Lohan as Columbia, Jack Black as Edddiiiiiiieeeeeee!!!!, Susan Sarandon do the role over as Janet Weeiissssss!! Jim Carrey as Brad Majors, Paris Hilton as Riff Raff, Eddie Murphy as Frank N'Furter, Donald Trump as 'The Criminologist', Glee Club as Time Warp singers, etc etc... LMAO!

February 19, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • selmore

Its a prequel. There wont be those characters! Think "Wicked" on Broadway

February 19, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • sharky

I think this might confuse fans of the musical and book Wicked more given the name was Elphaba not Evanorah.

February 19, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

It's Theodorah, not Evanorah.
      Theo = Witch-o-West
      Evan = Witch-o-East

February 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  124. hmmmmmm

when?where?.....pictures?

February 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Joe

Then, sadly, you woke up when your mommy called you down for breakfast.

February 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  126. how about a remake of plan 9 from outer space

Macaly Culkin go away nobody cares. In fact no one has cared about u since home alone 2.

February 20, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  127. templar

i think mila can play any role. i think she is a very talented actress and we haven't even begun to she her true potential yet.

February 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  128. TicTok

I don't understand why everyone wants a Wicked musical – the original book was much more visceral. I did like the musical, but when compared to the book, I thought it was a bit simplistic. Would love to see this movie more along the lines of the Baum books or Gregory Maguire's story about Elphaba in his book.

February 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Jim

Brilliant response, Rebal. How all morons respond to something they don't like; instead of coming up with solutions, they just whine and complain and call people names. So, yes, I'm calling you a name, but I'm also providing a solution to your problem: write a screenplay better than what you're complaining about and get it made. You don't like what Hollywood is giving you? Make something better. All you need is 120 blanks sheets of paper and a pen. Go to it. Nothing? Thought so.

February 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  130. panopticon7

brilliant response, Jim. if someone doesn't like the work, you suggest they create better work. let's look at this genius non-solution in depth here. say you need your car repaired. say the mechanic you hire fails. your solution? don't point out the problem. no, no, no! no, says Jim, no–don't complain, fix it yourself! can't fix it yourself? then you have nothing to complain about! like magic, Jim feels all better about his inability to provide the solution he claims isn't merely more whining. here's a better–and by better, i mean actual–solution. when someone airs their view and you don't like that view and you have literally nothing to add to the conversation? suffer in silence, Jim. meantime, we'll all appreciate who notes specific issues so that others may discuss specific solutions. (not that your target did either)

February 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  131. yeayeayea

@panoptic: Your analogy makes no sense. Paying to go to a movie or buy a DVD is a choice. If you don't like the choices that are available, you can either get in the business yourself or stop complaining about them. It's much more akin to books; if you don't like the way children's books are being written, write a better one or just don't buy any. In the case of a car being broken down and the mechanic flubbing the job, of course you would point out what's wrong. That is a situation that is hazardous to your life and the lives of others on the road. Also, in that case, you are personally hiring a mechanic to perform a specific job for you. Not the same as going out and selecting a product that is pre-made. I happen to believe that Jim is absolutely right... there is way too much whining and complaining about trivial issues like this. We live in a world of gimmes who want everything their way. All they can do is complain about stupid things like the quality of movies when they should be using their energy a little more productively.

February 20, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  132. Ronn Vest

Hey Rebal what critically acclaimed production have you made lately? What innovations are you introducing into the world? What creative ideas do you have in your job? Get a Life and then we can all yawn you.

February 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Peter

Shut Up Meg!!

February 21, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  134. LightTheLamp

she's good. The movie sounds dumb.

February 21, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  135. Hollywood

No, Rebal, YOU suck!

February 22, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  136. MrBo

There's a prequel already. It's a Broadway play called Wicked. And it's freaking awesome.

February 23, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |