Dina Lohan: Lindsay gave advice to Charlie Sheen
February 18th, 2011

Dina Lohan: Lindsay gave advice to Charlie Sheen

In a recent radio interview, Charlie Sheen offered advice to fellow troubled star Lindsay Lohan, telling her to work on her impulse control and think before she acts. Now the actress's mother, Dina Lohan, has a few words to say about her daughter and Sheen as well.

"He's 40-odd years old and Lindsay's 24," Dina said in an interview with "Good Morning America" Friday morning, adding that she doesn't understand why people constantly draw comparisons between the two.

"I love his show, he's a talented actor. He's been in the business a lot longer than my daughter. He's from Hollywood, his father is a talented actor, his step-brother… I just think that Lindsay took his advice and she gave him advice as well," said Dina.

And that advice? "Just get help."

Which is what Lindsay herself has done, Dina says in an interview airing on "20/20" tonight.  "I believe [that Lindsay doesn't drink anymore], and I think it's gonna be a lifelong struggle with addiction. But I think she's gonna be okay," Dina tells Chris Cuomo in the interview.  Still, she admits, it took her daughter some time to get to that place.

"You know, you have to be ready as an individual," says Dina. "It's not just gonna happen. You have to hit your own bottom."

Dina saw Lindsay spiraling out of control early on, but, "I just didn't tell anyone about it. It was a personal situation. I saw it visually, what was happening. You know, I'm around my children. I was around Lindsay a lot, and I saw what was happening. I grabbed the bull by the horns and tried to get her help immediately."

That included a less-than-successful stay in rehab in 2007. Lindsay would go on to get busted for drunk driving, serve three short jail terms and complete five more rehab stints. She is now facing charges of felony grand theft over a necklace she claims she forgot to return to a Los Angeles jewelry store.

While the press has blamed Dina for Lindsay's troubles, calling her a typical stage mom, she denies that she's a bad parent.

"I can't always fight what they're saying or thinking of me. And I'm — I'm certainly not that person," says the self-described "lifelong entertainer." "So when people say, 'Oh, she's living off her children or her kids,' or we're all in this business... I grew up in this business. That's what I know."

Dina says Lindsay is still struggling and "learning as she goes," but she believes she is well on the road to recovery.

"I really think she was at a maturation level that she now understands what she needs to get from it," she says. "And she grasps that."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Lindsay Lohan • movies • television

1. best finances

We're a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You've done an impressive job and our whole group will likely be grateful to you.

July 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. margaret

If we as people would quit discussing lilo mabe she d go away.

February 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mista X

Why don't these 2 just get a medicinal marijuana prescriptions. I'd bet they would all quit making for making fools of themselves all over the news like they do now. I know a lot of people are going to say OMG that's wrong but cannabis ingestion has been scientifically proven to help dependency of way more harsher drugs like alcohol and cocaine. It also can't kill you, not even a chance of lung cancer.

February 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. stapbc85

@nusiance. could care less about any of it but youre a retard if u havent at least tried watching 2 1|2 men. its hilarious

February 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. anita

That woman needs to crawl back under what ever rock she crawled out from under.

February 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. GmeMstr

"Lifelong entertainer"? Hmm...let's check IMDB. Nope, nothing there. Ah, then she must be in "Who's who in Musicals". Ah...not there either. "List of USA Stand up Comedians"? Still a blank.

What the heck was she entertaining?

This woman is a joke. I honestly don't understand why she keeps getting on talk shows. I'm waiting for Lind's to publically say, "You know what? Just shut the hell up mother."

February 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jo

ICK!

February 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Clete

I though this article was about Dina Lohan. Why is there a picture of Greg Alman?

February 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PoodleSweat

This is great stuff people. This is exactly what we should expect from celebrities. Instead of looking up to them like they are superior, we should take them for what they are meant to do and that is entertain us on and off the screen. Their self-destruction is priceless. They make their own bed and sometimes choke on their own vomit in that bed and I think we owe it them stand up and...point and laugh. Bravo! Bravo!

February 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

As messed up as your comment was, I have to say it was quite entertaining.

February 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

Who's calling the kettle black?

February 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joan

Dina did u grow up w her. She should get a ranch away from hollywood. Venice bch is trouble my blessings to her

February 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. pepperkeys

Maybe they should marry, combine their considerable incomes & open a free rehab facility for their fellow revolving door colleagues. Should be a waiting list.

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sue Speakman

Umm, Dina, Sweetie, you just keep on flappin' those lips are yours and emabarass yourself (I felt so badly for you today) and just don't seem to have a clue. Charlie Sheen? Step-brother? Who is that? Oh Dina, have another drink hun.

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nusiance

It's funny most of the comments are sparring between the "commenters" and has nothing to do with the topic at hand – that neither one of these people deserve the time of day. I have never seen Lohan in a movie and have never watched one episode of Two and one half Men. I really feel that I haven't missed a thing.

February 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Red Dawn

What a stupid b****! Her daughter is a walking time bomb and she is running her mouth like a stupid b***h would do.

February 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. love that charlie

I know for a fact Martin Sheen changed his name from Estevez. He worked as a young kid with my grandfather for Dolly Madison In Dayton Ohio. Emilio & Charlie are true brothers. They still have family in the area also.

February 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jkhgfdd

Martin Sheen is Cuban his last name IS Esteves. He uses Sheen as his stage name Geez.

February 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Emilio

THE FACT, Martin Estevez and Janet Sheen had 4 children including my brother Charlie Estevez who along with his father took Sheen's (wife and mother respectively) name. I maintained my father's birth name as my own.

February 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • kufan

Sheen was born Carlos Irwin Estevez in New York City in 1965, the youngest son and third of four children born to actor Martin Sheen and artist Janet Templeton. Charlie took the same stage name as his father, who had adopted it in honor of the Catholic archbishop and theologian Fulton J. Sheen.[

February 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. JustAnotherGirl

Really? The girl has enough problems of her own, is she really in a position to be giving advice? She makes it sound like she's 'all healed' or something. Poor thing needs to get some more help herself and THEN maybe she'll be in a position to give that advice...

February 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. John

Let charlie, Dina and Lindsay all overdose and die. They are all worthless people anyway.

February 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. love charlie

Actually Martin Sheens last name was Estevez!!! He worked when he was around 18 or so with my grandfather for Dolly Madison in Dayton Ohio. He changed it to Sheen as an actor. He still has family in the area i believe under Estevez.

February 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mike

Charlie has had one too many close calls. While he may think he knows himself well enough to control his situation, I kind of believe he is going to suffer relaspe after relapse, until such time as he gets professional help.
    Charlie is a talented actor, but he needs to kick his habits for good if he ever hopes to return to his true potential.
    Last good movie I saw him in was that sci-fi thriller, "Arrival". But, it's been a while since then.

February 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. doc

I was under the empression...that father Martin Sheen's given name was Estevez....and he changed it to the stage name Sheen...but Emilio kept the sir name to distance himself from his fathers career ?...

February 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dale

isn't that calling the kettle black.those two,are the last two,to give advice to anyone.both LOSERS!

February 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. MrsFizzy

With friends like that......!

February 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ginger51

Actually you are partially correct on the bros, Emilio took his mother's maiden name, not Sheen. Martin Sheen's last name is not Esteves.

February 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • kygirl

Martin Sheen's real name is Ramon Gerardo antoinio Estevez.

February 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Movie girl

Actualy ginger51– you are wrong. Estevez is Martin Sheen's real last name. His wife's maiden name is Templeton. Charlie and Emelio are brothers choosing to use two different professional names

February 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • you2

His real name is DOS X beer.

February 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. kittybling

HA! That's a laugh – did he try to sleep with her too? Not only that they could be partners in crime.

February 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Fashionista

I think this women would make a nice pair of shoes with a matching belt.

February 18, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Massive Marbles

Charlie, normally when someone gives advice, its when the advice works for them. If you were a poor man, you'd be homeless!

February 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. rolyat

Look at Dina Lohan in this picture. Trying to look 22 with that long blond hair. What a mess she is. Her face looks like a 100 miles of bad road. If Lindsay were smart, she would cut all contact with her parents. Then she'd be fine. But we all know Linsday cannot do that and needs to keep it together and work. She has two parents to support. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

February 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Munch

I don't like how Dina said "Lindsay's 24" like that makes it okay for her to be some drug and alcohol addict. She's not a teenager anymore. Mommy needs to stop acting like she's still just a little kid and let her take responsibility for her actions. And I don't think this is good for Lindsay's recovery, her mom talking about her to paparazzi all the time. That's probably just adding the pressure.

February 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • lbw

ABSOLUTELY. I think "afraid to be mature" parents keep their children juvenile for far too long so the adult can keep the illusion of youth. That is why too many older teens and twenty somethings act so immature. DIna, Billy Ray ect, act your age so the next generation will. You raise adults not children, or you should.

February 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Marco555

She's an ass.

February 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Meh

Wow – she really said for HIM to get help?

February 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Anthony B.

Hey Dina: Emilio Estevez isn't Charlie Sheen's step-brother you dingdong. They are actual brothers. Martin Sheen's real last name is Estevez. I know that is a minor detail, but every time this broad opens her mouth she sounds dumber and more uninformed than Sarah Palin. You've done such a wonderful job raising your kids. Atta Girl!!

February 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • FightForYourRightToParty

The reason she sounds dumberand less informed than Palin is because she is a Democrat.

February 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

@FightForYourRightToParty: Even Sarah Palin and Dina Lohan don't come off as dumb and less informed than you do. Do everyone a favor and keep your stupid commentary on the Rush Limbaugh program with all the other tin foil hat wearing d'bags.

February 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allie

HAHA I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. I laughed out loud.

February 18, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iheart Sam

@Sam – You are an angry man. You should be a good democrat and take your anger out on your tranny boyfriend.

February 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*cheryl

U are right. She just needs to shut up already

February 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  35. edward

Neither one of these stars is in a position to give each other advice when they can't control their own addictions. They won't stop until it either kills them or they really wake up and decide to deal with it.

February 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. WOWW

Bill, you don't even know these people. I don't know why you're going out of your way to post on all the topic and speak poorly of these individuals. If anything, I think it shows how desperate or maybe jealous you are. It's quite pathetic actually, just saying.

February 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • mobrule

yeah, you're right, I really wish I were washed up at 24, had drug and alcohol problems, were stupid enough to think I can walk out of a store with a necklace and return it 3 weeks later with no problems, were stupid enough to think a super bowl ad was all about me, and had an enabling mom who's as stupid as I am.
      as for charlie, the guy makes $2mill/wk, partys with hot women... ok, I am jealous of him.

February 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Village Called

They're missing their idiot... that's you, WOWW.

February 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • woww v 2.0

WOWWl, you don't even know these people. I don't know why you're going out of your way to post on all the topic and speak poorly of this individual. If anything, I think it shows how desperate or maybe jealous you are. It's quite pathetic actually, just saying........ so the same can be said about you then, yes?

February 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Bill Bixby

I wish Dina Lohan had been my mom. Man, what a party my teen years would have been.

February 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Superhiro

With as much attention as these two get, you'd think they were literally the two biggest stars in hollywood. Isn't it weird that almost the complete opposite is true?

February 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • andy

I'm not the biggest Sheen fan, but the guy makes a million an episode, so like him or not, he's one of the biggest Hollywood stars.

February 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  39. saul t nutz

Shut. Up.

February 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JR

Charlie's going to take his impulse control to the grave with him.

February 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • morgans

I don't think any three of these people should hand out advice.

February 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |