'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Billy Ray's regrets - too little, too late?
February 16th, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Billy Ray's regrets - too little, too late?

Miley Cyrus’s dad now says he regrets letting Miley do “Hannah Montana," but is this admission a case of too little, too late?

I say, it’s definitely not too late! Yes, Miley’s 18 and can make her own decisions, but Billy Ray will never stop being a father no matter how old Miley gets. Billy Ray seems to be trying to regain some of the control he feels he has lost over Miley, who’s been doing some pretty wild things recently.

What do you think? Too little, too late for Billy Ray? Post your thoughts below.

Other big stories on the show today…

Liam Neeson opens up about Natasha Richardson’s death, and Christina Applegate talks about having a baby after breast cancer. Plus, Janet Jackson’s weight confessions on HLN!

See you on "Showbiz Tonight" live at 5 p.m. ET and again at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN today!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. Meh

No 18 year old is capable of making their own decisions...period.
    Thank whatever he doesnt wear that horrid mullet anymore. That was pathetic as was the music....just like his daughter will turn out.

February 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Superhiro

Not that I particularly care about either of these people, but this seems like it's being way overblown. So she smoked a little salvia or whatever. It's not the end of the world.

February 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. valjud+access

i think shes great!

February 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alexander Ivanoff

A lot of this is Billy Ray Cyrus' fault to begin with, but at least we don't hear of Miley totaling $100k Mercedes-Benz's or anything along that line. But yes, there seems to be questionable parenting here. But I'll agree with an earlier poster, she's not a bad kid as the law hasn't been onto her like Lindsay Lohan, and she hasn't tanked her career so far.

February 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dee

as long as she hasn't had her Britney moment on stage at the MTV awards and dancing like a drunk bobble head, then,she's ok in my book.. my dad was this way when my sister as her age.. but never me, i'm so awesome haha..

February 17, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dprang

Miley has had way too much fame at such an early age. The sad thing is that very young girls want to emulate her. For that reason, I am glad her dad has made this statement. She seems spoiled to me. Personally, I do not get it...I mean the talent part. My daughter's attention to stars was with Britney, but even I could see the talent there. Mine was Madona, and she had admirable drive.

February 17, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. D

She's taking the steps heading down that road and doesn't look like she's slowing down-I didn't do any of that when I was 18-I was forced to grow up and take responsibility and take care of myself so I didn't have time to party or smoke bongs or even drink that much. I had to have a clear mind. I still don't do that crap-so I can say that she's being irresponsible. Like she said she 'cant be tamed' Lets hope she wakes up and see's that. I think her dad shouldn't have put her in showbiz and let her grow up like a normal kid.

February 17, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

This discussion is getting absurd! An 18-year-old adult takes one hit from a bong and drinks one beer and the whole world, including her father, acts like she's Lindsay Lohan! This is the biggest bunch of overkill nonsense I've ever heard. We know better what Miley Cyrus does in her life than we know what our own 18-year-old kids are doing because our kids don't have cameras following them 24/7 taking pictures of them. So we know pretty well that she does not drink as a habit, like lots of 18-year olds do. She doesn't go to wild parties every weekend, like most 18-year olds do, she works 14-hour days, is always on time to work and never complains about it, unlike most 18-year olds, and in general, although she's gotten wild on occasion, she's not such a bad kid. Suggesting that she needs rehab, like Dr. Drew did last night, is simply irresponsible and amounts to slander.

February 16, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JD

Miley is a teenager and teenagers do stupid stuff. Remember Drew Barrymore at that age?

February 16, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meh

Serious train wreck there. Her mom was way hotter than Drew though.

February 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. D

I hope she can get her life on track, and he steps up as a father...just because she's 18 doesn't mean your not her father anymore...

February 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nicole

I love the cyrus family. i hope they will solve out there problems and i also really hope that Miley knows that her father has her best interest.

February 16, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Auds

The dollar signs in his eyes must have blinded him when he was signing the release forms to let her work on the show at such a young age. Pul-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeez BRC...looking for a scapegoat. Look in the mirror to find out who ruined your family and your daughter!!!

February 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. opie

Dont smell my faaart
    My smelly smelly faaart
    It might make you throw up
    In your haaaaaand

February 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. kneegrow

Isnt he the whiteey that used to have a mullet and sing real terrible country music ? If this redneeck reeetard was my dad i would be smoking something too.

February 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Loren

Where's mom in all this? Billy Ray knows the music business from the guy side. Sounds to me as if there was another person pushing this as well not named Billy Ray. Give Billy Ray credit for saying enough is enough. Let's hope Miley gets the message and cleans up her act before she becomes another flame out.

February 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

What!!! Your applauding him for speaking up now!!! He should have said no to a lot of things BEFORE she was 18. He made a mistake talking to the media. She wasn't talking to him before this I can't believe he was this stupid–should I call him Billy Lohan now. He can't do anything about it now. She's an adult. He should have not let the pic show up on Vanity fair, he shouldn't have let her date a 20 year old when she was 16 and he was living in the house too!! He has another son born the same year as Miley!

February 16, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. LBW

Billy Ray never really talks about his other children. Doesn't he have five or six children? Are any of those kids worth as much as Miley? I didn't think so.

February 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jan Barr

Heydid Miley Cyrus suffer a stroke due to smoking saliva ?
    seriously there is a video up on youtube right now talking about it and comparing it to that news reporter who went in to a babble fit at the Grammys!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5U8-KdtnRk&w=640&h=390]