Johnny Depp doesn't want his kids in showbiz
February 15th, 2011

Johnny Depp doesn't want his kids in showbiz

While celebrity parents like Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith may encourage their kids to pursue show business careers, Johnny Depp doesn't want his children following in his footsteps.

"I’d be horrified," he tells CNN of how he would react if daughter Lily-Rose and son Jack became entertainers.

Depp, whose partner Vanessa Paradis is an actress/singer/model, explains that being a performer involves too much heartache.

"Once you’ve sort of been on the campus grounds for as long as any of us have, you have a great understanding of the amount of rejection that is involved initially and right on through," Depp, who lends his voice to the new animated film "Rango," tells CNN.

So what kind of career does he want for his kids?

"You would hope that they would want to do something a little more… you want your kid to be Picasso, you want your kid to be a great painter or great poet," he says. "You don’t want them to have a boss.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Yvette Depp

We think that he is a reasonable man. He knows what goes on in the business . Its obvious that he does not want them to be exposed to all of the ills.

February 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bhanu

Well I know why my dad didn'nt allow me into this industry lolz. And I agree with Vanessa its not easy to face rejection and obvious comparisons. So if they dont want their kids to be a part of it, its for their good.

February 16, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. ABLACKTV

WHY does everyone always bash the Smith family...they dont force theyre kids into show business, only guide and finance there dreams. They like that they do, and they are good at it, and you can see it in every interview, and performance. Some people or born to be stars, famous parents are not, others arent and dont have the capacity to handle that lifestyle. At the end of the day, it doesnt matter what Johnny wants for his kids, its what they want for themselves, and by the way they are all richer that us anyway so, I'm sure they wont have a boss Johnny, they can literally live off the sales of Pirates of Caribean dvds

February 16, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Eaton Butts

Im hot and still doable!!

February 16, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Merin

Johnny's kids live in France...buy a vineyard and live quiet, happy lives.

February 16, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. cisco27

Umm hello people–his kids will NEVER have to work a day in their lives. He's worth hundreds of millions–they will inherit a fortune and his children's children will not have to work either. Good for them; if they want to be deadbeat poets with no income, they can be and not worry about money EVER. Having a boss is the least of Depp's children's worries.

February 16, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Marie7

Unless he leaves his money to good causes and expects the children to earn their own living – it has been known!

February 16, 2011 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Kawa

Cisco27; what are you talking about when you say deadbeat poet? I don't think I follow you. You see, Depp is an artist, not an entertainer as everyone so sadly tries to peg him as. He understands the importance of keeping hope in his children's eyes and trying to steer them away from heartache- which obviously you know nothing of his experiences in the industry.
      I understand his point of view because I too am an artist, poet and a mother of three boys, two of which are already teens. I don't know what sort of music you listen to but the only difference between a poet and a song writer is the music. The only reason at this point why most artists and poets and even musicians suffer from lack of money is because they do it for the sake of art and inspiring rather than for the sake of money- that does not mean they are deadbeats. I rather my children know the meaning of life through the arts rather than be stuck with the idea that the more money you have the more worth you have. I say bravo to Johnny Depp, he is an amazing person and a terrific father!

February 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Beautiful Vixen

@Sally by all means this is not being said to be disrespectful but what you really wanted to say was that he is hot and still doable..lol! I hear you lady ..wink.

February 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Riptide

Ah I see. So if I have a boss then I must be a failure. Thanks Johnny!

February 15, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • April

That is absolutely, positively NOT what he said, or even remotely close to what he meant. Man. It must be a sad existence, always looking for a reason to be offended...

February 16, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • flyonthewall

Really.........than I suggest that they live off Dad's money and fame for the rest of their lives.

February 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Karen

Good he doesn't encourage them toward the business but wouldn't he help them if they told him they wanted to go into the business?

February 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sally

I am an OLD lady and I still think Johnny can do no wrong. He is the best actor around and whatever he says, goes!

February 15, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mrnoitall

He needs to let his kids make thier own decisions, or the only TV show they will be on will be Celeberty Rehab.

February 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superhiro

Good man. Will and Jada Smith, take notes!!

February 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |