Lady Gaga: I smoke a lot of pot when I write music
February 14th, 2011

Lady Gaga: I smoke a lot of pot when I write music

Well, this might explain her arrival in an egg at the Grammy awards.

In an interview with "60 Minutes," Lady Gaga admitted that she turns to whiskey and weed when she needs to get inspired.

"I smoke a lot of pot when I write music. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it for '60 Minutes,'" the singer said in a profile that aired Sunday. "I drink a lot of whiskey and I smoke weed when I write. I don't do it a lot because it's not good for my voice."

Gaga made it clear, however, that she is not encouraging kids to do drugs, but rather simply being honest with her millions of Little Monsters. And she thinks other entertainers should be equally upfront.

"What artists do wrong is they lie," she told "AC:360's" Anderson Cooper. "And I don't lie. I'm not a liar. I built goodwill with my fans. They know who I am, and I'm just like them in so many ways."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Lady Gaga • Music • television

1. moorbmistie

buy coach bags 2010 suprisely at my estore

February 7, 2012 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. sevenearth

Forget about all kind of lost and win stuff and just think for cannabis and marijuana highs and buy drugs for that from given below site name please go on legal-highs !!!

October 8, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. sean

You guys lambasting marijuana use are hilarious. Every creative musician from the Beetles to Dylan to Hendrix to Prince to Nirvana to the Smashing Pumpkins to Animal Collective to Yeasayer and on and on and on and on smoke pot when writing music. If you think that's immoral then you clearly aren't creative or know what creativity is all about. It's about opening up your mind and body to the universal creative essence/source. Marijuana is a wonderful substance for this. My social, sensory, sensual, and personal life has been immeasurably affected in a positive way by marijuana and my creative output, both musically and artistically has been helped my my use of marijuana more than anything else.
    To anyone who hasn't tried it....do try. It's not harmful. The only people who seem to think it is are probably mid-western home-school Christian parents without an ounce of originality or creativity in the fiber of their bland boring being. Their own consolation is to get on article comment sections and spew their paranoia out to the world. It's sad...but more funny than anything.
    Smoke pot...write music...see if you don't absolutely love it. I do and many many others do as well. This world is a BETTER place because of both marijuana and music. Don't listen to those who would seek to limit your potential to live a full and rich human experience on this amazing planet.

May 6, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brainy Yak

She's probably lying to be controversial. These new artists are machines programmed by their record labels and don't do anything that isn't pre-approved. Especially anything that could lead to a stretch mark. But if she's not lying, big freaking deal. I know musicians who do that every night and it doesn't hamper their ability to play or sing at all.

Just, for the love of Chrysler, don't breed, lady.

February 16, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. CoolCat

Can anyone tell me why the hell do we really care what this white trash smokes? She's a DUDE.

February 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Andrew

Great. There goes the legalization debate. Thanks a lot Lady Gaga, now weed will never be legal.

February 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gary

Musicians, sports figures, movie stars, etc. should not be considered role models. Role models are parents and family. Parents raise and mold children, not entertainment. These people should not be chastised for who they are, parents should for allowing the children THEY should be molding to allow others to do it.

February 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

I'm never smoking again, out of spite for Gaga. Many great artists smoke or drink for inspiration (and many abstain or use other drugs), but most have the dignity not to brag about it, like a teenage girl desperate to convince people that she's cool. Gaga has unfortunately become successful due to the low standards of American pop music, and is little more than a sideshow who is better known for her shenanigans than from her music. She seems so vain and so desperate for attention, to the extent that she thinks it's newsworthy that she smokes weed while writing music, as if she were the first musician to do so. As a side note, even my grandma is hip enough to know that it's not called "pot" anymore.

February 15, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. GAG

i think shes lying-she's smoking more than just pot

February 15, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. saftgek

So, the Freak of Freaks is an admitted doper. Explains a great deal, I think.

Take a freakish female(?), add freakish wardrobe, blend in profound absence of talent and morality, and – what do you get? That's it – – – Lady GagGag.

February 15, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. Aces

The Bieber is acually Lady GOO GOO in drag. Ooops no penis there, guess I was wrong.

February 14, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Juan Valdez

coffee is better for you. aaaaaah the aroma of our fresh blend nondecaffinated columbian coffee beans

February 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. D

If someone needs alcohol or drugs to write songs and be 'creative' then we dont owe a lot of awards to the artist, but to the drugs and alcohol! Where's the natural and real creativity?

February 14, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brad

I wish she would not link her creativity to pot, it gives a great drug a bad name. I have smoked pot for 11 years and i have never done hard drugs, and i drink socially on average once a month.

February 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

A doper is a doper. One can paint an outhouse any color one wishes, but it's STILL an outhouse! Sugar-coat being a doper anyway one can, but the message is the same. There's a reason they call it DOPE!

February 15, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Brazil Native

No doubt, it sure sounds like it. What else can U do? Hang upside down and suck blood?

February 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ekc

Yep I knew something had to be wrong with her the day she wore a meat dress. Wake up people! She is really OFF THE CHAIN! And why the heck does she call their fans MONSTERS??? That's weird as well. She smokes and drinks while she writes, wears meat for clothes, shows up to the Grammy Awards in an egg, wants to launch a fragrance consisting of blood and semen, what's next Lady GA?

February 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jose

Damn I guess people.? How people fear and judge the different. I like Lady Gaga but I'm not a hug fan. Also so what if she smoke pot. Ooooooooo scary pot

February 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jephro

I am so sick of people that post in comments sections of article/blogs on the int0rtubez......oh wait....wut?

February 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Beautiful Vixen

Lol

February 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LBW

All that weed and whiskey and the best she's got is jumping out of an egg? It's not too far from the old jump out of a cake.

February 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Peter

Hate to say it [actually don't care and am happy to say it], but read the history of the greatest music of the 20th and apparently the 21st century as well...and you'll find a joint nearby. It's a know "creative lubricant" and without it we'd be a lot poorer culture...thank you ganja...you are here for a reason! The Beatles and Stones did just fine and so did Yes, Led Zepplin, Who, Floyd and every single Rap star...WHO STILL CARES about little harmless herbage? It's not for everybody...just the creative types or those that appreciate such things.

February 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • KGB101.5

Yes, but you can't compare this bubble brain to the big guns of rock & roll of the past. All this chick does is make believe and sells her noise to all the kids who don't even know the words to our National Anthem. In a few years no one will even know who this crack head is.

February 14, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jeff

If all the songs that were written while being high on marijuana were removed from the global catalog there would no music left. Most musicians I know smoke, myself included... I really don't think of this as a "big deal".

Most art was done on some sort of mind alterating substance... By the way it should be legal!

February 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Joe The Man!!

Hanne- ur a freak

February 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  24. 2011 Model

thanks for sharing

February 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Maureen

I think that she is immature and self-absorbed.There are such things as wisdom, discernment and discretion in mature people. As she ages and has some life experiences, hopefully she'll find that out.

February 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Frobious

I have to comment because...even though she admited to smoking weed and drinking to write her music.... Alot of singer song writers do alot more than just smoke a bowl in order to make music. Sorry to say its American culture. Legalize today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Arglebargle

Ho hum. Something tells me it's something quite a bit stronger than pot. But who cares. Never listen to her.

February 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. logan

Wow, a musical artist who uses drugs and alcohol to get creative!?!? Thats a first!

February 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Santos

Must of gotten a bad batch cause her music sounds like moose in heat. Where the hell do they find these new so called singers? Where are the 60s and the 70s when singers smoked the best weed in town? Too bad its only a memory.

February 14, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Matthew

This story is just like everything else about this hack, BS. I guess the Bieber thing stole her monday thunder. So her pr folks threw this out there, and cnn took the bait. As for those worried about her "voice"; I don't think it'll effect her "music" either way. Seeing as she's got studio magic & industry music writers/pr on her side. I will say tho, she's proof one can smoke pot and still do as they're told.

February 14, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Isabella Gloria

Wow.. Go back to high school and get your diplomas, people. (:

February 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Blogix

I don't believe it.

February 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Isabella Gloria

There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with smoking marijuana.

If she's worried about her voice she can vape and eat it instead, and I bet she does (:

I love you Mama Monster!

February 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

Your profound absence of common sense, judgment, and morality is very sad. There is EVERTHING wrong with using dope! May you experience an epiphany in life that turns your focus beyond the amoral and rebellious. Please stop thumbing your nose at propriety and morality.

February 15, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  33. anonymous

You smoke pot to write and you're admitting this? For crying out loud you freak of nature, you're supposed to be a role model (though you're nothing more than Madonna spit-up). SO sick of you.

February 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • tinc

No, she is NOT supposed to be a role model. The fact that millions of kids and adults alike enjoy her music does not require that she become their role model. You live in a lah-lah land if you think the entire world needs to conform to your sensibilities just to make YOUR life easier and alleviate YOUR responsibilities as a parent. SO sick of people like YOU.

February 14, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

She is not a role model, she is an artist. Parents are role models, she's an artist... Maybe the parents need that reminder!

February 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nacho Libre no more

Can someone get her some better weed? Paul McCartney should know of some good stuff. Let's ask him.

February 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RETRIEVER2

Yup, 100 years back you could have made a fortune putting her in the back of a covered wagon and charging 50c a peek....come to think of it ...... probably still could

February 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • @retriever2

u fat dum moron, she IS making a forture and touring the world living the life your lame brain couldn't even dream of. Go get some more potato chips you retriever.

February 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack&Jill

Wouldn't see her for free. Worthless chick can't even dance or sing, does she write her own music? Probably can't even read or write. Another "Madonna" wanna be.

February 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. starwhite

This artist should be ashamed to admit that she uses an illegal substance. Smoking dope is not healthy, smoking is bad period. What a great role model for children to look up to! Not! This creep is as brazen as a monkey glorifying her addiction. Children should breathe clean air, not smoke.

February 14, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • tinc

yeah she should just lie and snort cocaine like everyone else. I'm sorry but this woman has probably been more productive in her life so far (she's 22 or 24 I think) than you have been your whole life. I think if an artist has the self control to balance such things in their life, they deserve to be praised for it.

February 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Lady Gaga is not a role model, she is an artist. Parents are role models, not Lady Gaga... Maybe the parents need that reminder!

If you were to go through you music collection 90% of it was written on some sort of mind altering substance... Legal or not does not matter.

We all deserve to hear great art (not that I would consider Lady Gaga great art, but for the discussion...) and go back to your Elvis Presley, Louis Armstrong, The Beatles, Miles Davis, John Contrane, Jimi Hendrix, etc... albums and tell me again that marijuana has no place in music. Marijuana is a VERY CREATIVE drug!

Marijuana should be legal anyway!

February 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ricky Martian

It should be legal, so I can sprinkle it in my menudo. What the hell is this chick wanting to do anyway? And why are we even listening to her crap anyway?

February 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. pcow

I think there are many good food for habit. So why smoke or whiskey. She know that it's harmful for her voice also she take it. So we can just literate mad.

Go to the link and see exclusive video footage.

February 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  37. David C

Her smoking pot while writing her music pales in comparison to what I would have to ingest just to listen to her music.

February 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. KJM1968

Well I smoked a lot of pot and listed to Gaga, and it still stinks.

February 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • KGB101.5

Well said there friend. Music just isn't what it used to be. Now it's all machines and mirrors.

February 14, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Proud Canadian

GaGa your an amazing songwriter, singer, dancer and a huge inspiration to millions all over the world! PS the is NOTHING wrong with smoking Weed in fact, smoking weed brings out the creativity in many singers and song writers! But most of all your public image, and everything u stand for :) u are the voice of the bullied, the gays!

Keep up the great work! And remember your a SUPERSTAR and You were BORN THIS WAY

February 14, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

These comments from "Proud Canadian" just caused the methane meter to spike. What nonsense!

February 15, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Bam-Bam

What the HELL are you smokin'? She sounds like CRAP.

February 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norway

She looks like Charles Manson in draaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggg.

February 15, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. jjfromnyc

i wouldn't be surprised if she never smoked weed her entire life

February 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Metro Prime

gaga shouldn't do that–the government said it's not good for you and may lead to harder drugs.

February 14, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • idontevenknow

Are you serious! Hahaha!

February 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck el Gordo

It was probably OREGANO. What an airhead.

February 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

You are correct! It IS bad, and DOES lead to use of other drugs. I am aware your comments were sarcastic. Too bad, because your comments are spot-on!

February 15, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  42. Doo Doo Brown

By the way the lyrics go...I can tell gaga! i bet you hit the moonshine and scream :"alejandro, alejandro" too.

February 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. ayala

It's not helping.

February 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  44. gMoney

Does it help you think to yourself you don't look like a man.

February 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  45. MadCityBabe

shut up Mz. GagMe......................so tire of "artists" proclaiming their use of illegal drugs for creative purposes.............you booz hound

February 14, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Bill Bixby

If he's not a liar, why doesn't he admit he's got a wiener?

February 14, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cody Brouk

You sir, are badly misinformed, Lady Gaga is not a guy and if you had watched the interview you would understand that, you should appreciate my mercy in this post, next time I will not be so kind

February 14, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

LOL BRO LIKE YOUR SO SCARY ON THE INTERWEB R U GONNA SAY MEAN WORDS ABOUT HOW LADY GAGA HAS A NICE JOHNSON AND SHE GAVE IT TO YOU REAL GOOD AND NOW YOU ARE HER BUT BUDDY

February 14, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • jdubbs

@ Bill Bixby – That's the best comment on this article

February 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan

You are retarded.

February 14, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fearful

The intertubes tremble at the thought of Cody Brouk's wrath!

February 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • SureThang

You mean she's got a PETER???? That's worse than smoking some bad weed. Oh my Billies, what this world is coming to. This country needs an enema.

February 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Incredible Hulk

@Cody Brouk. Bring it on bishhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

February 15, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  47. Victor

And this is a surprise to who???

February 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Hanne

I am not a Gaga fan, but I am glad she is honest. Weed helps a lot of people focus their thoughts and writings. Legalization of weed is long overdue.

February 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoJo

Make sure its the good stuff cause whatever she's smoking it ain't helping her. Trash this B___H.

February 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Superhiro

In a way I'm sort of suprised it's something as mild as pot. Crack sounds a bit more believable.

February 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. derp

"I smoke a lot of pot when I write music"

We could tell

February 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • BieberPosterBuster

The bubble head was probably smoking some oregano, what a dip$%#@.

February 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Superhiro

LOL, well that explains a whole lot. Well at least she's honest. :P

February 14, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fromoj

Finally, Gaga has jumped the shark. We're finally close to the end.

February 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bringinit

She also did a lot of cocaine when I was banging her, did a line right off my tallywacker.

February 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |