Barbra Streisand explains 'Glee' dis
February 14th, 2011

Barbra Streisand explains 'Glee' dis

Although Barbra Streisand recently made something of a jab at Fox's hit series "Glee," Lea Michele for one isn't singing the blues.

The misunderstanding began on Friday, when at the Grammy's MusiCares tribute event in her honor, Streisand was asked if she would ever do a cameo on "Glee." According to the Hollywood Reporter, she replied, "Not if I can help it."

Since then, however, Streisand has changed her tune and is apologizing for her remark.

"When asked if I would ever appear on ‘Glee,' I should have said, 'You never know.' It was wrong to say, 'Not if I can help it,'" she wrote on her website yesterday.

"What I meant was that I’ve been overwhelmed preparing for my performance on MusiCares, the Grammys, recording a new album and starting a new movie. So I couldn’t take on any more work, and besides that, I wasn’t asked," she explained.

Streisand had especially kind words for Michele, whose "Glee" alter ego, Rachel, is also obsessed with the singing legend.

"I’m so honored that a lead character on 'Glee' is so admiring of my work," she said. "In my speech at MusiCares, I thanked them 'for exposing young people to music they might otherwise not hear today: Lea Michele, Matthew Morrison, and Darren Criss…you’re all so gifted.'"

For her part, Lea Michele couldn't be more thrilled with Streisand's remarks.

"As if this night at the Grammys wasn't amazing enough...waiting at the valet... Mrs Barbra Streisand came up to me," Michele tweeted. "I can barely breath[e]..."

And according to Michele, Streisand was just as gracious in person. "She was so wonderful, kind and beyond nice," the "Glee" star tweeted. " I can't believe I just met my idol. I feel so blessed and thankful right now..."

What do you think the odds are that Streisand will one day show up on "Glee"?

Post by:
Filed under: Awards Season • Barbra Streisand • Celebrities • Glee • Grammys • Music • television

1. This is from 2011 and nobody cares.

June 22, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Babs will never diss a thing.

June 22, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Its the same saga going on for years just juiced up because i'm reading.

mi

June 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 萬用行動電源

Merely wanna state that this is extremely helpful , Thanks for taking your time to write this. 萬用行動電源 http://www.powerbankhq.com

June 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. isaac

i thought it would be cool if the glee club was at nationals and spotted barbra in the audince. maybe she meets rachel. that could be a good way to end the season

August 14, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Krista

Anyway, it wouldn't make a lick of sense for BS to be Rachel's grandmother, not when the character of Rachel is star-struck by the mere mention of her. One would think that Rachel would know who her grandmother is, especially if her whole family knows how enamored she is of BS.

June 21, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Krista

I think it would go over better if she were herself and the cast just happened to meet her due to a friend of a friend of a friend, etc. Maybe she could be related to one of the new characters coming onto the show? Just a thought.

June 21, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. Doddie

Happy Birthday Barbara, I share the same birthday and year, hope that you have a super great birthday from SSI. Canada

April 24, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Daniel

I think barbra would do amazing on Glee. If she does come on Glee I hope it is as Rachel's grandmother.

February 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. liza

Your too old BStreisand, stop acting lke a diva, you cannot hit a high note anymore. I like your songs but not your personality. You act so high and the migthy.

February 15, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Vince

How old are you?? 12? 13? In any event, you're not worthy or qualified to have an opinion about the talent of the century. Actually, you are not worthy or qualified to lick the soles of Barbra's Stuart Weitzman pumps! GFY.

February 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ria

Barbra Streisand is probably one of the biggest divas in the world. She's like diva personified (and she deserves it). Her candor, frankness and talent are why she became famous. She's still awesome and you've got to give her props for staying power! No one is too old to be a diva if they deserve it!

April 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. T-Rex

Pee on myself that is...

February 15, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jenny

I think everyone took her comments and rolled with it to cause a fuss. So she came back and graciously cleared the air so that there are no insults. I don't think she has to do ANYTHING for PR at this point. She's Barbra Streisand.

But let me ask you this. Does everyone have to like Glee?

February 15, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. sjm752003

D – good one!

February 15, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. John N Florida

Could it be that Ms. Streisand is truly not a fan of FOX Network?
    I think her remarks truly reflect her opinion of the actors but I can't see her doing ANYTHING to improve FOX' bottom line.

February 15, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. D

Um...I didn't say Daybreaq didn't do well? I think you misunderstood my post.

February 15, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. HenryS

Daybreaq did just fine. Sounds intelligent and knowledgeable. As for Barbra Streisand, I've never been a great follower of hers, but would have to say that she did the best singing of the evening at the Grammy show.

February 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. D

I fell asleep reading Daybreaq's comment..lol

February 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Daybreaq

I think it's pretty clear Barbra meant what she said the first time and that she *really* doesn't want to appear on the TV show; but then was told by her PR that the way she said it sounded particularly ungracious so she attempted some damage control. I don't think it was intended as a diss against the show specifically, however. My guess is Barbra is a bit old school and in her POV, appearing on *any* TV show is a promotional stunt that is unnecessary for movie, stage and recording star who does not need some sort of boost to her career. It's been years since "the small screen" has truly been considered the lesser medium; but like I stated, I suspect Barbra still maintains a bit of that mentality at least subconsciously. So it wasn't really, "No, I HATE that show!" It was more "TV?! I don't need to do TV! I'm still a big star!" Seriously, she has been referenced in tons of shows, many that were highly critically acclaimed but the only TV show appearance I ever recall her doing was a two minute walk on during Mike Myers' "Coffee Talk" skit on SNL.

February 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

I take Barbra at her word and so did Lea and the cast of Glee. What's YOUR problem???

February 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. T-Rex

Glee makes me want to pee

February 14, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. D

I just don't get glee

February 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Frank

She will never be on glee but if she was it could only be as Rachel's grandma. Glee also did Funny Girl sang by Idina Menzel.

February 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. hank

She should play Rachel's grandma next season haha.

February 14, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. DUH!

It's bound to happen eventually. Glee has already paid tribute to Babs several times on the show: "Don't Rain On My Parade", "Papa Can You Hear Me?", and "Happy Days Are Here Again". And those were all performed by Rachel (Lea Michele). I think it'd be fitting to have Barbra make a cameo around the time Rachel graduates from school and the show.

February 14, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. JD

Probably.

February 14, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. tiara

Why not? It will break all records!

February 14, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Vince

YOU, my dear should also STFU. What a rude thing to say about the magnificnt Barbra!

February 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |