Mila Kunis: I wasn't raised to think I was pretty
February 11th, 2011

Mila Kunis: I wasn't raised to think I was pretty

She may play a femme fatale in most of her movies, but "Black Swan" star Mila Kunis insists she isn't hung up on her looks.

"I was never raised to think that I was pretty," she tells the March issue of W magazine. "It’s not that I was raised to think I was unattractive, but it was just never something that was pointed out to me by my family."

Read the full interview with Mila Kunis in W

Instead, her parents put their attention elsewhere. "They would point out personality traits — 'Our daughter is really quirky' — versus what I look like, because inevitably, looks go, so it makes no difference," she says.

Kunis tells W her biggest lesson about appearances came when her family moved from the Ukraine to the United States when she was 7.

Photos: More of Mila Kunis in W

The first thing she remembers seeing, says Kunis, was "a black man. It was at the American embassy [in Moscow], and all I had known were Caucasian people with blond hair, brunette hair and sometimes red hair. You’re never really taught about anything else. I think I was frightened. And the beautiful thing was, the man spoke Russian. He explained to me that there are people in this world who are of different color."

And that concept blew her mind.

"Being seven and a half," she says, "I asked him, 'Does that mean there are purple people in this world?'"

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Macaulay Culkin

Mila, please come back.

March 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ashton Kutcher

She's not pretty. She's not even close. She's pretty nasty in the sack, though.

February 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. milakunis

shut up meg!

February 23, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Meh

Id eat her for 3 weeks

February 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jimbo

I'd like to make a Mila her Kunis.

February 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Socks

So tired of people being tired of what other people say that they normally wouldn't say. Y'know?

February 17, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joe

I realize that it's useless to complain about the countless CNN articles that are completely un-newsworthy, but I felt compelled after I stumbled upon this gem. Breaking news: Mla Kunis is attractive, but her parents didn't awkwardly remind her of that fact every day. Are there really parents out there who tell their daughters how good-looking they are? I blame the journalist and Kunis for this waste of time, as well as myself for reading and responding to this article. It sounds like Kunis is trying to portray herself as humble while reminding everyone how beautiful she is, which seems to be utterly hypocritical.

February 14, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

So tired of people of people complaining about "un-newsworthy" stories from CNN, when in fact, this is a link from the ENTERTAINMENT section of CNN! Don't read the entertainment section!! But since you did, then please take it for what it is worth–dirt/stories about the entertainment industry!!

February 15, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. grofys

she has a very 60's appeal.

February 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. derp

Whil I usually have something snarky and hilarous to say about these hollywood types, Ms. Kunis is just too darn pretty to be made fun of.

Your parents were wrong dear, you are hotter than the contents of Lilo's jewelry box.

February 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

Samantha...I would like to take you out on a date and show you some of my favorite lavatories...I just love the feel of cold porcelan up against my bum bum.

February 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Samantha

Mila is gorgeous.....she has nothing to worry about....me on the other hand....hahahaha

February 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. susan

ok some people need to learn how to spell.

February 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. wlm

she is so pretty and is a great actress....

February 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron G

She is on the plus side of average on both looks and acting. Next please

February 17, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bill Bixby

I call BS on the embassy story. So, this black dude you just happened to see taught you that there are all kinds of different colored people? Right!

February 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hulk

Yeah, because of all the people here, you would know what life is like for a 7 year old in the Ukraine.

February 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. McGee

I have nothing to add – I just wanted to keep the Hulk-based names going

February 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • RedHare

We take it for granted, but there's probably a lot of people who have never seen someon who looks different from themselves. My husband's cousin had never seen a black person until he came to this country. He lived in a small village in an isolated European country. They weren't able to watch a lot of Western TV, so where would he have seen anyone who looked different from himself?

March 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TJ

She played the role of a young "Gia" in the HBO TV movie "Gia" with Angelina Jolie. I remember thinking how pretty she was in that movie and looked like a young Jolie.

February 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • bef

Actually, a young Angelina Jolie played the role of Gia in "Gia." Mila Kunis was not in it, and was only 14 at the time the movie was made.

February 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • pitweiler

Actually, TJ is right – she did indeed play the younger version of Gia in the movie.

I think every little girl needs to be told she's beautiful, because every little girl is beautiful. JMO.

February 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Toya

Purple people should be helped. It means their choking.

It's cool that she was raised by parents that didn't make a big deal about her looks. I see girls all the time who are really cute but have horrible personalities and nothing to contribute to the world. My mom told me quite often that I was pretty when I was kid but I ignored her because she's my mom. What mom would call their own child ugly? Hopefully things have changed and more parents are encouraging their daughters to be more than just pretty but only time will tell.

February 11, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  17. OOOOGA BOOOOOGA

Then her parents were telling her the trooth. OOOOOOGA BOOOOOOOGA white peoples.

February 11, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  18. OOOOGA BOOOOOGA

GOOD ! SHE ISNA PRETTY !

February 11, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  19. YUMMY

Oh yeeeaaa!!! Mila is one tastee morsel!!!

February 11, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |