February 11th, 2011

8th grader lands interview with Eminem

Eminem, 2010’s best-selling artist and a nominee for 10 Grammy Awards this weekend, has given his first interview in four months – to an eighth-grader.

Fourteen-year-old Annie Reed, a reporter for the Cavalier Corner newspaper at East Hills Middle School in Troy, Michigan, scored the phone interview last week, the Detroit Free Press reports.

Annie told the Free Press that her school newspaper instructor liked her idea of doing a piece on the Detroit rapper, but he wanted more than a biography. He encouraged her to try for the interview.

So the girl tracked down an email address for Eminem’s spokesman and fired off an interview request.

The spokesman, Dennis Dennehy, liked her spunk.

"I just thought, 'Wow, here's a middle school girl from Detroit who has some guts,' " he told the Free Press.

Eminem talked about avoiding mistakes in their 10-minute chat, Annie said.

"He told me that he dropped out of school when he was my age, and I thought about what that would be like for me if I did that right now. Then I thought, 'I like school!' "

Newspaper instructor Kenny Gechter said about 500 copies of the school paper will be available by February 22. And Annie’s big scoop is "definitely front-page material."

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. lien tom

He does rap music for white people. He's not a real rapper like Jay-Z and NAS or Tupac and Biggie. The only people I know that listen to him are messed up white people with screwed up parents and lives. Enjoy!

June 21, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. moe

she goes to myschool

February 19, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Carol

February 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Carol

Everyone has their own opinion but yet its scary how popular Eminem is. I know he has some inspirational songs like Lose Yourself but a lot of his songs are hateful and talking about killing his ex wife. My opinion is he's disgusting and I don't have to listen to him. I honestly turn the station whenever I hear anything because I have ZERO respect for this animal. He's a loser a drug addict and has only devalued rap music. I wish he would retire so we don't have to listen to his white trash rants anymore. I will never listen to this idiot so you all can have him. Next!

February 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Justin Bieber

Why didn't he interview me?? I am the Biebster. This is crap. I am gonna mess that dude up for not picking me....the star of the century. I like boys!! Booze it up. -Bieber

February 14, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. Henk in Colorado

Young lady, this country needs more people like you. To me you're a star.

February 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. james

Aint no hating going on, just think with folks like Angelina Jolie and even Madonna raising the bar for mega wealthy entertainers giving back to the community makes me wonder why I don't see anything but alot of rage coming from this man and not alot of thanks by way of charity to the communities that support his concerts and buy his music. If you don't share what you have what is the point? You aint taking it with you in the end so you might as well figure out how to give back.

February 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. James

His music is filled with so much angst, anger and rage I can't figure out what the big deal is. And as far as his commercial during Super Bowl Sunday.........give me a break. If he were any more into himself he would implode. What has he done lately for the community other than pad his pockets?

February 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Granite Sentry

There are two kinds of people in the world: Eminem, and people it's OK for 8th graders to be in the same room with. http://www.granitesentry.com

February 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jared Halvorsen

This is amazing!

February 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

Eminem is not relevant in music terms anymore. His last three albums have been the runs, its kinda sad too see how the media is all over his nuts now that he makes terrible music.

February 13, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Josie

Here is the thing...I love all kinds of music, Eminem is the only rap artist me and many of my friends actually like. His music is amazing, the lyrics are real, and you can tell it comes from him. I have heard songs with MUCH worst language, I have seen parents take kids into movies I would never take my kids into. He did not have an easy life and he has made the best of himself! I have liked him since he first came out and that was AFTER I got out of highschool. People if you don't like him, then fine...don't spread how you feel and attack others. I think it's cool he did the interview, he made a kids day and obviously gave really good advice...most likely the same advice he gives his own daughter. By the way...he's tame compared to many of the groups I listen to and love (Manson being the main one!).

February 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. yahuah

You Tube: WEAPONIZED PRAYER

February 13, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. James

I don't even like rap but look at all the ignorant people in here. Try reading his lyrics before showing your lack of intelligence.

February 13, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anthony

To the idiot who compared Eminem to Vannila Ice: I wasn't aware Vanilla Ice was the best selling artist of the decade from 2000-2010. I must've missed that. LOL. Dude's an idiot. Enough said on that haha.

February 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. american me

I hope she asked him why he's such a repulsive, POS bigot.

February 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jo

He's really grown and transformed himself. I give him huge kudos.

February 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. David

To anyone who doesn't understand Eminem's change, here are some lyrics from his new(ish) song, Not Afraid:
    I'm not afraid to take a stand
    Everybody come take my hand
    We'll walk this road together, through the storm
    Whatever weather, cold or warm
    Just let you know that, you're not alone
    Holla if you feel that you've been down the same road

And that is just the Chorus. He also mentions his love for his daughters.

February 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. The Natural

Follow @naturalhiphop on Twitter!!

February 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TxNYDoug

Hey Annie, congrats on the interview, thats the spunk and spirit that we need in this world to see things change in the right direction.

Props to the teacher for suggesting the idea as well, sometimes the smallest suggestions turn into the largest rewards.

As for Eminem, don't listen to the jerks on this board, you did a great thing, and have been a positive inspiration in peoples lives. Everyone has problems, sadly, yours end up in the spotlight because you are famous...just keep fighting the good fight.

For everyone else, before you post, think about the fact that the kids from this school are going to read this. Its not your choice what they listen to. Back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, etc were seen in the same light that Eminem is today (to some degree). His rapping might not be overly eloquent, but it does sometimes carry a positive message, others, its obviously him joking around...teaching kids to tell the difference is more important than sheltering them from life. Let them make their own decisions, and make sure they are properly guided. Rap is still a form of art, and should be treated as such. Some people are good at it, and some aren't. Don't persecute one rapper for the shortcomings of others.

February 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • chiefs4life

Best comment on here...

February 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • eryk

Agreed. I'm on and off about eminem, but this was noble and nice thing he did. All of you people hating him on here when eighth graders read this with your contempt, negativity, and foul language make you much more of a negative influence to those kids than eminem. Go back under the rock you finally tried to get out of. Your ignorance and hypocrisy isn't needed whatsoever

February 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • proud auntie

i agree with you i'm a very big eminem fan he has said "my music isn't made for kids" its in one of his interviews when he came out with the slim shady LP i can relate to his music alot a few of his songs i dedicated to my niece's i have alot of family drama and i always try to keep them away from it but it isnt easy when your not with them 24/7 one thing that annie got wrong was he didnt drop out at 14 he dropped out at 17 he failed the 9th grade 3 times people really need to stop being so negitive towards eminem you need to know the whole story before you put your option on it

June 28, 2011 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  21. jimzcarz

That was nice of Eminem,Still don't like his art, But it sounds like he's growing up a little bit.
    And for you 8th Graders keep going after your dreams they do come true if you pursue them.

February 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. High School English Teacher

"where's the music"? B.B King must not have been talking about Eminem, known for his skillfully interwoven melodies and lyrics. I use Eminem's music in my classroom to teach poetry and inspire young poets.

February 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Chewy

I've got a question I'd like her to ask. Ask him "How do you think this garbage he records gets confused with music?" I find it very disturbing that a foul-mouthed punk like Eminem is somehow a role model for children. How can a Grammy be so devalued? To me "Rap Music" is more an oxymoron than a genre, but the next time you hear a child drop an "F" bomb, you can thank the influence of rubbish like this.

February 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • pointless1

Yes, he's the cause of all your problems.... Perry Como for president..... grandma..

February 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julia

No matter how many times we tell children that "Actions speak louder than words". Somehow there are adults that still don't understand that.
      Eminem has three daughters, one of which he is biologically related to. He also adopted his EX wifes daughter from another relationship AND his ex wifes' SISTER's daughter. Because they were in jail and unable to take care of them. He is ALSO the legal guardian of his younger half brother, because he ALSO has no parents capable of taking care of him.
      Do you really think he's won in court all these times if he's as bad as you think?

February 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Huckleberry

I am 47 years old and Eminem is one of the few great American artist of our time. The art is in the fact that he doesn't sit around ad sort through other peoples words. The lyrics to all of his rap/songs come from him/his life/his love/his loss. I mean, the man can't even take his kids to the mall and he raps about the lose of little things we take for granted and the high cost of fame. He is sadly a prisoner to his fame and success and he will be recognized as one of the greatest artist that has ever lived. So...how COOL is that that he let an eighth grader interview him!!!!!

February 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Victoria Sleeman

Too funny. Troy or Bloomfield Hills isn't even close to Detroit. Just because you live in Michigan doesn't mean you are from Detroit. Ugh!! Can't say I like Eminem or think he's a role model of any sort, but great job Annie!

February 13, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. Chris

Eminem is a poet and even though he may have dropped out at an early age, you can tell by his rhymes and the language used that he took the time to educate himself and obviously cares about kids since he took the time to do this. Keep the albums coming!

February 13, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. Chris

Eminem is a poet and even though he may have dropped out at an early age, you can tell by his rhymes and the language used that he took the time to educate himself and obvisously

February 13, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  28. admat97

You kid, are the stuff that Superhero's are made of. Keep up the good work!!

February 13, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  29. seiburger

Cool, but I cant believe hes still popular, didnt he take 5 years off? 10 grammys? I always thought he was kind of a late 90s rapper. wow.

February 13, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Pointless1

Dating yourself in public is always cathartic.... keeping up with the times I see...

February 13, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

You're yet another example of the correlation between an ignorance in pop culture knowledge and the inability to coherently express yourself. Lost? Here, let me help you: you don't know crap about Eminem AND you are incapable of clearly writing even a simple sentence.

February 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tom

I remember an interview someone did with B.B. King. They asked him what he thought about rap music. He said "I hear the rap. Where's the music?'

Rap is nothing more than a bunch of monkey grunting by people who have no musical talent.

February 13, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  31. Aaron

and I'm sure she's been a big fan of all his music since she was 4. Nobody else see's a problem with that?

February 13, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracey

Why does she have to have been a fan since four? What a bizarre leap of logic.

February 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  32. TexasArmadillo

I am a child of the 60's, and regard rap music as noise. But it sounds like Eminen took this opportunity to say something to constructive. Thumbs up.

February 13, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jacquie

II recommend you bring yourself up to date on Eminen. He is a very sensitive young man who has weather a bunch of storms. Kids stay in school bc parents & mentors push. When you don't have that and your surrounds are not the best, this becomes your normal and you feel you have nothing to gain. I have listened to his songs and they are powerful. I am a 49 female and although I don't think he needs to use the f word, I totally understand bc being raised in the Bronx, the f word was just like saying damn. Don't write him off..just remember the people that molded you and remember he did not have anyone like that.

February 13, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  34. cc

Eminem is a poet. He is this generations equivalent of Dylan. Suspend your assumptions and read the lyrics sometime without predetermined judgement. He is brilliant in his poetry. -Professor of English

February 13, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Then he should melt away and just go be a poet somewhere instead of jumping around on stage, grunting like a monkey and pretending that he has any real talent.

February 13, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  35. Chris

Good for her, and for Eminem for taking the time to do the interview.

Doesn't surprise me a bit that people will cry about this.

February 13, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  36. Escobar

Eminem
    is a loser, just because he sales all this cd's to fake white kids thugs want to be or talk about smoking crack, he's just another Modern Vanilla ice...

February 13, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

Considering I've never heard Eminem mention smoking crack even once ever, I'd say you have no clue what you are talking about. But then again I couldn't really understand your sentence, so maybe that's not what you were saying. Either way, I think if he was another vanilla ice he wouldn't have lasted 10-15 years, and be nominated for 10 grammy's. Please think before posting.

February 13, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • CanuckHockey

Why so bitter? Eminem has far eclipsed Vanilla Ice...like years ago! lol Anywho, Eminem lived the "American Dream", where a school drop-out put his mind to his goal and achieved success! Why would any American not respect that??? I say good on Him, and cheers to Annie, you go girl! Best Wishes.

February 13, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Bizzle

Maybe one of these 8th graders can work with you on your spelling and grammar. Then you'd be able to have discussions with people on line. In the meantime, stick to topics you know about. Maybe you have some produce to sell on the highway off ramp.

February 13, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Even if he's a drop-out, I'll bet he can spell and punctuate better than you, Escobar. Geeze, man, go back to school, you're embarrassing yourself.

February 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Chris

Cool. I like good news. Interviewer and interviewee have class.

February 13, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  38. Brooke

I think it's cute the comments are getting bombed by 8th graders excited to see a story about their school on CNN. Much nicer than the usual screaming about religion and politics. Let them have their moment.

February 13, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  39. Eric

Yeah kiddies drop out if school like me and you'll become famous!!!

February 13, 2011 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Zapp

Notice how they talked about mistakes and one of them was dropping out. He wasn't encouraging her to drop out of school at all.

February 13, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Yeah, Zapp totally pwned you on this one. Read the article next time before you comment.

February 13, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracey

Or be like Eric and stay in but have no reading comprehension skills!

February 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Or be like Tracey and not punctuate your sentences properly you know what I mean.

February 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  40. dancemachine

Sooo jealous, even though I'm not a big eminem fan, I would still like to interview someone from my school like Debbie Ryan.

February 13, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  41. ugh

wouldn't let my kid near him

February 12, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zapp

Notice it was a phone interview. I'm sure he was no where near her.

February 13, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
    • chuck

You're pathetic. Eminem raps constantly about the love of his daughters. He's been on the right path ever since ending that crap with Kim. I'd love to meet Eminem and I'm sure my parents would have no issues with it.

February 13, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  42. Beautiful Vixen

Awww that's nice :)

February 12, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  43. Lily

YEEEEAH GOOOO ANNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shes like my 8th grade bffl :)

February 11, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |

48. Victor

Good for her!

February 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Rami

February 11, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rami

and since i am in the newspaper rotation right now, im thinking aout interviewing katy perry!

February 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Haidar

RAMI THATS MY SCHOOL TOOO

February 11, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Turtle

I wanted to be in one of the pictures but atleast chris got in one.

February 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • debbie

sounds like you guys attend a very cool school!!

February 13, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • kerry

Don't worry if they got the name of your town/city wrong, adult reporters are a joke and get *everything* wrong! I hope Annie can help change that.

February 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

"Rami

That's my school!!! I know annie im an 8th grader. And the its in bloomfield hills michigan not troy"

Now seriously Rami...Why don't you try your post again and this time use more capital letters and some more punctuation. If you are in the 8th grade, prove it by showing how to use the language. How many things are wrong with those two sentences? The reason I point this out is because I don't want you to grow up without knowing how to use the language properly. It's not about you, it's about how you present yourself. Be an example of good grammar and usage. It's only for your own good.

February 13, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Superhiro

Yawn

February 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • jaybee

yawn ? more like SCARY....this crude punks lyrics shouldn't even be recorded let alone known about by grade school children

February 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Xugos

Jaybee, Eminem is far from a "crude punk" if your reading comprehension is above that of a 5th grader and you read his lyrics.

February 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • @jaybee

jaybee, your biased opinion against eminem is very disheartening. i am willing to bet anything, that you have never listened to any eminem songs. i can personally say that eminem's music has helped me throughout the hardest times in my life. if you want to know the REAL eminem, and not the persona that the media has labeled, then listen to a song called "difficult", or "going through changes"or "i'm not afraid". yes eminem might use a little foul language, but go pick up any CD or go watch any movie these days, and there will always be some profanity. but, just remember that old saying "sticks and stones can break your bones but words will never hurt you". you act like you have NEVER said 1 bad word in your entire life, and that eminem is the child of satan for using bad language. especially when there are HUNDREDS of other rappers/singers that use profanity. oh wait, but ONLY eminem gets blamed? that is very ironic, and frankly its a little sad. eminem has become the scapegoat for EVERYONE that has EVER used profanity.

February 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

I agree, you are a big yawn.

February 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shanica

Aww Congratulations Annie!!

February 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • trixen

@jaybee
      It's your kind who are part of the problem. Kids need to be exposed to the world as it is rather than through a kid-safe filter. When they grow up, they're unprepared to step out into the real world because their parents have only let them see it through rose colored glasses. I feel sorry for your kids (if you have any).

February 13, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • CT

I find it funny that Jaybee talks like this however, that nickname itself actually means something that is worse then Eminem's lyrics (just google is). I think this is awesome and congratz on actually trying something like this, most middle schoolers never would have thought they had a chance and thus never tried.

February 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |