Palace nixes 3-D broadcast of royal wedding
February 9th, 2011

Palace nixes 3-D broadcast of royal wedding

So much for trying to catch the bouquet! Plans to broadcast Prince William and Kate Middleton's April 29 wedding in 3-D have fallen flat, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The main problem? The enormous Westminster Abbey just isn't big enough to accommodate the extra cameras.

"I'm afraid I have to say that we have decided not to progress with 3D coverage of the service on this occasion," Patrick Harrison, press secretary to Prince Charles, said in an email to the BBC, ITV news provider ITN and Sky News.

"There are a number of reasons for this, most notably the additional camera footprint in the abbey, the relatively small (albeit growing) audience for 3D, and our desire to not be distracted away from negotiating and facilitating the optimal 2D, radio, photographic, and online coverage of the day," he continued.

While Harrison apologized that the royal family put the kibosh on the concept, he said St. James Palace might consider exploring a new dimension at a later time.

"I hope you feel the process we have gone through will be helpful for other live events and of course we do not rule out facilitating 3D at some point in the future," he said.

Are you disappointed you won't get to break out the 3-D glasses for the royal wedding?

1. Wedding Place Cards

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really realize what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also talk over with my website =). We will have a link exchange arrangement between us

November 3, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kat

3D sounds great if you can't come to London for the wedding!
    For those looking for memorabilia, have a look at my site:

February 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ginger

Could we please remember that this is a WEDDING and NOT some action-flick showing down @ the multi-plex?!?! Prince William and Ms. Middleton deserve to have their day remain as personal, and sacred and special as any other couple beginning a new life together. It is enough of a media circus already... give them some space!

February 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Glenwood Springs CO Photographer

Really wouldn't want the bride and groom coming at me out of the screen, so thanks for caboshing that.

February 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. willy beamer

this is the stupidest crap ive ever seen... Omg i dont know what im going to do with myself now that these two tards wedding isnt in 3D.... I really wish people would find better things to do with their lives then follow around rich retards

February 9, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. k

Not even a little artard. I was clicking on the dumbest link I could find actually.

February 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cheefsfury

IS THE WEDDING NIGHT STILL ON IN 3D

February 9, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DougB

Oh bummer, what is a Royal Wedding if it isn't in 3-D! I was so looking to wearing my 3-D glasses that has a crown them.

February 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |