Katy Perry: I wanted to look like Kate Moss
February 9th, 2011

Katy Perry: I wanted to look like Kate Moss

She may flaunt her enviable figure in some barely there stage outfits, but Katy Perry admits she wasn't always so comfortable with her body.

"I was shaped like a square at one time. I was!" she tells the March issue of Elle magazine. "I’m generally around 130 pounds, which is totally fine for me. But when I was a kid, I was the same height and weighed more like 145."

Making matters worse, Perry wasn't happy that she was beginning to blossom.

"I had enormous boobs that I didn’t know what to do with, so I wore minimizers, which were not cute," she says. "I got made fun of for the over-the-shoulder boulder holder… and all I wanted was to look like Kate Moss. Little did I know… that these things would come in handy someday.”

Hubby Russell Brand certainly isn't complaining. In fact, Perry says the two have never been happier since exchanging vows last October.

“We both needed balance, and we give that to each other," she says. "It wasn’t about me taming him, which is what everyone always says — it was about timing.”

And when it comes to her career, Perry said she's not sure she still wants to be singing when she's in her 70s.

"I think some people will die on the stage, and I’m not so sure I want to do that," she tells Elle. "Like, I want to have kids! I’m totally fine with saying that. I think some people are scared because they’re worried it’s going to ruin their career, but I want to live a full life.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Katy Perry • Music

1. cra cra :-)

I love katy perry:-) she is so cute I luv her fashion styles :-) ;) <3 :D

August 31, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Truth

Katy Perry is a fat. He features are ugly. I am NOT a fan of Kate Moss either because she looks like a skeleton and has ugly features as well.

Hot women are those like Megan Fox, Victoria Justice, Emmy Rossum, or even Miley Cyrus.

February 12, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. kate

u are unusually for sure. you have what it takes to be s star but that choice of man u chose he is
    too cooky. he look weird out of his eyes. i know this stuff is putt on. but he carries it a little farther.
    just got to thinking this is why we watch you sometimes anways. you both are fakers.

February 11, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. D

Thanks for the support-usually don't get that

February 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sassie

@D – well said. Young girls see all these anorexic models and think they should look like that. They develop eating disorders due to what the "status quo" puts out there on magazine covers. Katy Perry is setting a good example for them. She is not overweight by any means and represents what a healthy young lady looks like. She also seems to live a clean and healthy lifestyle and in this day and age that type of image is crucial to our younger generation. There is definitely nothing wrong with having a curvy body. It is much more attractive than skin and bones anyday. All in all D, great comment. Peace & Love

February 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. D

She's never been 'overweight' she's the perfect size for her height- she has a very proportionate body-and a little extra b00bage on top-but there's nothing wrong with that. It's also easy for you to be thin miss amazon woman because you have 6 ft to work with. try going down to average size 5'2"-5'4" and eat do your normal activities of what you do now. I'm sure you'll be more than average. 130 for a what, 5'4" girl is near the skinny line on your BMI scale its not till you get to 145 till your at the borderline of being overweight. And that's if your not an athelete-they can weigh more considering they would have more muscle than most. It's dumb b!tches with a disorted view like you, Valerie, that girls have self-image issues-you're not even on the same level as the majority of girls.

February 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sassie

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". But, I think Katy is an exceptionally beautiful woman and her husband is a very handsome man with a loving heart and a wonderful sense of humor. I'm happy that they found one another because it is obvious they are soulmates. They will have beautiful babies together and be great parents. For those of you who are throwing out the bad vibes such as, "fat", "ugly", "mean", etc. maybe it is time you looked in your full length mirror, or better yet do some serious soul searching. Beauty radiates from within. Change yourself on the inside and the change will show on the outside as well. Peace & Love

February 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mah

and you can live a full life without kids.

February 9, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • pedro

I don't think she was inferring that no kids = not a full life, just that she wants them, and that she wants more things to happen in her life besides desperately holding onto being a famous pop singer. Nice negative spin on a very positive message.

February 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pipers Mama

Thank you, corianderseeds. As a mother, I'll take Katy Perry over any of the self indulgant teen stars. Who cares what she looks like? The point is that she is comfortable with herself AND she is also telling our daughters that they should be, too.

February 9, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. corianderseeds

I personally can't stand Katy Perry's music or the way she presents herself in the public eye, but it's just hateful to call her fat and ugly. And I will say that, with people like Renee Zellweger lamenting having to "bulk up" to 130 lbs for a movie as though her life is in danger, it's really nice to hear a celebrity (and a slender one at that) say "I'm normally 130 lbs, which is fine." If you don't like Katy Perry, I think you should try to better articulate why, rather than saying hurtful things about her appearance, which in turn just encourages other women to hate the way they look, because if Katy Perry is fat and ugly, not many of the rest of us stand a chance. The things you say about one person can affect how other people view themselves.

February 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CMC

Man, people can be bitter. This article is about being comfortable with yourself, yet there are people on this board who think that's wrong. Based on maturity level of posts and obsession with weight and looks, I'm guessing "Valerie" is under 25. Probably was a bully in school too. We need less people who put others down for their looks.

February 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. celio gomes jr

katy your look is fantastic and beautiful.

February 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Vivian

Valerie, did you see how many times you used the word "average" here? Could you elaborate on that? "Average at best" , "she looks so average to me", "average with some weight on"(??), it seems to me like you can't really describe and point out what you mean by that and what exactly is so average about her.
    She is definitely NOT overweight. People seriously need to stop having this distorted image of what is thin because Hollywood stars and everybody in the show business are NOT real people. Some of them eat 3 almonds and 2 servings of lettuce a day to stay thin! Or baby food! Or work out 5 hours a day! It's insane. Look up her heigth and compare it to her weight and you'l see that is not overweigth at all! Beauty is subjective. I personally like her, but I can undertstand other people migth not find her attractive and I respect that.

February 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cynthia Nixon

WOAH!! She is hot!! I wish I could dump that knuckle dragging Neandrathal Red headed stepchild Im dating.

February 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Beautiful Vixen

Yes she has a mean girl look. I think her husband is ugly though.

February 9, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. Odalice feliz

So cute pic.

February 9, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  17. mejazzbo

Why in the world would a talented woman with a great figure like Katy Perry want to look like some boney waif is truly beyond me. Some folks like to think the grass is always greener but Katy is thinking like she wants to head for the desert.

February 9, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  18. Brandon

I would do her every way imaginable. Super skinny women are over rated.

February 9, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  19. pedro

I'm not a huge fan of her music, but that IS 80-90% of why she's so popular, and she writes it herself. She's hot enough to get by at that level, and she brought the good times back to girlie pop – like what Van Halen did for metal (sans the instrumental innovation, of course). Why hate on her for being the pop flavor du jour? It could certainly be worse. Although I am getting tired of hearing "Firework" everywhere. Not her best song.

February 9, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  20. Rins

I really wish I could enjoy her music. This article makes her sound very grounded and I like her voice (it's very unique). Her lyrics however are atrocious and I don't think there is a single song of hers that I respect. She probably doesn't write her own songs...but the songs she chooses to sing reek of someone trying too hard to be controversial.

February 9, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  21. nitrous

I'd play "Motorboat" with her.

February 9, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  22. clam fist

She seems nice.

February 9, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. BHS

She is a very common looking girl. That broad bulbous forehead and pointy nose is so unattractive, no matter how hard she tried to play it down. Very unattractive nose. AND that's before you start pointing out that she has a nasty personality.

February 9, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Isis

I really cannot understand AT ALL why total strangers would say such mean and hateful things about another person.

A young woman – a Newlywed – who might read this, or perhaps will her Mother or Husband. Shame on you
      people.

Congratulations Katy and Russell...I thought your wedding sounded awesome!! Xox Isis

February 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Lets see what YOU look like doll, and show us all your beautiful personality. Oh, wait, we've seen the personality. FAIL. I hope you're real good looking because you need something to carry you past you're obnoxiousness. And that goes for the other classless people here too.

February 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ BHS

BHS = Bull**** High School?

February 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ISIS

Your ugly and you momma just finished giving me a blow ..... job. Hahahahaha

March 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. chris

I don't know what you people are talking about, bad-mouthing Katie Perry. Everyting I've heard her say she seems remarkably grounded for someone who's gotten so much fame so fast. And this piece in Elle only enhances that. How many other pop stars would say their weight? Baby got back & Boobs, and she's using it. Good for her. She's certainly not the best singer out their; but she can write a catchy tune & you never read @ her on TMZ or the rags for having done some stupid drunken stunt. And I bet she knows the words to the national anthem & wouldn't go all Patty LaBelle with her "interpretation". I dig her & wish her the best.

February 9, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  25. ralphie64

I like her twins

February 9, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  26. KatyFan

This pic is not flattering at all. Katy, just be your beautiful self...The one that is prettier than Kate Moss.

February 9, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  27. tee

Omg I see the same snottty mean girl look too. Her eyes are cold.

February 9, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Yeah, she looks horrifying. Like she's about to come at you with an ax. Cold eyes? Idiots. Jealous much?

February 9, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jeff

God bless Katy perry

February 9, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  29. erykah

wattt!!! its da truthhhh

February 9, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  30. Erykah

Ilike katy perry so stop hatn Michael! she luk betta dan you PLZ COMMENT (SERIOUSLYYY)!!!!!

February 9, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  31. Michael

I cant stand the woman.. but its not her body. Thats fine. Its her face.... shes got this permanent, kinda nasty, mean-girls expression that makes her ugly in my eyes. Every time I see her face I see that snotty look. yuck.

February 9, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • tamijai hopkins

Boy i dont even know what u talking about cause it is not anything wrong with her dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Uranus

When i come on her I cant see her face at all.

March 1, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  32. tamijai hopkins

Katie perry wat did u have on that day?

February 9, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  33. Meh

Id like to get comfy with that melon patch too.
    Im glad "they came in handy" for her lol

February 9, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  34. Valerie

This person is average at best...seriously! And NO, I'm not "jealous" at this thing.....she is just so totally average to me....and overweight looking.

February 9, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • You missed it

She has a Dita Von Teese look about her...thats why everyone is so taken.

February 9, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

"you missed it", I had to Google Dita Von Teese.....I see she is a burlesque artist? Yes, she looks similar....I don't know, I just think an in shape looking woman is more attractive, and I AM A WOMAN! Ha! This person just looks so average......all she looks like is an average young woman with some weight on her and she is ALWAYS holding her stomach in, I am sorry, but that is NO big deal! That Dita lady isn't anything special either! I guess to each their own! ANYONE can put on some weight, and then wear all kinds of girdles to hold it in....

February 9, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • G

I don't think she's spectacular looking either, but if you think she's overweight you are sick.

February 9, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

No, "G" she looks thin in this picture....and her chest disappeared once she got thin, I am talking about when she puts the weight on and flaunts her chest...big deal! YOU PUT WEIGHT ON! Of course your chest is going to get bigger, but your bigger ALL OVER TOO! Hahaha!

February 9, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeffrey J

You are really sick if you think she is overweight. No wonder so many young girls have self image problems with weirdos like you around. Katy Perry has an amazing body is is totally hot.

February 9, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • JT

actually, you are jealous, she's not fat, she has big boobs, and you're jealous of that and make yourself think she's fat. All women's breasts grow when they get fatter, and shrink when they lose weight... but yeah, it's possible to just have big boobs.

Obviously you're an A cup

February 9, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Wrong JT, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy wrong! LOL! I am an almost 6 foot blonde and wear a "c" cup, and not fat at all! That is WHY I CAN SAY WHAT I WANT! Idiot! You must be some short guy I could sqaush without even trying! LOL!

February 9, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • breezin' thru

gee val, sounds like you have some anger issues ... is it b/c boys don't want to date tall, bitter girls?

February 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

If a guy is looking for a glass of Tall and Stupid, perhaps Valerie may be of assistance.

Where to find her? Just check Marquee Blogs under the Katy Perry article... seems to be hanging there.

February 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King really likes "Katy Perry: I wanted to look like Kate Moss"...

February 9, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  36. T-rex

Justin, Honey...If you want you could hire a group of men to plunder my manhole and film it. We could put it on the internet!!

February 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  37. @T-rex

HI T-rex,
    I let a group of 15 guys do that to me last year in Jamaca, it's not a fun as it sounds.

Signed,