Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz split
February 9th, 2011

Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz split

After two-and-a-half years of marriage, Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz are going their separate ways, CNN has confirmed.

“After careful consideration, we have made the difficult decision to file for divorce," the couple says in a joint statement. "We remain friends and deeply committed and loving parents to our son Bronx, whose happiness and well-being remains our number one priority. We ask that everyone honor our privacy as we navigate this next phase of our lives."

Simpson, 26, is rumored to have been the one to file for the divorce, with TMZ reporting that the singer/actress cited "irreconcilable differences" as the reason.

The website also reports that she's seeking joint legal custody and primary physical custody of the couple's two-year-old son, as well as spousal and child support.

According to People, the relationship rumors for Simpson and Wentz, 31, began in the fall of 2006 after they were seen kissing at a nightclub. By May of 2008, the two were wed, and their son Bronx Mowgli Wentz made his arrival that November.

The magazine now reports that the younger sister of Jessica Simpson is aiming to drop the Wentz from her name and revert to being simply a Simpson.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Really?

"Spousal support" for a 2 1/2 year marriage? Are you freaking kidding me? Apparently the dirtbag can't stand on her own two feet so she's trying to get support for life based on a short, really short, term marriage. I give up on the juddicial system if she gets it....

February 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Yeah

It was probably like "Hey Pete, I don't like your band!" "Aw, come on, I love you Jes... I mean Ashley!"

February 10, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SAYWHAT

I am surprised they lasted as long as they did.. you know they only got married cause she was preggers... but really who cares about both of them,......

February 10, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Justin Beiber

MMM...I want some of that PETER!!

February 10, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. kk

They got married? How did I miss that?

February 10, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. D

OMG! I haven't had a good laugh from these blogs n awhile there are some good comments on here-

'joanie

it took pete a long time to get the hint, because ashley kept leaving him lip synched voicemail messages about her problems with the relationship.....'

LMAO! my favorite comment so far...

February 9, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. T-Rex

Not surprising.

February 9, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tommy Lee's organ

Oh, wait till I get a hold of her...........

February 9, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Beautiful Vixen

I don't know if your comment was directed at me but if it was I was stating that the comments on here are funny. So excuse me if my day sucked and I came on here and got a chuckle from the comments. I personally don't give a rat's a$$ about they broken marriage or their kids for that matter. People are too quick to get married, have babies and quick to get divorce because they have one or two fr^^ken fights. Anyway they have money so it's not as though the kids are going to go hungry or be homeless. I'm sure a stepdad or stepmom will be in the pic shortly..

February 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. curly joe

Great looking forward to their next project. Maybe then I'll learn what they're known for because i have no clue right now

February 9, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. WhatAJoke

SEE??? This is what happens when you name your child after the kid in A Jungle Book. Bronx Mowgli??? Give me an f-ing break!?!??! Do they think their kids will be "soooo happy" to have such a c r a p name?? Really?

February 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Victor

Seems like a simple case of they got married cause he knocked her up and now they regret it to me.

February 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. James 4456

Who are these people? Why should we care?

February 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..some twisted minds on here. Thanks for the laugh.

February 9, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. joanie

February 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Nancy in WA

People in Hollywood are so self-possessed, they should neither get married nor have children. I can only guess that being the center of attention is what they all strive for, and when the person closest to them isn't putting them on a pedestal anymore, they have to leave and move on. And use birth control, for crying out loud, so there aren't all these super cute Hollywood babies growing up in broken homes. Whether you have money or not, and whether you say your child is number one, the child is affected.

February 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. phearis

Divorced? Cool. When I'm done with my date with Avril, I'll give Ashlee a call.

February 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • shakeyshakey

So you're saying it's cool that the children involved won't be living in the same house with both mom and dad, that the families are broken up. And this was for a laugh. What a sad comment.

February 9, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Cassy

well..that certainly lasted long..I mean to share the undying love and all that crap and to take his last name...good job *thumbs up*

February 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. fosure

I imagine guardianship will go to the babysitter since she probably spends most of the time with the child!!

February 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Bella

People are so negative and critical... that so many of you can be so judgmental of two people that you don't even know is pathetic. Marriage and divorce are not meant to be taken lightly but that is the couple's business and not ours.

February 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Greg

"Bronx Mowgli Wentz"

That poor kid...Having to live with such a name!

And honestly, I didn't think the marriage would even last as long as it has. And seriously, she's a millionaire and will be seeking child support?

February 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JW

Who are these people, and why should I be concerned?

February 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ughh

My conch shell has more listeners than either of thier albums..

February 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dave

Pete has a face a mile long. Just sayin'.

February 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Clete

It's nice to see people work through their issues and stay together...a whopping 2 years. Typical Hollywood D-Bags.

February 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Tony Romo

Awe hell yeah!!! Ash been wanting to get with me for a minute. Now she aint handcuffed no more. Maybe I can tap that, get her to by me another boat, and then dump her on her birthday and leave her stranded at IHOP.

February 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jeremy

Pete Wentz likes girls? I had no idea

February 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. 2below

Guess it runs in the family. Why don't celebrities try marrying normal people with normal lives. They always go out with their own kind and eventually ruins them. Sad.

February 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Mike Beard

I'm in shock!!!! A celebrity marriage that failed! C'mon people.........why cover this crap.

February 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Babee BLUE

Oh I cannot wait for her to lip synch her new song about love gone wrong

February 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Redman71

Nooooooooooo! I can't believe this has happened!!!!!!!.....hehehe

February 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. HEANN

The hot little chick from Harry Potter looks wayyyyy better with that style hair than this uggo

February 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Superhiro

....Who and who?!

February 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  34. the_dude

Are these the people from No Doubt? I thought that band would last.

February 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sarge

They both look like they combed their hair with a pork chop. Seriously, why do these Hollywood types get married. It's always gonna end badly, and there's some poor little kid in the middle that grows up just as disfunctional. Of course, it's also not the kids' fault that his parents were retarded and named him "Bronx Mowgli". Jeez.

February 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. sneak

all of you STARS NEED TO GET BEHIND CHARLIE SHEEN. he would do that for you.The man hasn't hit rock bottom, I
    don't think, you guys have more power to speak out than us commoners. That why u get that big fat paycheck.
    if he has hit rockbottom or not, you know you gotta show the love, like we do when we pay you guys. SHEEN
    ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. db

Irresponsible journalism...Ashlee Simpson is 26.

February 9, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. John Mayer

I gots my ghetto pass.. and ima tap that azz!

February 9, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. dougo

These two work at the Taco bell near my house WHY are they in the news?

February 9, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  40. paul

I don't know why you ever married wentz he is ugly, no personality, blah! You are so much cutier and yes go back
    to just Simpson. Both you girls are wonderful. They say oppossite attracks but this is too much. I know we will
    never meet, but I love you and Jessica. You don't need good luch, you already got it.

February 9, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • rofl

rofl, since when is Ashley Simpson cute? She's a mutant even with all the plastic surgery. They are both no-talent hacks. They deserved each other. I hope their kid (who by the way is named BRONX MOWGLI) enjoys his life.

February 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Redstick99

Isn't that the stupid broad that has less talent than her equally stupid sister that is known for her milli vanilli moment on SNL???

February 9, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timme62

Hey be nice...it was acid reflux that made her screw up...Happens everytime.

February 23, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  42. bes

I knew it was over when she asked him to not wear eyeliner.

February 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Who Cares

Who Cares. Two talentless fools from hollywood. No one cares about want-a-be's.

February 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Lola

This is what happens when you marry bc you are pregnant. She is still trying so hard to be like Jessica, what did Jessica make it to? 3 years with Nick....

February 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  45. aj

So sad! Tough on celebrity kids.

February 9, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. T

This is extremely sad news for her 15 fans !

February 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  47. C

There is a great lesson to be learned here. If you get married and after about 2 or 3 years things aren't always perfect just get a divorce. If you get married and have a kid and things change just get divorced. I know I don't know either of these idiots(people) but is it that hard to get relationship advice/help. I know that before my wife and I got married we went through a class that taught us different ways to try to deal with married life, kids, money issues and so on so forth. A good marriage doesn't just happen, you have to work at it; this isn't the movies where everything always works out perfectly. I don't think I'm some sort of expert but after less than 3 years they're getting a divorce, either they didn't try very hard or they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place.

February 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. saresudog

Please excuse me while I get my look of surprise on my face

February 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  49. talisha

All yall mo fos is haterz yall wish yall can be like ashlee simpson and so what if she be with all the men in hollywood at least shes paid while your broke sleeping with more men you can count on fingers and toes as soon as all see her or even get to see her yall beggin for her autograph then braggin bout it . GO ASHLEE DIVORCE HIS ASS AND SQUEZZE EVERY PENNY OUT OF HIM YOU CAN GET;-) MEN DO IT TO US ALL THE TIME.

February 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  50. ClosetIguana

At one time Ashlee was thinking "I'm going to marry a member of Fall Out Boy". Later it occurred to her... "I married a member of Fall Out Boy".

February 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  51. steveo

Am I the only one who noticed how big that girls chin is?

February 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • haterade

No kidding. If they just strap her to the front of a pickup truck with that thing protruding outward she can be used as a snow plow.

February 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bung

You should've seen her nose before she had it fixed!

February 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Holly Golightly

no, i noticed it as well. these freaks get so skinny that their chins look like the killer from "scream"!

February 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  52. LaLa

Ashlee's actually 26, not 24 like the article states.

February 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Geoff

Oh No, If Ashley takes her pants with her what is poor Pete going to wear? I'm sure he'll punish us all with another crappy album whining about how his girlfriend left him.

February 9, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  54. tim

Uh, I needed to know this because.........????

February 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  55. MD

Welcome to Idiotsville.......

February 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  56. @Thomas

@Thomas, so wait, because she makes good money, he shouldn't have to pay anything for his child at all? Think before you type.

February 9, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  57. local

Spousal support after 2 years of marriage?? Is she kidding??

February 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

How else will she ever stay home and give him the life she can only dream of?

February 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Big John

Why do celebrities give their kids idiotic names? Bronx Mowgli? I mean come on!

The dude on the right looks like a total tool. Is that hair or a hoodie? And what self-respecting adult still wears a hoodie (I'm looking right at you Bon Jovi!)?

February 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  59. WHO

and the winner is
    BRONX! and a close second.... Jessica ("Yay my little sisters marriage failed... 'I mean... >boo hoo< I loved her and wanted the best for her!'")
    P.S. Hey Bronx... Can't wait to read your tell all book about the 'hard times' you had growing up with in a 'famous' family.

February 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Emmersome Bigguns

Which one is Ashlee? They are both ugly guys.

February 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Landru

Youth is wasted on the young.

February 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Thomas

What a b%#@^. She needs to file for child support? Seriously? How much money does Ashley Simpson need to raise one child? Unbelievable.

February 9, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Heywood Jablowme

Regardless of everything, its just plain sad. You always hope. Alot of people bag on celebs when their marriages end quickly, but quick ending marriages go on in the real world every day with no fanfare. I know they are celebs and in the public eye. but they, when it comes down to the nitty gritty, are human and have to make hard decisions like the rest of us. Good luck Ashley and Pete.

February 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  64. David

We love it when these freaks get married, we "ooh" and "ahh" when they produce a baby, and then we're shocked when they split up. Bring on the next couple...

February 9, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  65. nitrous

Maybe she was tired of being his beard.

February 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Rupert

Appears they have the same hair cut?

February 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  67. cindy

Does this mean they will have to change their look-alike hairdo?

February 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  68. jericho

I feel so sorry for their son. Now he has a name like Bronx and divorced parents. Not good.

February 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ni

Bronx is bad enough, but Bronx MOWGLI? What the heck were they thinking?

February 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  69. ME

What? How shocking!!!!...NOT!

February 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  70. KHAM

HE IS OBVIOUSLY THE BETTER LOOKING OF THE TWO!!

February 9, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • chele

I agree. I think he's the better-looking of the two as well. Perhaps that's what the problem was.

February 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Lind

Why can't these pitifully shallow people wait to have children instead of procreating then splitting up then there's the custody battle then there's the new significant other in each of the "parents'" life & the pregnant girlfriend of the father & the blissful "I've met my soul mate" from each of the "parents." Same old same old. All the while each proclaims "(insert name of child/children) is oru most important priority" like on their list or prioriteis there's what's his name–you know the kid with the nanny–oh what's his name.

February 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  72. kizmiaz

And we should care about this......why? What a couple of losers......

February 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

No one asked you to care. You should ask yourself why you clicked on the link and commented if you didn't care.

February 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Chris

Who and who? Who cares... I sound like an owl.

February 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mike

Great!!!! Pete has plenty of time to take bass lessons!!! But whose jeans will he wear, or does he get Ashley's in the divorce!!

February 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  75. M48

If these people want privacy..... then why in the hell do tTHEY put it in the news!!!!!

February 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  76. teresa, ohio

I thought these two might actually last a big longer.... they are equally "famous" ( I mean not really famous at all... just barely though), seemingly equally successful, and equally physically UNATTRACTIVE... I mean that in the way that usually some celebs are mismatched in the looks department and their marriage NEVER lasts.

So after two years of marriage they have given this decision "CAREFUL CONSIDERATION".... careful consideration is about two years worth of thinking. I'm wondering if this is just for promotion or something to tweet about? I am sorry these two couldnt make it work : ( They truly seemed in love and still do.

February 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Sue

Why do this 'primma donna stars" even get married – and why do they have to bring children into a home that will undoubtedly be broken?? Can't they buy enough toys without ruining lives?

February 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • neptonomist sentry

Why do black men who have no intention of raising their kids and don't have any means to support them if they did have so many of them? These two numbskulls and their one child should be the least of your concerns...

February 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shaniqua

oh no ya didn'

February 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  78. T-rex

I bet he has a nice goober.

February 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Reader

Shocking.

February 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Angie

I honestly don't know why anyone in Hollywood bothers to get married. Marriage requires work, patience, committment, compromise and sooo much more. These "stars" only have time for fame and fortune. It's sad how easily they are willing to tear apart their families.

February 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Suz

I'm surprised it lasted this long...She musta figured out he was gay. As annoying as they are as a couple, he never really bothered me too much. He seems like a decent guy...prolly just had to get away from the crazy dad.

February 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  82. athenamix

OMG!!!!

February 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  83. JR

Good this will let them both concentrate on their careers. I forget.....What the hell did these two do ???

February 9, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  84. mel

What a surprise. She has such a low self esteem and was totally jealous of Pete's new lead singer (which is a woman) of his band. It boggles my mind why people in hollywood get married in the first place. It seems to never work out.

February 9, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Guest

Time to make my move now!

February 9, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Junior T

Ashlee is the ugly one correct ?

February 9, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  87. LL

Not surprised. It was a shotgun wedding because he knocked her up.

February 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  88. stormeagle

Why do we care about lip-synching hoedown-dancing face-reconstructing Ashlee. What happened to show business news about real talent?

February 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • donutman

Showbiz news about real talent? long gone, we live in an infotainment society and most people follow along with it hook, line, and stinkers

February 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  89. parishater

oh please now we get to see her become a hot mess and be on the cover evey magazine with every guy in hollywood.......note to ASHLEE stay away from john mayer he already tapped your big sis

February 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  90. cheefsfury

I GUESS HE CAME OUT TO HER AND SHE WAS LIKE UM OK I STILL CANT SING GOOD AND MY SISTERS COAT TAILS HAVE BEEN TORN OFF BY ME ALREADY SO LIKE I GUESS WE SHOULD GET DIVORCED SO THE MEDIA CAN TALK ABOOT US

February 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  91. teresa, ohio

Junior: so you want to invalidate people cuz they have a couple extra pounds? cuz if so, send me your pic and I PROMISE you, I can find something on YOU to invalidate you.

February 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  92. BT

In all reality, Jessica Simpson should be "invalidated" if she has put on extra pounds. She has made millions of dollars due in large part to her physical appearance (yes, I know she's a singer, but lots of people can sing as well as her and aren't famous because they don't look like she did). Should she not be criticized for flaws in her current appearance in the same way that she was previously praised for it?

February 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |