Willow Smith loves dad's 'Parents Just Don't Understand'
February 7th, 2011

Willow Smith loves dad's 'Parents Just Don't Understand'

Ten-year-old Willow Smith has gained a devoted fan following with her hit "Whip My Hair." And when it comes to her own taste in music, she counts dad Will Smith among her favorites — especially his 1988 DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince hit "Parents Just Don't Understand."

"Because," she tells Teen Vogue, "sometimes they just don't."

Read more from Willow Smith's interview with Teen Vogue

Smith, however, says dad Will and mom Jada are pretty easygoing. "They aren't strict. They won't be like, 'Willow, clean up your room!' They'll be like, 'Willow, will you please clean up your room?'" she says. "And I'll be like, 'OK,' and do it."

The young star is currently in talks to appear in a movie remake of the musical "Annie," but in the meantime she's heading out on tour with her brother Jaden's good friend Justin Bieber. Though Smith likes the teen idol, she doesn't quite have Bieber fever.

More photos and outtakes from Willow Smith's Teen Vogue photo shoot

"Justin's like my big brother," she says. "I don't have a crush on him."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Justin Bieber • Music • The Bieb

« Previous entry
  1. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Posh-Kenneth; the perception that you think I should have because of my studies is there; mainly because of a combination of my lifes' experiences as they've been reflected through my studies. I'm a history buff; therefore, my perception of the comment, picture or event that some see as 'just play' or now obsolete is a deeper one! I've learned that feelings, emotions; hate, love, jeaousy, bigotry, etc., spoken/unspoken, conscious/unconscious, taught/untaught, stems from the psychological health of HUMANS.

February 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. W L I Z, Dec, Ga

@Posh-Kenneth; The only reason I even mentioned my education is because Child Labor Laws indicated that she thought I was narrowminded and needed to get some education. It had nothing to do with me trying to become an 'elitist' so to speak, to the rest of you! I was responding to her comment and you all jumped to her defense against me! Now I realize that this is the way of the blog, but I want everyone to know, that I know only the ones 'convicted' by my first comment are the ones who jumped out screaming!

February 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bing

sadly it was more than that, but reading these dumb comments made me think about it. That'd be weird if someone broke into my home and all I had was fresh prince dvds lol

February 9, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. bing

I miss my fresh prince dvds... someone stole them. So apparently someone wanted them.

February 9, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Q

Imagine their disappointment after spending all the time effort to steal something and walk away with fresh prince dvds...I think the thief got more ripped off than you...kinda sad when think about it.

February 9, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. trish

lol i like when random people try to look smart and are then slammed. Maybe you should have explained it slower for him Posh.

February 9, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Q

The Smiths and their Snotty nosed little Bas Turds.

February 9, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. loppollop

you'd think that the Smith's were crapping the gold directing in WLiz's mouth by the way she so tightly attached to their @nus.

February 9, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

yeah... I'm not ashamed of it. But nice try! *thumbs up* Working means having money that gets you things you don't need, I know thats a hard concept for lesser folk like yourself to understand.

February 9, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. W L I Z, Dec, Ga

@Posh-Kenneth,@Babiyaga; with some of the sentence structure and mispells I've seen on this blog, I'm shocked you chose my 'made up' word 'growner' (said she was grown) to reduce the authenticity of my being educated, but that's not much more than I expect from treacherous, jealous heathens like you and the rest of the SMITH FAMILY HATERS on this blog! Read the 3rd blog and come back and tell me if @Child Labor Law sounded as if she was truly interested in the Child Labor Laws for WILLOW and JADEN SMITH!

February 8, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

@W Liz- yeah... I don't remember inferring that I HATED the Smiths anywhere in my posts, so way to go making something out of nothing. I own several seasons of Fresh Prince on DVD and love most of Will's movies as well. I also said you obviously didn't study psychology because your biase is toxic. Yet you chose to ONCE AGAIN attack someone because you've got no legs to stand on other than that. For once I have to agree with one of the moronic posters on here when they suggested you take a xanax. This isn't life or death dude, it's just a crappy blog. Don't preach to haters when you're one too. Get over yourself and come down from your soapbox. Hypocrite.

February 9, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • @Posh Kenny

"Own several seasons of Fresh prince"...well now...arent you the stupid one.

February 9, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • @Posh Kenny

*POOT* Try that. I wouldnt waste my excess funds on such garbage as Will Smith and his equally untalented leeches...to each their own I guess. Oh and BTW...*POOT*.

February 9, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

lol poot. Add a poot to any situation and it makes it better. If this was facebook I would 'like' that comment.

February 9, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. tiara

wow i read these comments. are u serious right now, she is just a little kid so what her parents are famous good for her if she wants to follow in her parents footsteps why not let her. at least she is trying to do something with her life. of course there is always going to be somebody that has something negative to say but at the end of the day they getting money regardless so while people are busy hating on them they are still doing what they love to do.just saying if you don't like her or her family why take the time to even comment on the post.

February 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • tiara

that was suppose to say i seen some of these comments

February 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • crown

@tiara- we take the time to comment because, we be TROLLIN, you HATIN, PATROLLIN trying to catch me white and nerdy!

February 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • loppollop

Hey Tiara, WHY WHY WHY. Chill out Nancy Kerrigan, who are you? Captain Planet? I'm pretty sure The Smith's aren't reading this blog nor would they care if they did. They'd just blow their nose on some c-notes and move on.

February 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. T-rex

I'd suck the brown gravy out of Willows hineyhole,mmmm good

February 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. flyonthewall

And to think I passed on the opportunity to become a machinist........
    Wow what a dope!

February 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WLM

Willow is just like any of these child stars whose parents are stars. YOu dont think we will see Suri Cruise or one of the other children in movies in just a few years?? Even John Travolta's daughter is acting..
    I mean, these kids wouldnt make it in Hollywood as easily as they are if their parents werent who they are but since they have the opportunity unlike many of us who are just talking trash cause there is jealousy.... Most of us if we had the opportunity would have loved to be a child star....
    I say good for them.. milk it.. get what you can!!! They can leave the haters behind!!

February 8, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. CHase

An accoplishment? That's like saying some kid with downs syndrome learned how to wipe his ass is an accomplishment. If willow or will or jada or jayden were ever in front of me id pee all over them. I hope their planes crash

February 8, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Ah, CHase; Poor jealous, frightened idiot. Be careful or a house might drop on you! LOL!

February 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hm

I didn't know kids were off from school today.

February 8, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. T-rex

Gotta get me some hot jiggaboo loving!

February 8, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  16. JanetsNIPPS

Does it really matter what this little SHYTBAG has to say about anything?

February 8, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  17. Who Cares

Thats one ugly kid. Looks like she swung right in outa the jungle. OOGA BOOGA!!!

February 8, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Do the monkey swing all the way to the bank, Willow! Who Cares is a jealous, bitter idiot! Hee hee.

February 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Oh no

Will Smith, his BYTCH and his munchkins are all SHI TTY at acting. And what with the "George Clinton – Parliament – Mothership" Hairdo"

PS...The remake of Karate Kid was a blaspheny.

February 8, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. D

Gonna have us some Beiber babies !

February 8, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. D

Me and T-rex are engaged ! YES !

February 8, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  21. W L I Z-Dec, Ga

@Child Labor Laws; FYI, I'm probably 'growner' than you and was educated through college! My major subjects were psychology and history. However, I decided to take a job with the federal government and retired after 32 years of service in 2002; So I think I have quite enough living experience; personally and socially under my belt! I never had children, but I helped to raise 2 neices, 1 nephew and 5 step-children. Being southern-born, I have a birdseye view for racial injustices and disenfranchisement!

February 8, 2011 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

@W LIZ- having studied 'psychology' and 'history' you think that would have made you a bit more preceptive, you are spewing you're own hatred when all labor laws was doing was stating what he saw. A CHILD working and also stating he wasn't into the music. Also I'm not sure how much more grown you can be using words like GROWNER but I'm pretty sure any EDUCATED person would know better than that. Why don't you take a step back and REALLY take a look at what they're saying, because HE unlike you, isn't making any personal attacks just observations. Anyone who studied 'psychology' would have the basic understanding of perception versus personal biase which you obviously do not. Where exactly did you go to college, so I know to stay away?

February 8, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Posh-Kenneth

SHUT UP YOU IDIOT and do some tap dancin.

February 8, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Babiyaga

@W LIZ blah blah & Posh-Kenneth: in case you were wondering Liz, that's what getting slapped with some truth looks and feels like. In my opinion, you still have some more "grownering" to do. Seriously. Nicely said Posh, way to be honest AND on point. You're a lot nicer than I am, I would have told Madea there to calm down and take some xanax.

February 8, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

*dances* like that? Who am I, Fred Astair? No bish, you want to see my song and dance you gotta buy me dinner first. XD

February 8, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  22. W L I Z- Dec, Ga

@Child Labor Laws; of course you want to accuse ME of being narrow-minded and uneducated for being 'BROAD-MINDED' having total comprehension of your 'hateful spew' in the 3rd post on this subject! READ IT! Were you expressing your views on how children should be raised? You say I'm narrow-minded? Ok! But you tried to make a 'comeback' in the 14th post with your claims of potential dangers befacing child stars..blah blah blah. You said 'I am not white'. Isn't that statement racist? You made my point anyway!

February 8, 2011 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  23. Michael Jackson

i just got off from those pics...i feel better now...

February 8, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. D

lol

February 8, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Oscars Helmet

sounds like someones daughter.. watched to many Fresh prince of Bel-Air episodes... .

February 7, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  26. D

It's crazy how his kids look so much like Will Smith! I watched Karate kid with a friend and we looked at each other and laughed every time he made a face or did something that is just like Will Smith. I loved that movie! Same with Willow!!

February 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Child Labor Laws?

@Doug and Karen
    -my mistake, I misread the statement made my Karen

February 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. MJ

Unfortunately there is a hugh market for child entertainers. As long as there is a stage there will be kids trying to break into the business and stage parents backing them all the way. We've all seen what happens to so many child stars and teen idols.
    Child labor laws makes valid points.

February 7, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Doug

@ child labor laws: you missed Karen's point. Your earlier post stated you "don't know why they play that crap on the radio". The same was said of the stars Karen listed and now they are all music legends.

Personally I wouldn't want my kids in the entertainment business either.

February 7, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  30. molly

wow...some ppl r just sensative and serius....

February 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Child Labor Laws?

Of course, because I don't think kids should put into that kind of grown up lifestyle with that kind of pressure instead of growing up like a normal kid, she will be shoved into adulthood and she will be swayed by hollywood. Many child stars put into hollywood come out doing drugs, drinking and partying too much and will experience a lot of hardships that are just unavoidable. Now because I express my views about how childeren should be raised, I'm racist? You have a skewed view on reality if you throw that race card out anytime anyone disagrees with someone. I should just accuse you being racist for making a statement like that because I am not white. I'm a grown educated woman with 2 childeren, and would never put my child under that kind of pressure. @W L I Z-Dec, Ga- you're a very narrow minded person and should probably get some education too. @Karen-all of those people drank too much and did drugs-not very good examples. @Yaiyo making assumptions about my success and my own parents success you have no insight too- they own their own business-I choose not to continue down that path of owning their business. Just because you disagree with my opinion does not mean I'm better or worse as a person. Grow up a little and experience life and you'll know the meaning of talent or success.

February 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Phil

Damn girl, you talk too much. I bet you're overweight too...

February 8, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

@Child Labor Laws – judgmental much? The Smith's can raise their children how ever they want to. Just because you wouldn't have your kid in show business doesn't mean that some other parent would want their kid in the business. As long as they have good morals and don't mistreat others, they should be okay. I think you're just jealous because Jaden and Willow Smith are very wealthy in their own right and are financially set for life and you and the other haters on this board just can't stand that. Stop judging others. Nobody is perfect, you included.

February 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Doug

Willow's first single was #5 on hip hop charts and #11 on billboard. The song is being played in adult clubs. Quite an accomplishment for a 10 year old regardless of who her parents are.

February 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr Phil

No, it just shows how stupid you, and the rest of your clubbing friends are.

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  33. b=Dog

She looks like dad, sings like mom. yikes

February 7, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Karen

@ child labor laws: society frowned on Buddy Holly, Elvis and the Beatles also. Now they are music legends.

February 7, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  35. OLE CROW

Parental pimps.

February 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. JD

The Smith kids are simply joining the family business like so many other kids of celebrities have. Many of today's top stars have celebrity parents. I'm looking forward to the new Annie with Willow in the lead role.

February 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Marie

STOP HATEING.....HATERS....HATERS....IF THAT WAS YOUR PARENTS...AND YOU HAD TALENT...BUT ITS NOT YOU...SO DO WHAT YOU DO BEST....HATE ON HATE....ONE LOVE TO THE SMITH FAMIY..

February 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  38. W L I Z-Dec, Ga

@Child Labor Laws; Just say it! YOU DON'T LIKE GREAT BLACK AMERICAN STARS KIDS, having an edge into celebrity like their parents, who worked hard to gain their own. OH, there have been many white stars kids, who went into acting, singing, dancing, celebrity on the backs of their parents statuses of already being UP THERE on the 'RED CARPET! Even if it was just commercials! What about your child labor laws then? I think youre just another selfish racist! A black child isn't suppose to have it that easy!!

February 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

@ WLIZ- Being as I am black I'd like to say this as nicely as possible: SHUT UP ALREADY with the racist card BS. Not everyone who dislikes something else is racist. and FYI- just be glad there weren't nukes during the civil war because it could have ended like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, them dropping them on us and poof, we explode. Now those were some disrespected peoples. Also NO CHILD should have it like that, black, white, mexican, I don't care. If someone is "working" before the legal age of 15 (depending on your state laws) its considering CHILD LABOR. The guy was stating a fact, maybe you're the one who is a little bit racist against others? That labor laws guy was actually saying something to PROTECT that child ya ignorant moron.

February 8, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Posh-Kenneth

Shut up you idiot. When u gonna do some tap dancin for us?

February 8, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

@ the other @-actually Maxxie was the dancer, not Kenneth. Kenneth was the crappy rapper.

February 8, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  39. Yaiyo

You are wonderful Willow!

February 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Child Labor Laws?

I don't like stars' kids...they think they have a career at 10 and thinks that singing is a job...I don't know why they allow that crap to play on the radio...

February 7, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yaiyo

Because children need to hear something besides the crap they play now. God forbid she has fun doing it. Nursery rhymes are even voilent. Don't hate you have no talent or it's not displayed or being paid. You're mad your parents had no talents to pass on to you..except whining and complaining. Reinvent yourself.

February 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Redcarpet Downthere

The fresh steamer hairdo pic..never gets old.

February 7, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Superhiro

Go away celebrity leech. You're not talented, your father is. Hell not even your mother's talented.

February 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yaiyo

Hater..won't keep her from reaching her dreams and goals. Sorry you have none. Laughing at your butt all the way to the bank....

February 7, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

WILL SMITH NEEDS TO RE READ THE LYRICS TO THIS SONG HE TALKS ABOUT ABDUCTIN AND TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF A TWELVE YEAR OLD

February 8, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • jake

look whos talking idiot, shes more talented than ur fat ass who clicks on the link and then hate it. HATERS ARE LOSERS

February 8, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |