Was the latest 'Glee' a thriller?
February 7th, 2011

Was the latest 'Glee' a thriller?

The anxiously awaited post-Super Bowl episode of "Glee" had Coach Beiste and Mr. Schuster trying to bring the football team and show choir together to end the animosity.

The focus was on getting the football team to be more cohesive, but I think this could refer to the show itself.

Anyone who reads this blog knows that for the most part I am a die-hard “Glee” fan, but this season has felt slightly off to me. Between Rachel being a total witch (or whatever rhymes with that) quite often and some of the uneven storylines, I keep waiting for them to totally get their mojo back.

So when Sunday night’s episode started off with Sue Sylvester being totally bored with an over-the-top Cheerios performance of Katy Perry’s “California Gurls,” it got me thinking – am I the problem?

I didn't want to throw a tantrum like Coach Sylvester did when she couldn’t shoot Brittany out of a cannon or anything, but like Sue, have I just lost that loving feeling? I adore it when she's crazy, and it’s even better this year with her assistant Becky shadowing her everywhere.

While Coach Sylvester tries to push her cheerleaders to the limit to win the championship, Schu and Beiste are breaking up fights left and right between the football players and the glee club members. Rachel and Puck sang Lady Antebellum’s “Need You Now” to show the jocks that it’s not all show tunes, but the performance didn't go over that well.

Things didn’t really start to gel until they decided to do a “Thriller” halftime show during the big football game. Gee, that almost reminds me of the Super Bowl! (Actually, I preferred the “Glee” kids’ halftime performance to the actual Super Bowl halftime show, but that’s a whole other blog post.)

Anywho, there were hopes that they all could just get along - until the athletes got slushied by the hockey team. (McKinley High has a hockey team? Who knew?!)

This brought us back to square one with the football players who weren’t already glee club members not wanting to perform. Smack dab in the midst of all of this, The Warblers performed “Bills, Bills, Bills” by Destiny’s Child and it hit me – this is what I have been missing from “Glee.”

The song choice seemed completely random and bizarre, but I loved it. Watching Blaine break it down a la Beyonce made me realize that I miss the wonder of “Glee’s” first season, when I never knew what to expect and I was often happily surprised.

I want more of that, and I did get a bit of it with the “Thriller”/”Heads Will Roll” mash-up. It was cute, exciting and feel-good. Santana, Brittany and Quinn all defected from the Cheerios to be there, and Mercedes, Rachel and Tina joined the football team after the revolt led by Karofsky and the boys.

Puck gave a heartfelt speech to his fellow jocks, Finn let Sam be the quarterback and by the end even Karofsky was on board doing the zombie dance. Awwww. Way to tug at my heart strings, “Glee.”

There was also a great cameo by Katie Couric, who made me giggle when she alerted Sue that she was a bigger loser than a string of losers including the economy, Mel Gibson, unemployment, Dina Lohan and “Brett Favre’s cell phone.” Hilarious!

And what was up with the Quinn/Finn kiss? Are we really going there again?

What did you think of the latest episode of “Glee”? Sound off!

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. shell517nj

I only watched it for 2 episodes, MJ's Thriller and then again for MJ's PYT for valentine's day. they saved thriller for last so I was forced to watch the whole post superbowl episode. not a bad cover of thriller, but the camera angles were not good on the field. however i will never become a gleek, it's not my cup of tea or coffee. lol.

February 12, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fat is OUT

Maybe next time they do one of these G A Y dance routines they atleast could leave out the fat girls.

February 9, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Fame

This just a ripoff and just a bad as the 70's show "FAME". It was real shytty just like this pile of crap.

February 9, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. A Dumb Lambutt

Hi girls....I would love to be on your show but it isnt quite G A Y enough for me. Perhaps is Justin Beiber could do an X rated butt phucking scene I might re-consider...Toodles.

February 9, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cliff Wheeler

That little FA GG OT in the wheel chair shouldnt be allowed to participate. He ruins the whole thing. Maybe on an up coming episode they could take him for a ride and then push him over a cliff.

February 9, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Doo Doo El Monstro

Whats with the idiot in the wheelchair? Wheelchair people cant play football or dance. This is STUUPID. Change the name of the show from Glee TO G A Y.

February 8, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Stupid

@DOODOO this show is about a Glee club...singing is what its about get a clue and don't hate on people just because there crippled...moron

February 8, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dan

The Chevy commercial they did was the best part of the whole show. I think it was the first time since Dinah Shore did it with lyrics back in the 60's! Otherwise, like a football team that had been whipping them for half the game would cave at the sight of some makeup.

February 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sean

I thought last night's episode was fantastic particularly Sue's tantrums...hilarious! I was also surprised at how much I loved Rachel: 1) having to be restrained during the Glee Club vs. Football Team scuffle 2) playing football ("Let's kick some a**!"). Brittany was great as always ("How may m's are there in the letter 'R'?") LOL! I agree that "Bills, Bills, Bills" was incredibly random, but it was still good. All in all, great episode!

February 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. El Jefe

This show and those who watch it, continue to be gay...

February 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gleek4Life

The thriller mash-up was so good! I really don't get this season (isn't it called foreign exchange??) Idk, i'm waiting for it to be as good as the first season. But no matter how bad (is it really ever bad?) it gets, I'll still watch it :)

February 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Renee

Been watching Glee since the beginning...and I really enjoyed this particular episode!!!

February 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Adam A

If her name is actually French, then it would be "Bieste", not "Beiste"....

I just don't understand why Glee won't stop sucking. This was the best episode of the season, and they still can't do better than this?

February 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chad G.

The thriller dance would have been nice

February 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jim

The "Bills, Bills, Bills" perf was the hilite. Darren Criss is really one he'll of a talent; I'm glad he's getting this much exposure.

I did find it odd that a bunch of students from an expensive school would be singing a song like "Bills".

February 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JA

Seriously? I watched this show because my kids said it was great. What a bunch of crap. I only lasted ten minutes and I had seen more than enough!

February 7, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Loren

Lots of laugh out loud moments and what was that bits. Surrender to the show and don't look for deep meaning, after all, it is about high school. Have fun!

February 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Gleek-o-meter

I am also getting the second season blues. I realize I like the element of surprise and the randomness of some of the performance. i.e. The Warblers performance. Perhaps a spin off is in the works. That was the highlight of the show for me. I think they need to be careful how many "lessons" they want us to learn before it becomes less entertainment and more life lesson-ish. I love the show and many of the characters so I hope they get back to the original dynamite performances. I did love the Katie Couric spot but wish we could have seen her dance routine with Mr. Shu, that was a big disappointment. And "Ninja poop", loved it.

February 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Erik

I usually love Glee – been watching it since it began. These last few episodes have left me flat. They are just ok.

February 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Neil n Kansas

Awww I Luv'd Glee...I'm gonna start watching more often!!

February 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JDolblizile

First time I watched Glee.. I found it to be entertaining and I liked the songs and production.. The Story is a little 90210ish.. Something about hooking up with girlfriend and getting another pregnant. But I guess they need the controversy and deep subjects.. Not sure I'm going to watch it again, but i liked the half-time song they did much better then the black eye peas half time show..

February 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ben

when it comes to Glee, I've got the season two blues. I do not like the direction the show is going, ahem like all the guys in glee club being on the football team, really? I started watching Glee as a not too sure of myself senior in high school. Glee was a wonderful show to watch because they were all kids like me. people who felt they really didnt fit in. But sadly it's changed now. with the song list consisting of generally new and popular songs it just seems like a money trap.

February 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Vicious

Is that Snooki back there?
    haha

February 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JoJo

More Beast (Beiste)!

February 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  24. gwen

Glee's got my vote for SB46 halftime show. Since BEP's was the bowls of all halftime shows, there's nowhere to go but up. P.S. They also have my vote to sing the National Anthem!

February 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Spaulding

I thought Ted Williams played for red sox?

February 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Joanne

OMG Maggie, great idea Adam Lambert YES!!

February 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Bubbles

he's the homeless dude... .

February 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King really likes "Was the latest Glee a Thriller?"

February 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. louie

Adam who?

February 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Maggie

They should get Adam Lambert to do a guest appearance...they would make the ratings soar!!!

February 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  31. D

lol

February 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. D

I dont get Glee...

February 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Victor

I really enjoyed this show. I thought all the song choices were marvelous and I truly enjoyed watching Finn shine as the leader he's always been. I am worried about that last scene though. It will only help to bring more divisions in the group if it becomes public knowledge.

February 7, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  34. cheefsfury

ONE WORD "NINJA POOP"

February 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  35. DougB

Compared to the rest of the 2nd season, I thought this was a good episode–not great, just good. I was a bit worried with that first song between Puck and Rachel, I thought that it was a bit lame. However, the Warblers kicked it up a knotch and the Thriller half-time show brought it home. It was a truly exciting production. The whole Sue and the canon story I found tiring, but I liked how Finn solved the big unity problem–he's not the dumby that he's made out to be.

February 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |