February 7th, 2011

Super movie trailer Sunday

As you well know, the Super Bowl isn't just a football game or virtual national holiday - it's also a special time for advertisers to try and get you to buy stuff. Or, for Hollywood, an opportunity to try and lock in some potential viewers.

And so the tradition continued on Sunday night, with a slew of trailers airing throughout the game. The most-appreciated, though, seems to be the spot for the Steven Spielberg-produced, J.J. Abrams-directed  "Super 8," a sci-fi film set in 1979 that involves a Super 8 camera, a train accident and some non-human life forms that Abrams has been intensely secretive about.

Last night's trailer may not have answered many questions, but it did amp up anticipation for film's June 10 release.

We also get a glimpse at two Marvel superheroes that will fly into theaters this summer: "Captain America," as played by Chris Evans, and "Thor," portrayed by Chris Hemsworth.

The "Captain America: The First Avenger" trailer showed Evans going from gangly solider to a beefed-up hero, as well as some of the film's period details.

"Thor," meanwhile, depicted plenty of rain and a little of the repartee between Hemsworth and co-star Natalie Portman, who plays the fierce warrior's love interest, Jane Foster.

There was also a spot for “Transformers: Dark of the Moon,” which, in lieu of giving us dialogue, opted for fight scenes and explosions instead.

And then there was the commercial for Jon Favreau's summer 2011 release starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, "Cowboys & Aliens." The swift trailer showed some serious human-on-extra-terrestrial battling, plus a glimpse or two of Olivia Wilde.

For those unaware, Sunday night's movie promo bonanza made it clear that there is indeed another installment of the "Fast & Furious" franchise, and yes, it's coming soon to a theater near you. The trailer showed that old favorites Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Jordana Brewster return for "Fast Five."

Last but not least, Johnny Depp's "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" spot last night reminded us that Jack Sparrow's return isn't far off - the movie debuts on May 20, 2011.

Which trailer convinced you the movie's a must-see, and which has you thinking twice? If we missed your favorite from last night, let us know!

Filed under: movies

« Previous entry
  1. Ute Masden

I victimised to be solon than contented to conclude this web-site.I wished to thanks on your term for this wonderful acquire!! I positively having fun with every slight less bit of it and I've you bookmarked to traverse a await at new sundries you journal transfer. Halloween 2 HD full movie part 1 of 12

August 25, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. mysterybox2

March 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Vic

I'm a comic book fan, but I have to admit, I will not go see Captain America or Thor at a theater near me. I'm just not that impressed and I believe I can wait and pay $1.00 to see it on RedBox.

I'm definitely going to see Pirates 4. The best way to see Sparrow is on the big screen. Not sold yet on Super 8.

February 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 2FLI

Didn't need Superbowl ads, was already going to watch all of the above movies.

February 8, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mbuff3

No Battle LA plug?? way better than C&I !! looK it uP!

February 8, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ipodman

Transformers 3 looks awesome!

Cap is shaping up pretty good... I was expecting it to be a joke... :/

February 8, 2011 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. caesar

nothing original this year. what a lame summer it's cutting out to be.... [sigh]

February 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike J.

Nothing original??? Uh, okay. I agree that there are too many sequels...but I guess you're not a comic book fan. The geeks, like myself, are going to have a wonderful summer at the movies!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Gator1985

Nothing original, huh? So, you must have been in the bathroom when the preview for Super 8 came on. Also, in this generation there is about a 0.01% chance that any movie coming out is purely original. Avatar = Fern Gulley + Pocahontas. The Roommate = Single White Female. Easy A = a loose rendition of Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'The Scarlet Letter'. Almost nothing in today's cinema is a truely original thought.

As a South Park episode says – "Simpsons did it!"

February 8, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

Easy A = a loose rendition of Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'The Scarlet Letter'. THATS NOT A SECRET MAN YOUR ACTING LIKE NO ONE THAT SAW THIS MOVIE PAYED ATTENTION

February 8, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. GazRBeam

cowboys & aliens looks awesome! Hopefully it'll follow through, Captain America looks pretty sweet, transformers again eh, and no more fast & furious pleez

February 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Oscars Helmet

It's a tossup...I'll have to wait for Willow Smith in "Annie" trailer.

February 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |