Jennifer Aniston said no to 'SNL' to do 'Friends'
February 3rd, 2011

Jennifer Aniston said no to 'SNL' to do 'Friends'

Just before she became a part of Thursday night's must-see TV lineup, Jennifer Aniston turned down the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live."

The actress revealed that shocker during an appearance on yesterday's "Oprah Winfrey Show" along with "Just Go With It" co-star Adam Sandler.

Sandler was already part of the "SNL" cast in the early '90s when he urged his new friend Aniston to come on board.

"I remember being on the ninth floor where ['SNL' creator] Lorne Michaels' office was, and seeing Jen come in," Sandler told Winfrey. "I was like, 'Oh, my God. There's Aniston. Is she about to be on our show?'"

Aniston, who was also contemplating doing a new comedy pilot at the time, told Sandler she had actually just turned down Michaels' offer.

"It was a boys' club," she told Winfrey of her decision. "They thought I was making a huge mistake."

Instead, she decided to do a little show called "Friends." Joked Aniston, "It did alright."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Jennifer Aniston • movies • television

1. mastropuppet

Jennifer aniston if you were married to me id make up words after using up all words that make you want to stay home with me and not wanna go to work. I love you mami

February 23, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lilydaisy

She definitely made the right decision. She's a lovely looking girl but with limited acting talent, and is wise to know this about herself.

February 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. reece

God LOVES Jennifer Anniston, and He loves every last one of us. I know us Americans are use to hearing that but it's true peeps! :) Its my older bros 25th Bday and I'm gonna go chow some grub! Have a great day!

February 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Susan

She was in a sitcom for gods sake I hardly call her one of the finest actors in her craft. All her movies are the same and she seems like she has no personality or humor.....another over paid , over exposed media darling that they force on the rest of us....

February 4, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jadebadd

Come on down to OmeletVille!

February 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JennifURANUSton

LOL...Lorne Michaels would NEVER even have considered hiring this talentless, useless bag of bones to work on SNL. She is just lying again. This lady has a major problem with lying an self image. I hope she will very soon Go STRAIT2HELL to be with the Kennedys.

February 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. EveryoneHasAn Opinion

I wasn't a fan of Friends until it went into syndication but I have enjoyed it since. As for Jennifer, she is a beautiful, independent and smart lady. I truly don't understand why so many think she is unhappy or that her life is lacking in any way. If I had to pick a celeb to trade lives with, it would be with her and I am happily married and 6 years older. I respect her for living her life as she sees fit. She seems real to me and I enjoy her movies. They aren't meant to be anything more than entertaining and they are certainly that.

February 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobothemonkey

It seems that Ms. Aniston and her PR people spend alot of time trying to validate her fame. The last newsworthy thing she did was divorce Brad Pitt, and the media still drags it out on a regular basis just to remind us of.....I don't know...what is supposed to be so special about Jennifer Aniston. How long can you live clinging on to the past, Rachel??

February 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dko

squirrellove – Alright IS a word in American English. —Usage note
    The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing.

February 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ugggggg

So fun to read these silly rants. Imagine if you used all that passion towards something in your life- I think Jen Aniston has plenty of haters.

February 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Suz

I never understood the fanfare surrounding Jennifer Aniston. I've seen her interviewed several times and she really does not have much to say. She plays with her hair alot but comes off pretty dumb, in my opinion. I watched the Oprah interview and then caught a rerun of Friends....like the rest of us, she's getting old...plain and simple. I would recommend she stop smoking cigarettes...when you see her then and now, her face looks 52, not 42.

February 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jack Handy

The only time this bimbo could make me happy would be when Im taking aPEE in her mouth. Otherwise she is worthless.

February 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JennifURANUSton

Uh NO...she is a talentless worthless self-absorbed lying SHYTBAG.

February 3, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Oodoodanoo

I'm sure she regrets every day that she isn't part of the Happy Gilmore universe.

February 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. candice

I have seen many interviews of her and I think she would be so much fun to hang out with. It is the media that has produced this image of her being "Baby Crazy". Why do people think that she is unhappy over not having one? She is enjoying the life she has, why hate on her for it? Who here wouldn't love the chance to access here bank account and have her killer body for a weekend?
    P.S. – The Good Girl is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

February 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. herrsonic

For an old broad in her 40s, she actually looks pretty good.
    She was good in "Friends." Right move, Jennifer.

February 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Eilene Dover

Jennifer A was fun and entertaining on "Friends" but an Oscar contender she is not. I agree, she picks the wrong movies and basically plays the same roll over and over. But to say something so mean about letting Brad Pitt get away? What was she supposed to do. He goes off and gets seduced by "Fishmouth Jolie" and doesn't even have the sensitivity to tell Jen why he's leaving her! As far as I can see he is the Dumb A that let HER get away. Brad Pitt is a lying, cheating, wuss that lets Jolie wear the pants. Jen is well to be rid of him. Angelina was fully aware he was married and swore she would never sleep with a married man because her dad cheated on her mom and she knew first hand the hurt involved. Angelina is just another beautiful ho, and she can adopt and pop out babies and play house with Brad til the cows come home but it won't change who they are and what they did. I hope I live to see the day when they get a little Karma back.

February 3, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • magnus

i am not sure that is the entire story. from my understanding, brad wanted children and jen did not. jen is very selfish person and brad wanted to dedicate his life to raising children and helping others. jen is more worried about spending 50K on her haircuts. angelina offered something that jen could not, a family and philanthropy. you are correct about angelina being a ho though. i'm not saying what brad did was right, but there are two sides to every story and you portrayed jen as this great person. she does not understand what it means to give and perhaps brad felt empty because of it.

February 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. me!

why is everyone hating on jennifer aniston??...she's one of the few actors'/actress' that has NO drug or alchol problem!!...she's beautiful awesome actress..she has everything goin for her!!!...would everyone like her more if she was more like charlie sheen that has kids and still acts like he's a kid!!?!? i love jennifer aniston and will always watch her movies/ tv shows!!

February 3, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • not you, me too!

How do you know she doesn't have a serious problem of some kind...couldn't keep Brad Pitt down on the farm? Gotta have some problem...How does a girl like this have trouble getting a boyfriend. Sites are really high and she should keep them there...have you seen what men have to offer lately?!?!?! Exactly.

February 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Craven

I feel sorry for her in a way. Sure she has millions of dollars and is an A list actress but isn't it kind of obvious that she is not happy? She has shown some pushy qualities that are real turn offs for the kinds of men that she seems to be attracted to. Men who have their crap together and are having fun and do not need to get into a relationship that is on a rocket and prefer slower relationships that if they fall apart do not cause as much pain for them. She is getting Old now and her Baby maker has been causing her to be pushy. I do wish her luck. She is a very beautiful woman and if she finds out how to let her man be himself instead of running him off she should do well

February 3, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • S25661

Why do you feel sorry for her? And, how do you know she is not happy? Do you know her?

February 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • me!

yea why feel sorry for her??...oprah isn't married or have any kids and she is very happy!!..and y have a baby when she's workin and traveling everywhere and would be missing out on all the stages of raising babies!?!

February 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • magnus

i do not feel sorry for a person that makes millions of dollars a year on friends' reruns and movies. she is more wealthy than you can imagine. she is not miserable at all. not one bit. she does not want children. she is too selfish to focus her attention on raising a child. i am not blaming her for not wanting children if that is what she wants. i am just saying that she does not sit alone, starring at the walls, depressed that she is missing something in her life. she is fine.

February 3, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johninavl

Where is it written that people have to have children to be happy??

February 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. sakisgalan

hi! greek!!a like you!!
    useful topics, and recipes

February 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Durk

@Johninavl: They don't make movies for 1 person.

February 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Todd

As a 29 year old male i must say, Aniston is still SMOKIN hot!!!

February 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. shalb

more useless trivia about Jennifer Aniston just as one of her unremarkable movies is about to come out.... does she save up this tidbits of info? and do we care? She will always be known as the idiot who let Brad Pitt get away!

February 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • S25661

LET Brad get away? Uhhh... NOT! Who would want to be married with someone that is easily inclined to sway with a co-star... Good riddance! She is better off...Angelina knows that he is the "swaying" kind and can't keep it in his pants, which is why she keeps him globe trotting. Sad!

February 3, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. slow poke

Hahahhahahahah and this is why this country is goin straight to hell.is there really nothing better to do with your time. Now I am guilty of being stupid I just had to comment.

February 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Johninavl

I would love to see a Friends reunion movie.

Maybe one day.

February 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Allison

Um, you're all idiots. This article is about JENNIFER ANISTON. It's not about the right or wrong spelling of the words the writer used.

February 3, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori

It just that a discussion that took place with my 7th grade English class is more entertaining than Jennifer Aniston's career. That's all we're saying. Jennifer has earned Razzies in both 2009 and 2010 and I believe that all and right should never be one word. I think the discussion on all and right is more exciting than Aniston's career.

February 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. DURk

Pleassz do knot makke phun off mi spelin

February 3, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  28. Andrew

"Alright" is a word. You guys are idiots

February 3, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  29. Michael

LOL you all have too much time on your hands if you are commenting on misspellings....WHO CARES...get over it. I guess the same could be said for me, commenting on the ridiculousness that people post. :)

February 3, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  30. blake

hey jen, you are the greatest, now let get everyone to support Charlie Sheen. You really have the power
    so speak out, pleast for all your fan and charlies.

February 3, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

what in the world does she have to do with Charlie Sheen? How is she going to save him when his own family can't?

February 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • EricLr

Well, they have one thing in common. They're both aging TV stars who I would like to see go away.

February 3, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jeff

Kudo's Adam. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing.

February 3, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

Also false.... In modern english the two are completely interchangeable. Look it up.

February 3, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  32. Adam

"Alright" is not a word. Try "all right" instead. Who writes these things?

February 3, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

False... Alright absolutely is a word. Look it up.

February 3, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Adam, "alright" is a word, and is listed in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. It's a shortened version that has its first known use in 1887. I agree that in formal writing, the short version may be met with some disdain from purists, but in this context, it's just fine.

February 3, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • UFC iTard

e.g.- Joe: "How you doing Bob?
      Bob: "I'm alright."

February 3, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • magnus

"hey man, do you want this last piece of pizza", asked Bob
      "I'm alright", answered Pete, " i ate enough slices"

February 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Here's another example:

Me: Hey Adam are you alright?
      Adam: No man, I just got pwn'ed on the interwebz.

February 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. I'm one of those moron's that pick on writer's flubs

Did Aniston say that or did Sandler? Come on CNN Writers, you are paid $20 million dollars a year for this????

February 3, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Law

What is it you believe "Joked Aniston" means?

February 3, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • UFC iTard

Wow, learn2comprehend? And what planet are you living where it's even a remote possibility that any writer for any group makes $20 million a year? Obvious troll is obvious.

February 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zebula

It's writers', moron.

February 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

you're complaining about the writers when you don't even understand basic sentence structure? "joked Aniston" means SHE said it, moron.

February 3, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • magnus

wow, that's embarrassing. you've been served. Ouch.

February 3, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RCS

SNL really did have a reputation for being a boys club back then. I'm not sure how it is now because it bores me to sleep. Doesn't say much for me but it says even less for the show I used to love. That girl with the Hannah Montana bit is dead on with it. That cracks me up.

February 3, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  35. shawn

Yikes, Carly! Why the hate? – do yourself a favor and get professional help.

February 3, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Carly should "get professional help" because she suggested she doesn't like Jennifer Aniston? A little extreme, don't you think?

I don't particularly care for Ms. Aniston either. Should I start looking for a therapist to help me through my obvious mental defect?

February 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC-VA

Just Shut Up! Probably a bounch of fat ladies talking about how much they hate her.... Think about it, you just want to at least have her looks if not her money.

February 3, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Carly

Too bad she didn't say no to "acting"...

February 3, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • My Name is Mud

Either way, her father would have gotten her on a tv series. There was no escaping her...

February 3, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • iseedumbholes

You've not seen The Good Girl? Or are you just jealous? With all the hobags famous for being hobags running around out there, you take issue with Aniston? PUH-thetic one.

February 3, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark in nyc

her PR person is working overtime to keep her in the news. girl must have numerous films in release. too bad she plays the same role over and over and over.

February 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

@isee oh wow she made one halfway decent movie a billion years ago-that proves what? 99% of her output is complete tripe

February 3, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • SquirrelLove

Well, I think she was ok on Friends, but a movie star she's not. She is just trying very hard to stay relevant in the few years she has left in this business – she turn out more rom-com movies w/ her in the starring role if she has to pay for the entire production herself.

Yeah, too bad her father had the connections to get her a job. And btw, 'alright' is not a word.

February 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • pockets

She is nothing but another Sarah Palin.

February 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |