Since you are apologizing, 'American Idol'...
February 2nd, 2011

Since you are apologizing, 'American Idol'...

Ryan Seacrest tweeted on Wednesday that producers of the show plan on issuing some type of apology.

"At the idol working on the LA episode that you will see thursday," Seacrest said on Twitter.  "Tomorrow is austin. Make sure u watch the producers apology at the top :)

Seacrest doesn't say what the show will be apologizing for, but here are a few suggestions for the mea culpa:

1) Steven Tyler's skeevy remarks to female contestants – C'mon Steven. We love you and all, but the flirty remarks, animals noises and looks you have been casting at some of the young ladies has been creeping us out a bit. Please make it stop.

2) Falling for the water works – Simon Cowell would have NEVER let people advance to Hollywood simply because they wail and beg. Sure it's heartbreaking to not be chosen, but go home and work on improving your skills instead of weeping like it's the end of the world. Get a backbone judges.

3) Moving the show to Wednesday and Thursday nights – Umm, hello fans of "Community," "Big Bang Theory" and "Vampire Diaries." We now have to DVR said shows in order to get our "Idol" fix. We hate having to choose.

4) The countless kids making it to Hollywood – We get that everyone wants to find the next Justin Bieber, but we are getting slightly nervous about the inordinate amount of 15-year-olds being allowed to advance to the next round.Yes, they have talent, but are they tough enough?

You think adults break down over rejection? Well, we imagine that you ain't seen nothing yet until you see a teen find out that Hollywood is the end of the road for them.

5) Making us weep each episode – And while we are on the subject of tears, the emotional manipulation each week is wearing us out. Tragic back stories make for great television, but we can't take many more like the tale of Chris Medina and his fiance who suffered a traumatic brain injury after a tragic car crash.

We almost ran out of tissues after they wheeled her into the audition room, so please stop messing with our emotions "Idol!"

1. Echo

Both Steven & Jennifer are entertaining & competent judges. And both Bo Bice & Taylor Hicks are good singers & talented performers. Really like American Idol so far.

February 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Robert

I am really enjoying American Idol this year! Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez have surprised me with just how entertaining they are as judges and I think that with Randy this just may be one of the greatest seasons EVER!

February 5, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. driving

it is going to be very interesting' how this End's up" i do agree that the age was a very big mistake""

February 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dena M Crapps

In consideration of all the comments Come on people this is American TV, entertainment, should all producers, apoligize for what us americans watch. We all have opinions and control over what is out there in TV land. I enjoy watching the idol. And the show does raise mega dollars every year to help other countries. And by the way unlike our wonderful political government which has a country in debt for eternity, and we still cant help people in our own country. Just something to think about.

February 4, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Superhiro

This show is still around? And still popular? I'll be damned.

February 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. samuels

Come on people! American Idol is so over! It had it's day now please just let it quietly go away!

February 3, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jing

while they're at it, how about they apologize for making this monstrosity!

February 3, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dee

First, I have to point out that while most contestants will be long forgotten in 40 years, the same is true of most of the current recording artists regardless of how they got their start. Many can barely carry a tune outside of the studio so once the cuteness and novelty wears off, there's nothing left.

AI has been a joke for years. So many 15 year olds are making it because the tweens are the ones who'll text, call, etc. until their fingers hurt and thoughtlessly spend their parents money on whatever pops up on the screen. The talent has often gone home while they focus on diversity for the top 24. Then the judges groan each week about "Duuuude, that wasn't good at all", "You picked the wrong song", etc. It's really unfair to the contestants as they were picked for appearance or quirkiness even though this is supposedly a singing show. I haven't watched a full season in quite some time but I used to watch the auditions. Even that got old as it was clear many were staged or the mentally ill being exploited. I won't see it, but they should apologize for the bad choices they've made season after season.

February 3, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Idol lovers

If you love idol then you too are an eater of your own DOO DOO.

February 3, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. judy

i LOVE IDOL, HAVE NOT MISSED A SEASON. THE JUDGES ARE GREAT, THEY HAVE NOT ACTED ANY DIFFERENT WAY THEN ANY OF THE OTHER JUDGES, i JUST HOPE PAULA AND SIMON FINALLY FOUND A ROOM. HAHA

February 3, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. American Idol big plate ofDOO DOO

This show has always been a big pile ofSHYT and they add StevenPHUCKINTyler to the mix. This guys is the biggest braggart, show-off, canned ham there is. He thinks he is so funny and cute but his routine/schtick is just stupid. No wonder Joe Perry cant stand to have him around. Steve you are just another irrelevant useless oldFART.

February 3, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. nicky

Speaking on behalf of the South African watching AI this year, we LOVE the new show, Jennifer and Steven are superstars, they know what they are talking about, they give good advice and Randy is Randy........... there is a nice vibe on the show, we are so over Simon's biting remarks, hell the world is a hard place to be already, be nice.

February 3, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. Roberta

I like Steven's comment in some article or another that just because you can't sing doesn't mean you can't be a good rockstar. Bob Dylan can't sing. Alice Cooper, whom I love, doesn't sing very well, but he sure is entertaining. I think it's totally ok to give people who don't sing that well a chance.

February 3, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. wanda

Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but what they're actually apologizing for is some girl's chest was accidentally exposed while she was talking to Seacrest. Apparently one of her relatives was singing. I didn't see it, but the incident and the apology have been reported all over the place. No mystery here. I didn't think it was any sort of big secret.

February 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dave in NH

Publicity stunt it is. Lame.

February 2, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Mr Jetson

Ok.. IDOL=(death of music and artistry) why? Artist Look up the definition.. not trying to kill my text limit.How does being in a line of 1 million people vying for the chance to demote themselves in front of 3 lack luster artists? (steven is a god, pediphile or not) create art? Why do you have to make people laugh at someone elses misery? They new they was wack before they stepped on the stage.But they give them the chance to embarass themselves in front of 20 mill + people. We call THIS entertainment? Listen to frank sing new york new york. If you arent smiling at the end your not human. These kids dont even know who frank is..Or ella, or louis..or a million other folks that are 100 times more "artistic" than theyll EVEr be,.Give nme the old days when u had to Create a following, and have great "O.R. IG.I.N.A.L music..Not this REhash of everything they ever heard.Stop remaking great songs..OMG THAT WHY THEYRE GREAt..anyways.. thanks for listening.

February 2, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

Original? I think you should do some research on the music of Ella and Louis. They did a lot of "rehashing" of other artists music. Get over it. It's entertainment.

February 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. T3chsupport

For giving me vertigo every time Steven Tyler opens his maw. That thing is impressively huge!

February 2, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. QuietStormX

Some of the suggestions for the mea culpa sound cold. Just wait and find out what happened, the report or being the know it all (what is it?)

February 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. SilentBoy741

6) Releasing Taylor Hicks upon the world.
    7) And Sanjaya Malakar.
    8) And William Hung.
    9) And Bo Bice.

February 2, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. MasterBrain

Boy do I miss Rockstar on CBS. Now there was some talent.

February 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Arlee

People have got to remember this is "entertainment" that all. Sure people said the same type of stuff about Ellen that she would kill the show, Tyler is googling the girls, they are letting too many people through, there are too many heartbreak storys and on and on. If you a watching and writing about it here and follow it week to week, good, bad, or otherwise, you are being entertained. This show is doing it's job, it's when you stop watching and writing is when it will be gone. Other wise if you are on this blog you are part of the production, like it or not.

February 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dave in NH

Oh, and seriously... Who cries watching American Idol?! Woosies.

February 2, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Dave in NH

Hopefully not for anything Tyler's said. That would just be a lame example of caving to nervous sponsors. I especially liked his "hellfire" poem about the duck. I have no problem with his comments to the female contestants. What do you expect? He's the embodiment of s3x, drugs and rock and roll. I think they should apologize for dropping the age limit. I have no interest in watching pretentious 15 year-olds and Bieber-wannabes. I'll stick to the pretentious 17 year-olds, thank you very much.

February 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Googley Eyes

i'd bang J-Lo and then deport her. I'd tell randy to go away. As for tyler, well....... he can stay!!! we'll given him 1 on 1 time and hands on with the young girls........ then we can have Chris Hansen show up during the 1 on 1!!

February 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Smartgirl

The producers will be apologizing because Steven Tyler said at the end of the last show that they found the winner!!! Hellooooooo...... Dumb remark!!!!

February 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Danny

If the apology is due to Tyler's remarks, then that's lame. Suck it up, America! That's rock-n-roll. That's the music biz.

February 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Lisa

Did it occur to anyone that this "apologizing" thing is just a blown up contrived marketing thing to get people to tune in? Yet, everyone is debating it like it is the biggest political issue since gay mariage?

February 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  28. JoAnn

Gone are the days of the cool but forthright Randy, the wacky but thoroughly entertaining Paula, and the no BS, right on the money Simon. I can’t believe that TLJ – aka – Three Lame Judges, have actually told some of the most awful contestants they’ve turned away to “go home and practice, you’re just not ready”. I really miss, “ that was horrendous and “your useless, I’m bored, yes or no”.

February 2, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Adam Yavner

Doesn't matter anyway, we won't be talking about any of these "idols" in 40 years.... think i'll go slap on some Crosby, Stills, and Nash or almost anything from that era and listen to what it was like when musicians actually made the music. Video truly did kill the radio star....

While they're at it, apologise for cramming everyone into this unrealistic cookie-cutter mould of having to sing every song with this contrived "soul-feel" faux vibrato thing they do.. its getting old...

February 2, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mark8000

One time, about three years ago, I was flipping through channels and suddenly there was a guy with a nice voice signing a song from the 1940's that I kind of liked, so I watched him till the end of his performance and then moved on. That's the only time in my life I've watched any part of American Idol.

February 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark8000

And one time in band camp, I let the guy witht the nice voice play with my weee weeee.

February 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Headcase

Quit milking the cow while the chicken hens are out pulling weeds with the sheep.

February 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. dee

Get rid of that Seacrest chick.

February 2, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Glenn

Show jumped the shark ages ago. I'd rather be getting my a$$ kicked on the streets of Cairo than spend even a second viewing this nonsense.

February 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jimmy

Sorry to burst some bubbles, but this show will be around for years to come. I have already got a few great laughs out of Steven Tyler. J-Lo is great eye candy. Randy fits in well to remind me that its still the same show. Great job so far. I do agree about the sappy stories, but some people really like that kind of stuff. There is a little bit in here for everyone.

February 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Laura

Steven Tyler is fabulous. He has nothing to apologize about. This is ENTERTAINMENT PEOPLE. He is not asking to date your underage daughter. Stop creating hate. YOU suck. Go away and stop commenting on this show if you are indeed no longer a fan...move one...we don't need to hear from you anymore. BLAHBLAHBLAH. I will watch tonight just to see Seacrest and the gang I am aving fun with them this season.

February 2, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jo

I could add another 19000 reasons they should apologize. #1still being on the air...

February 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mr Jetson

Ok first(clears throat) I cant go into detail, but Idol is hurting music in general. Ill post again to explain. But on the subject of steven tyler.Do YOU KNOw What A roCK staR IS? HEs been Shangrala'ing 15 year olds since he was 20! All steven knows is Young booty..! Every concert hes ever played has been filled with willing young girls that come backstage to let him do whatever to them..And i mean"WHATEVA" so wHY is it such a surprise that hes being himself on the show. The producers were dumb enough to cast him, and we (not me) are dumb enough to watch. Get a grip hes the real deal old school rock star. Do you think Ozzy apologized for ANYTHING HES EVER SAID OR DONE..nuff said.

February 2, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  38. amy

Number 3 is what is wrong with America. Read a damn book instead of whining about having to choose between 4 mediocre tv shows.

February 2, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Carl

Show is dead and as irrelevant as the 3 judges – Steven 'the cript keeper face' Tyler, junk-in-the-trunk and 'the dawg', yuck. All 3 of them are unwatchable.

February 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Cindy

For as many 15-19's they are putting thru, they should just break it up into 2 groups... teen idol, and adult idol.

February 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Towanda

I realize the blog world doesn't care one way or the other how I feel – but don't everyone get SO upset over AI- either way. If you like it – watch it. If you don't like it – don't watch it. I watched it for years. Don't like it this year. Never did like Tyler – don't like J Lo as a judge. Not watching it this year. Might the last few wks just to hear the singers. And that's my 2 cents worth.

February 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Reader715

Idol is fun to watch again...Steven Tyler, well, is Steven Tyler...he is SO much fun to watch. Jennifer Lopez is finding her way and i love how she looks at the "whole package"...

What a breath of fresh air coming from the "new Idol"!

February 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. LK2

I totally agree! Especially with the moving to Wed & Thurs nights, and the water works! That's NOT what a talent contest is all about! Yes, it's tragic, but it's a good way to get UNFAIR pity votes, too! You need to stop! I tune into Idol to watch entertainment, NOT a soap opera of sad stories! Get back to the what the show is all about! TALENT! Even then I'm beginning to think Idol is sending "not so talented" people to Hollyweird, unless I haven't seen the really good ones yet! I hope that's the case, because nobody's really has "blown me out of the water"!

February 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Person

How about "sorry for wasting airwaves with this trash"?

February 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tam

Steven Tyler skeeves me out with his pervy remarks. And I hope AI has plenty of psychologists on staff when these 15-year-olds melt under the stress as violently as the Nazis did at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

February 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Frizz

1) Steven Tyler is a rockstar, a real rock star, deal with it. 2) What is the harm in letting someone go through because the cry and beg? Now we get to see what happens when they're faced with the reality that a ticket to Hollywood means nothing if you don't make the final 16. 3) You watch those shows? 4) The countless "kids" have amazing talent, let them decide if they're tough enough, and who really cares? Not you, trust me on that. 5) So I guess we shouldn't have touching stories anymore. You're a whiner, stop it. I've only watch 4 seasons, I – III and David "what's his name?" I decided to watch this season because of Steven Tyler. He said to Randy, "Don't tell someone not to sing." That's what's it's all about now and I love it. I miss Simon's analysis but I like that the show isn't mean spirited. And JLo looks amazing.

February 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Seems to me that the harm of letting someone through because they beg is that there are limited spots and they are taking a spot from someone more talented. Thousands of people try out and the criteria shouldn't be who cries the most. I don't watch the show anymore, but just seems like a rational thought...

February 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  47. LMR

At the end of last season, I was absolutely convinced that this show was history. Having watched it from day one, I had no intention of ever watching again. My husband is a die-hard Idol fan and encouraged me to give it one hour of the new season. I did and I'm glad I did. As much as I thought losing Simon Cowell was the death of the show, I now believe it's the best thing that could have happened.

February 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. editor 63

American Idol is now American Eyesore. Pull the plug

February 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Kacy

Jen and Steven have the same hair style! Haha, but seriously, I'm not interested in watching the show without Simon. Although, I did see a little last week and I thought Steven was hilarious with his backwards sayings.

February 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Chris

I have a friend who sang very good and tried out for american idol but didn't make it. Randy Jenifier and Steven didn't even say anything but no. It was just because she didn't have a sob story or wearing anything crazy. American Idol you are so biased when it comes to singers

February 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  51. truthinrock

Face it, Idol is OVER! The producers are pulling out all the stops to get ratings and it's just pathetic. Idol is now the show to watch when nothing else is on. Now that they have moved the shows timeslot, there's Always something better on TV.
    Goodbye American Idol.

February 2, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  52. estreetbill

I have never been a "real" fan of American Idol. Unlike American Idol fans I've watched it in the past at the beginning of the season to get a few laughs at the people who thought they had talent, but should have been in the circus, I always felt a little bit like some of this was contrived letting people get their 15 minutes of fame. They shouldn't have even been considered to be part of the actual airing of the show. I think that the producers knew that there were people like me that watched it for laughs at the beginning of the season.

As far as Steven Tyler, his remarks and antics don't bother me. I think he's a nice change of pace from Simon Cowell. He keeps it interesting. But, yeah, enough of the boo hooing and advancing people on the show out of pity.

The bottom line for me is that I had a friend last year that remembered that I was a big Janis Joplin fan and I had to see this girl Crystal Bowersox. I was blown away. Now, that girl has talent, and she doesn't just sing Janis stuff. People made fun of her get-up at the beginning,but they did the same thing with Janis in the beginning. But, when they found out that Janis could belt out the blues like nobody's business, it was all over for the critics. I just hope that Crystal can keep her head on straight and not end a great thing early like Janis did.

February 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  53. jason

STEVEN TYLER HAS BROUGHT LIFE BACK TO THIS SHOW. CREEPING YOU OUT? LMFAO! ITS STVEN TYLER SO ITS FUNNY! YOU PPL NEED TO GET OVER YOURSELVES

February 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mushka

I totally agree. I had not watched Idol for over 6 years but I thought to give a chance because I like Steve, but together with JLO they are very amusing.

February 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Gaucho420

I watched five minutes of this show and I want an apology for those five minutes I will never get back. Steven Tyler sucks and hits on everyone, J-lo is way too nice and there is no bite, no edge to the show. Terrible television...thank god for the net and videogames.

February 2, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  55. GPW

Wow, didn't know this show was still on the air. Hey how old is Steven Tyler anyway? Did he tour with George Burns?

February 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  56. MARQUEE BLOG

U MAY HATE THE SHOW, BUT I CAN BARELY KEEP UP WITH ALL THE BLOGGS.

February 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Paco Cheevo

This show is garbage and you the american public are trash for watching it. Losers

February 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  58. CLE post

Sarah, you beat me to it!!

February 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jo

The picture looks like they are the cast from the Wizard of Oz! There's Dorothy....!

February 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Tommy B

The show is actually fun to watch. You can tell it's 3 people who love music now. Steven Tyler has me rolling and I like Jennifer Lopez. Wonder why people who hate the show are obsessed about reading about it and commenting. Also no need for apologies. The female contestants are doing their fair share of flirting with Tyler.

February 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dianne

You made a good point about the naysayers of American Idol. The nasty comments against American Idol seem to indicate that these same 'haters' are watching the show this year and years gone by..

If you hate it so much, do not watch it... there is plenty of garbage for you naysayers to watch.

I did not watch it in years gone past due to Simon and an appearance of it being staged. I also never commented my displeasure....it was my choice.

I am so glad many of you are enjoying Steven and Jennifer..... Had American Idol tried to keep it with similar judges in the past, then the show would have gone stale. But to say it is a bad show, no...just a matter of taste.

February 5, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  61. JayJay

I love the show more now than EVER! Steven Tyler is one of the reasons I'm still watching. People seem to be okay with Simon's rude and unnecessary hurtful comments but not okay with Tyler's "sweet emotion"......? Get over it!!!

February 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  62. A REAL SINGER

IDOL WHAT???? AND WHERE IS THE WINNER FROM LAST YEAR???? AND THE YEAR BEFORE THAT AND THAT?????

February 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • RustysRage

Let's see...Both Kris Allen and Lee Dewyze are both recording albums! Not, crushing the record sales department; but recording none the less, and thus thier dream has come true for them thanks to Idol!

February 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  63. portalpunk

"It's too late to apologize, it's too late"

Don't you have 'dumb chills' right now.

February 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  64. B=Dog

Ok first of all for those who can't tell... most of Steven's "Offensive" looks are edited in out of context, it's pretty obvious if you pay attention.

As for the emotional stories... can we get real ones?? A couple weeks back was this chick who got knocked up at 16 and the baby was born with a hearing problem, so they got the kid a hearing aid and everything is fine. So what's the problem?? How is a hearing aid a *sniff.... cry* "A special needs child" .... and as for last weeks episode why did they all start hugging and kissing the wife of the guy who really didn't sing all that well??

February 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • tori

dont be so rude i mean they are just telling thier storys to the world and what this mean if they become the next idol so put an sock in it :)

February 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Outlander

How about apologizing for the major photo-shopped picture attached to this article! People get wrinkles as they age! I wish "Hollywood" would stop pretending it's still in it's 20's and let people grow old gracefully without the pressure to look young. Some people actually look better as they age. And when you see the age on someone's face, that means they have lived.

February 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  66. John

the show should apologize for existing!!!! since its pilot episode the music industry has drastically fallen off. the early 2000's were the end of music that actually meant something.

February 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Nathan

Why do people still even give this show any sort of credibility? The "fever" generated for each of the contestants is so contrived; it's like professional wrestling.

February 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Troy from S'port

They only need to apologize for still being on the air.

February 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mb2010a

Totally Agree 100%. This silly show should go the way of the dodo...

February 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ksoze

Oh, because of the silly little rhyme where he used the F word? They bleeped it out. No harm, no foul.

February 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  69. RTFA

From Ryan Seacrest's website:
    “There’s a black card that starts the show tonight,” Ryan explained of the episode featuring auditions in Austin, TX. “It starts with, ‘American Idol would like to apologize for last week’s outrageous behavior by Steven Tyler…’”

February 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  70. mike

Steve Tyler is SO FUNNY! I love the new show.

February 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • beth

I love the new show. I love love love Tyler and Lopez has been great as well. Apologize for what. I don't get it. The show is great and the world has to stop being so sensitive.

February 3, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  71. sarah

LOL, the picture at the top reminded me of the Wizard of Oz....

February 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • CLE post

Steven as the Lion, Ryan as the Scarecrow, Randy as the Tin Man, and obviously J Lo as Dorothy. We just need Simon as The Wizard and Paula as the Wicked Witch.

February 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Kevin

OMG – finally Idol is worth watching again and now they have to apologize? Are you kidding? I got to a point 3 or 4 seasons ago where Simon and Paula and everyone else they put on there just got to be too much. I dont care to watch the predictable Simon and Paula with Paula drunk or whatever and Simon with his unnecessary below the belt comments. I also enjoy that there is far less time dedicated to the ridiculous auditons and more toward those you really want to root for. Personally I think Steven and Jennifer have re-invented the show and made it fun to watch again. As for the tearful stories and begging to get on – why not? Hell – people love a good tear jerker story – otherwise Extreme Home Makeover would have left the air a long time ago. Steven is a rocker – who could probably have any woman out there he wanted – dont be a hater because he can and most cant. Okay so maybe slightly creepy but a much improvment over the previous judges. Thank God – I can watch again.

February 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Johanna

Not sure what they are apologizing for. It's not Steven Tyler that's for sure! He makes the show! The best thing they ever did was get rid of sorry lame ho hum Simon. The show improved 1000000% percent with Simon gone!
    Every person I know had stopped watching. Now with awesome Steven Tyler they got a TON of new fans

February 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • dMac

So, that's why their ratings for the opening week were the lowest since the 1st year, huh?

February 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • LisaDane

I totally agree with you...AI need new ingredients n flavors ..or else we gonna end up taking the same veges everyday.......Steve n JLo has added it!

February 2, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dianne

I am one of the new fans. Although the talent can be wonderful, I did not like Simon as a judge. He was too cruel and overlooked some raw talent such as Susan Boyle, hence I never watched until the end of the season.

This year I am watching...but then I enjoy Steven Tyler in concert and now on tv. One of the problems I had with this show in the past was justifying why a judge was a judge. Steven and Jennifer are performers and they really pay attention... and if it is staged, someone forgot to clue Tyler in, lol. He is so himself. I love it!

Someone said that talent is ageless...and I agree. If a 15 year old can compete and do well, why not? The only objection might be the maturity level and again, that is not necessarily an age factor. I thought the young lady (week 2) whose family was invited to come out to meet the judges was amazing for being 15. She did not lack for poise, not at all and I doubt that Tyler offended her in the least. Tyler is a rock star...he cannot and I hope will not behave any other way. Bravo American Idol.... Tyler and Jennifer are great to watch.

February 4, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  74. hushupp

What in the world is skeevy? Never heard it before. Apologize, Marquee, for using trendy instead of classic journalistic language !

February 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

@hushupp, a skeevy is what's growin on your mammas azzzz

February 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

You've never heard Skeevy? Um, trendy, no. I don't know how old you are but it's been around for a forever.

February 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. hmmmmm

I haven't seen or heard anything that needs an apology . . . well, some of the bad singing that went through . . . Steven Tyler is adorable . . . Simon was great, but the panel wasn't necessary to repeat everything he said!

February 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Ashley

@idol wannabe

How about the 15 yr old singing "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay"? He was calm, cool, collected, a very mature young man, with a mature voice....

February 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  77. David

What does "American Idol" have to apologize about? How about continuing to give false hope to people. An Idol winner hasn't done anything, after winning, for several seasons. American Idol needs to go away!

February 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • K-Fig

Does Carrie Underwood ring any bells?? She is on the fast track to becoming a country legend... and I don't even like country music

February 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dyson

David said "several seasons" Carrie Underwood won Idol in 2005.

February 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • RustysRage

If you think about it, Took 5 seasons just to find someone with the talent of Carrie Underwood. So, stands to reason that it will take at least another 5 seasons to find another one that good. So, it appears Idol is due!

February 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Guess you missed the part where nearly every single idol CONTESTANT has cut an album, or goes on an Idol tour? The ones that don't succeed are the ones that don't even both to try.

February 4, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  78. sally

Idol should apologize for having creepy, repulsive Steven Tyler as a judge. I can't even watch it anymore because of
    his gross face. With Simon gone, the show is nothing and should just go away.

February 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Sue

I think I agree about the Steven Tyler one. He has creeped me out a few times and I basically like the guy. Young girls should not have to be verbally oggled by him – can't prevent him from looking but really does he have to share?

February 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gina BonBon

agreed 100%. even though i admit to finding him amusing, it's not appropriate for a family program. i'm a perv, too, but there's a time and a place for everything.

February 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Will

They should actually be apologizing for ever thinking that Idol could exist without Simon. As much as the producers do not want to admit, Simon WAS Idol. Not to mention that I'll never be able to look at Aerosmith the same way, again. (Stay true to the muse, Joe!)

February 2, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

I totally agree! This program is dead to me and appears on life support. I suggest pulling the plug!

February 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • tcp

NONSENSE...it's actually pretty good this year. The miserable failure of last year is done. These guys have reintroduced credibility to the panel. Last year there was a base player, a songwriter, a producer, and a COMEDIAN for goodness sake...Tyler and Lopez are doing great. Although he does kinda' creep me out like an old weird uncle sometimes lookin' at those teenage girls...

February 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I like how he (Tyler) tries to let the bad ones down easy instead of ripping them to shreds. Simon's act was funny at first but got old really quick.

February 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King really likes "Since you are apologizing American Idol"...

February 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  82. idol wannabe

They shouldn't lower the age, they should raise it to 18! Maturity in behavior and voice matters.

February 2, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Sasha

I believe it will probably be a contestant that is being incredibly offensive. And since Fox will not just omit that tibit of drama for the sake of not offending the viewer...that would be my bet.

February 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  84. JR

The show was dying......I think I still hear a heartbeat. Was their anything else Simon could do or say? We get rid of Randy and i think we might have something.

February 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark in nyc

i am beyond over randy, his failed attempts at trying to be youthful and his irrelevant commentary. go away, dawg.

February 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmacc77

....was dying? i hope the show signed a DNR order.

February 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |