'Parenthood': Think twice before eating that candy
February 2nd, 2011

'Parenthood': Think twice before eating that candy

I'm starting to think that a few of the Bravermans need to get their ears checked.  Was it just me, or did some of the family members seemingly forget how to listen during last night's episode?

Let’s start with Zeek wanting to take Max on a fishing trip. I think any kid with Zeek on a camping trip would be a problem, but Zeek with Max? Definitely problematic.

Crosby tries to warn him, but Zeek is convinced Max will have no problem on the traditional Braverman manly hunter-gatherer camping trip. Grandpa Zeek is well-intentioned but not well-versed on Max’s Asperger’s, despite the handbook Kristina prepares for him. But men like Zeek don't read instruction manuals. He realizes he really doesn't understand what Adam and Kristina have been going through when Max has a meltdown.

Meanwhile, Julia is throwing Jasmine a bachelorette party, complete with embossed, scented invitations. Jasmine thinks it's sweet, but a bit over the top. Crosby informs her that the party is really all about Julia. He’s not sure why, but he is right. Julia is making the appetizers from scratch and planning games days in advance, because she believes no one thinks it’s fun at her house. I can’t imagine where she’d get that idea. How are you Type A about a bachelorette party?

Inappropriate Sarah is trying to hit up her brother for a raise just weeks after the layoffs.  Adam says he can’t do it and that it's not the right time, especially with the new boss he calls “Boy Blunder” in the mix. So she goes to Boy Blunder - who also tells her it’s not the right time.

He then goes on some tangent about how she should do what she wants and maybe what she wants isn’t there. And what do you know: Sarah decides to quit. This woman needs to win the lottery so she doesn’t have to work. It seems like Sarah’s never learned how to deal with, well, anything. I suppose it could have been worse…she could have asked him out.

And honestly, it’s a good thing she didn’t. Boy Blunder is too high at all times to deal with. He called Adam into the office on a Saturday to share his “vision” for the company, and hands Adam a lollipop. Adam doesn’t realize how much pop that lolly has until he gets to Crosby’s place. Crosby notices his brother is high on the candy, which is medicinal marijuana. What kind of boss hands out drugs in the office during a planning meeting?

Crosby and Joel take Adam to the girls’ party, where everyone has a good laugh about uptight Adam being high and incredibly hungry. They have one of those spontaneous Braverman dance parties. Sadly, being high does not help Adam's dancing.

Adam and Kristina go to Camille & Zeek’s to talk to Haddie, who is still being a stubborn brat. Her parents say it’s time to go home, and she says, "you know my condition." The child has lost her mind. If you don’t pay the bills you don't get to have “conditions.”

Kristina is still acting like Camille is on Haddie’s side about the whole Alex issue. When Camille tries to offer her thoughts on the matter, Kristina stalks off. And she doesn’t get much sympathy from Adam. He’s having second thoughts because he realizes Alex is a good guy. Good or not, he's still 19 to Haddie's 16, and even if he'd had a perfect, alcohol-free childhood, the two of them dating isn't the best idea. I feel bad for Kristina, but it’s clear where Haddie gets the screechy irrationality from.

Underneath it all, she’s terrified of losing her daughter. Kristina finally tells Camille she feels like the only one who sees a disaster waiting to happen if they let Haddie see Alex.  She tells Adam later that she’s scared Haddie and Alex will end up like her parents.  Kristina’s mom ran off and got married when she was 16 and her dad made her mom miserable.

As for Haddie, it seems Amber may have gotten through to her a little bit. Amber finds it silly that Haddie won’t talk to her parents because of a guy who won’t talk to her. Haddie went to her parents to apologize for the things she said, but tells them she’s staying with her grandparents.

It's a good thing Haddie has somewhere safe to be while she's going through her teen nonsense. She is going to have to get over it. Alex may be a good guy with good intentions but Kristina is probably right. Does anyone think there's a chance that teen romance can work?

Post by:
Filed under: Parenthood • television • TV recaps

1. vicki

Erin - I agree whole-heartedly with everything you've said...regarding both the review of the episode as well as the wonder of the show itself. I love it!

February 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jen

I like Parenthood it is really family interactions. No one is perfect. My son has austim. I love the fact that "Max" is not glazed over.

Every parent is differnt. I would let my 16 date the 19 year old but there would be rules and if the rules are broken there would punishment. Adam and Kristina need to understand that she is 16 and can think for herself.

I enjoy the show and hope that it keep being real

February 3, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. floor

Wooooooo ! The original Parenthood movie with my hero Steve Martin was INCREDIBLE ! A genuinely nice and cute movie. I will have to try this series ! Thanks !

February 3, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Victor

Don't get your hopes up.
      This show is definitely not the movie.
      The movie was waaaayyyyy better.

February 3, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Erin

This show is WAY better than the movie. The movie was cute, but this is so real with great actors and believable characters.

February 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Oh Brother

This show is just another bigSHYTpile.

February 3, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Victor

I'm sorry, I've tried watching this show a few times, but it just can't hold my interest. Modern Family is way better. Heck, even the movie this how is based on was better!

February 3, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kary

I don´t really see any problem with Sarah quiting. She needs money and since she didn´t get any raise she quitted so she could have more shifts in the bar and thus more money. There was no point to stay in the low pay intership when they told her they don´t see any changes for her in the near future.

February 3, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Erin

Yes Smokey, I was being facetious. This review, didn't really review, but rather simply over-detailed the show. It ruins it for people who haven't seen this episode while not providing any insightful examinations of this wonderful episode.
    And yes Jenny, Crosby's a stoner and of course he finished Nate's lollipop.

February 3, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

Is your first thought after you missed an episode to browse the TV Recaps section of the Marquee Blog? You're being awfuly pretentious over this cliff notes-esque article, considering how much of a moron you must be.

February 3, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Erin

No, I did not miss this episode (but have missed others in the past and was happy to see them available on nbc.com). I read Marquee hoping to find a review that portrayed how funny and beautiful this episode was. Instead I read a play-by-play. Who wants to read that? What's moronic for pointing this out?

February 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jenny

Did anyone else notice that Crosby pulled out the orange (edible) sucker and pops it in his mouth in the last scene with Jasmine? What in the heck???

February 2, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ellen Melchiondo

Yeah, too much info for those who didn't see the show...what was the question anyway? I love the show! I see myself in every character even though I am 46 years old. Teen love needs to run it's course.

February 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rachel

You're being too dismissive of Hadie and Alex. Alex has been portrayed to have a lot of integrity, and Kristina and Adam both objectively admit that they respect his decisions.

I just keep thinking.. Hadie could be dating 16 year olds who would be a lot worse for her than Alex is. Then again his alcoholism hasn't reared its ugly head yet.

February 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Erin

Hey Camille Wright Felton – why don't you post a play-by-play of the entire episode and ruin it for those who missed it and may still catch it on NBC's website that plays full versions of all episodes? And while giving us the details of the show, don't bother to analyze it with your commentary about how wonderful this episode was, or the series at all.
    Sorry, I really feel you didn't give this amazing episode or series any credit. Just a Cliff Notes version. Boo.

February 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smokey

Are you upset because the reporter gave a thorough recap on what happened during last night's episode, or that she wasn't through enough? In the first paragraph, she questions whether some characters on last night's episode has a hard time listening, which should clue anyone who hadn't seen the episode yet that she would be discussing it. While it may not be the wonderous recap you were expecting, I thought the reporter did a good job in giving us the jist of what happened in each storyline.

February 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smokey

*thorough enough*

February 2, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King really likes "Parenthood: Think Twice Before Eating That Candy"...

February 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |