Tobey Maguire: New 'Spider-Man' suit looks cool
January 26th, 2011

Tobey Maguire: New 'Spider-Man' suit looks cool

While comic book fans continue to critique the revamped red-and-blue costume Andrew Garfield wears in the upcoming "Spider-Man" reboot, Tobey Maguire has already given the sleek suit his seal of approval.

"I thought it looked cool," 35-year-old Maguire, who played the web-slinging superhero in three earlier movies, tells MTV of Garfield's scalier, edgier outfit. "I mean, I think they did a great job with the design of it, and I'm excited to see it in action."

Such praise means a lot to Garfield, who received a congratulatory message from Maguire after landing the role of Peter Parker.

"He sent me a lovely message through a mutual friend," says 27-year-old Garfield, who is currently filming "Spider-Man," set for a July 2012 release. "He gave me his support, and it meant a great deal, of course, because part of the reason I love and have continued to love this character was because of his portrayal. To step into those shoes is no mean feat."

Adds Garfield, "It was generous of him to reach out and say something, so I'm thankful."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Spider-Man

1. Mathlol1

RIght, so the new suit looks alright but there are two problems.
    1. Weird nike running type boots. Whats up with the crazy design.
    2. Garfield has an elliptical head with a high occiput. Its not an oval, but disproportional to the skinny body like an alien. Did they even ask him to gain some muscle or anything for the movie?

February 4, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. FudgeCity

Toby wants a new spidey suit so he can wear it and go incognito out in the pasture while S*CKIN on bigHard HORSE C*CK. WorthlessMotherPHUCKER!!

February 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Oh no

Toby wants a hole cut in the rear-end of the Spidey Suit so Spideys arch enemys can make sweet MANbuttLOVE to him...FA GG OT!!!

February 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MaxFromNY

do we really need another spiderman movie?

February 1, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. doubt

I'm not thrilled about andrew garfield being spiderman.

January 29, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kevin Preston

BTW, what Anime idiot came up with this stupid costume? Now that I have seen it all over the web and in full view it looks like an updated version of Ultraman. There are reasons why they created the Sci-Fy Channel and basic cable so they can cater to these idiots with creative, teenager idea's but it's NOT for professional mainstream Hollywood.
    Star Trek reboot was successful because it looked realistic. Spiderman looked good because it looked realistic, explaining the webbing comming from Tobey's wrist instead of an impossible creation from some teenager. Yes, I know the whole thing was impossible but still.

Did you notice how the OTHER superhero movies never caught on? Just because you can create good animation on a PC that doesn't mean squat. Story and realism is what sells today and that's why the Dark Knight sells even when they do impossible stuff. Everyone roots for Batman even when he destroy's civilian and police cars by running them over with a tank. They laughed when the Joker blew up a hospital because somehow terrorism was funny.

Either way, Ironman barely made it and the first Hulk sucked. Daredevil hasn't come up with a sequel and it barely sucked. The Fantastic Four, where's their 3rd movie? IT SUCKED! Stop making these tax write off's Hollywood.
    If you must then make them realistic enough to pass and make the sequels better....not crap.

January 27, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kevin Preston

To all you loving Toby bashers, he's married and has a kid...Then again so is Tom Cruise and John Travolta so you make up your mind. Either way, the new suit looks horrible to me, I think that they nailed it in Spiderman 2. Although the black-suit looks great, they should have gone with an updated alien suit from the COMICS!!!! Not graphic novel!

January 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. pooh-duke

U all dont have nuthin nice to say. If u dont like Toby or spiderman then dont watch or listen to it. Hollywood keeps remaking old movies cause they cant think up anymore ideas, all the good ones have already been made. Now they are coming out with a NEW True Grit.......YOU CANT REMAKE THE DUKE.........

January 27, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. poet52

I have not seen suit yet.I hope its tieter this time,I lov tight on a young dud.it makes me teingle?

January 27, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. scientist J

I heard or read somewhere him and Justin Beiber are an item. All i can say is good for them. As long as they are happy who cares.

January 26, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mister desk

his parents are happy too. his dad was a fudge packer back in the day. that is how toby got his start.

January 26, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mister desk

i was doing an internet search and found he joined the international fidge packers union in 2008. its good to know he will have a job when he grows out of this acting phase.

January 26, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Martinski57

@MrDesk.. what's tingling is in your ass. And I'm sure Toby is laughing at your comment all the way to the bank. As for herman, Lemon, and ElJeffe,..you are all idiots who seem to have nothing better to do with your time than make rude comments. I bet none of you make the money he does, or even close. So I suggest you all eat the fudge. LOL

January 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mister desk

my spidey senses are just a tingling

January 26, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dave

Lip service. (Paid endorsement???) I was a huge fan of Spidey comics growing up, and haven't liked any of them. The re-boot (Hollywood speak for:"out of ideas") doesn't look any better. I'm not just a grumpy old guy, I thought Iron Man rocked.

January 26, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. junebug

Spiderman should b more manly, didnt like movies at all

January 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

You are so...ugh. Spiderman was never a "manly" superhero. What made him awesome and so famous was that he was just another teenager, he was a scrawny nerd with brains that had NO clue about girls or anything important to a teen. Part of his charm is his appearance and I am looking forward to this movie and I bet you are, too. Heck, that's why you're here.

January 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Peter Parker is supposed to be a geeky high school kid (per Stan Lee......the guy who created it).
      And considering all 3 movie collectively made about $1 Billion dollars....I can see why you don't work as a casting director in Hollywood.

January 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. LemonOhs

He looks older than he did in the first Spider-Man movie.

January 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that that's probably because the first movie came out 9 years ago. Unless Toby McGuire ages in reverse or something.

January 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. a

HATTTERRSSSSSS

January 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mister desk

didnt toby use to work at the fudge factory

January 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. El Jefe

The new suit has a much larger cod piece that allows spiderman to get a spider chubby. Or so I've heard...

January 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. herman

How does he know what is cool. I heard he is dating Justin Bieber.

January 26, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |