January 25th, 2011

83rd annual Academy Awards: List of nominees

Best picture

• "Black Swan"
  • "The Fighter"
  • "Inception"
  • "The Kids Are All Right"
  • "The King’s Speech"
  • "127 Hours"
  • "The Social Network"
  • "Toy Story 3"
  • "True Grit"
  • "Winter’s Bone"

Actor

• Javier Bardem, "Biutiful"
  • Jeff Bridges, "True Grit"
  • Jesse Eisenberg, "The Social Network"
  • Colin Firth, "The King's Speech"
  • James Franco, "127 Hours"

Actress

• Annette Bening, "The Kids Are All Right"
  • Nicole Kidman, "Rabbit Hole"
  • Jennifer Lawrence, "Winter's Bone"
  • Natalie Portman, "Black Swan"
  • Michelle Williams, "Blue Valentine"

Supporting actor

• Christian Bale, "The Fighter"
  • John Hawkes, "Winter's Bone"
  • Jeremy Renner, "The Town"
  • Mark Ruffalo, "The Kids Are All Right"
  • Geoffrey Rush, "The King's Speech"

Supporting actress

• Amy Adams, "The Fighter"
  • Helena Bonham Carter, "The King's Speech"
  • Melissa Leo, "The Fighter"
  • Hailee Steinfeld, "True Grit"
  • Jacki Weaver, "Animal Kingdom"

Director

• Darren Aronofsky, "Black Swan"
  • David O. Russell, "The Fighter"
  • Tom Hooper, "The King's Speech"
  • David Fincher, "The Social Network"
  • Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "True Grit"

Animated feature

• "How to Train Your Dragon"
  • "The Illusionist"
  • "Toy Story 3"

Adapted screenplay

• "127 Hours"
  • "The Social Network"
  • "Toy Story 3"
  • "True Grit"
  • "Winter’s Bone"

Original screenplay

• "Another Year"
  • "The Fighter"
  • "Inception"
  • "The Kids Are All Right"
  • "The King’s Speech"

Foreign language film

• "Biutiful"
  • "Dogtooth"
  • "In a Better world"
  • "Incendies"
  • "Outside the Law"

Art direction

• "Alice in Wonderland"
  • "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I"
  • "Inception"

• "Alice in Wonderland"
  • "I Am Love"
  • "The King's Speech"
  • "The Tempest"
  • "True Grit"

Documentary feature

• "Exit Through the Gift Shop"
  • "Gasland"
  • "Inside Job"
  • "Restrepo"
  • "Waste Land"

Documentary short

• "Killing in the Name"
  • "Poster Girl"
  • "Strangers No More"
  • "Sun Come Up"
  • "The Warriors of Qiugang"

Film editing

• “Inception”
  • “The King's Speech”
  • “Salt”
  • “The Social Network”
  • “True Grit”

Original score

• “How to Train Your Dragon”
  • “Inception”
  • “The King's Speech”
  • “127 Hours”
  • “The Social Network”

Visual effects

• “Alice in Wonderland”
  • “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”
  • “Hereafter”
  • “Inception”
  • “Iron Man 2”

Original song

• “Coming Home” from “Country Strong”
  • “I See the Light” from “Tangled”
  • “If I Rise” from “127 Hours”
  • “We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3"

Sound editing

• "Inception"
  • "Toy Story 3"
  • "Tron: Legacy"
  • "True Grit"
  • "Unstoppable"

Animated short film

• "Day & Night"
  • "The Gruffalo"
  • "Let's Pollute"
  • "The Lost Thing"
  • "Madagascar, carnet de voyage" ("Madagascar, a Journey Diary")

Live action short film

• "The Confession"
  • "The Crush"
  • "God of Love"
  • "Na Wewe"
  • "Wish 143"

Filed under: Awards Season • movies • Oscars 2011

« Previous entry
  1. perut buncit

This article presents clear idea in support of the new people of blogging, that really how to do running a blog.

October 6, 2013 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sejour golf Agadir Maroc

Hello There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is a very smartly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I'll certainly comeback.

August 26, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. layers in Spain

Wow, fantastic weblog structure! How long have you ever been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The full look of your site is great, as smartly as the content material!

April 16, 2012 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sulejów

You realize therefore considerably in relation to this subject, produced me personally consider it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be involved except it's something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your individual stuffs great. Always handle it up!

April 8, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tryecrot

August 28, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. MB

The panel who picks the movies are a bunch of old men! they need to add more diversity, alot of movies that were great in 2010 were not even picked, I dont understand how Leonardo Dicaprio and that supporting cast wasnt nominated for inception. or Shutter Island, not to mention unthinkable, the town, ip man 2, kickass, harry potter.

February 28, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Marilyn

This was a great year for movies. Many of us movie lovers have small or large oscar night parties. (Just like the superbowl lovers). If you have a Rembrandt, Picasso, Manet, Monet, and Rothko all in the same room, which is better? I can cheer for any winner this year, despite my own personal preferences which don't really matter. I've seen most of the movies and will see the rest when they are on videos. Enjoy, folks.

February 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mikeo

Why don't we have a category for "Best maintained studio toilet"? It seems every other union-driven category has gotten recognition. Best Sound Editing? Best Sound Mixing? Best Makeup? Give me a break! How about "Best Best Boy"? Hollywood is hell bent on shooting itself in the heart and these oscar cagegories are a wonderful first step.

February 26, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. Todd

Why wasn't Star Wars Episode 1 "A New Hope" nominated for anything?

February 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dave Loman

Inception! Inception is the only good movie in the running! Why does everyone love black swan so much?
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGkssyHieR4&w=640&h=390]

February 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. wes

Where is Law Abiding Citizen. that was a great movie

February 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nado

i wanna see an egyptian movie among the foreign nominees someday...:)

February 22, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Laura

Keeping my fingers crossed for Jeremy Renner....he was outstanding in The Town....being born and raised in MA..he had the accent down perfectly!

February 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Poem

Kimberly Elise from "Colored Girls" was not nominated? Well, there it is? This will be my first year missing the oscars. I won't watch it this year because there is nothing for me to root for. Maybe they will get a clue next year?

January 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. muslim987

I think that Dwayne Jonson is a good actor because he has stared in so many movies and he also plays a good actor in The Tooth Fairy and it was funny because when he had his powers in the ice skating rink he had tripped a guy and the guy was confused because he didn't know what happened but I think that Rocky Balboa is a good actor because he had stared in Rambo and he was such a good actor congrats to the nominees !

January 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. muslim987

I think that Dwayne Jonson is a good actor because he has stared in so many movies and he also plays a good actor in The Tooth Fairy and it was funny because when he had his powers in the ice skating rink he had tripped a guy and the guy was confused because he didn't know what happened!

January 30, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dan P

this year's Oscars are going to be great! There are so many great match ups and actors going head to head that all deserve a win. The foreign film section is very intriguing this year. Reminds me of last year's White Wedding, the official submission from South Africa! http://bit.ly/at8fnc

January 27, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. April

I have only seen half of the movies nominated. I still need to see The Fighter, The King's Speech and Social Network, but I loved Inception and Black Swan!

January 26, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. Dodik Setiawan Nur Heriyanto

wow... congratulations... i hope this year more better...

January 26, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • DIGITAL DAN

I HEAR THEY ARE ALL AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD ON THE PIRATEBAY.ORG

February 15, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  20. MovieMaven

Loved, loved, loved The King's Speech. Way better than Social Network and Inception. I need to see Black Swan and the Fighter still but I don't know if they'll be as Oscar worthy. Colin Firth was absolutely incredible as the king and deserves the award for best actor hands down. I hope the Academy gets it right this year.

January 26, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  21. BigXB

Winter's Bone is cliched garbage that looked like a first year film student absorbded every nuanced stereotype ( I am aware of the contradiction) he learned from his ACADEMY101 class and regurgitated them with a side of "it's poor white trash so it has to be good", mixed in a few recognizable actors (that do not perform to their previous 'Deadwood' calibers), added a whole lot of ambient sound, and tried to turn what would otherwise be an excellent PART of a movie into a feature length production. All in all, this was a very poor showing with the cinematography being the best part of the movie, but even cameramen and editors unfortunately do not get to pick the subject matter being heft upon their precious celluloid. Yes I saw the movie, and I reccomend you do too, if for no other reason than to see exactly how not to make cliched doo-doo. ...sorry about the double post.

January 26, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  22. kathy

I have no respect for the "awards". They lost it a long time ago by going all out for a film or two and ignoring some wonderful films and/or performances. But if they have a favorite – they love British – or a rotten TG – well, they'll push it allright!
    Wow, would I love to go back when films didn't need nudity in everything – and had a STORY and characters a person cares about...

January 26, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  23. Bald-headed Fool

with no major motion pictures or big name/charismatic nominees, this will certainly be the most BORING academy awards ever!!! Also, will it be the whitest?

January 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. art vandoly

What, no Angelina nomination for her superb acting in The Tourist? This is an OUTRAGE and a sham! :) -Art

January 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kipstar

The girl from True Grit got the spot that should have gone to Julianne Moore, and Ryan Gosling was just plain robbed. Jesse Eisenberg did his usual one-note, intense/pouty nerd shctick in the most over-rated movie of the year. The only thing good about The Social Network was Andrew Garfield's performance.

January 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  26. movie fan

Hope True Grit wins it all excelent remake with a twist.

January 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Chris

The King's Speech is the best movie I have seen in the last couple of years. Firth and Rush were fantasitc!

January 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ARE YOU SERIOUS???????

TRUE GRIT BEST PICTURE ARE YOU SERIOUS??? THIS MOVIE WAS SO BORING THAT ALMOST EVERYONE FELL ASLEEP IN THE MOVIE THEATRE, NOT TO MENTION THE ANNOYING VOICES FROM THE ACTORS. NATALIE PORTMAN WAS A TRUE HIT IN THE BLACK SWAN AND THE MOVIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED FOR BEST MAKE UP AND CUSTOME, THEY WERE ROBBED... I HOPE THEY WIN FOR BEST PICTURE!!!

January 25, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. J

Bets:

Best Picture: The King's Speech
    Best Actor: Colin Firth
    Best Actress: Natalie Portman
    Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale
    Best Supporting Actress: Hailee Steinfeld

Predictions:
    Best Picture: The Social Network
    Best Actor: Colin Firth
    Best Actress: Natalie Portman
    Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale
    Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo

It will be a shame if Colin Firth doesn't get an Oscar for his performance in The King's Speech. He was amazing. Natalie Portman was brilliant in The Black Swan, if I can see anyone upset her, it'll be Anette Bening. I'm hoping The King's Speech will surprise us with an upset coz The Social Network is a favorite right now.

January 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Quiet on the set

Most of these movies are a waste of time. Rent the DVD of "Oscar does Lindsay Lohan" ..what plot..what a movie.

January 25, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  31. joeriel

Out of curiosity, why is Toy Story 3 considered an adapted screenplay?

Are all sequels considered adapted?

January 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beau

Just did a little research on this. It seems that if the movie "story" was written prior to the actual screenplay then it is considered an adaption. This is my understanding from checking out the writing credits for film on IMDB. All of the "original screenplays" were writing as screenplays first. Although I noticed an exception was the "The King's Speech had writing credits for a story as well, despite being in the "original" section. So to tell you the truth I'm not sure what the difference is since both TS3 and King's Speech both had "story" writing credits. Perhaps it is because it's a sequel, but I wouldn't think that would disqualify it as "original". Confused.....

January 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ethanchellan

Inception all the WAY !

January 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beau

I'm a big Nolan fan and Momento is one of my all time favorite movies. Although I thought the concept and visual style of Inception were excellent, it was not an excellent film. I'm not saying it was a bad film, but it certainly did not live up to my expectations and I'm not even sure it belongs on the list for Best Picture. It was entertaining and mostly fun to watch, but is not a Best Picture nomination in my opinion. Best Screenplay and Cinematography nods are deserved.

January 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sean

I'm really happy Hailee Steinfeld was nominated. She's incredible in True Grit., but she's more of a Lead Actress than a Supporting Actress. Is it because she's a child? Probably.

January 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Peacsktr

I a true Movie Buff have seen every one of these movies they were all amzing and well deserved. As a true movie aficionado I must say Good Luck.

Also I agree with the comentator about the last airbender not being nominated.

January 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jenny Rome Ga

I cried and cried at the end of Toy Story 3. One son is in college and another graudating highschool and man it hit hard.

January 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Amanda

Why weren't Johnny depp or Leonardo DiCaprio nominated for their amazing performances? Disappointed.

January 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Thinkers

Good to see a "thinkers" movie like The Social Network get so much attention. Movies that depend on language and the characters are rare. This year had some good ones. Colin Firth will win probably, but Jesse Eisenberg definitely deserves the attention no matter how young or new he is.

January 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. trumod

"Waiting for Superman" didn't get a nod? Tis passing strange. I think we'll see Toy Story 3 get best animated to honor the series (1 and 2 were released prior to the creation of the category). However, I'm rooting for "How to Train Your Dragon." That film has me laughing and crying every time I see it.

January 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Manuel

So..... Where is wikileaks??

January 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Daniel

I'm most excited about the screenplay nominations. I think Sorkin has a lock on Best Adapted. My bet is The King's Speech for best original screenplay. I found all the screenplay nominations here http://www.simplyscripts.com/2011/01/25/oscar-nominated-screenplays/ except for True Grit and The Fighter. Anyone seen them online?

January 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Cheryl

Why bother? They just used the same list as the Golden Globes. Jeesh!

January 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Daniel

Biggest oversight of the year: Chloë Grace Moretz for her roles as Hit Girl in "Kick-Ass" and Abby in "Let Me In." Amazing breakout performances.

January 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  43. What???

There HAS to be a very good reason why "Waiting for Superman" wasn't nominated. -_________________-

January 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jesse Eisenberg ???????

How Ryan Gosling could be passed over by the likes of that forgetabble Jesse Eisenberg is absolutely beyond me, but then again, the oscars should wait to give out awards ten years after the films come out. Too many undeserving films get noms or wins, but do not stand up to the test of time.

January 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Arach

'If I rise' from movie 127 hours is an awesome song.

January 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Kristina

Really...Cher's amazing song from Burlesque wasn't nominated? Wow...surprising. That song moved me to tears.

January 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  47. NobodySpecial

All I see is a sea of white faces. I don't see virtually any minorities – maybe barely one or two. Hollywood is "white-washed" and it's a tragedy. You would think that Hollywood would be better than this, what with getting Obama as President – but, nope, just a sea of white faces. No African Americans, Asians, etc. Shame on you, Hollywood, for just doing it for the buck and not representing minorities.

January 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. JP

Guess they will have to get Rosie O'Donnell, Kathy Bates to play her role in Precious the remake. They are assured a nomination.

January 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  49. tom

Totally think Mark Wahlburg and Mila Kunis were robbed.

January 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Diana

MONIQUE LOOK FANTASTIC!!!!!!

January 25, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jean

I was expecting at least either makeup or costume nominations for Black Swan... How odd that it's not in either category!

January 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Brandy

Good Luck to all the nominees! So relieved that Johnny Depp is not up for best actor in TWO movies this time like he was at the Golden Globes.....wth. Good Luck to Jeremy Renner!

January 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  53. stacie

how was andrew garfield not nominated for best supporting actor – he was phenomenal in the social network. sad! i thought for sure the academy would have given him a nod...

January 25, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  54. burp mcgavin

I think that it is an absolute joke how many nominations the social network got...pathetic movie! Black Swan was pure genius!! Sheep just follow sheep, can't believe it cleaned up at the golden globes. Maybe there will be justice at the Oscars!

January 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Don

Beau – technically, the actors that make the nominations can nominate any role as either lead or supporting, and if a role would qualify for both categories, the category where it was nominated by the most people would be used. (This is different from the Emmys, where the nominee decides whether it is a leading or supporting role.)

January 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beau

ok Don, well then I don't understand why the actors (and it's not just actors who make up the academy) would consider it a supporting role. It is very obviously a lead role. At least if not more than J. Bridges' was a "lead role"

January 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Beau

Jax: Although I couldn't agree more with you on Winter's Bone, I think you're being a little hard on True Grit. I haven't seen the original but have heard from people who have that they are quite different. Yes, it is a REMAKE, but it's not a shot for shot, line for line remake. The Coen bros. deserve some credit. With the last sentence in your post you, in a sense, make the argument that any film based on a book (which even the original film was) doesn't deserve any credit for anything. I disagree.

January 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jax

I meant, only if the film has already been made into a movie, it shouldn't be eligible for best picture. The original movie from 1969 was a retelling of the book visually and that's fine. Many of our greatest movies were books, plays, graphic novels first, But if it's already been a film, it should not be eligible for best picture because it's been done already in this art form. It's a creative cop-out. Especially from someone as creative as the Coen brothers. That makes it even more disapointing...

January 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beau

Well Jax, I respect your opinion and you have every right to it. I respectfully disagree saying that if the film is a remake or not it deserves the same chance at awards as all films do. If it's good, it's good, no matter how much of it is copied or not. Especially if the new film is better than the original, which seems to be the consensus in this case.

Did "Respect" by Aretha Franklin not deserve the two Grammys it won her because it was originally recorded by Otis Redding? I think not

January 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Judy

I haven't seen many of these (but plan to) but we did see Winter's Bone and it was hard to believe that they were acting. Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely amazing. If you are sick of car chases, explosions, vampires, herky-jerky camera movement and the typical Hollywood unrealistic nonsense with beautiful, plastic people, this movie is for you. I now live in rural Alabama, and I swear some of those people are my neighbors :)

January 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chip F

I agree - the film is very realistic with excellent performances, and many of the players have limited or no previous acting experience. It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see Jennifer Lawrence win. (PS - I also live in a rural area, but fortunately didn't recognize any of my neighbors in the film LOL)

January 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. A

If they're going to (AGAIN) double the number of Best Picture nominees, they should add a name to each of the four Best Acting Categories. Where's Mila Kunis? Or Ryan Gosling?

January 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  59. heycarrieann

Surprising that neither Mark Whalberg or Mila Kunis didn't get nominated. The actors that were nominated deserved it, but there are others that were left out that were just as deserving. If the academy can expand the best picture category, why not the acting categories?

January 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

It's like we were reading each others' minds. We both wrote the same sort of message at the same time.

January 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Lynn

I have only seen 2 of the 10 movies listed for Best Picture. 3 of the movies only showed here for 1 week. The other 5 haven't been shown where I live because the local theater caters to the 18-23 year old males at the military post here. Unless a movie is a moronic comedy or has things blowing up every 3 minutes, very few good movies are offered here. I would love to see Black Swan, The King's Speech and Winter's Bone. But I can't always travel 2 hours to a theater that shows movies for people who think.

January 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Binky One

Lynn: I live in a small town and we too do not get a lot of the movies that are not the mainstream kind........we have Netflix for that very reason; movies end up coming out on DVD pretty quickly now; I feel your pain!

January 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  61. JP

Good to see all the actors and actresses of color nominated this year. At least they dragged Mo'Nique out to help present the nominees. That was so transparent. Oh well, something of color was nominated, the Black Swan. The very best that movies have to offer. Really?

January 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jax

SO glad to see "Winter's Bone" get the recognition it deserves, especially the nods to both Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes for their amazing performances! If you haven't seen it, you should. It was the best movie of the year after Toy Story 3 and Inception.
    And if one more person says True Grit isn't a remake, I may punch them in the face. IT'S A REMAKE! It shouldn't even be allowed to be considered for a best picture oscar because they aren't responsible for any of the creativity of the story, characters and plot that make up the qualities of a best picture.

January 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krambo III

That is an incredibly stupid comment. So, any movie based on a book or real life isn't worthy of being best picture, because the people making the movie didn't come up with the story or characters? They're going to have to go back and change a lot of their choices for best picture.

Also, True Grit is NOT a remake. The book was made into a movie in the '60s, and now it was made into a movie in 2010. This movie had nothing to do with the old movie.

January 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chip F

Toy Story 3?

January 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jax

So you didn't like WInter's Bone, probably too real for you...
      BUT, True Grit is a remake, pure and simple. Same story, characters and plot as the 1969 movies. Same beginning, same ending. The 1969 version was the retelling of the book. THIS ONE IS A REMAKE! Just deal whiner...

January 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Beau

A gripe with the Academy:

How is Hailee Steinfeld's role a supporting one? I realize she is an "unknown", but I don't think anyone in the film had a bigger role or more screen time. Just doesn't make sense.

January 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Shane

Black Swan sucked big time......

January 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Beau

Linda D, Scoop and to all others it applies. While you may be right on some or most of the films, Winter's Bone is far from Hollywood crap, or trash. It is the best film on the list in my opinion, although it's so much of an indie that it probably won't win. Please don't just spew feces from your mouth without at least doing some research.

January 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Be Quiet

Firth, Portman and Bale will all win their categories, and the big upset of the night will be when Hailee Steinfeld beats Melissa Leo for Supporting Actress.

January 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • deb

I hope Melissa Leo wins over Hailey. Melissa nailed that part! Hailey was good but I don't think her part needed as much "acting" as Melissa's. Also, Hailey should have been nominated for Best Actress, not Supporting Actress.

January 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Seven

Best picture: Kings Speech
    Best Actor: Colin Firth
    Actress: Natalie Portman
    Sup Actor: Christian Bale
    Sup Actress: Melissa Leo

Seen them all I think these will be runaways.

January 25, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  68. Tim

Would have like to see The Town nominated for Best Picture. I'd have given it Winter Bone's spot – haven't seen the Fighter or 127 Days yet.

January 25, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  69. Terry

I'm shocked that Kunis was snubbed! Wasn't exactly rooting for Garfield though, so, he'll get over it.

January 25, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Daren Perlstein

Leaving Mila Kunis off was a bad mistake, but leaving Ryan Gosling off was even worse.

January 25, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  70. Brian

I like most of the nominees, but there are some glaring omissions. I think the worst snub of the year belongs to Andrew Garfield not being nominated for Supporting Actor. Also, Christopher Nolan should be nominated for Best Director, and Hailee Steinfeld is another glaring omission from the Supporting Actress category. Lots of people say that 2010 was a bad year for movies, but I think the overall mix is good this year. Black Swan, The Social Network, Inception, True Grit... I was hoping all of these films would be up for Best Picture. I have yet to see The King's Speech, but it's on my list of films to watch.

January 25, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Nevermind about Hailee Stanfield... I somehow overlooked her name when I read the list the first time.

January 25, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  71. SometimesElla

Gosling was robbed.

January 25, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  72. tsanda

no nomination for ryan gosling in blue valentine is nuts.

January 25, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Daren Perlstein

Leaving Ryan Gosling out as best actor was the BIGGEST MISTAKE the Academy has made in years!!!! Major Fail!!!!!! Not only should he have been nominated, he should have given Colin Firth a run for his money. Major disappointment.

January 25, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Grondahl

I think Gosling is still being punished for doing The Notebook. He's one of the great young actors of our time.

January 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Laura Lucas

I hope Jesse Eisenbergand and Mark Ruffalo got to win te Academy Award :) I really love their work. I also love the movie Inception, even though I think they are not going to win any award...

January 25, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  74. Freeman David

Its really cool

January 25, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  75. tiddle

Inception should be on the list for Editing.

January 25, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  76. Creekmud

Jennifer Lawrence will never win but her performance was riveting and so unbelievably raw and powerful for such a young actress. Wish I had a vote. The person who called Winter's Bone trash is puzzling and so far off base it's pretty much pathetic. The person could not have seen the film. It won't win either but glad it got nominated.

January 25, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jax

I agree. It was the best movie of the year after Toy Story 3 and Inception. Glad to see John Hawkes (Teardrop) was nominated for supporting actor. The acadamy got these nominations right!

January 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krambo III

No, I did see it. It's terrible. The only movie I hated more in 2010 was Jonah Hex, which I couldn't even make it through. And I have seen...17 movies from 2010, I think.

January 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigXB

January 26, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  77. mstwist

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo???

January 25, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  78. A_kar

Hav seen all the movies nom in best pic barring winter's bone...shld see it now.m also happy with most of d nom except wahlberg, kunis,garfield nd ghosling gettin left out in the acting category??now i jst hope social network wins d bst pic!!nd how come hallie is nom in supporting categry when she played d main role??

January 25, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  79. CanadaAnnie

The wonderful Colin Firth all the way absolutely for Best Actor. I really wish they would do away with a host – most are too long winded, so not funny and just boring. What is wrong with a voice simply announcing "And to present Best Actor (etc) Award please welcome ...." It would speed the Oscars along and maybe allow me to remain awake long enough to see which is the best movie!

January 25, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  80. tom in ca

Every year the Oscars get worse. I dont know who chooses these nominations but it sure isnt your average educated movie goer. As far as best picture Ive seen about half of em. More than half of the ones that ive seen were garbage. For the ones that I didnt see eve either never heard of them or you couldnt pay me to see them.

January 25, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Diane

II couldn't agree more. I think there ought to be a real awards show. Peopel should just be able to nominate who they liked and what movie they liked. Not like the peopl'es choice awards where thye give you 3 or 4 to vote on and you don't like any of them . A real awards show.I wonder how that would work.

January 25, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  81. Ellekor walle

Hope we see d best among this nominees.

January 25, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  82. Micheal Rankin

I am rooting for jesse eisenberg & collin firth all the way.

January 25, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  83. Gretel

All those outraged by The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo films getting snubbed, it's because they were 2009 releases. Early 2009, in the case of the first movie. Just because Americans decided to pay attention to them and remake them in 2010 doesn't make them 2010 films.

January 25, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  84. mapta

Kin's Speech certainly a great film – but for Costue Design? From someone who lived during those times – the clothes in the film do not depict well how the royal family dressed at the time – evne a detail like flute champagne glasses – they didn't have flutes then – they had the saucer like ( round small bowl on a stem) champagne glasses – someone should have researched this much better.......

January 25, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  85. PoohBear70

Congrats to all of the Nominees. However, I take exception to the fact that there absolutely NO African Americans nominated in just about every category at all this year. While I've seen all of these movies, and critics didn't like or care for the movie "For Colored Girls;" some of those women gave excellent performances and at least ONE of them should've been nominated even there was no chance of them winning! (i.e. Anika Nonee Rose, Thandie Newton, Kimberly Elise)

I'm white and don't agree with the academy's consistent dislike, disdain and faithfully leaving out minorities in which some who are very talented, gave raving performances. I'm especially disgusted that they've gone away from the greats hosting the festivities such as Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Whoopi Goldberg, etc. I won't be watching but do wish all the current Nominees luck in attaining their well-earned Oscar statuettes.

January 25, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  86. mglaze68

Just saw "For Colored Girls". It had some great performances. I dont know why it didn't get any Oscar nominations. Its a damn shame. Seems like there are certain years where the Academy throw Black movies a bone like "Precious" last year. But then they dare not show Black movies recognition 2 years in a row. This is why I dont get too caught up in all this awards stuff.

January 25, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • PoohBear70

Very true mglaze68 as per my post below. Its a travesty the academy continues to harbor true racism at its best when it comes to minorities in the entertainment genre. Its very sad indeed.

January 25, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Grondahl

Sorry, no dice on either of your arguments. Precious, in case you forgot, was gripping, painful, and a powerful experience, if a little uneven. It deserved every award it received or was nominated for. To toss a few nominations at For Colored Girls, a middling movie in every respect, would be throwing the proverbial bone, and that would be far more insulting than snubbing it for nominations it doesn't deserve.

January 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Perry

"The King's Speech" will take the acting awards and "The Social Network" will take the writing and techie awards (editing, etc.). "HArry Potter" series will be shut out again. Long Shot: 127 Hours for Score! Awesome!

January 25, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  88. lampshade

What happened to "waiting for superman" or was that last year?

January 25, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  89. Paul

An absolute crime that Barbara Hershey was snubbed.

January 25, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  90. Blumpkin

Day & Night is the clear choice for Animated Short.

January 25, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  91. mglaze68

Just saw "For Colored Girls". It had some great performances. I dont know why it didn't get any Oscar nominations. Its a damn shame. Seems like there are certain years where the Academy throw Black movies a bone like "Precious" last year. But then they dare not show Black movies recognition 2 years in a row. Like I said before, its a damn shame!

January 25, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  92. Mike in Montana

I have watch three films or movies that are up for the Academy Awards, 'The King's Speech, The Social Network and True Grit'. By far, 'The King's Speech' was better than the other two, when it comes to story line, acting, director and music score. My second choice is, 'True Grit' for acting and music score, and the young lady in the film was excellent. As for, 'The Social Network'.., I wish I never bought a ticket, acting was less than expected and then to find out, the movie was fictional or not true. I learned a lot about stuttering and acting in 'The King's Speech', as I have two friends that stutter or stammer. They also are going to watch the film. Best to everyone, good selection of films this year and guality. Mike in Montana

January 25, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  93. Tracy

The Social Network is soooo overrated. the hype has extended all the way to an oscar nomination.

January 25, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  94. Alicia

I am for Inception . That was the best movie last year overall.

January 25, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  95. John

If Jeff Bridges wins for best actor, will it be the first time that the same part (Rooster Cogburn in True Grit) would have been won by two different perople (John Wayne & Bridges)?

January 25, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  96. Smallmansion

Why do I not see the movie Skyline being nominated? It is clearly the best film in 2010. Great actors, plot, and visual effect. Not to mention the happy ending.

January 25, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  97. ayardgyal

Winters Bone was 1 of the best movies i saw this year. Jennifer Lawrence John Hawkes very good performance.

January 25, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  98. Brenda

Yay for Jeremy Renner!! He was fantastic in The Town.

January 25, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  99. Greebo

I can see it for art direstion, cinematography, SFX...etc., but Inception for best picture, seriously?? It must be the filler in the list.

January 25, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  100. Hairston

Hmmm, not one black actor in the bunch. Guess we need another Precious. Peace.

January 25, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  101. jpdoctor

Are you kidding me! I guess the "THE TOWN" doesn't fit the Oscar profile. A powerful, compelling, well told and acted film must not have a place in the Oscars this season. Oscars fade into oblivion...you have lost your focus.

January 25, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  102. sunsohot

I haven't been to a movie for a very long time (jobless) but there are several on the "Best Picture" list I will see when I can – among them: The Kid's are All Right, True Grit and The King's Speech. My hubby will want to see Inception and The Fighter. Good Luck to all those nominated!

January 25, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  103. lavaughn

what!!! nothing for "for colored girls" thandie newton rocked in that movie and so did phylicia rashaad. and how did the town not make the best pic list. what a shame!!!!

January 25, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  104. tiffany

I LOVE LOVE LOVE award show season!!

January 25, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  105. Pankaj Dutta

Awards Season, movies,
    Oscars 2011

January 25, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  106. Boompa

I don't get why Harry Potter didn't get more categories. What's up with that?!

January 25, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  107. which one

I haven't seen any of the nominated films up for best film. Any recommendations?

January 25, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • PoohBear70

I saw both True Grit & The King's Speech. Both were very awesome. Narrow it down to one of those for now and check one out.

January 25, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • MRS. ALAN SMITHEE

The snide answer is all of them :) but were I to pick just a few - Winter's Bone, The King's Speech and The Social Network.

January 25, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  108. Funky Chicken

And what happened to Paul Giamatti in Barney's Version?!?! Major snub.

January 25, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  109. Kim

Black swan was amazing to watch and I hope it wins best picture, though I haven't seen The Kings Speech yet. I also loved the Fighter and Inception. True Grit was good, but I was a tad disappointed. I am very happy with the movies this past year, I hope the trend continues.

January 25, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  110. Joe Mahma

Where is "Conviction"????

Where is "Animal Kingdom"????

January 25, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  111. Rosy

Some noms i concur with but some i dont... who the heck are some of these ppl... & they find it weird why alot of ppl dont tune in to the show????

January 25, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  112. Victoria in NC

Oh my Look @ Monique...Shes's not trying to be a Skinny B is she....LOL

January 25, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  113. KRG

I have actually seen 8 of the 10 films nominated for BEST PICTURE. If I was an Academy member, my vote would go to BLACK SWAN. It is a film that stays with you long after you have left the theater.

January 25, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  114. Martin

What about 'The Tourist'? It got Three Golden Globes. Was Gervais right?

January 25, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  115. Steve

The best film here is Toy Story 3.

January 25, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  116. Grondahl

I love the populist outrage that always accompanies the Oscar lists, and am proud that, for the most part, Oscar would rather recognize quality before box office gross. If you want undeserving "artists" to bask in your warm, accepting glow, then hold your horses and wait for the Grammys. I'm sure the Black Eyed Peas will add to their baffling haul again while you mindlessly jump up and down and squeal "I know that song from the radio!".

January 25, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  117. SMN

I can't believe "For Colored Girls" has not been nominated for any major award. That movie was one of the best I've seen in a long, long time. Kimberly Elise should be nominated for Best Actress. I left thinking she'd be a shoo-in for it – her performance was that good. I saw "Inception" and I thought it was good. Not BEST but good.

January 25, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  118. captok

Does anybody really care about this stuff anymore? Who cares

January 25, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  119. Krambo III

Winter's Bone is garbage.

January 25, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  120. mark

Just saw Winter's Bone, twice. Got it from Blockbuster. I had never heard of it. OMG, this is the most powerful movie I have seen in years. I felt I was there. Unbelievable performances from actors I've never heard of. A must, must see if you want a film that is pure emotion.

January 25, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  121. Lisa L

Not sure what the hype was about Black Swan.. it was confusing and strange and seemed foreign

January 25, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Martin

Oh no, not “foreign”! Thank God Casablanca was set in Missouri otherwise I would never have understood it.

January 25, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  122. bob

how in the hell do they consider Hailee Steinfeld a supporting actress? She was the lead character in True Grit and absolutely smashed any other female performance this year. By a long shot.

January 25, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Julie

I wondered about this as well. Supporting actress? She ran the whole movie. I was amazed by her performance, particularly since she was an unknown.

January 25, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • banjovi

My thoughts exactly!! She was the lead for the whole movie. Best actress.

January 25, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  123. Diego

Well this is the first year in a long time that I've actually seen all the movies nominated for best picture. I think it will be a close call on who might win it. I personally think in order the best pictures are: The King's Speech, The Kids are All Right, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, 127 Hours, True Grit, Black Swan, Inception, The Fighter, and Winter's Bone. I'm sure my picks are quite different then most but this is the first time I could actually have a valid opinion on the movies nominated because I've actually seen them all. I'm looking forward to seeing who wins.

January 25, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  124. someguy02

Can't believe Daft Punk didn't get best original score for Tron Legacy, its a masterpiece.

January 25, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  125. Luke

All, I'm sayin is that Christian Bale should win the Oscar for best supporting actor. He was amazing in the Fighter.

January 25, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Luke

Not to mention all the weight he lost and that he has a natural English accent.

January 25, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  126. Goss

Ben Affleck should be nominated for Best Director & The Town nominated for Best Picture. My prediction is The King's Speech wins it all.

January 25, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • g

get a grip.

January 25, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Alan Smithee

No, that's a valid point. The Town was great. Ben may be just an okay actor but he's a terrific director and looks like maybe he wasn't just riding buddy Damon's coat tails for Good Will Hunting as he also co-wrote the screenplay for The Town.

January 25, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  127. Luke

When is this airing?

January 25, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • PoohBear70

Sunday, February 27th. Check your local listings for actual times.

January 25, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  128. Nayef

Looks like it's gonna be a toss up between The Social Network and The King's Speech for Best Picture. James Franco is the host AND nominee. Is this the first time to happen in Oscars history?

January 25, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Nope, co-host David Niven won Best Actor for "Separate Tables".

January 25, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  129. matt

it just seems movies nowadays dont have the same qualitys of years pass.....shindlers list, private ryan, braveheart, gladiator....etc....i wish more movie were made that can even come close to these

January 25, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  130. Drew

Christopher Nolan snubbed for Best Director yet again... And David O. Russell gets in? Huh?

January 25, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  131. Jay

I find it amazing that two actresses from "The Fighter" were both nominated in the same category (Best Supporting Actress) and Mila Kunis was not given a nomination for Black Swan. Ridiculous.

January 25, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • R74

My thoughts exactly...i was surprised to see that Mila Kunis was left out she was awesome in Black Swan.

January 25, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • James

I totally agree!!! I just assumed Mila Kunis would be nominated for her role in Black Swan. She's come a long way from That 70's Show.

January 25, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  132. Scott

Ahhh! Why have we excluded best original score from this list? If I could attain just a small portion of the talent that rests in the pinky finger of maestros like John Powell, John Williams, and Hans Zimmer, I would be perfectly content with my life. They deserve to be mentioned.

January 25, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  133. Nate

I was really hoping that Daft Punk would be nominated for Original Score for TRON Legacy. Great tunes.

January 25, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Ivonne

Totally!!

January 25, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Spencer

The main reason I checked the nominations was to see if they made the cut! Disappointing. Say what you want about the movie (I, for one, loved the original and enjoyed the second), but the music really held the movie together, and added needed depth to many scenes (much like Wendy Carlos did with the first). Bravo to Daft Punk! Boooo to the Academy!

January 25, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • kake79

I'm with you. The score for TRON: Legacy was amazing. I would also have liked to see a nomination for Visual Effects.

January 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steeev

And Makeup!

January 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Robin

Has anyone notice that The Tourist wasn't nominated for anything? How embarrassing for them- especially with all the talk of payments for nominations for the Golden Globes. i didn't see it but heard it was awful.

January 25, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  135. DDSilks

What happened to Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter???? He was terrific.

January 25, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  136. GCS

CHRISTOPHER NOLAN MISSING FOR BEST DIRECTION !!!!!!!

January 25, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  137. Be Quiet

I'm glad that twit Andrew Garfield got snubbed.

January 25, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  138. dida

Go Greece!

January 25, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  139. as

For best movie it should go between The King's Speech (which isn't out yet where I live but looks great), The Social Network, and Toy Story 3. Inception was great but I don't think it'll win. Black Swan was ok but not more of a girl's Fight Club. I hope none of the others wins or there will be critics like last year with The Hurt Locker.

January 25, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • JZ

so you are basing your opinion for kings speech as best film on what you have heard from others. Seriously, wish people would stop repeating what they have heard about films, and have their own opinion based on their own views. This causes a lot of over exaggerated hype at times which places films beyond what they actually are.

January 25, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • upupandaway

You're dead on. Knowing the way things work in national politics, The King's Speech, The Social Network, and Black Swan will be the ones at the top. I want Toy Story 3 to have chance though. I LOVED that movie!

January 31, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Spin2Win

Inception didn't have a director?? Hailee Steinfeld, "True Grit" Supporting??

Hope we get to see some of the foreign language films in wider release.

January 25, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  141. Irnbru16

Congrats and good luck to all nominees...
    But it weird to see Chris Nolan dint got nomination for Inception...

January 25, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  142. mark in nyc

i see the old hollywood club is back in action. annette bening and not julianne moore? toy story 3 for best movie? no mila kunis? once again, it's who you know or sleep with.....NOT what you do.

January 25, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Christian

no it's not

January 25, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • deb

Mark – Annette Bening's role had more "meat" to it than Julianne's did and she nailed it totally! She deserves to nomination.

January 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  143. ana montagne

Its a shame christopher nolan is not nominated as best director!!!! I hope inception wins all the nominations instead the others crapy movies!

January 25, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  144. Ciara Rose

I agree with many of these choices... I wish I could see more of... Mio

January 25, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  145. nnenna

So happy Colin Firth is getting his second nomination, twice in a role. I hope he wins it!!! Yay

January 25, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  146. Rob

The King's Speech for all of it!

January 25, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  147. Marcus

I do like the nominations. Wish there was room for Christopher Nolan for Best Director since Inception was the best movie of 2010 IMO.

January 25, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  148. Victor

Just came from the cinema and was very glad to see The King's Speech among the movies with most nominations. It's a remarkable story and I hope they manage to win many prizes.

January 25, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  149. MafeR

Inception and Hereafter deserve more nominations and Oscars. The Academy choices have been horrible for a while. :(

January 25, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  150. EJ

wow True Grit is getting more attention as a remake than it did when John Wayne made the original.....wonder if two different actors ever won an Oscar playing the same character?

January 25, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Julian

Marlon Brando and Robert Deniro they both won the oscar for playing Vito Corleone in the godfather 1 and 2

January 25, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

True Grit is not a remake of the movie. It's a re-telling of the book.

January 25, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Alan Smithee

Bridges is very unlikely to win since he won just last year.

January 25, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Jax

@Joe...Get over it, IT'S A REMAKE! Same story, characters and plot of a previously made film. The next person I hear say "it's a retelling" is gonna get slapped. As a writer it's an insult to give credit to someone for stealing a previously made film and remaking it, especially with the number of great scripts that are floating around out there. Hollywood just takes the easy road by REMAKING some films, as it gives them a built in audience of those that remember the original film and will go see it see if it stacks up or not. Remakes suck, and by definition should not be allowed to be nominated for best picture.

January 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Yes. Marlon Brando for 'The Godfather' as Don Corleone in 1972 (Best Actor). Then Robert DeNiro for 'The Godfather, Part II in 1974 (Best Supporting Actor).

January 25, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Bill

Just the industry trying to promote what is now available What happened to all of Last years movies. I will never watch a movie from this year promoted by them it is usually junk.. There were many good movies last year that those are what they should be looking at. not who is Kissing their butt. What about the movies that came out last summer and fall. Not good enough for the rich and famous

January 25, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  152. Rashid Saadlou

Fingers crossed for Toy Story 3. I believe that Toy Story 3 should at least win the best animated feature.

January 25, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • RonDo

Toy Story 3 winning animated feature is a lock. Though I would like to offer Pixar some congrats on putting out consistently excellent works of art.

January 25, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  153. Alicia

I wonder if people are aware that blockbuster movies are made for money not substance, that why no "big films" are nominated. The nominations are right on point.

January 25, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  154. Diane

What happeened to Noomi Rapace? How can she get overlooked? How can they just overlook the "The Girl series"? I don't understand? I hope Colin Firth and the King's Speech walks away with everything

January 25, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  155. ray jones

True Grit is 1st movie I've ever walked out of. Just the worst movie I've seen with hype. Don't get this at all. The Town was much better. True Grit is a joke.

January 25, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • g

you gotta be a retard, you just gotta be.

January 25, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • MJ

I haven't seen True Grit, but I'd have liked to see The Town nominated for best picture over Toy Story 3. I liked TS3, but I don't think that animated pics should be nominated in the best movie category.

January 25, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Laughable. The Coen Brothers are master filmmakers. Ben Affleck... um, not so much...

January 25, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Ja

Although I will not see True Grit in the theatre. I NEVER PAY MONEY INTO THE POCKETS OF ANYONE WHO MAKES A REMAKE! I'm sure the movie is worth watching in general. However I do want to come to Ben Affleck's defense who is now two for two with "Gone baby gone" and now "The Town" both of which are very good movies. And although I like the coen brothers (when they're not making remakes, so sad) i would put Ben's first two movies up against the coen's first two movies...

January 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

Dumbest thing I've heard for a while.

January 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  156. JJsMom

CONGRATS to ALL of the nominees. I am quite surprised to "not" see Mark Wahlberg in the BEST ACTOR category....Oh Well...sigh...............

January 25, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  157. themoi

Narcissits patting other narcissists on the back and oohing and ahing over their overpriced clothes. The gap between the haves and have nots gets wider all the time. We still have almost 10% unemployment in this country, are still at war and economy is still in the tank but we use this fluff piece of massive egotism to bolster our sagging spirits? This country is going downhill faster than ever.

January 25, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • boocat99

Wah! Wah! Wah! Noones's forcing you to read this article, see the movies or watch the Oscars. Stop whining! You're pathetic.

January 25, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • JT

UM...OK. All of what you said is true (except I'd take issue with the "going downhill faster than ever bit"), but obviously people still care about celebrating art and entertainment. It's not as if millions of viewers are strapped down to their couches and forced to watch the ceremony every year. And really, they still held the awards during the Great Depression, World War II, Vietnam, etc. Are they self-aggrandizing? Yes. Do I care? No. I like going to see interesting and compelling films and enjoy getting a sense of what I may have missed out on throughout the year. The inconomy IS in the tank, and maybe, if nothing else, I want to know which DVD might be worth my $5.

January 25, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • daveb

Wow! An Oscar to you for being able to weave negative national politics into this pretty much meaningless fun we're having here.

January 25, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • The Academy

And this year's Oscar for Best Internet Troll goes to...envelope please....THEMOI !!!!! Yay!!

January 25, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • emma65

Themoi, the film industry soared during the Great Depression for the reason that people wanted to be entertained and distracted, jazz and big band music flourished as well. When people find something else to do then the film industry will die out like gladiator fights and burning witches did. By the way, there are crappy books published: should we do away with publishing and reading?

January 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  158. ana

Sad that justin timberlake was left out...he did a great job on The Social Network!

January 25, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Hurls

Please tell me you are kidding

January 25, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam

You must be one of those boy band junkies. Justin Timberlake will never be a a good actor, comedies or dramas.

January 25, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Aj

Not only is she not kidding, she's right. I agree that there should have been some supporting nominations for inception as well. Performances were forgotten.

January 25, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Ivonne

Solid list! Congrats to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for their soundtrack nomination

January 25, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Hahaha... If "The Social Network" doesn't win Best Picture, it will be because of Justin Timberlake's sub-par acting. He's the only part of that film that I didn't like. If anyone got left out it was Andrew Garfield. He FOR SURE should have been nominated for Supporting Actor.

January 25, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex

I agree – Justin T did a good job in that movie... maybe not Oscar quality but quite good for being a little singing boy....

January 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Monique

Black Swan was a bizarre movie! Natalie Portman did a great job in the film. Amazing movie. Congratulations to Natalie Portman for being nominated.

January 25, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  160. Tony

"The Kids Are All Right" – Total Trash

January 25, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Why?...because it's a movie about gay people?

January 25, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Dan

LOL.

January 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patriot

Dan.. seriously? Did you take a moment to ponder the judgement you're passing in reaction to one's own personal opinion? You're nothing more than a loose liberal moron; part of a core of flith that's dragging the US from its former station of greatness.

January 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Binky One

Can we have ONE discussion without throwing politics into it??? I'm so friggin sick of people making everything about someone's supposed political leanings. C'mon People! These are movies; ENTERTAINMENT, remember???

January 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Upupandaway

Actually, the academy awards are politics. Maybe not like running for dog catcher (not trying to be mean if your town has that), but it's pretty much the same thing. They run ads to remind the people who vote on the winners (I've seen these for Black Swan). And then they win AN ELECTION.

January 31, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  161. happytam

How did Mila Kunis not get nominated for Supporting Actress for her role in Black Swan? She was great. That being said, I am rooting for Hailee Steinfeld. She was fantastic in True Grit and more than held her own alongside the other seasoned actors she was cast with.

January 25, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I absolutely agree with you. Instead they nominated two actresses from the same movie for Best Supporting Actress. This is exactly why people don"t watch the Academy Awards anymore. The people who make these nominations are a joke.

January 25, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • dtcpr

@Jay- did you see the fighter? Both women were AMAZING in the movie and I think it's horrible Mark Whalberg didn't get a nomination...he was fantastic in this movie and to have the rest of the cast get nominated and not him is a travesty... I hope Fighter wins Best Picture!

January 25, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

I agree as well. Hailee was really good in True Grit. Can't wait to go see Black Swan, but it will probably not be until it's out of the theaters.

January 25, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • terrix2000

I agree, Mila Kunis was way overlooked and should not have been.

January 25, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Shann

I have to slightly disagree. I felt her role, although done well, was not too hard to pull off. I think it was Barbara Hershey, who played Nina's mother, who did a phenomenal job as supporting actress. Nonetheless, the movie was absolutely amazing, but I'm sure the only award it will receive will be Natalie Portman's well deserved Best Actress.

January 25, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  162. inception

INCEPTION FOR OSCAR

January 25, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Patch

The sad truth of the matter is that Inception qualifies as science fiction. The closest we've seen from the Academy with regard to awarding a science fiction film was the selection of Return of the King, arguably selected as a fantasy film. Inception getting the award (even the Best Original Screenplay) would require the jump of a huge hurdle for the genre, not to mention beating a set of films I regard as the Academy-class: Films that were not particularly popular at the box office but appeal to the Academy enough to get the nod.

January 25, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

So what did Avatar fall under?

January 25, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Hackks

true dat.. my mind was totally blown

January 25, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • stacie

i would love to see hans zimmer take home the oscar for the inception score.

January 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  163. johnnymr51

Just give the whole 9 yards to 'The King's Speech' because everyone and everything about it was classic, moving, artfully inspired and memorable. Firth, Rush, Bonham Carter, Director and Best Picture – 5 oscars for this masterpiece!

January 25, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  164. Pat

How was Inception not in either of the Supporting categories? What the hell is Winter's Bone? I've never even heard of it...

January 25, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • MafeR

Totally agree ... Inception and Hereafter should have gotten more nominations.

January 25, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Diane

it wasn in dependent fil set in the south about Meth users and makers and what happens an the consequences thereof. it was good but certainly not Oscar worthyI can't believe Winter's Bone got nominatesd and they left out The girl with the Dragon Tattoo GO figure

January 25, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Oscar

Winter's Bone is more raw and powerful than these Hollywood factory products can never be. If you can sit though two hours without special effects and manufactured emotions you just might see something amazing.

January 25, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Hi Pat. I would highly recommend Winter's Bone. Picked it up last week after hearing some buzz, and I was blown away. Great story set in rural Missouri about a young girl who must find her bail-jumping dad or lose the family home. The acting is authentic and top-notch. No car chases, exposions or over-the-top effects. The magic is in the characters and the story, which is what good movie making is all about. "Winter's Bone" is a real gem of a movie. I will watch it again. I'm pulling for "Winter's Bone" at the oscars!

January 25, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • shannon

Winter's Bone is a very good movie; you ought to see it.

January 25, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Pam

@Diane, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came out in 2009 and isn't eligible for the 2010 awards.

January 25, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Jonas

Winter's Bone is an incredible movie....one of those films that is just painful to watch because the acting is that good.

January 25, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • mary

That's a shame. No one has heard of it since it didn't get a wide release. My son and sister read the book and told me all about it so I knew to look. I rented it from Blockbuster. It was good.

January 25, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • TOM

I read a review of Winters Bone and rented it on Netflix based on that. It was a really great movie...and Jennifer Lawrence was outstanding. Never even heard of her before this. Check it out...gritty look at part of the counrty and it's inhabitants that we don't usually see much about....well worth a watch.

January 25, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Fred Hoffman

The King's Speech and the actors in it deserve to zoom to the top! Incredible story well told.

January 25, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Jody

Well said, what a wonderful movie. I had no intention of seeing it and it became my favorite movie of the year. Every actor was splendid.

January 25, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  166. Be Quiet

John Hawkes! YES!

January 25, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Jax

Totally deserved! He and Jennifer Lawrence were awesome in Winter's Bone. If you haven't seen it, go rent it! Right Now!

January 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Hitokiri

A bunch of crappy movies... Do people still watch this show?

January 25, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred L. Fraud

The King's Speech is a great movie. Go back to your cartoons.

January 25, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • MLS15

Upset that "Couple Retreat" or "The Last Airbender" are not nominated?

January 25, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Christian

Not sure what movies you are watching but most of these were pretty damn good. Especially Black Swan andd The King's Speech.

January 25, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  168. asif

No major production..

January 25, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  169. Ned

We haven't seen any of them and aren't particularly interested in the stories they represent

January 25, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • joe

Why even read the article, let alone post a comment?

January 25, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Sheesh. Then why even comment at all? What's the point?

January 25, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • wocka

Ned, get a life. Who cares that you don't care? What a waste of your time for writing the comment and mine for reading it.

January 25, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Diane

Too bad you missed The King's Speech. AWESOME

January 25, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Linda D

The point: Hollywood puts out crap and I'm not interested in seeing any of these movies either. The academy doesn't even recognize the movies that are hits, the ones that sell lots of tickets because the people want to see them.

January 25, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Scoop

Linda D – Agreed, and once we get Vampires Suck its well deserved Oscar, maybe you can join me in my crusade to get McDonalds ats long overdue Michelin Star.

January 25, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Linda: Six of the top ten grossing films of the year were nominated for Oscars, and two of those were nominated for Best Picture. Good to see you're paying attention.

January 25, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Who cares what you didn't do? Why are you commenting? Geesh!

January 25, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I've seen a number of these, and I liked all I have seen....."Black Swan", "Inception", "The Kids Are All Right", "The King’s Speech", "Winter’s Bone", "Rabbit Hole," "Blue Valentine", and probably a couple of others. I enjoyed them all, although not all equally.

It should be noted that while most are "Hollywood" films, some are not.

It also should be noted that some of them didn't sell a lot of tickets, compared to others. Some like "Winter's Bone" have only grossed a little over $6M, compared to others which have grossed tens of millions, or even over a hundred million. "Blue Valentine" has so far grossed only a bit over $3M.

January 25, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • tiffany

O c'mon now Ned...you seem like a True Grit kinda guy.

January 25, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • JV

Thanks for letting everyone know Ned. Quite the insight and we all will sleep better knowing you have little interest. They are remaking Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, maybe you are interested in that?

January 25, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • OMG

omg! why are you even commenting then, Geez! get a life! omg

January 25, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • SeanNJ

I don't care about all the comments here telling you they don't care about your not caring.

January 25, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • mrs. mia wallace

LindaD- You mean the ones with the overpaid actors that were over rated? Just because a movie has a big name doesn't mean its any good. Have some taste.

January 25, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • IamMeandNotYou

I'm with Ned. The point of posting here is to tell you's, the sheep nation, that these movies are not the type of movies that we have seen over the course of this year. There are exceptions, such as Harry Potter, How to train your dragon, and Toy Story 3. Now, not before you go on to lable me as "You have kids and only watch kid movies". This happens to not be the case. I have seen wonderful movies this year. And to name a few: Diary of a wimpy kid, Repo Men, Resident Evil 4 Afterlife.

January 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • binky one

Who's "we" Ned???? Your invisible friends?

January 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • JMD

Linda D. - By your logic, the best restaurant in the world would be McDonald's.

January 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

@ Scoop – hahahaha could not have said it better.

January 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

I agree with ned. I've not seen most of these movies. Looks like the same movies nominated over and over and over again... wth did no other movies come out last year???

February 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Elena Kulagina

I'm for Colin Firth! With all my heart:))

January 25, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • mary

ME TOO!!

January 25, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Ana

Go Colin !

January 25, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • He was good..

but Jesse Eisenberg was really good too. Colin will win most likely but I'm glad Eisenberg has gotten the attention he deserves, even at his age.

January 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

Me too!! I am positive he's going to win. All the actors nominated were great but Colin Firth was PHENOMENAL!

January 25, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • LRoy

I'm for The Fighter all the way. I know some members of the REAL Micky Ward's family personally so perhaps I'm biased.

February 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherri

Me too! But I have not seen a lot of the others. Just have not got out as much. And, local theater was sold to AMC, who promptly raised the prices – a lot!

February 26, 2011 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  171. Bridget

I certainly agree with most of the nominations. Congrats to the nominees!

January 25, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Erin

I think the fighter should win in best movie, best supporting actor and actress! Awesome movie. I don't like Bale usually but he did an amazing job.

January 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phoibe

Most of them, yes; however, anything that has anything to do with True Grit has my two thumbs down! This movie, and this role, were created specifically for JOHN WAYNE. I give this movie a big BOO!! HISS!! How dare they think they should or COULD remake this movie!!

February 27, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Markbuk

Whichever, im from boston and im GLAD the town didnt come anywhere near an academy award

August 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |