Elton John on fatherhood: It's been enchanting
January 24th, 2011

Elton John on fatherhood: It's been enchanting

Elton John is singing the praises of becoming a first-time father at the age of 63.

"I thought I would be frantic, worrying about when he's crying," John tells CNN of Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, who was born via surrogate on Christmas Day.

"I got to understand that's what babies do — crying, and you put him over your shoulder, you carry him in front of you, you change him, you feed him, you read him a bedtime story, you bathe him. It's all so wonderful. This is the most beautiful time because he's just a little innocent blank canvas and it's totally relaxed me. It's been enchanting."

Of course, John, who is married to David Furnish, admits there are some challenges ahead, especially when Zachary's schoolmates discover that he has two daddies.

"Kids only say what their parents say. So, as parents, we have a duty to try to change [what] we tell our children. We have to be more compassionate, more understanding of different people in this world," explains John, who composed the music for the upcoming animated film "Gnomeo & Juliet." "I grew up in the '60s, when it was a great time of love; this is worse now than it was then."

Ultimately, John says, parents need to teach their children to have compassion.

"This is a time to say I respect you, I understand... and not for us, as parents, to tell children you should not like [someone] because they're a certain color, a certain religion, or a certain sexual persuasion. We have as parents that responsibility."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Elton John • Music

1. (__)_)//////////////////////////////D

Eltons rear-end has been exercised so often I wonder if he is adept at farting out lullabis to baby zachry?

February 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Thinking

I wonder if Elton prefers being on his back with legs in the air or doggy style? I wonder if while doing doggy does Elton raise up in the air, arms grasping at emptyness as he winnies like a horse.

I wonder who does the butt cleaning afterwards? Perhaps Sworthy the BUTLER?

February 2, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BrownBUTTpickle

Perhaps is Elton and lover continue their butt boogering practice then through sheet determination and a little help from evolution, Elton might become pregnant!! And yes one day out pops a little brown boy or girl....how special...*POOT* ITS A CREAMPIE!!

February 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DotDotDot

I LOVE Elton think he'll be a wonderful father, and think as long as there is love and devotion present, that's a family and that's okay with me. That being said, I do have a bit of a problem with a person becoming a parent of an infant at the age of 63. The average life span is what, 70-something now? So while I hope Elton lives forever, speaking of 63 year olds in general, how many have 18 good years left to get a child to adulthood? He'll be 81 when that child turns 18.

January 25, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. passionkiwi

@ beautiful vixen wow how closed minded can you be!!! Really just because a kid is raised by gay or lesibian parents he or she is automatically gonna grow to be gay??? I really doubt that and were is your research proving that theory or right there is none cause your just a narrow minded stupid idiotic person who makes the world a worse place by make stupid and sterotypical comments that you just did

January 25, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Beautiful Vixen

This is so wrong. Man and man, woman with woman its just right. This poor kid is going to grow up gay like these two old fools.

January 24, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • KarenAustralia

What proof do you have fool that this little person will grow up gay? What an uninformed, stupid statement to make. This child will be given every chance to make whatever he wishes too of his life from 2 loving parents. Do you have children? and if so will your children be able to say the same of you. Don't make judgements about things you obviously have no knowledge of.

February 1, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. passionkiwi

So why does it matter who the parents are if its 2 men 2 woman as long as the child will have a loving happy home and what about people who cant have children naturally would adoption be wrong for them as well even if they are straigh... People need to stop being so closed mind and using religon as a crutch and misinterpert (probably mis-spelled srry) it to push there own views and beliefs on people

January 24, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ROLANDSASAKI

I LOVE BOYSSS AND ELTON JOHN IS MY FAVVV!! AHHHH YES. I WANT TO MARRY HIM AND HAVE LITTLE ASIAN BABIES

January 24, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jose

oh yeah. i forgot to say i wish elton would adopt me. his early 70s music is incredible.

January 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jose

this really is one lucky kid. incredibly nice parents. rich. big mansions. plus his dad is a great singer.

January 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. El Jefe

I wonder if he would be saying that at 63 and wasn't filthy rich?

January 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NewYorkKid

To anyone who's against this: you're all fools. My father died when I was 13 and my mother was too mentally unwell to take care of me. I'm 18 years old now and in college. But regardless of my age or school grade, I'd LOVE for the opportunity to have two parents that would give me the support and admiration I'd need. I don't care if it's two women, two men, or whatever. That'd be absolutely wonderful. This child is extremely lucky and I wish his parents the best.

January 24, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bgirl

In todays day and age, a child is LUCKY to have 2 loving paerents that are together in the same household. So if that means its a man & woman, 2 men or 2 women, than so be it. All that matters is the child is taken care of and loved.

January 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

A child has a wonderful home with two loving parents. If one of the parents is older, the other is still young enough to see him well into adulthood. I really could care less whether the parents are a man and woman, two men, two women or two wealthy, highly intelligent giraffes. This child will be loved and cared for everyday. How many other children are that lucky?

January 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. hannah h

I think it is a wonderful thing that sir elton and david are finally parents. god bless their family! and i think evelyn has it all wrong, you dont buy a baby you adopt one.....duhh! god needs to help you.

January 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. witchywoman

Some people had better re read their bibles there is much to learn. Men love men women love women since creation it is all there. God does not frown upon anyone. Acceptance is what the lord is acceptance of everyone who will have him.

January 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • um NO

@witchywoman, I dont know what bible you are reading but the BIBLE clearly states that a man is to lie with a woman and a woman to lie with a man. Don't put things in just because that is what you want it to say. Sorry!

January 25, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  17. sorryevelyn

evelyn, God isn't going to "bless" what He considers an abomination.

January 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  18. evelyn

congratulations! they are two wonderful parents that will surround their child with lots of love. that is great.God bless themk

January 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. twittergirl

It still has wrong written all over it – I don't care how much "love" you put in there.
    Two gay men should NOT be able to purchase a baby – God help that child.

January 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • NY

No........ God help you for being so closed on the subject. What about two women is it ok WITH YOU that two women have to buy a baby? Or do you just have a issue with foks that are gay? are you afraid of it?

January 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. cubana

I think its wonderful congrqatulations 2 the both of u.

January 24, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lady Angel

I LOVE Sir Elton and I'm happy for them. Children are a blessing. I don't care (more importantly, NONE of my business) that they are 2 men. What's important is: they're wanting to raise their child with love! The only issue, if you want to call it that, is their ages...but that's only because my dad was an "older dad" by the time I came 'round! :-) Congratulations and God bless, Sir John and David!

January 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Elaine

In an age where so many children are brought up by single parents, why can't we just rejoice that this precious baby will have 2 devoted parents. He will also have women in his life in the form of Aunts, grandmothers, friends etc. He will be loved and want for nothing. I am so happy for Elton and David and wish them every happiness with their family and also great success with the charity work that they do to make this world a better place for EVERYONE.

January 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jen

Esmiranda, if a child loses a PARENT it is a tragedy. The only thing skewed about this is your own worldview.

January 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. esmiranda

I'm sure little zachary will have everything money will buy – everything except a mother. If a child loses a mother or a father, it's considered a tragedy. When they are brought into life by gay parents with the knowledge they won't have a mother or have a father, it's considered a triumph. How skewed. But, nature is wrong and gays are right. I'm sure there is legislation in the works somewhere to make that a law.

January 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  25. FRAN

Good for Elton and his husband it's nice for him to have a child to complete their family now.
    Good luck!