Carey Mulligan wants to appear on 'To Catch a Predator'
January 24th, 2011

Carey Mulligan wants to appear on 'To Catch a Predator'

She earned an Oscar nomination for "An Education," appeared opposite Michael Douglas in "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" and is set to co-star with Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Great Gatsby," but there's one dream role Carey Mulligan has yet to land: a stint on "To Catch a Predator."

In a recent interview with the U.K.'s The Guardian, the 25-year-old Brit It girl gushes about her favorite show, telling her interviewer, "Oh, you have to watch it! It's on in America, it's a reality show… They go online and pretend to be little boys and girls, and they get these pedophiles to come to this fake suburban house. And then this guy walks in called Chris Hansen and collars them. And then, when they try to walk out, these police officers jump on them!"

Mulligan continues, "They've got this guy who's dressed in army camouflage, with leaves on his outfit, who hides in the bushes, leaps out and throws them to the ground. The Leaf Man! Oh, it's so good."

In fact, Mulligan hopes to nab a part on the show one day. "That's what I want to do," she says. "I want to play the fake child on 'To Catch a Predator.' No, wait! I want to play the Leaf Man!"

Filed under: Celebrities • movies • television

1. C

Well done, CNN. This is a fine piece of journalism.

January 25, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dee bagger

come on guys... we need to cut the phedophiles a break... atleast they dont speed in school zones.

January 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chris Hansen

I'll be back, guys. Do not worry.

January 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rob

This is a story worth printing? Who ever told a reporter t go after this story should be fired.Not only is it not newsworthy, its non essential.What a joke CNN has become.I am deleting it off my phone, computer and TV. Trash news.Too bad Robin Meade can't announce when she is leaving CNN

January 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • duh

Two words for you: MARQUEE BLOG.

It doesn't matter if it's worth printing if it's in the Marquee Blog... now if this was in the US news section... then I would agree with you.

Before you get yourself all riled up, remember what section of CNN you're leaving comments in. The joke's on you, clown.

January 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hoof Arted

Sure, it's not really news.

But that show is gold. Love seeing lives get ruined cause some pervert swears "she said she was 18!!!"

January 25, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Marc

Don't blame the actress. This "article" is an exerpt from an interview. How foolish would *you* seem if 20 seconds from an hour long interview were converted into an article? So blame CNN? Nope. They post articles people will read, it's their business. Even self-satisfied, gloating blowhards such as yourselves have filled up the comments nicely, despite somehow being offended by superficiality the content. Ironic given you were browsing the entertainment section and chose to click on a headline that supposedly didn't interest you. Perhaps what interested you was the opportunity to fuel what meager self esteem you have by criticizing the work of professionals who *create* something. If only they were like you, imagine the world we'd live in. Everyone could sit around getting a thrill from criticizing one another for doing nothing of value. First, try to create something of value. Second, have the guts to allow the public to judge it. Third, return to those little comment boards that you find so soothing for your opinionated little delicate egos. CNN, I don't love every article but I realize fully that you're doing a hard job, and attempting to please a very diverse audience while staying relevant. Please ignore rants from people who never had the guts to use all their creativity to make something of value and substance.

January 25, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bahbah

What's the point of this? Terrible article. CNN is becoming mindless

January 25, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Loud Noises

I have not read the comments yet but am expecting to find the following:
    "She sounds so stupid!"
    "LOL That would be funny"
    "Don't make fun of her! I love her."
    "How can she make fun of kiddie diddlers??"
    "That leaf man is a hero, how dare that brit make fun of our cops!"
    and the oh so famous
    "WHY IS THIS AN ARTICLE? IT IS MINDLESS BABBLE" followed by "This is the entertainment section of CNN, That is why is mindless."

January 25, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Trained doctor of medicine

You sir/ma'am are what we call in my business, a botard...

January 25, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Allison

Oh god, she's not allowed to think it'd be fun to be the Leaf Man who jumps out of the bushes? I'd do that too. You people need a sense of humor.

January 25, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ibie efosabege

Comfirm matter

January 25, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. nina

Why.

January 25, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. heydog

hey dog. hey. hey. that is what dave chapelle says. he is funny.

January 25, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. scott

She probably pronounces hilarious as "illarious" and talks with her eyes closed and nose up. SMUG

January 25, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Naked4Fun

LAME

January 25, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. XXV

Blah, Blah, Blah...Losers.
    Stop all the sicko's in the world
    Including you losers
    Writing on this Blog.
    Oops. I may be one for writing
    This.. CNN is done just like
    MSNBC. Oblerman Who!!

January 25, 2011 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  16. jean claude van damn

...In my pants!!!

January 25, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. jean claude van damn

I'll take a Mulligan on this one...

January 25, 2011 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  18. Carl B

She should star in 'How to be an actress'....

January 25, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  19. Carl B

Is she for real?

January 25, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  20. osama obama

thought this was about arnold swarz movie, dont know her. Who is she?

January 25, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  21. Ben Roethlisberger

They should have Dakota Fanning on the show and then punk her and no one come out to rescue her. Just leave her to the wolves. Maybe Ashton Kutcher could come out later when she's done crying hahaha...

January 25, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. passionkiwi

obviously you cause you took the time to read the article and comment on it after

January 25, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  23. commentator

Who cares? Does this story help me pay my rent, eat when am hungry or make my life better? NO. If celebrities take a dump, need we know about it? Or what crap they think? Am mad!!

January 25, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  24. Tivoli

Okay well she's still very young, famous and always in the spotlight, and also from another country so maybe to her the show is unusual and fascinateing. I think I would clarify why I was interested in the show, and my reasoning for wanting to be on it though, so as to not sound sick or falsely labeled a wide variety of other things. Personally I wouldn't mind being on the show on the side of the good guys, just so I could shout some choice words at the perverts and kick their *ss!

January 25, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  25. nutjob

I think the point of her comments is that she thinks the show is freaky. She does actually defend the men somewhat. But she's making an offhand remark about something she saw on TV, but when you're a movie star your comments echo around the internet. She's 25, when I was that age I made any number of comments about strange TV shows.

January 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Cibbwin

I don't understand why opening up to an interviewer and letting her hair down and gushing about a silly TV program makes Mulligan 'immature' or 'snobby.' What, are we defending those poor, misunderstood pedophiles now? Mulligan is a breath of fresh air and a wonderful talent.

January 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Triumph

THIS IS A GOOD STORY....FOR ME TO POOP ON.

January 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jared

Fairly hypocritical of her seeing as how her first real movie splash was playing a high school girl having an affair with a man old enough to be her dad. Glorify it to make a buck, then condemn it and want to be on the show?

January 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. C00ter's N00nie

She is an idiot...thats not a reality show..it is a sick and twisted show that no one wants to be on..what a clueless girl!! Catch a predator is good because these creeps are off the street...but not to be on...she is a moron!!

January 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. James

Anyone ever see the show? It's better comedy than anything Hollywood could produce. Somethig about seeing real people ruining their lives, it's funny.

CNN is a little weird for doing a story on this but she's a normal young girl in her 20's who has a great sense of humor.

If they offered the box set of predator on DVD I'd ask her to come over and have some lemonade and cookies. Hahaha.

January 24, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  31. eagleeyerover

Oh. C'mon! Clearly she enjoys the show. I've dated women who Luv WWF, Horror movies and Cops (I personally HATE cops and all reality shows). I think she's may just be having fun. Asd a professional entertainer, one has quirky likes and dislikes as well as a different sense of humor. She's just a young actress for pete's sake! Cut the girl some slack.

January 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. prez

Idiot!!

January 24, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Vicious

she almost sounds as if she's high. almost.
    almost certainly haha

January 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Josh

Clearly she's not bringing in the rolls because of her IQ. She sounds incredibly immature.

January 24, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindsay

True. I'd expect more from a middle school student, much less an Oscar nominee. I can see her giggling with her smug British accent, thinking how fun it is to talk to sickos online. Yes, that's just hilarious!

January 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  35. El Jefe

Wow, this story just totally blows.

It's like mindless babble that one keeps to oneself expect someone out it up for everybody to read.

January 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |