Justin Bieber aiming for older crowd with new CD
January 21st, 2011

Justin Bieber aiming for older crowd with new CD

Justin Bieber is getting in sync with Justin Timberlake for his next record. According to Bieber's songwriter, the Bieb will imitate JT as he attempts to attract an older crowd.

"What we're trying to do with Justin is to segue him into young adulthood," tunesmith Sean Garrett tells Billboard of 16-year-old Bieber's follow-up to "My World 2.0."

"The one great thing about Justin Bieber is the fact that his fans are going to grow with him," Garrett adds. "So we want all the fans that started out with him to still be intrigued and excited about him, but we want to also stretch out a little bit and make the fans that are 22-23 years old love Justin as well."

That means modeling himself after the former Mouseketeer.

"When Justin Timberlake went from the last album of *N Sync to his first solo album — I want to say [we're aiming for] that level," says Garrett. "That's the bar for the type of song, that level of 'Cry Me a River,' big records."

Do you think Bieber can appeal to an older audience?

« Previous entry
  1. Kathryn Graf

Justin BIeber can do anything

April 21, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Capwell

Take a look at the Justin Timberlake videos when he was 16 and still with N'SYNC. Compare and contrast teenage Justin with Bieber. Don't tell me Justin Timberlake was performing far above what Bieber was. Justin Timberlake has real star quality and at 16 he had personality. Bieber says things like "fey" and flips his hair. Timberlake at 16 was a real star.

February 2, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. The total Belieber

Ok people you all need to be alot nicer to Justin. It's not like he has ever done anything to any of you and you you all make fun of him. He is not gay, although I kinda wish he was, cause I think he's super hot!

January 31, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. justin boober

I walk like a fairy. I talk like a fairy. I like boys and I want to come out of the closet now!! Time for all u teenie bopper girls to be disappointed! I want the Jonas Brothers as my future trophy husbands! Let's pump it up! Hit the booze!!

January 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bieber is a tool

I am Bieber and I am a fruit. My popularity came way too quickly and I will be melting down faster than Corey Haim. My pretty haircut says is all. Fake ! How much more lip synching can I get away with?? Booze it up!!

January 26, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. annie

I like justin's music and all, but targeting an older audience is not a smart move. Justin's music is catchy, but i dont listen to it because he can relate to me lol

January 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. D

lol

January 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andy

@ Classified, Its kinda funny how you're brave enough to run your mouth about a kid, yet not brave enough to post under your own name. You're nothing but another internet coward.

January 24, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. crapper

I bet he has some skidmarks on some of his undies to!!!

January 24, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. crapper

I have underwear with skid marks older that this chld!!!!lol

January 24, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. [classified]

Whelp. since nobody's established it on this blog. justin bieber sucks and needs to grow some balls. and who ever disagree's oh well

January 24, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jam

Jb is about as original as a can of tuna. I think if this kid wants to stay popular he should take his career into his own hands and not have people telling him what to sing.taylor swifts song are boring and she sounds like a 16 year old and she is in her 20's and she is still hitting the charts.i dont want to hate to much im all for making money but i just dont get teeny bopper music never have.I just hope if this kid has staying power he sings sometthing I can listen to without cringing lol.

January 23, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ashley

I really do not believe that he could break into the older audience. Justin Timberlake broke out in the late 90's when I was 8-9, so I am use to him and have grown up with Mr. Timberlake. I love his music and respect him as a artist, but Beiber, not so much. I really do not think that I could like Beiber's music. Even if his music was aimed for my age group (by the way, I am 20). I love the new do of his, but his voice (from the songs I have heard) is too light and not mature, that it could not handle songs that Mr. Timberlake sings. I do not believe that the vast majority of the older audience will like him, so will, but many wont. These are my opinions. Besides, I like country more than pop.

January 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. D

I just don't get the Bieber fad...I mean those who are older than 13 and say enjoy his music I think should be exposed to more variety of music...I just don't think Justin Bieber's songs are real quality music...

January 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ron B

It must be very scary knowing that your replacement is waiting in the wings...... The lad is on top today but we all know that in a year or two it will be Justin who???

January 23, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. strummer101er

Can we just throw Justin Bieber and Justin Timberlake off of a ship in the North Atlantic already?

January 23, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  17. Respect%

I'm not trying to offend anyone or be mean to Justin Bieber but what annoys me about him is that he acts arrogant and patronizing, especially in his song 'Pray'. He is singing about how people all over the world are hurting and need help and he will...Pray for them? I mean, it's very good of him to record a song like that so that his many fans will hopefully learn to help others from the song but he is 16 and has more money then a whole suburb, he could be donating to so many charities, helping as many people as he possibly can and could be putting a good message to the world but he's not. It's disappointing. In saying that, i hope he does well in his future but also help more people in this world, not just write songs for them.

January 23, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  18. Annabelle

Also i think you can appeal to an older audience.
    Keep up the good work Justin !!!

January 23, 2011 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  19. Sheri

@truth. Well said

January 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Truthhere

Justin Bieber is a nightmare to the music industry. As a college student, the slightest mention of him brings shouts of expletives insulting him. I have never heard a single person say anything positive towards him, lets face it, he SUCKS. The day he is gone will be an improvement to humanity.

January 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Zorba

I'm 21 and I love Justin Bieber! His music is fun!

January 22, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jamed

Cool dude!!! See the trailer of the up coming movie of Justin Bieber... "Justin Beiber: Forever Says Never".

January 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Evel Kneivel

He should get a show on OWN. They seem to be hiring lesbians and he sure looks the part.

January 22, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Meg Hager

I'm over 50 and just adore Justin Bieber. I think he is truly talented, the dancing, his love of music, his abilities on so many musical instruments and how he can use that voice. I see him as a future Frank Sinatra and Elvis who are still singing till the end.

January 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mel

@ lindsay. Cause he's 16. He may be the first overnight sensation you remember. A lot of us have seen this before. Audience transition can end a career, especially for someone who is really just getting started. JB needs to grow with his audience.

January 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jackie

And she obviously missed the point, which explains a lot.

January 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jazzy

So there really is at least one 20 year old JB fan folks!

January 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sure!

Sure. Let him have fun. Lots of former child stars make come backs. Look at Brit! And lots of former child stars end up homeless....

January 22, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Sany

Let him have fun, he is laughing all the way to the bank. He will never have to work in his life all the money he has made and only 16...good for him!

January 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SR

Its good to grow with the fan base.

I am always impressed with young tallent! You should checkout this, 8 yr old drumming in a real/live band!!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZv0wPCe_Ho&w=640&h=390]

January 22, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Karen

Seriously!! Stop trying to make the kid a JT clone! He's great for the tween crowd but he is a 16 year old that looks 12 and will NOT be taken seriously. Let his music mature with his audience. BTW: his audience is primarily 15 and under!!!!!

January 22, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  32. Sin

This is hilarious. The kid is 16 years old and they're trying to do this? Justin Timberlake was in his 20's when he came out with his "adult"/solo CD. And the fact that they're even trying to compare this kid to Timberlake is hilarious. I think he should stick with the kiddie music for life and leave us 20 year olds alone!

January 22, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  33. JD

His careen did not develop like Timberlake's in that JB is not in transition from singing group to solo performer. targeting an older audience will sink his career. Parents will object to suggestive lyrics for their tweens and the older audience will not take him serious. Stick with what works and let him grow With his fans

January 22, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jazzy

His fan base is Primarily 7-15 year old girls. His handlers need to rethink this. Targeting an older audience may ultimately damage his career. Stick to what is working or Justin will fizzle out. He's 16 for goodness sake.

January 22, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  35. Annoyed Conservative Christian

I guess his next CD will be a country CD. That will really take aim at an older crowd.

January 22, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  36. Eddie Dex

I'm sure he can. I pray he doesn't fall into the rut his mentor, Usher, has. One can be sensual without being overtly so in one's lyrics. Usher's "There Goes My Baby" is the only song on his Raymond Vs. Raymond album that isn't talking about "taking off the drawers"...Well, there is one line that states that in TGMB, but by in large it's a tender diddy.

If he can express maturity by finding lyricist that can convey love & passion without resorting to getting a MA lable on his album, Young Bieber's future is certainally bright.

January 22, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  37. Sam

Some young singers write their own music and have ability to talk about their own thinking process in music. This kid has adult writers who create music for him and speak for him. He has all sorts of coaches who control him. This 16 year old attracts college graduate girls? Are you kidding? He's playing with Disney stars and even my niece 16 year old said her friends don't follow him. His fan base is 12 and younger. All the guys I talk to don't think he is a serious artist. His voice is changing, cracking up, not being able to hit high notes any more. More mature audiences, believe it or not, still value singing ability.

January 22, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Mariah

Justin does write some of his own music- his latest single Pray he wrote himself, and he is credited on a lot of his songs a co-writer.
      I'm 19 years old, and I know many other people my age and up who are fans of Justin Bieber.
      I do agree though that he need a couple more years to feel his way around before he starts making drastic changes. He's only been in the business for two years...maybe when he's 18-19 years old he can go for an older audience

January 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Beautiful Vixen

@ D, I hear you. Its so annoying when people write with all caps. W t f is that all about? lol

January 22, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  39. Ruth

As one of the older audience...I can't take him seriously. I look at him and see a 12 year old and then seeing that 12 year old sing "Baby, Baby, Baby"....gaahgbjmbvgovvb. 'headdesk"headdesk"headdesk'

He's like what? 16? 17? Can't he wait until a few years pass before trying to attract older people. Not all of us go for the baby look, you know...

January 22, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  40. Karen

He should shoot for the older crowd when he's older. Grow with the established fan base.

January 22, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. JD

Bad idea

January 22, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  42. D

Bieber looks like my first roomate...he use to take me to the g@y clubs all the time...

January 22, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  43. Jazzy

he will lose his tween fan base and burn out

January 22, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  44. AK-103

Wow! Dual Justins!

January 21, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Bieber_lover

I do think he should shoot for a higher audience, but slowly. If he goes to fast, he'll lose his younger fans, & especially their parents. Kinda like Miley Cyrus xD

January 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Odalice Yolanda Feliz

I'm glad he is doing well, watch-out Britney....

January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jended

I just don't get the appeal of this kid. I guess that means that I'm getting old. Oh well, guess I'll put on my dungarees and have some supper.

January 21, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  48. J

I am 18 and love JB!!

January 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jerry1331

@ Wesleigh Phelps your granddaughter will love this :D

January 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Bob

He is now shooting for the 13 year old audience instead of 12. Seriously, who the hell in their 20s is going to listen to a 16 year old and think.."Wow, this guy really understands me".

January 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I'm not gonna lie, you made me laugh.

January 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sin

Exactly! Timberlake was in his 20s and had his break-up with Spears to write about hence, "Cry Me A River". What the hell his Bieber going to write about? His hair? His teenage fans? He has nothing mature to write about because he's only 16! Haha

January 22, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Lindsay

I am 20 years of age and I love Justin Biebers music. I don't think age has anything to do with singing. Singing comes from the heart and it's apparant that JB has an awfully big heart. How do you know what he has gone through and what he has not gone through are you around him 24/7... I doubt it! At least he is doing something with his life and becoming successful I don't understand why other hate on him for that he's doing what he loves and if people love his music there's nothing you can do about it so you should really keep your cynicism to yourself because until you can sell out madison square garden in 22 minutes I don't think you have any room to talk. Justin Bieber is a BAD ASS!!! and he's gunna be huge not that he isn;t already!!!!!!! Honestly he'll probably be bigger than Britney Spears. No matter what I think I'll always enjoy listening to his music.

January 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ummm..

Okay, so he sold out Madison Square garden. That could mean very little when half of the audience are probably adult supervisors because you shouldn't send children to concerts by themselves. By the way. Taylor Swift sold that place out in 2 minutes. Britney sold it out in 10 or less on multiple tours. So, 22 minutes really isn't that impressive.

January 23, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andria. (a fan)

Okay, so who cares if he sold it out in 22 minutes? Who cares if it's not a record? Surely, no one does. Anything under a few days is impressive. I love how you all spend your time bagging on someone that you supposidly "Don't Care About". If you don't care, don't comment. There are more fans than haters.

May 15, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  51. D

Go back to class and learn about that Caps Lock key on your keyboard... typing in all caps doesn't mean anything important or necessary

January 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  52. bex bieber

i love him!! <3

January 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Daiana

LOVE U JUSTIN U LOOK HOTTTTTTTTTT AND NICE HAIR CUT LOVE IT AND LOVE U ILY LMFAO

January 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. BELLA BIEBER

I THINK JUSTIN BIEBER CAN DEFINETLY ATTRACT AN OLDER AUDIENCE BUT HAS TO DO OLDER SONGS ! HE WILL ALWAYS HAV HIS YOUNG FANS FOR LIFE AND HE HAS TO UNDERSTAND THAT BECAUSE THER IS NO TURNING BACK AFTER UR A SINGING SENSATION. U WILL NVR BE OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT. AND HE WILL NVR BE OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT FOR TWEENS AND TEEN]S SO IT WILL BE KINDA HARD AND HE WILL STILL HAV THE HYOUNG AUDIENCE BUT I THINK THT HE COULD DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

He still wants the younger audience he just wants older people to Like him too!

January 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  55. hm

He might want to aim for an older sounding voice before he tries to draw in an older audience.

January 21, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |