'American Idol's' return: What's the verdict?
January 20th, 2011

'American Idol's' return: What's the verdict?

“American Idol” returned on Wednesday night to mixed reviews.

New judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez settled into their seats nicely – perhaps a bit too nicely. Gone were the often harsh but always honest comments of the curmudgeonly judge Simon Cowell, and neither Lopez nor Tyler seemed to have it in them to be so tough.

Sean Highkin from Paste Magazine worried that the lack of Cowell might lessen the quality of contestants.

“Unfortunately, while it’s admirable that the show’s producers opted not to bring in a Simon clone, the formula simply does not work without someone willing to be an ass to kids with big dreams but no chops,” Highkin wrote. “Granted, the audition rounds are always rough at first, and Jackson, Tyler, and Lopez are still getting used to working together, but I couldn’t help but to notice how much the show’s standards are lowered with Simon out of the picture.”

Entertainment Weekly asked in a poll whether fans enjoyed the first episode, inquiring: “Will the inclusion of 15-year-olds turn 'Idol' into glorified tryouts for 'Glee'? So much to take in, but let’s bottom-line it: Did it work?”

“I liked it,” wrote a commenter named Tierra Berry. “I kinda became smitten with Steven Tyler...his accompaniment to contestants’ song[s] must make them feel better more [often] than not.”

When CNN.com asked “Can a reboot save ‘American Idol’” quite a few commenters remarked that they were reserving judgment. After the show, viewer RoscoeC gave it thumbs up.

“After last season's disastrous show, I'd given up on Idol,” he wrote. “I watched it [Wednesday night] and was knocked out. Steven Tyler is like having Adam Lambert as a host. You don't know what to expect, you're on the edge of your seat in anticipation of what may come out of his mouth."

"Die-hard" "Idol" fans and CNN iReporters Al and Roberta Mealey also loved Tyler, and CNN iReporter Nadya Alvarez said she's digging the new judges.

But not everyone dug Tyler’s schtick. According to The Hollywood Reporter, blogs were ablaze with complaints that Tyler was hitting on underaged contestants.

The story quoted the New York Times, which wrote: "The show overplayed the aging rock star’s bad boy reputation with a montage of Mr. Tyler leering and flirting with some very young and sexy female contestants — he looked too much like a long-haired version of Italy’s prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi."

Alas, for those who long for the former days of the show, there is always the website BringBackSimon.com.

1. Forex

I used to be very pleased to search out this net-site.I wished to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I positively enjoying each little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

April 1, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. johnnie f.king

I HAD MY DOUBTS, BUT I THINK JENNIFER AND STEVEN FIT RIGHT IN. I THINK STEVEN BRINGS A LOT OF HUMOR AND JENNIFER BRINGS COMPASSION. STEVEN IS ALSO VERY KIND TO THE KIDS. ALSO I LOVE RYAN GLAD HE IS BACK. THANKS.

January 24, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. whisper

Why do American tv stations continue to kick a dead horse for a few years.

January 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Katz

I didn't like Steven Tyler at first but he kind of grows on you. He has a strange face. JLo is like a beautiful angel between two devils! I miss Simon though. I will probably continue to watch as it still is rather entertaining. This show provides some excitement in my mundane life!

January 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Susan

I have only one question? For years now we've watched all this talent on Idol and other talent based shows...than why is it there are so many so called stars" being paid big bucks that have no talent????? I just don't get these shows whats the point? Sign some of these kids up instead of all the hype for the final one who won't be around long!

January 22, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Eli

FINALLY – Amercican Idol is worth watching. The chemistry between all three of the judges is just perfect. I've never had such a good time watching this show until now. JLo brings genuine true heart to the show because she is real. Tyler brings some comic relief and the Dog – brings his same ol self – the best part of the show's past. JLo and Tyler are the magic of this show. I'm 46 and a teacher of music. I am so happy for a solid American Idol. The past 4 years have been pathetic boring and felt rigged. Bringing JLo in brings true talent to judge. I am a new fan. Now, to the reporters dogging JLo. Just give it a rest. You guys are pathetic. Go get real jobs. Glad you idiots are not in charge of the show or it would still be B O R I N G and showing rotten shows.

January 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nita

I Love all of them they are doing such a good job !!I just loved the Albanian girl From Kosovo i hope she is going to be next American Idol

January 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dogs rule

What I find truly disturbing, having read some of the comments: WHY does anyone CARE this much???????????????????????????????????????????

January 21, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. bjon14

Doesn't anyone just hate this show and want to trash it? Please? Anybody?

January 21, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. J.N.

I had given up all hope for American Idol some time ago. With the annoying and contradicting rants of Kara, and the talent getting through that didn't seem to be anywhere near as great as previous seasons, I decided not to watch anymore. I did tune in for the first episode of American Idol this year and found these 3 judges are hilarious together. I laughed and enjoyed watching those auditions for once! I'm excited. But somehow, I think the excitement will die down in a few episodes...

January 21, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. Grayson

Didn't miss Simon as much as I thought I would, and it's nice to have just three judges again. Fifteen is too young to audition for AI, they just aren't equipped to handle the stress. Look forward to Hollywood week.

January 21, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. D

"I couldn’t help but to notice how much the show’s standards are lowered with Simon out of the picture.” -ummmm lower standards? It's about entertainment and always has been. They purposely (even Simon) let people through to Hollywood who weren't good singers (ahhem BIKINI GIRL). They have to have that perfect ratio of reallllly good and horrible to make the show entertaining. You don't need Simon for that!

January 21, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. melbel

I absolutely love the new judges. For one, I am a huge lover of ALL music, so I have respect for all 3 judges. They didn't seem to focus AS much on the bad singers but focused more on the talent, which I really liked. Simon Cowell was very entertaining and brought ratings but personally I respect the opinion of Steven Tyler over Simons anyday. Aerosmith has withstood the test of time and have continued to break records for years. J Lo is also a huge talent, being a triple threat and breaking records of her own. At least the judges are actual artists who know the drill. They know what works and what doesn't from pure experience of being in the spotlight. Lovin the new line-up. For anyone who doesn't watch anymore because of this – you were never a true music fan and do not appreciate what the show has to offer and what it does for those who just need to catch a break. I will NEVER stop watching!!! I support ALL of those people trying to make it big!

January 21, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. This Simon fan LOVED IT

I haven't watched the show in 2 years because the show had become stale IMO. I tuned in this year because of the new panel and I was sure I would hate it. Wrong! I absolutely loved it! Steve was hilarious, J Lo was sweet and actually gave some good advice here and there, and Randy was his usual self. In fact, I'm glad Randy is still around because he is the one connection to the original panel. I love Simon and will miss him, but I will definitely stay tuned this year. Oh, and contestant Jacee Badeaux just captured my heart!

January 21, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Gabor47

1. No TV show can last forever, none ever have.
    2. Simon's toughness in the opening rounds didn't make any difference as far as the final outcome is concerned, since the real bad ones never made it to the final stage.
    3. I find it a positive change that very little time is wasted on the totally ridiculous entries.
    4. Tyler was a good choice. He was and still is an "idol" on his own merits. Why wouldn't he know the quality difference in other singers? If anyone, he surely could tell whether X, Y or Z can sing well or not. He is new at the job, obviously a bit careful and withdrawn at this point. Give him some time, I bet he will bring an although different (from Simon), but equal feel to the show. As far as I know, he is not the kind who is mincing his words either.
    5. All the kudos to Simon (don't get me wrong, I liked him), but under his directions Idol failed to produce a worthwhile new character (a real star/idol) since what......since Daughtry? That was in 2006 and he didn't even win. It seems that even Adam Lambert got lost in the shuffle.
    6. Simon exuded the liking of somewhat conservative music. Thus the contestants tried to please HIM, by singing a somewhat, basically boring (at least to me) songs. Tyler's hard rock persona will likely to induce a different song selection to Idol. Most likely to a positive direction.

Let's see what happens. I for one pull for good music, isn't that the bottom line?

January 21, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  16. radiohost

I personally do not think Idol will make it. The formula that did work is gone. I dont think that lowering the age was a good idea. Stop copying other programs. Is the viewing age on TV that low. CAN THEY AFFORD BUYING A CAR? I also think S.TYLER was thewrong choice. I also think this is the last year for Idol. There isa huge lack of star quality talent!

January 21, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • melbel

I don't understand your comment about the viewing age being that low. I'm FAR from 15 but I really respect the younger ones going for it. When I was 15 I could have never done that!! If you love music and you respect the talent and ambition these people have, young or older, than you appreciate the show for what it is. If you just want entertainment value, like reality tv type things, then perhaps this show isn't for you anymore. No show will ever last forever but Idol has a long way to go if you ask me. They produce great talent year after year.

January 21, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  17. marlenna

American idol sucke!

January 21, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  18. Forteaneye

Loved all three of them. I do not miss the mean spirit of Simon.Randy seemed to enjoy Steven and Jennifer. I will be watching this season.

January 21, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  19. Kexessa

Keep Steven Tyler, he's awesome, boot JLo, I can't stand her and she comes off as being fake. Get another judge to replace her and maybe the show wouild have a chance. I don't miss Simon at all, most of his nastiness seemed forced and only for the cameras.

January 21, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. QuietStormX

Hey they are just starting out together. Towards the end of the premiere and second show they seemed nicer and honest with the ones they broadcast and sent to hollywood. The show is for amatures and not for the judges and snid comments like simon did. These are real artist and performers. Those looking to get their kicks off being just mean, go and enjoy your cage fighting of MMA. Plus I like the tryouts and wished they showed more and stop some of these profiles. Some look setup like plants. Just sit back and enjoy some of the singers that move you to tears like me on a few that blew me away.

January 21, 2011 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  21. Chuck

We have watched since season 1. Had our doubts. Really thought this could be the end of the show.
    Wrong!! Jennifer and Steven bring a new breathe of, yes, fresh air to the show. You have two artists that
    actually know what it takes to make it in the business. Kinder gentler Idol? Yes it is. Is that all that bad?
    I don't think so. So far so good.

January 21, 2011 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  22. JuJu

The show was better than I had expected. I don't care for j lo, but for some reason I didn't mind her too much. I just thank God that the other dip is off...and I don't mean Ellen, I mean that yawner that was a complete nobody!! What was her name, and where the hell did they dig her up from??? P.S. Please, NEVER bring her back!! : )

January 21, 2011 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  23. James

I liked it better than last year.
    Tyler was great, at least hes a musician, and a great one at that.
    J-Lo, though not the greatest singer, is still a singer.
    And Randy is a legend.
    its about time...no more Ellens etc.

January 21, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  24. pb

I watched for the first time in 3 years or so,I was not happy with the whole Paula/Ellen thing & did not care for Kara so I skipped it.Glad I watched it & will likely watch again.I liked Steven and Jennifer & Randy was his usual self.Really the only thing not good about it was them giving in to that one chicks crying hissy fit and putting her through.Hope someone toughens up some so that kind of crap doesn't happen again.

January 21, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  25. IdolMan

Not the same without Simon. The show became all fluff and lies. Never heard so many good comments in all the years the show has been on the air. Really, can everyone be so talented and make it to Hollywood?

January 21, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  26. Otis

AI is still featuring too many freaks and no talents for me. But I definitely liked Steven Tyler. Who would have thought he'd have so much personality and be so funny. And he does love the ladies and they him right back. Ah, to be a rock star, even an old one! Jennifer Lopez is good for the eyes and has a softness that I never expected. Randy is still Randy... Boring! Watched first show except for a 1/2- hour break for Modern Family. Watched Big Bang at 8;00 on Thursday and then switched to AI for last 1/2-hour. Again, too many freaks and no talents. Will stick with AI with exceptions as noted only because nothing else is on at the competing time slots that appeals to me more.

January 21, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  27. Blitz

Watched it for 15 minutes and that was to long...It;s not the same with out Simon....He made the show

January 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherri

Well, I don't know if I found it boring, but it's definitely NOT one of my favorite shows any longer...not without Simon. He could spot talent a mile away, and at the same time, spot an imposter from the same distance. He was harsh when he NEEDED to be; but if you all remember, he could easily dish out a golden compliment if it was deserved....but only if it was deserved. These three are just too NICE. And some of the 'talent?' No. I saw a bunch of teeny boppers get put through. If that keeps up, I probably wouldn't be too interested in watching anymore.

January 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. mac379

Bring back Simon, drop JLo she can find another way to pay off her hubby's taxesLOL!

January 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Annie

Simon who?... I can't get enough of the new judging panel. LOVED IT!! Looking forward to a great season of Idol!! I've watched every season and I loved Simon, but they won me over and I was very skeptical going in. What a fantastic surprise. The chemistry between Jennifer, Randy and Stephen is the perfect mix. I'm sure they'll get tougher when it comes down to the nitty gritty and I can't wait to see who the finalists will be!

January 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • judy

I appreciated Simon's insight but the whole show was getting old. I really enjoyed both shows (Wed/Thurs).It was refresing and fun. Steven was right on the mark with his comments, he was funny and lively. J-Lo will hopefully act more like a judge than a den mother as she goes along. Randy is the same. He could be more critical. All together they had good chemistry and looked like they were having fun, so thats contagious. I had fun too and look forward to more. Hey, some contestants were great!!! Its a talent show for singers and thats what I want to hear, good voices, no matter the genre.

January 20, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  30. love aerosmith

Love love loved it!!! I think its going to be even better now!!!! love randy steven and jennifer . always have loved aerosmith so excited to watch again tonight!!!

January 20, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  31. JD

The show was great. And we plan to watch again tonight.
    And there are contestants put
    through every year that shouldn't go through, so what. Steve and Jennifer did great and will toughen up once they settle in. The change was good.
    We will miss Simon & Ellen but Jennifer Lopez is a joy to watch and Steve was great. A refreshing change.

January 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Tom

Since it wasn't produced by CNN, it's a success.

January 20, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bookenz

I do miss Simon – they need someone to honestly say THAT WAS HORRENDOUS.

January 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Kenny Ray

I hated last year. Thought I'd give it another try for the new season. Steven Tyler had me laughing all night. Funny as hell and not at all pretentious. J-Lo is more beautiful than ever and Randy is middle ground. I enjoyed it!

January 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Neil n Kansas

Ive never been an Idol Fan especially even when I was rejected season 5....oh well....I'm still sang'n my songz....

January 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Daddoo

Simon who?

January 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. yoly

I loved the show last night. Pleasantly surprised how sweet JLo is, how funny Steve is and same ol Randy. I will not miss Simon.He was disrespectful and it as all about him and his arrogant self. It's about the contestants and the new judges know that. It is going to be fun to watch again. Looking forward to an awesome season!

January 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  38. vincent

I loved it. Thank goodness Ellen is gone. I have watched 8 of last 9 seasons. Yes I had a little prob with JLo not being able to say no. Lol. Usualy I would love that in a woman. Lol. And yes I love Glee also. And no I am not gay. If I was I would be the General of the California National Guard.....

January 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Hooked on Phonics

Seriously folks? The only thing I'm appalled at is the downright atrocious spelling in here... Come on, really? Is the general public really this poorly educated?

Advice – spend less time watching Idol, and MUCH more time learning to read / write...

January 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zutopia

Perhaps some folks are undereducated, however, at least most of them know how to stay on topic.

January 20, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • LadyDae

Appalled...really? This is a blog about a television show...not a trip to the National Library of Congress. If you require deeper intellectual stimulation, take your own advice and read...something else. Geez...

January 20, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Zutopia

Umm, for all those complaining about Simon's rudeness....what on Earth do you people think made the show popular to begin with???

Here is my assessment after the first show:
    Randy: Ok judge but growing very tired of the 'Yo Dog' factor.
    J-LO: Worthless! If you can't tell people NO then what is the friggin point of being a judge??? (Oh yeah, money).
    Steven Tyler: Cool guy but he is out of his element on this show. He came from one of the top ROCK bands of all time. What is he doing in the POP arena?

Overall rating: Epic Fail.

January 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Pat

I thought it was terrific. They were a great team and had fun. Definitely tuning in tonight.

January 20, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Billy

Randy needs to pull more of Simon's gestures if they (the producers), are gonna leave him on the show. Come on Randy, MAN UP! As for Tyler and JLO, let them hang themselves...they're doing a goiiod job!

January 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Walker

Loved last night and am watching tonight! I thought it was awesome! I love the new panel J-lo and steven were awesome! Also love the younger crowd and talent. Not just because I'm a teen either. Will keep watching!=)

January 20, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Joi

It sucked the 5 minutes I watched did!! Tyler looked like an old woman with too much plastic surgery hitting on teenagers so that made it more stranger!! So that was sickening along with the show... Plus JLo can barely sing herself so why is she a judge I'm still trying to figure out!! Oh well I won't be watching it anymore so it doesn't matter.

January 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • peachez2

Joi, you and the others who say Jennifer can't sing are idiots. So they give multi platinum albums to people who can't sing, right? Idiotic people buy records from people who can't sing, right? She's a triple threat. She can sing, dance, and act, and I'm so fed up of idiots like yourself who probably never had any talent and never will, yet you keep criticizing someone who has all of that. Someone who is on TV, film, and I don't know where else. She has star power. She's beautiful, gorgeous, and multi talented. So to you and the other idiots, please stop posting these lame comments about how JLo shouldn't be a judge. You just confirm that you are morons and idiots. It's like criticizing an author of 10 books and saying he shouldn't judge an upcoming author of a children's story. Geez, give it a rest, will ya?

January 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. John

OK I watched it. But who is going to be the one that tells a contestant that their performance sucked? You have three nice judges and no hard bold faced honest one among them!

January 20, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  46. San

I’m trying to give Jennifer Lopez the benefit of the doubt but it really killed me when she stated that she has a problem saying “no” to the contestants. She did not have any problem saying no to me in a very sarcastic manner a couple of years ago when I attended the same event as her at the United Nations. I politely asked if I could take a photo with her and she went ballistic. She outright said, “NO that she did not have the time to do so” and talked down to me like if she were a queen. My work colleagues noticed how she spoke to me and were also shocked to see that side of her. I lost complete respect for her since that day. I decided to give Idol a try and was surprised to see how sweet she portrayed herself. Not the Jennifer that I came across.

January 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jended

I didn't get the impression that he was hitting on underage contestants. I get the feeling that he likes them young, but not that young. The man has daughters and it seemed to me that he was trying to give them courage with compliments. None of his compliments were creepy. I remember that he told a few girls that they were pretty or were dressed well. I didn't get creeped out by it and I have excellent creep-dar.

January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Mel

I almost turned the TV last night. And not because of Steven Tyler and JLO themselves – I adore them as artists – I am fans of theirs. But last night they should that they have no business judging American Idol. 51?! 51 people put through?!?! For New Jersey?! Uhh...no, I don't think so. I have been watching the show since the fifth season and I don't remember ever seeing more than 30 people put through in a city. The majority of the people they showed being put through on last nights episode were appalling! Mediocre at best and Simon – HELL – even Paula would never have let them leave those doors with a golden ticket! Last night – I saw four people – FOUR people that went through that deserved to go through. Only FOUR. And then the producers parade around six other people like they are awesome – and so do the judges! And what was up with that crazy crying girl who begged the judges to put her through?! She liked cried and begged and looked absolutely ridiculous and the judges gave in! uuuugggh – that was the moment – right there – when I almost changed the channel. Unacceptable. Simon would never have gave into such begging. She was a HORRIBLE singer! She has no business going to hollywood! Get it together Judges! Your top 12 better be the best! Or I'm done with the show! *SIGH* Only 8 more months till X-Factor...only 8 more months till X-Factor. And I can't believe I missed Paula's 'Live to Dance' for that crappy episode either.

January 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Lenora simmons

American idol is certainly not the same without simone; however steven does bring something to the table. (only if he would not hit on young contestants! J-LO does not have a good enough voice to critique anyone let alone fresh wanna be singers. Randy really don't have a voice he just goes along with the flow!! Im going to watch a few more shows and make my determination then.......

January 20, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • This Simon Fan LOVED IT

Since when do you have to be a good singer to judge good voices? That's like saying you have to be a gourmet chef to know if good food tastes good. Keep in mind that neither Simon, Paula, Randy, or Ellen had great voices. It's all about recognizing talent and potential, and knowing what it takes to make it in this business. All 3 judges are more than qualified.

I actually stopped watching the show 2 years ago but tuned in because of the new panel. I absolutely LOVED it! Steve was hilarious, J Lo compassionate but honest, and Randy was well.... Randy. I will definitely stay tuned this year.

January 21, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  50. peachez2

I did not watch for the last two seasons as I had gotten bored, plus I never liked Kara (no offence) and didn't think Ellen was a fit. I'm glad they're gone. I decided to give it a try last night and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. I however have a few comments and reservations.
    Steven Tyler is wonderful and energetic and spontaneous. Love that. He does have to turn down the flirting, and the singing along with the contestants. We need to hear them sing, on their own! He also has to be more firm in saying no.
    Randy has to grow some. He is the veteran in the show now, and should not be afraid to stick to his guns and say no. It's like he's afraid of being termed the bad guy, so even if he says no, he allows himself to be persuaded by the other two and therefore changes his vote. Randy, you're the Dawg man! Let them respect your opinion even if it opposes theirs.
    J-Lo is so sweet. She's a mixture of Paula and herself! What I mean is you're seeing her knowledgeable, professional side, but also that sweetness of Paula. She doesn't want to start off the first show by dissing the young talent, but be patient with her cause I'm sure that will soon change after a couple more episodes of those terrible singers. She'll soon be saying no much more.
    All in all I think it's going to be a good season. While I do miss Simon, it's not the show that was getting boring, it's Simon who was getting bored, so he was passing on his feelings onto us the watching audience. It is good that he left if he was no longer happy there. The show can survive without him, once people get more familiar with the new team, who does have chemistry together.
    I wish Simon all the best. Don't diss him people. He was good at what he did, but some people know when it's time to move on. He did. You should too.

January 20, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • peachez2

Forget to clarify what I meant concerning J-Lo and Paula as it seems to imply Paula was not knowledgeable and professional. Paula was all that, but also had that ability to be incoherent yet still sweet. She used to make us feel she was confused at times, or maybe she was, I don't know. But that's the difference with J-Lo. She doesn't have that behaviour, but all are sweet and I still love and miss my dear Paula. Love J-Lo though.

January 20, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Lauren

I liked Steven's antics and Jennifer's professionalism and of course Randy, as always – was actually pleasantly surprised. However, my gripe is with the producers – it seems as if this was sooo scripted – meaning that the contestants you gave their "stories" (the little poor twin, the girl whose father recovering from throat cancer, etc) were the ones that always made it through – sooooo determined in advance -sooooo "scripted" I don't know if I will continue watching if the spontaneity is gone.

January 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  52. mike

This show is not the same without Simon. Thanks dawg but I'll have to pass

January 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Lilo Moaroni

Total crap, JLo is worthless

January 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  54. DAVID Shapiro

who's the woman on the left? Steven Tyler was a guy

January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Linda

Day one and already JLO needs to go. What's with that whiney "I don't know what to do" and "this is so hard" furrowed brow? Make a decision already.

January 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  56. JAHulet

Loved it. Loved Steven (fun) and J Lo (sweet). They both have their own opinion. Now they just need to replace Randy. Last night was much better than the first night of previous seasons.

January 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Carol Costello

Without Simon the show is a big Bore and a mess. The judges look freaky. Lopez voice squeaks when she talks. I will wait for XFactor with Simon.

January 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  58. sue Drymon

I have always been a fan.I loved it I Thank they done a great job.

January 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Bob

Fool yourself all you want with OLD (not "aging") rock star, self satisfied diva and been there done that Randy, this show beyond BOOOOOOORRRRIIIIIG!

January 20, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  60. opposition13

Anything that has Jenniffer Lopez I refuse to watch. The talking finger from the little boy from "THE SHINNING" is more entertaining than her. BOOOOOO! Get her out of there!

January 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  61. jek

Judges lacked any enthusiasm!

January 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Genie

I loved the show. No wishy-washy Paula. Simon was usually on target with his comments (both good and bad) but he wasn't the whole show and this new panel proves that. I think the interaction was phenomenal. My friends and I never laughed so much at the panel's reaction to some of the "singers". I got quite a kick out of J-Lo's discomfort when she had to tell a contestant NO but by the 2nd day she had gotten it more together and was able to do so without cringing so much. I keep hearing this will probably be the last season. I so hope the critics are wrong. I really, really, really enjoyed last night and can't wait to watch tonight

January 20, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Bobbie

I watched the first hour on American Idol then switched to my favorite show Modern Family. I do like Steven and Jennifer as judges. The chemistry works well with Randy and they will make a great trio. I thought I would miss Simon but to my surprise I did not. It is nice to not hear Paula or Kara, they were both annoying to me. Smart move on FOX to let those two go.

January 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  64. barb

Too bad they couldn't have snagged Steven Tyler for at least one year when they also had Simon Cowell. It would have been an awesome combo. I believe the beginning of the end of this show was when Kara was hired a couple years ago. Hopefully, they can bring back some of the lustre, but i do feel Randy Jackson is way too weak to be the lead judge. Sorry to say, he never has had charisma. Steven and Jennifer would be better than him. Already. (!)

January 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  65. sally

This show is going to be nothing without Simon. Steven Tyler is so REPULSIVE to look at that I had to turn the channel
    and will not be able to watch Idol with him on it. The Middle and Modern Family are much more appealing. Too bad no one
    could come up with anyone better than this for judges. He is not only revolting to look at, but he acts like a fool. Puke.

January 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Curtis

Steven was kind of annoying to me...he's really loud.

January 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Kevin

This show "jumped the shark" two years ago but rather then departing gracefully, we get to watch the inevitable downward spiral with the same macabre facination as a train wreck.

January 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Jwinn

I loved Steven Tyler and JLo. It was a welcome change after last season which was a dissappointment after the prior season. I couldn't wait to see what Tyler would do/say. JLo was so sweet. She does need to learn to say no. Looking forward to tonight.

January 20, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  69. lnf

I enjoyed the show. Better than when Simon was there but the panel got a little pitchy toward the end.

January 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  70. sarah palin

Steven Tyler???? I thought it was Joan Rivers.

January 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  71. thingsnstuff

Westboro Church at it again. This time its a dead actor. http://sportsmansdaily.com/afterdark/?p=430

January 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  72. the_dude

There is one ugly black dude, one hot chick, and one fugly chick.

January 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Mike

I have to say I liked Tyler and J-Lo. I had not really seen Lopez in a while, and kind of forgot how smokin' hot she is. She seemed very nice as well, but I don't know if that's good for the show. In any event, the easy on the eyes and ears Lopez gets my vote. Tyler too, but for obviously different reasons.

January 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  74. David B.

Tyler rocked, and was very funny. A great choice to get him. JLo needs to pick up the pace; hopefully she'll settle in. Randy is.....well, same ol' Randy.

January 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  75. CalitoPhila

I love the new panel. Refreshing to watch Tyler interaction with contestants and Lopez is cute as she finds a way to say no. Lovin it!

January 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Lois

I liked the show I got so tired of Simon that I quit watching the second season and Steven Tyler is awesome and JLo is a real treat I thought she would have been the new simon but she was not anywhere close. I thought I would give the show a second chance now that its different and I am glad I did. Too bad survivor has chosen wednesday nights too as their new night because that is when my viewship will decrease, sorry Idol but I may still watch since its on multiple nights and they basically replay alot the second night.

January 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Aaron

Simon was the show, period. Without him, there is absolutely nothing. The shark has been jumped and the skier has landed safely on the other side.

January 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  78. tw8746

Loved it! I wasn't going to watch this year, but happen to fall on the channel, and I think it's going to be amazing...love Steve Tyler...always loved Randy, and I am shocked I actually liked JLo!! It's going to better than I thought!

January 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Rachel

I skipped Idol the last couple of years because it was getting old. Love Ellen but knew she wasn't a fit for this type of show. J-Lo, Tyler and Randy have real possibilties. Enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. I think 15 inclusion is a little young but that's the trend in show business these days. I liked the fact they showed us more talent and loved the backstories. That really added to the feel of the show.

January 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  80. MrMynor

I'm on the fence as to whether I think the revamped panel will work or not. With all due respect to JLo and Steven Tyler, who have both enjoyed monumental success in the industry, I really didn't feel like there was much value in the job they did. I think Simon was frequently the voice of reason, and that his harsh criticism often helped contestants more than it hurt them in the long run. I don't see anyone here that is willing or able to play that role. The reality is that critics are harsh, and in order to survive in the entertainment industry you have to develop a thick skin. Simon knew that, and he saw to it that the contestants understood that as well. This year it just seems like they are going through the motions.

January 20, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Redcarpet Downthere

Ruby take your plastic wannabe oscar trophy of your breakfast nook and insert it in your rectum.

January 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  82. danw

There have been some AWFUL contestants that made it to the final group while Simon was there. Let's not get carried away. Remember Sanjaya?

January 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  83. diane

Loved it! It was fresh and new and will only get better as judges settle in their new roles. And how a singer translates in person and on tv can be two different things. After editting and everything, no one watching really knows how these auditions really went unless yiu were there! So to judge talent based on what little they showed you on tv – please how stupid could you be?

January 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Melissa

I didn't watch American Idol until Season 9, so I guess I missed out on the formal glory that people rave about. But I thought last nights auditions were funny.

January 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Suzi

I actually thought it was better than what I expected. I think Tyler flirting with girls young enough to be his granddaughters was a turn-off!!

January 20, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Debra

First adding Steven Tyler was brialliant. Next if one more naive person acts like J Lo sings like Celion I will faint. She adds nothing to this show. She's Paula...CAN"T SING but can dance. Diddy gave her a career in exchange for a@...end of story. Randy genuinely luvs music so he stays. I miss Simon but Steven made the show for me. I luv rock. Oh Steven do tone down the remarks on the UNDERAGE girls! hahahaha Just say " She has the look" because ugly won't make it in the industry anyway....correct J Lo? Singin gisn't a REAL requirement hahaha

I have problem with the melodramatic stories. All these parents pinning their hopes and dreams on teens and Idol? Give me a break. Most of these kids won't make it in the cut throat music industry. I have no problem with them pursuing their dreams BUT be realistic and get your butts in school or stay there. If my daughters idiolized J Lo I would have a serious problem. She represents nothing but making herself richer.

I miss Simon already and plan to watch his show and Oprah's Masetr Class with him. Oh I LUV Oprah's Behind the Scenes Shows. When her and Gayle get together it sooooo funny! More road trips O hahahaha

January 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Shirley

I miss the old days, but honestly things were getting sort of stale on Idol the last year or so. I like the new guys and already a HUGE fan of Steven Tyler. Also I think we will see a side of Jennifer Lopez that is most endearing. I have not really watched her in person and I was really charmed at what seemed to be sincere kindness. I will keep watching this season. : )

January 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  88. paula

Will get better as the judges settle in.Miss SIMONS TIGHT BUNS.LOL

January 20, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  89. FRAN

I thought it was pretty good last night I have been watching since day one and i think after last years fiasco with the chemisrty of the judges this years judges will bring new life to the show. J-Lo was a great choice and Tyler is priceless! Randy will always be randy King of the "Dog" pound! I think they just may have gotten it right this year. Good riddens to kara and Ellen was a big dissapointment. I loved Simon but it was time for new blood I will be watching!

January 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  90. JAK

I was also pleasantly surprised, and the singers did seem more relaxed. Tyler, Jackson and Lopez seem to have a good connection. It works. I'm glad. I'll miss Simon, but the show must go on.

January 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Blue

I miss Paula. She had a way in making the singers feel good about themselves. J-LO I don't think so. She is too self-centered. I did like Tyler

January 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  92. meadow muffin

Ahhhh it was great to see actual performers judging the talent...Simon was such a bore...so predictable...Steve rocked it.

January 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Tom Brucw

I watched until the Frank Sinatra wanna-be started singing "My Way." Then I turned out for the rest of the season. Bye, bye, A.I.

January 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Carrie U

I thought the new judge line-up was great. The judges seemed as excited about their new roles as the contestants were about auditioning.
    Need to switch things up every now and then to keep it interesting.

January 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Lass

Didn't think I would like it, but found it very entertaining !!

January 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Mark G

I'll reserve judgement until Hollywood week is over and the final contestants are determined. Only then will we really know how good the new judging panel is at spotting talent, or not. Not so sure I like the 15 year-old inclusion. I would rather have seen them raise the limit on aging out.

January 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Ron31

Well what a long wait for IDOL to return.I have been watching IDOL from the 1st season and although Steven is no Simon he was entertaining and as for Jennifer,well she reminds me of Paula trying to be nice and not telling people no. I will continue to watch though as I'm a fan of Steven Tyler and Jenny from the block is just plain fine. Mark Anthony is a lucky guy to be married to her.

January 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  98. louis

People over the age of 14 still watch this show? I should hope witha new decade we'd rid ourselves of the miedocrity that has always been American Idiot, opps, American Idol.

January 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Zepplyn

I was prepared to hate last night's show, not being a fan of J-Lo and thinking Mr. Tyler was wasting his time, but I actually found I liked it more than the last 2 seasons. Tyler is funny and refreshing, Randy is talking more and being a bit more serious this season, and J-Lo will eventually learn to just say no. As far as them letting people through who wouldn't have made it in past seasons, don't worry, those people will be gone by the end of Hollywood week – That's what it's for.

January 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  100. JK

BORING! Judges have no character any more. Idol is now dead. Was fun while it lasted. Where's that new show Simon is on?

January 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  101. RobD

I'm glad they didn't try to give us a poor imitation of Simon – that wouldn't have worked, but they haven't changed the show enough. More celebrities, less contestants.

I've seen that format in other countries and loved it – where the show brought in real music acts almost every week, and there was much more in the way of interaction between contestants and real acts. The long and short of it, is you got to see famous acts every week, and didn't just have to laugh at talentless wanna-be's.

January 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Slam

Actually thought I'd hate it, but it's ok. Jenny from the Hood needs to toughen up a bit, but overall I thought it was a good first night. Randy seems somewhat lost in the clutter, since he rarely seems very insightful, but I think these three will sort it out and end up with some serious talent to judge. Remember, they have to have a certain number of people make it through, but some of them will never even leave the bus!

January 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Superfan

I absolutely loved it! I thought the new team worked very well together. They gave good critiques when they needed to. I felt that Steven Tyler was really involved and listening when he would close his eyes and focus. It was especially fun when he and J. Lo got involved with the performances. I will agree that some of his comments toward the younger females were a bit off color and he'll have to watch that. I look forward to a great season! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Idol's back...!

January 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  104. TRISH

I lasted 10 minutes maybe???? Steven Tyler lately looks like he needed to be sprayed down – he just looks so unhealthy to me. wrinkley and nasty. And I really like(d) Aerosmith in the past. I think I will just stay caught up on the show via friends and the internet.

January 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  105. JR

Simon who?? J-Lo is adorable and Steve is funny as hell. Their just might be a couple more years of Idol.

January 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  106. stayoutofthefray

I've never posted before – but this banter caught my attention, as did last night's Idol. I had no intention of watching, much less liking what I saw. Steven Tyler was surprisingly FUNNY and added a dimension the show had not seen. Jlo compassionate and Randy the glue. Two thumbs up and a new fan!

January 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Lauren

I felt like they wasted too much time on one person. After ten seasons, I'm bored of horrid singers getting 15 seconds of fame. Not to mention that the judges are allowing people through when they clearly do not deserve it. Where is Simon Cowell?! Bring him back!

January 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Dad with Taste

This show sould have been canceled after the first season. Done and done.

January 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  109. kjtbug

I hated it. Bottom line is that it is just not the same without Simon. I will not be watching it anymore this season and I have been a loyal fan since day one.

January 20, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Donna

Idol lost me several seasons ago but Modern Family has a new fan.

January 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  111. truthhurts

Tyler comes across as a pedophile, cannot stand watching with him on it. His comments made me cringe...ewwww

January 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  112. albert

Someone has to be there to speak the truth.. Simon is sorely missed.. He was the entertainment in the audition rounds... now its just jokers singing and lopez and tyler Smiling... Steve tyler is too big for this show... i wonder what he is doing here anyways!!!

January 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Mello

I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! The new judges were a breath of fresh air. I liked how the interacted with the Idol hopefuls and with each other. I really liked the past cast of judges but it was time for a change!

January 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  114. martyvb

A role model (if that is what he is) should at the very least know how to speak proper English. Someone tell Tyler that when describing how a singer sings is an adverb. He constantly says they sing beautiful. Come on, even a ten year old knows they sing beautifully.

January 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

Grammar aside, who ever said that Steven Tyler is a role model...are you kidding?

January 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Goddog

Stephen Victor Tallarico (Tyler) is Italian... It's mobster talk... Get outta here you!

January 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  115. mark in nyc

the 2 new show how irrelevance of the carryover from years past. in short, ditch randy and his attempts to recapture his ownyouth, importance and talent.

January 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Paula

The show overall has won my vote, however, I was a little disappointed that some of the singers who are flat, middle of the road cover bar talent worthy were allowed to make it to Hollywood. The show for me was refreshing and funny and I will definately be watching the rest of the season. I liked them more than I will ever wish for Simon's rude senseless opinion to be back bashing young people with unnecessary tactless jabs. Maybe the business of it all is harsh, but there is no reason to personally attack these kids as Simon did. It was definately entertaining!

January 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • MMM

Is that you, Abdul?!

January 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • dali56

Even if some middle of the road singers make it to Hollywood, they can be weeded out at that point, and then it will be up to the viewers after that. I think it is better to let a few extra make in, sometimes they will be surprising later on. The try-outs are a long and tiresome event and the contestants are quite nervous. If you remember, Simon was a little hesitant about Adam Lambert because he felt his singing was too theatrical; and even if you don't like Adam's style you have to admit he can sing.

January 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  117. jillmarie

I feel they let a few people go through to Hollywood that never would have in the past. Steven is funny though, I've always been a J.Lo fan- I'm sure they will toughen up as they get used to judging.
    We all must accept Simon's gone- let's embrace the reboot cuz we don't have a choice! I'm glad Randy's still there. I do miss the original 3. Oh well!

January 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Pat NY

It was as bad a typical J-lo movie! American Idol is done for me!

January 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Kevin

Did we all watch the same show!? I thought Steven Tyler was hilarious, Randy actually has a voice this year and J-Lo...while a bit soft...was authentic, and will only get better. The show is fresh again.

January 20, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  120. sally

Loved Steven Tyler. While I know some of Aerosmith's songs, I have never followed them. But he was funny and real.
    Jennifer doesn't bring much, Randy, well he waits to see what ever the other judges say before he committs, wats new?

January 20, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Meesh

I loved last nights show but I have to say that Steven Tylers high notes were getting annoying.. Yes, we know that he is a Rock star and he can hit it, but it got to be too much

January 20, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  122. cheefsfury

IT WAS STILL PRETTY BAD BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY THAT ONE WOMAN WITH THE SCARVES STEVIE WAS A BIG P00N HOUND SHE KEPT HITTING ON ALL THOSE YOUNG GIRLS IT WAS ABIT UNAPROTIONAL

January 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • MMM

OKAY THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

January 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

You should probably take the time to proof read your comments and perhaps dig out a dictionary.

I was prepared to hate the show but, I was surprised it wasn't horrible. Some people got through that Simon wouldn't have voted through but then he turned down some people that had talent. I will watch again.

January 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Diana Gardner

Steve Tyler is hilarious! How can you not love the guy? He's straight up like Pierce Morgan but not rude like Simon Cowell. I love it when he sings those high notes, he's a rock star, come on... Just roll with it! He is the life of the party! He's got my vote! Jennifer will soon learn to say, "NO!" Come on Jen, we are counting on you! It's about "talent" not "talent wanna be's!" I love how Steve barks and howls at Randy, "the dog!" How can you not laugh? Mo-betta panel!

January 20, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Yvonne

I like the three. We'll see more as Jennifer L. and Steve T. get more comfortable in their roles. At least the hurtful comments aren't there anymore. Nice to have another expertise of rock amongst them. He does give a perspective that compliments the other two.

January 20, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pedro Sanchez

Yes because lying to someone and tell them they are good and talented is the right thing to do....This will end up being a butt kissing fest where "Yo Dogg Randy" ends up looking like he's mean compared to the other two.

January 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Jacob

I hated it. I've watched American Idol for the last 9 seasons and ended up turing the channel about 30min through to watch Modern Family. Won't be watching it anymore, unless they end up having some really good talent in the Hollywood rounds.

January 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JM

I'd believe you, except Modern Family wasn't on last night.

January 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pedro Sanchez

Jacob....Man up and watch something a little less gey. The only thing i saw as I was flipping thru channels was Steven Tyler looking alot like someone's grandmother who had too much plastic surgery. As for the show Jacob you need to move on to other entertainment not intended for teenage girls and lonely housewives.

January 20, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

JM,

Know what you are talking about before you post. Modern Family WAS on last night. New Episode. I DVR'd it while watching Idol and watched it after Idol went off...

January 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • theresa

Uh, I turned the channel to Modern Family, too. It was on.

January 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MMM

@JM According to ABC.com, Modern Family was on last night at 9pm. Give the furry werewolf a break, now.

January 20, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Modern Family was on last night JM, just like it is every Wednesday.

January 20, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • WOWWWW.......

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!? how can you say that! That sixteen year old from North Carolina gave me the goosebumps! She was TERRIFIC! I can't wait for next weeks show!

January 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

Well I don't know how so many of us watched Modern Family last night if it wasn't on. I watched it too and it was hilarious!!!

January 20, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

Yes, I agree with you. I too thought it was terrible but will watch again tonight because I think maybe I should give it a chance.

And as to JM.....Modern Family was on last night as I too watched that. My DVR makes it so easy.

January 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • cloudnine

I could not stomach this show for even 5 mins. What a joke. Can't wait till X-FACTOR.

January 20, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alice

Modern Family was, indeed, on last night. I stopped watching Idol to watch the show.

January 20, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • LadyDae

I lasted only 15 mins...couldn't believe the "talent" that got through to hollywood. It definitely was a "kinder, gentler" show, but not at all interesting!! Agree with you Jacob...Idol would need some really great talent later in hollywood or later in the season to get me to watch. Sad, because the try-outs were my favorite part of the show.

January 20, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • debbie

too bad you don't like change because this one is definitey a change for the better. they will settle in very nicely but you have to give change a chance. modern family? really? and yet you don't like crap tv? LOL No matter, there will be plenty of viewers and you will no doubt miss out on a good season. Loved the new lineup and can't wait for this to get going!

January 21, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Dennnis

Lukewarm. I agree that Idol is first and foremost a "singing" talent show and the crop this year is not impressive at all. J LO and Tyler are still trying to feel thier way through as judges with him flirting with 15 year olds and her giving away passes to Hollywood like they come with a Mc Donalds happy meal. Randy is playing Ed Mc Mahon this year trying to lead, prompt and set up the others, even having to tell Steven when to vote. JLo is having trouble breaking people's hearts and dreams, Tyler is trying to be diplomatic as a rocker can be and the show hinges on the talent pool which is very below par thus far making us wish Simon was around to entertain us with his witty remarks until someone comes through the side doors that impresses us. Not happening yet.....

January 21, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  126. Ralph

The best 3 one with great bussines since , one with endurance as a performer , one thats loved by all and still has a big heart ! How could you go wrong ?!

January 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

Ralphie, you make no sense.

January 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam S

Outstanding, I have seen maybe 5 shows in the 9-10 years. Well I watched last night because of Steven Tyler. My friends and I have never watch but 5 show total. We will watch from now on and YES I loved Steven. He is so hilarious also. As for Jennifer Lopez she is great. It has to be hard to tell someone their dreams need to be redirected. She has a heart. Randy YOU are wonderful. Keep Steven on and I will pass the word about how wonderful this show is. Thank You for making some changes it has paid off.

January 20, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steverino

Lay off the booze, Ralph. We're serious readers here.

January 21, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Devara

Ralph, is English your first language?

January 21, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • MetalMom

I watched with an open mind...I knew nothing could be as abd as the Ellen/Cara/Simon combo.....

I was pleasantly surprised.......NO drama here....Just honesty and civility......

These jusdges are a good fit....... Randy dropped all the goofy "Dawg" crap......Tyler was very genuine in his remarks and not rockstar God at all......J Lo was sweet and had it together.....

It is a winning group and should be a great Idol season....

January 23, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |