Steven Tyler makes the rounds for 'Idol'
January 19th, 2011

Steven Tyler makes the rounds for 'Idol'

“American Idol” starts its 10th season tonight and new judge Steven Tyler is making the rounds sharing his special brand of energy.

In a conference call on Tuesday he joked with reporters while talking about the difficulty in judging young talent and opening up on his experiences so far on the show.

He said he had no apprehensions about coming on board as judge, and didn’t feel like he had to forge an identity on the panel given his identity as the lead singer of Aerosmith.

“The part that is a little difficult is judging young kids, 'cause I think they all have a voice, [and] to actually be open and honest,” he said. “It took me a couple of minutes to grow accustom[ed] to it but it’s fun. I get to sit next to J.Lo with Randy taking the you-know-what out of everyone; you know, it’s been good.”

Tyler said he continues to work with his famed band and is juggling his rock career with his duties on the show. “What you hear in the press about Aerosmith getting in the way of ‘American Idol,’ it just isn’t so,” he said.

Indeed, in a surprise appearance on Howard Stern’s Sirius XM radio show Tuesday, Tyler revealed that the band is supposed to get together this weekend to rehearse – although it sounds like they’ll be doing it without bandmate Joe Perry (who has shown disdain for Tyler’s career move, calling it “one step above ninja turtles”).

"We're gonna get in a room together and write some [expletive]. Tom, Joey, Brad will be there. Joe is Missing in action,” Tyler said, according to Rolling Stone. “I texted him 20 minutes ago. 'Hey Joe: Where are you?' He's angry with me for what? Because I took [expletive] ‘Idol? What a crock of [expletive]."

Tyler explained that things have been tense since he took a year off to battle Hepatitis C, which he revealed he was dealing with in 2006.

“It was beyond hell," he said. “Three months in, my wife left me for being unfaithful on the road. All these things it just crippled me, wore me down."

At that point, Tyler began using drugs again. That 2009 fall from a stage in South Dakota? Drugs had something to do with it, Tyler said.

"I was using and fell off the stage," he told Stern. "I was snorting [expletive] Lunesta. I got 19 stitches, broke my shoulder. No one in the band called me for 27 weeks. It about killed me. I'm Italian so it almost took me down…Joe didn't come visit me."

But Joe Perry hasn't been Tyler's only critic. Kid Rock told Entertainment Weekly that Tyler is “a sacred American institution of rock 'n roll, and he just threw it all out the window.”

Tyler responded to Billboard that “Kid Rock was there when we went to the White House [on Dec. 5 to perform during the Paul McCartney tribute at the Kennedy Center Honors]. I looked at him and said, ‘You know what, man, I'm not going to argue with you. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.’”

In a Tuesday night appearance on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" (on which he did a killer performance of "Walk This Way" with Fallon and the Roots), Tyler said his "Idol" duties are a lot different from his rock and roll lifestyle. He now rises at 6 or 6:30 a.m. in order to be on the set by mid-morning.

"I got to get up three hours before," he told Fallon. "I've got to find my personality, have a cup of coffee at least."

1. tony

thinking idol is not the best move for tyler – the show is the opposite of aerosmith, and rock & roll for that matter!!!

January 20, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shane

Joe is jealous. Aerosmith hasn't been a "serious" band for decades, they're all sellouts. Which is fine, I like money, too. Joe just shouldn't be whining about Steven selling out after the entire band had a hit song from "Armageddon", quite possibly the stupidest and corniest movie ever. Now THAT'S one step above Ninja Turtles.

January 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. rusty nail

Fences might need to be mended but it isn't anybody else's choice but Steve Tyler's to do what he wants with his career. Perry & "Kid Rock" back off. Make music when it's time to make music collaborate but I don't know why a permission slip is needed for Tyler to what he wants that positively affects his life. Tyler you did a great job on Idol last night. Keep straight, honest, work hard and you will be rewarded more than you could ever imagine. Perry and Rock if you can't play with the big dogs stay on the porch.

January 20, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Denise

I wasn't sure what to expect but I loved the new judges. I've always been a Tyler fan and didn't think I'd like J Lo but I did. Tyler is so funny, she was sweet but not in a nutty Paula way and Randy was better than ever. I can't wait to see tonights show. I know my husband wanted to hate Tyler because I love him so much but he came away loving him too.

January 20, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rob J

Hey Evel! think you bumped your head.Dont forget your helmet.

January 20, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. catey

U rock steve loved u on idol tonight

January 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kim

J. Lo is way overrated. Tyler is amazing! I watched Idol tonight and when someone is singing that he likes, you see how he tunes into them and feels their energy.

January 19, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kwallen6364

Steven tyler and areosmith are rock gods. the greatest by far

January 19, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Evel Kneivel

Tyler has sold what small amount of dignity he had left. He looks like an old lady too.

January 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

Steven Tyler – A great choice for a judge. But WHY is JLo there? She can dance, but she can barely sing. I'll admit that she's a more logical choice than Ellen, but come on. She's way too overpaid and underqualified.

January 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Muse

If you look back at the original concept for Idol, the three judge panel served separate functions. One for musical talent, another for style and performance, and a third for marketability. Randy remains the one to assess musical chops (pitch, vocal strength, etc.) and now Jennifer and Steven combine to rate style and "produceability."

January 20, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |