Hef strikes back at Ricky Gervais
January 19th, 2011

Hef strikes back at Ricky Gervais

[Want to hear more from Ricky Gervais? You can catch him on "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Thursday, January 20 at 9 p.m. ET.]

There's one person definitely not laughing at Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes jokes: Hugh Hefner.

The Playboy founder is fighting back following the comedian's jibes about his recent engagement.

"Talking of the walking dead, congratulations to Hugh Hefner, who is getting married at age 84 to 24-year-old beauty Crystal Harris," Gervais said at the January 16 awards ceremony. "When asked why she was marrying him, she said, 'He lied about his age. I thought he was 94.'"

Now it seems Hefner is getting the last laugh.

"I'm used to cheap shots. ... It goes with the territory," he tweeted Monday. "It's ironic that living with 3 young girls prompted a hit TV show, but marrying one prompts humor. Age is still just a number. Jokes about age will begin to seem lame as we all begin to live longer, fuller lives."

1. Hef ROCKS, always has always wil

Hef is still Mr Cool!! Ricky Gervais is just another cheap hack F AGG OT looking to ride to popularity on other peoples hardwork. F U Gervais youPHUCKING-N*GGER!!

February 3, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Swissy

took him how many days to "strike" back???? is he always that slow? ... can't wait for his future bride to answer that question...

January 28, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. me

oh hef. what, you think that no one was making jokes when you were living with three of them? hit tv show, yes, but believe me, there was plenty of humor and amusement too.

January 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric

Ok Hef Your old your marrying girls old enough to be your grandaughters. Your used to have great parties in your home now you. Have free loaders half wit men surrounding your pation and your once grand grotto is now a ghetto. Playboy is done no one reads the articles and the models are same thing you have been telling the world was hot since the 60's. The same school bait waifs in year to dare clothes. Want to freak someone out. Marry a black girl Hef. Where's the chocolate in your white world. Stop trying for the world record on Marriages to 18-30...Your turing into PEDO BEAR

January 26, 2011 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jo

Pretty lame come back. Age is just a number, but his are just embarrassing. 84-24? They just beg a good ragging on. If "The Heff" can't take what has obviously been going around, Ricky just having the stones to say it straight out, well, I'd say grow up, but that wouldn't be a good idea. I hope she has a decent pre-nup.

January 25, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Berger

Age is just a number, true, but when the numbers are 84 and 24, you've gotta laugh. Or cry.

January 25, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gobama

It's sad that age-ism is still an acceptable form of bigotry and intolerance. Hefner should be able to do what he pleases – as long as he isn't hurting anyone. And those who mock him should be mindful of the irony when considering all the battles he fought (and won) on behalf of free speech and free expression.

January 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • my2cents

Yes, Hef has freedom of speech, freedom of expression, but he will pay dearly for the trim.

February 1, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Katherine

He's getting a lot of PR for doing what he normally does. He hosted the show and it's done. End of story.

January 24, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. katie

Hu Hef has age spots all over because he is aged

January 23, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeepers

Yeah. Age is just a number. A really, really big number in his case.

January 23, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. jended

I've heard that you should never date anyone younger than your age divide by two and add seven. So, Hef should date someone 49 or older. Still quite a bit younger than him but not embarrassingly so. Or, you can date whoever you want and just accept that people are going to find it gross and that they will laugh at you and make fun of you. The mockery increases exponentially with celebrity.

January 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lisa

Hef is right. Age is JUST a number. His bank account is THE number!!!

January 22, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. brian gillespie

Right On Hef! It's obvious the Globes were really hurting to pick Gervias to MC. What a moron! Ellen was great and should have been there instead. Cograts on your engagement.

January 22, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. pastafaria

I'll only 37, and I would be thrilled if Ricky Gervais could make fun of me for being engaged to a 24yo ex-playmate. Count your blessings Hef, and don't ever change!

January 21, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. freezinup

The truth hurts, Hugh Heffner, I hope You signed a good prenup, Eather the bimbo loves lizard men, or money. I think she loves the latter. Cha Ching.

January 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. seriously

At some point, the "age is just a number" line just doesn't hold true. Sorry Hef, you've reached that age. Congrats on the engagement...I'll give you that much.

January 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mickey Mud Turtle

Hef looks pretty spry for an octogenarian!

January 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sandy

And an old fart is an old fart . . .

January 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. April

This is the only area under marquee that I could find discussing the gervais/morgan interview re: golden globes hosting. Oddly. It was a whole hour long and Piers served him a beer b/c he thought he'd need it. I loved the whole interview. Was hilarious at times and interesting at other times. Anyway, if that's Hef's idea of giving it to him, well, it's not even worth this thread, but discussion on the interview would have been great! Too bad CNN didn't have something about it here.

January 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Swami

Jeez she can't even pucker her lips to kiss him for the photo. Its obviously pretty gross for her and its just publicity for her new show starring with Kendra or some other sad sack

January 21, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  21. Aim

You GO Hef! I love you! I'm excited for you to still be having a GREAT time in life!

January 21, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • hahahaha

Aim, we are all absolutely positive Hef returns the sentiment. He really cares so much about you personally, too!

February 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Liz

It's funny because my Father is near Mr. Hefner's age and said something interesting. He believes that people can say all the negative stuff about the man, but getting old really sucks and if he is able to have a relationship w/ a younger women (money or no money) more power to him! Until a person hits that age range they won't understand how it feels so let him enjoy himself! Who cares is she's using him...he's having fun, they both care about each other and she takes care of him so let him enjoy his twilight years! Who are we to judge since the public is known to be hypocrites...Example Michael Jackson. After all that negative publicity w/ court dates, bad plastic surgery and weird public antics...People didn't care for him as much as they did after he died. The moment he was gone it was "We always loved you Micheal!!!" What a total bunch of BS!!! I have magazines that I saved from the time period right before he died and the polls that were taken on him had such low ratings it was just pathetic. So back to Hef...More power to you Mr. Hefner. Wishing you happiness, good health and good times!

January 21, 2011 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
    • GervaisRocks

Twilight years? It's approaching Midnight for Hefner.

January 23, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

An 84 year old man with a younger woman, whether it "money/no money?" Just let me no, no money, no situation. What 24 year old attractive female wants to handle an 84 year old mans junk for free?

February 1, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Deb

Age maybe just a number Hef...but so is bone density.

January 21, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  24. Jennifer

one of her extensions is showing in the pic, she is beautiful to a quick eye but how much of it is actually real? I think Hef is an ass, I hope she leaves him in a wheelchair @ 90 or 95 and takes a lot of money with her!

January 21, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Kat

don't you mean one of Hef's hair extensions is showing, I'm sure that he is the one who paid for them!

January 22, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  25. Mark Henriksen

I don't under stand why Hef has a face like a shar pei dog? Wouldn't a face lift be more consistent with his image?

January 20, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • hahahaha

At his age, the health risks of the surgery outweigh the benefits. Let's just say at his age, I would even discourage him from buying green bananas.

February 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. richard lawless

only people over 70 say that.

January 20, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Josette Wagner

Gervais was right about everything he said. He just said the truth in a funny way. Hefner makes me sick. Just imagine how his children must feel !. He must have a huge ego problem. He is an old looking man and if he wouldn't have the money no young girl would even look at him. It's a sad situation – what money can do.

January 20, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • louis

Something tells me Josette is not a playmate looking type of lady. Bitter much sweetheart? Hef's daughter was the C.E.O of the family company for over 25 years and was ranked by Forbes as one of the most powerful women in America. So, I think his kids are pretty cool with everything you dingleberry!

January 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigSir

Ya got that right! Money has really messed up his life. Instead of being with a beautiful young girl he could be playing bingo at church with 84yo old women.

January 20, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  28. papUrazzi

Has anyone one here ever taken a picture with Hef or any of the more popular bunnies? If so you should submit it to http://www.papUrazzi.com. It's a new website where regular people can submit and comment on pics regular people have taken with celebs. It has some cool pics on there right now, you should check it out.

January 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. FAYE M

EVERY TIME I READ ABOUT MR HEFNER,I GET SAD,THAT SUCH AN INTELLIGENT MAN,SPEND HIS ENIRE LIFE SLEEPING WITH YOUNGER WOMEN AND THAT IS ONE CAN SAY ABOUT HIS ACCOMPLISHMENT.HE WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH EFFECTIVE,IF HE HAD DEVOTED HIS LIFE TO MORE WORTHY CAUSES,I FEEL VERY SAD FOR HIM.

January 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. PS

Funny, Hefner tweeted this on the evening of the Globes broadcast: "The Golden Globes was a blast. They made fun of everyone, including Crystal & me. A great night." The next day he's calling Gervais' comments a "cheap shot". Guess by Monday he forgot he had a different opinion on Sunday.

January 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. RF

stevie68a – I don't know enough about Gervais to comment on his talents and abilities. I only know what offends me which could be well and good for other folks. So I'll just opt to not tune in to him in the future. Easy enough fix.

January 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. jurby

sorry Hugh but age is NOT just a number! that is just an excuse that people like you use in order to justify yourselves and your disgusting behavior. you are a sick sick sick man to be cavorting with girls not only young enough that they could be your grandchildren but some of them, such as Crystal, could even be your great-grandchildren. i don't care how personable you may be Hugh but you are still a sick disgusting old man who has no business being with, much less engaged to, such young girls. and to Crystal – you are obviouslyy a gold digger who needs to be with a guy your own age, not some guy who's old enough to be your great-grandfather!

January 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. stevie68a

Hefner is a revolutionary. He created a dream job when it was almost impossible to do, and he's done it for 58 years.
    I'm surprised that conservatives liked Gervais. Didn't he insult their imaginary god? I personally don't fear this god, who's
    "wondrin' if I'm bad or good" but I'll be good for goodness' sake. OH!......

January 20, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Just wait

.....one day you will, that I can promise. If and when you are seriously ill, lets see who you cry out for and then you will remember your ignorant "imaginary god" statement!!! PS: Conservative or not, people who intentionally use words to embarrass and/or belittle others are not "comedians", they are simply people who have very negative thoughts about themselves and others and it spews out of their mouths and shows the world what a miserable person they truly are inside!!

January 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

I think your beliefs are imaginary as well. Why? Because they aren't mine and I cannot relate. Its funny how those who don't "get" God call me childish and dense. You are like children laughing at others for their beliefs. Plus, you talk about God so much, its obvious you can't let go of Him and leave Him behind. Thats what people usually do when they don't believe in something. Atheists just can't stop talking about and referring back to God. I think that means He DOES exist. You're talking about Him, aren't you?

February 1, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Annie

Gervais is Gervais - it is what it is. Hugh can answer back but what's the point ? As far as Gervais making the atheist comment he'll come around one day –there is a Power greater then him.

January 20, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Ange

No need to delude yourself with iron age fairy tales dear. What IS the deal with Americans and feeling obligated to choose some sort of god?

January 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

What is it with atheists feeling superior and ridiculing people who understand something atheists just don't get? But I have to admit, I see all of you as being the same, the same way you assume anyone who relates to a supreme being are all the same. You are right, and all of us are wrong, without a doubt? I think that makes atheists the delusional ones.

February 1, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • binki

Let me guess, Ange, having a name that is one letter short of being a heavenly creature has left you feeling cheated and resentful?

February 1, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. RF

May have grinned at one or two of his jabs but thought he may have stepped on the line a little if not cross it. The thing that bothered me the most was the last line of the show by Gervais. Anyone recall it? Just when I thought he was going to be sincere for a moment, he said, "thank God...for making me an atheist." I backed away from the TV for fear of getting struck.

January 20, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • mommy408

I don't think many people get the irony of that joke.

January 24, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

While I appreciate the humor, yuk yuk, God doesn't make atheists. They reproduce naturally, just like any other animal on the planet. And they are happy with that species status quo. And then there's God....

February 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Terry

Ricky Gervais is hilarious and a much needed humor for dull, greater than thous, and very sanctimonious hollywood celibs.

January 19, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  37. mad hater

Money makes the world retarded.

January 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

Actually money makes the world go 'round, but that explains why people can be so sickening, all that spinning.....

February 1, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. sassie

PERSONALLY, i am becoming physically ill while writing this. I think Hef is nothing short of a pedophile. If it were not for the mag, money, and fame ole Hef would not be attracting these young ladies. Rest assured his will is already penned in ink so don't think she'll get too far moneywise.

January 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

I disagree. Spouses carry big weight in court cases (which will surely happen) and I think she'll come out of it rich. Be around the old goat for a while to get rich (eeewwww, yucky when I have to, you know)... many would risk that.

January 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • JMC

@Dave....that's not always the case about spouses carrying a lot of weight. Remember Anna Nicole Smith? That old geezer supposedly left her money in his will and she nor her estate has gotten a penny. The kids will sue Hef's new "wife" after he's gone and she won't get a dime either. Personally, I think they deserve each other. Both are pathetic... a disgusting old man and a woman who sales her body for money.... the world never changes! Nobody buys that this is a marriage about love..... disgusting, the mental picture is just .....ewwww!

January 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. JC

Age is just a number, however I wonder how Christie Hefner...at 58 years old....feels about having a 24 year old stepmother. Yes, it's Hef's life and if he doesn't give a crap about public opinion, then kudos to him. Personally I
    would be completely creeped out at 24 years old diddling a guy 60 years older than me. YACK

January 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. gapkid

She has to close her eyes to kiss him and keep reminding herself, "Don't think of Grandpa. Don't think of Grandpa. Don't think of Grandpa. Don't think of Grandpa."

January 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Gladys

If age is just a number, why is it Huge seems stuck around the two digit numbers that start with 2?

January 19, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  42. jeanto

Hey Hef, She's a golddigger – but then you already knew that. You get what you want. She gets what she wants. Everybody's happy?

January 19, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • DeBeat

I agree. He's not stupid. He knows what she wants and she knows what he wants. They're not harming anybody. To each his/her own.

January 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Hefblowz

Good one Hef! Living the dream....of self delusion. To think that any woman has any other interest in you than advancing their career makes you, and your "life style", a joke. And a sad joke at that. A sad old hipster dufus who couldn't part with his misogynistic ways and now resembles a zombie who died in his PJs.

January 19, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  44. sally

I'm not young myself, but I find the idea of a girl that young marrying a man that old disgusting. She has to be in it for the
    money and fame, period. It is impossible to imagine someone her age being physically attracted to someone his age...
    eeeewwwwww.

January 19, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  45. Andree Alexander

Gervais's comments were bitter, uncalled for, insulting, and went beyond the pale of decency!! Yes, British humor is always sarcastic, but this was deliberately hurtful. It was obvious that the audience didn't really like it either. Yes, there was polite response – but it was nog genuine. Golden Globes must not make this mistake again in inviting Ricky Gervain back to host!!

January 19, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • jurby

considering this is the 2nd year he was asked to host the Golden Globes, obviously the network knew his style of humor already and didn't see a problem with hosting a 2nd time. get over it, people, as obviously the network has!

January 19, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • J

the jokes were funny get over it, if these people who are all over the trash papers and news evey day can't take a joke they need to get a real life

January 23, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  46. dave

Hef's attempt to marry so young is creepy. Personally a 10 year gap is about as far as can be comfortable (my opinion). That's not etched in stone and there are always exceptions. A 60 year difference? Creepy. Come ON Hef, she wants your $. Be careful about her fixing your food or drinks.

January 19, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

I've done 21 years. Best s3x I've ever had. I was 24 he was 45.

January 20, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • hahahaha

Actually, if you're dating someone who is old enough to be your parent, or young enough to be your child, you need to seriously decide if that will bother either of you at any point. Its a matter of personal comfort level, really. Of course when money is involved, "age is just a number." BAHhahahahahahahahaha.

February 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sharon

Wow Hugh that was really nasty (end sarcasm here).

Go Ricky – you were spot on!

January 19, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  48. SaraJmaes

Thank you for caring about the American people.

Obama will eventually leave the WH, it will be another 100 years before HC is discussed again.
    How many people would have died by then?

January 19, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  49. holly m

Sure Hef, Crystal would love you even if you even if you were a homely 84 yr old with no money. Gervais was hilarious–touch it and gag! LOL

January 19, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • MaNemIsHoan

Yes, you've got it. The humor wasn't so much in the words, it was in the visual of a look-the-other-way hand-job and gagging. Introducing Bruce Willis as Ashton Kutcher's dad; THAT was hilarious. It even looked like Bruce enjoyed that one.

January 31, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  50. RED

Ooo, that was a real zinger, Grandpa! Next, waggle your cane and tell him to get outta your yard.

January 19, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  51. Dea

Ewwwwwwwww

I wonder what kind of confidentiality agreement those "girls" have to sign to get a piece of the Hefner money? Ricky was spot on.

January 19, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  52. banasy

Oooooooh, I'll bet Ricky Gervais is just shaking with fear. In a related story, Hef is just shaking due to his age.

January 19, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  53. Mark

Er – that's not exactly striking back ... let's hope for Crystal's sake that his wit is the only limp thing about Hugh.

January 19, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  54. Lisa

Ricky Gervais is hilarious!

January 19, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

totally agree!! I thought all his jokes were great! any of teh "celebs" who cant laugh at themselves are just pathetic.

January 19, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • tony

his jokes were not witty at all. anyone with half a brain could come up with jokes like that. they actually were not funny at all, just rude comments. jokes about hugh hefners age, gee never heard that before!

January 25, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |