Anne Hathaway cast in 'Dark Knight Rises'
January 19th, 2011

Anne Hathaway cast in 'Dark Knight Rises'

After lots of speculation, Warner Bros. Pictures announced on Wednesday that Anne Hathaway would be joining the cast of the next Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises," due out on July 20, 2012.

A onetime Oscar nominee (and the ceremony's current host), Hathaway will step into the role of Selina Kyle, previously played by Michelle Pfeiffer in "Batman Returns." (Kyle is better known as Catwoman, both in the comics and in that film.)

In a press release, director Christopher Nolan ("Inception") said, “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.”

Tom Hardy, also from "Inception," was previously reported to have been cast in the final chapter of Nolan's Batman trilogy, and it was announced that he would be playing the role of Bane, a muscle-bound character played by the late Jeep Swenson in 1997's "Batman & Robin."

Bane is best known in the comic books for having once broken Bruce Wayne's back, taking him out of commission as Batman for about a year.

It will be interesting to see how Hathaway's (and Nolan's) portrayal of Kyle differs from those in the past. Will she also be Catwoman (as famously played by Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, Eartha Kitt and in a different take on the character, Halle Berry)? At the moment, Warner Bros. will not confirm that.

If there wasn't enough anticipation around the follow-up to 2008's blockbuster "The Dark Knight," this will only add to it.

What do you think about this casting? Does Hathaway have what it takes to be a Batman femme fatale? Share your view below.

Filed under: movies

1. Felton Pekrul

Berry was born Maria Halle Berry, though her name was legally changed to Halle Maria Berry at the age of five. Berry's parents selected her middle name from Halle's Department Store, which was then a local landmark in her birthplace of Cleveland, Ohio.

May 13, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Save Money

Thanks , I have recently been looking for info about this subject for a while and yours is the best I have came upon till now. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the supply?|What i do not realize is actually how you are not really a lot more well-favored than you might be now. You're so intelligent.

June 14, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. catwomanfan

There has been alot of questionable casting of women in the Batman franchises.....I was so unimpressed with Maggie, and Katie. Basic blah. I did like Nicole, and loved Michelle as Catwoman. I even liked Jerry Hall's bit better than the Katie and Maggie choices.
    It is beyond me why these insipid little girls are cast opposite such a strong male character. Where's the fun in that? So now we get Anne Hathaway? Another blah choice. She's too perky girl next door. There is no way she can pull off catwoman. Not nearly dark or dangerous enough. Natalie Portman would have been fantastic, and I think Keira Knightley would have done a great job, she is lovely, with depth. There are so many beautiful actresses with some OOOMPH, why do they cast these little mice.....

January 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Megi

Nice way to skip right over Michelle Pfeiffer's turn as Catwoman, CNN.
    I'm on the fence about this choice. On the one hand Anne Hathaway is an excellent actress and I like her work. On the other hand I can't see her in the role visually. I suppose it all remains to be seen.

January 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GFY

Yikes! This chick is sooo FUGLY!

January 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ken

Has no one seen "Rachel Getting Married"? Anne played a dark, complex character that completely carried the whole movie. It was a role that heaped awards and nominations on her, and to many proved that she was a fantastic character actress. So what if she started out in simple roles? She has matured as a performer since then, and I know I for one think she's one of the better actresses out there today. She will blow this role out of the water, simply for surprising so many people.

January 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cieje Valentine

I would rather have villains that haven't hit the silver screen yet be announced, but oh well. It's gonna be a fun trilogy-closer anyways..

January 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. J.B.B.

I personally don't feel that Hathaway is an "edgy" enough actress to pull off this part. Perhaps it should be
    played by a QUALIFIED actress that we all have never seen before. Still ... looking forward to the movie .. and
    hate to see Nolan ending this Batman trilogy.

January 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jiggered

I hope the costume has the large goggles.

January 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kls817

Casting Hathaway will cause me not to want to see the movie. She was the reason I didn't see the movie Get Smart.
    I wasn't about to see this cheesy actress try to imitate Barbara Feldon of the original series; Feldon was very attractive, Hathaway isn't even slightly attractive.

January 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rudy

Ugliest Catwoman ever...

January 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ST

I think Anne will be fine as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. She's one hell of an actress. I'm not sure of Tom Hardy as Bane, unless they're going to use CG. He's 5' 9" tall, while Bane is huge. I just don't see how he'll be able to pull off this character. He's not physically imposing.

January 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kls817

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think Hathaway is attractive; same with Julia Roberts but a lot of people like her looks; I don't.

January 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. monet

boooooooooooooooooo! what a terrible choice!

January 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Will

And what about Rosario Dawson? She could DEFINITELY do what Hally couldn't. Think Sin City...

January 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. The Truth

So basically people are capable of judging a movie soley based on casting of two people? How about actually seeing the movie or at least wait until someone with some intellect reviews the movie before passing judgement. If you are that sceptical that the movie will be bad then don't see it or wait until its been out long enough for reviews and people you know go out and see it before deciding to watch it or not. It amazes me that people can pass judgement with so little knowledge. Hathaway considered by experts in the field of acting as one of the premiere if not the best actress of her age group, but apparently many here are ready condem a movie because she is in it. How about give the internationally recognized highly talented actress a chance before you pass any judgement.

January 20, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Will

Looks and agility, with action experience, I would have went with Megan Fox DESPITE her complete lack of acting ability (and her snub at WW), I think she could pull this one off.

January 20, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JoeT

I'm thinking Natalie Portman must've turned the role down first. That said, Anne H. will do OK– the problem is this: the bar was set just way too high by Ledger as the Joker. Highly improbable this movie will outshine The Dark Knight, but should still be worthwhile.

January 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  19. RS

I love Anne Hathaway, because she's too funny. I'd like to see her take on Catwoman, and she's built good enough for it. I think she'd be able to hold her own opposite Christian Bale. Tom Hardy as Bane ? Ought to be interesting. I'm just glad they're not doing any more with the Joker out of respect for the memory of Heath Ledger. Heath did a great job and I was happy when Chris Nolan said he wasn't going to bring Joker back after Heath passed. I would've hated to see them attempt to replace him. Just wouldn't have been the same.

January 20, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dthetford

All those comments and nobody mentioned the penguin all hale the penguin !

January 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. S.B. Stein

I'd certainly like cats a whole lot more if she came to me purring!

January 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  22. BatFan

With all due respect to Ms Hathaway, Angelina Jolie would have been perfect choice for this part. Superb acting talent, experience in action flix, and (never thought I'd ever say this, but...) she'd look even better than Halle in that cat suit. There'd be standing room only in the theaters for several months.

January 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

YAH CUZ WHEN REAL BAT FANS THINK OF CATWOMAN WE THINK OF A MIDDLE AGED MOM WHO DOES GOOD THINGS AROUND THE WORLD AND USED TO BE KINDA HOT INSTEAD OF A SAUCEY BROAD LIKE ANNE

January 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tom

I won't be boycotting the movie but I do hope Anne can put on some curves to look more like the character. Personally, I would have preferred Rachel Weisz, Catherine Zeta Jones (anybody remember Entrapment?), or Eva Green. As for acting, I think Hathaway could pull it off with Nolan's direction.

As for Bane, I like the choice of Hardy in terms of acting ability but not in physicality. Bane was always supposed to be huge and bulky even when he wasn't on Venom. I personally would have chosen Vinnie Jones for the role. He would just have to lose the British accent. And for those who say Bane is a terrible character to use, go back and read the Knightfall story arc and his origin story that came before it. It's unfortunate that the only characterization anybody remembers is the moronic version from Batman & Robin. He was a smart, calculating villain.

January 20, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  24. sarah palin

I'm so much hotter than her.

January 20, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  25. citizenUSA

In answer to the last question in the article, "Does Hathaway have what it takes to be a Batman femme fatale?", as long as she doesn't bite him.

January 20, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  26. RMRYZARC

What happened to The Scarecrow? Didn't they show him a few times in The Dark Knight, because it seemed like they were showing a glimpse into the 3rd installment... ??

January 20, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  27. the_dude

Hot chicks don't have to have any talent. Just show your boobs.

January 20, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  28. siamesekittycat

Cherlize Theron would be better

January 20, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  29. Ez

Horrible! she does not have that exotic look that Catwoman has, I mean whats up with those eyes

January 20, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. Dan

Sorry, I won't go see it as long as that lunatic Christian Bale is still cast as Batman.

January 20, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  31. darkthoughts

Like Hathaway, would prefer the Riddler. he would have Batman jumping through some hoops

January 20, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  32. Robbie46

WOW siamesekitty you must be COMPLETELY blind !!! Anne is SUPER hot and very talented. This will beb a great end to the Trilogy !!

January 20, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mike

She may be 'okay'. She may not be. But, Olivia Wilde would be perfect as Catwoman.

January 20, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  34. Joe48

She looks like the Joker already. How can the Joker be playing Catwoman?

January 20, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  35. coachd

If you want to see just how HOT Hathaway can be and how she can really be a "bad" girl check out her and Bijou Phillips in her 2007 file "Havoc"! Smokin Hot! She is definately not the good girl everyone thinks.

January 20, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  36. Batfan

So we get Cheshire Catwoman!

January 20, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  37. Matt

I like how they said Catwoman was "famously played by Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, Eartha Kitt and in a different take on the character, Halle Berry," but failed to mention Michelle Pfeiffer (Batman Returns), who is probably more known for Catwoman than any other woman mentioned here. Most people don't even know who Julie Newmar and Lee Meriwether are (everyone SHOULD know who Eartha Kitt is), who each played Catwoman in the 60's Batman TV show with Adam West. Halle Berry's Catwoman...well...what's there to say about that?

January 20, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  38. Neil

I love this hire. Anne Hathaway is a good actress. She knows how to do action movies, and she knows how to do serious movies (some of her indie movies displayed that). Also, love that Bane will be in a villain movie. I've always been irritated by how much they messed up his character in Batman & Robin. Remember this is the same villain that broke Batman's back in the comics...not to mention he is incredibly intelligent.

Although, I do agree that Michelle Pfeiffer was a great Catwoman, just as Jack Nicholson was a great Joker. I hope that Ann Hathaway can do the same justice to Catwoman that Ledger did for the Joker. (By the way, in defense of one of the earlier comments, Batman Begins in my opinion was just as good as Dark Knight, not better, not worse. Sadly it is a bit forgotten.)

January 20, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  39. Vitaliy

Tom Hardy as Bane, the most intelligent and toughest challenge Batman has ever faced....golden casting

January 20, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  40. RiverSpirit

I think Nicole Kidman would have been a far better choice. AH is okay but she hasn't developed as a actress to the point of drawing crowds. Primarily because she hasn't played any characters of great depth or complexity. All I've seen from her so far have been rather shallow characters. Bottom line... she simply isn't dynamic enough to be in a Dark Knight movie. I'm think fans will sit back, then end up renting this Dark Knight movie rather than going to the theatre.

January 20, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  41. Lee S

Anne Hathaway will definitely look amazing in the cat suit, most of America can agree on that. However- it is doubtful she will be able to act the part convincingly. Anne Hathaway is a one dimensional actress always playing the cute, bubbly, slightly quirky girl (with very few exceptions, i.e. Rachel Getting Married). The whole reason she got so naked in her last movie is because it's the only thing she could do to make her part different than the others. Selina Kyle is attractive, yes, but she's also a torn character wrestling with being good or bad and slightly unstable. She's a multi-dimensional character that Anne Hathaway hasn't been able to pull off in the past. Plus- as Selina Kyle, I imagine she'll have a romantic relationship with Bruce Wayne, and I can't see Anne Hathaway and Christian Bale pulling out any amount of chemistry.

January 20, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Vitaliy

while I agree that Anne Hathaway mostly plays that "quirky, bubbly" personality that you described...I think of her as a character actor, and believe she has the ability to transform to radiate other qualities

January 20, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Vitaliy

also, while you may not be able to see her pulling those characteristics off, take this into consideration...Nolan has screen tested the actresses...obviously he has seen her pull off the character otherwise why would he cast her?

January 20, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Lee S

I'm sure they also saw Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhal screen test and they still cast them. While Maggie Gyllenhal did a bit better job, Katie Holmes was horrible. People make mistakes, even casting directors.

January 20, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  42. Pasquale Fiorelli

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 20, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  43. Greedo

She's gonna look awesome in that skin tight suit.

January 20, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  44. Dayne

Not my first choice. A pretty lady but lacking a sensual undertone. Didn't like Katie Holmes either. They're great at casting male roled but seem afraid to cast women that might actual compete with the men on screen.

January 20, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  45. jlr

Carmen Electra or Pamela Anderson must not have been available. the perfect catwoman on looks alone? why not cast Kim Kardashian? either way Anne's got the part so why sweat it. she just may surprize everyone. when the very 1st. batman came out with Michael Keaton critics hollered "are you kidding?" and yet he pulled it off better than any one. Christian Bale does a great job too. so give the girl a chance.

January 20, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  46. rc

I think she will have to be acting harder than anyone else to be believable in the part she is a good actress but I don't think she will be taken seriously. I think she might suprise us though since she can play an innocent geek. Keep in mind michelle phiefer was in the same boat and did very well also

January 20, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  47. Rui Pires Antonio

There's only one Catwoman in my opinion(Michelle Phieffer).But to cast Anne Hathway,good God!That's like casting Billy Joel to play the next Terminator!I would have gone with Jessica Biel or if she had some form of intelligence possibly Kim Kardashian for the wow factor but Anne,she's still a girl trying to play the life part of a woman!

January 20, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  48. nicole

She can't act. She'll look good in the cat suit. That's all.

January 20, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  49. James

She doesn't have what it takes.

January 20, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  50. Christina Ricci

Boo.

Why not Christina Ricci? She is odd and looks like a cat.

January 20, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  51. Mr India

Is it just me or doesn't the pic of Hathaway remind you of the Big Cat Head in Alice in Wonderland. In that case, she may be suited to be a Cat-Woman... not sure about the Femme Fatale part though.

January 20, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  52. jim

banes gonna be sick lets hope nolan doesnt screw up the character and make him some mongoloid. As for anne hathaway, you gotta have eye candy in every movie these days.

January 20, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  53. MrSnow

i'll give her a chance, but Nolan has a bad history of casting women who hold no onscreen presence.
    and Heath Ledger WAS NOT an adequate joker, Willam Defoe would have been far better, and would have done homage to Mark Hammil's perfect personification. The Joker character is a pulp warner bros' cartoon, not a subdued ICP fan with dry mouth.
    And I'm kind of sick of people saying that Dark Night was at all a good movie. It was popular, but not good, Batman Begins was far better, and didnt stick out an hour longer than it should have.

January 20, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  54. islandboi

Anyone try calling Evangeline Lilly? I really miss her now that 'LOST' has ended its run. Talk about athletic! I think she could pull it off quite well.

January 20, 2011 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  55. scott

Its kind of ironic that stars from brokeback mountain and their sisters have been in this series. Heath ledger, maggie gylenhaal (jakes sister) and now anne hathaway. Is this brokeback batman?

January 20, 2011 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  56. inga parks

how she will play catwoman with this big nose?

January 20, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  57. karebear

Ok.heath ledger was freakin' awesome! second,gary oldman can live with me anytime.but if they cast anne hathaway in this,im leaving the country.DOWN WITH tHE BLOODY BIG HEAD!

January 20, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  58. BigMIKE

Not sure what to thing but some of the stuff I've been reading on the post make me want to see what kind of JOB she is going to do.

January 20, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  59. Dheartt

Anne willl be great for that part. I'm excited now :)

January 20, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  60. marc

I think Scarlett Johanson would be an unbelievable fit for this character. My respects to Anne Hathaway but I just think SJ is sooo much better in all aspects

January 20, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  61. danielle

it is going to be good i can not wait to see it and ann is going to be great in it im a big fan of her work.

January 20, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  62. djgs

Anyone who fails to concider Nolan's triumphs with and through actors and the characters that were developed for Dark Knight is missing the point about Anne Hathaway... She can act. Now she's got an incredible opportunity... And with Nolan, the other cast members and that braintrust we may or may not recognize her when we see her on the film... But so many people are arguing about only looks, a couple old Disney films and how they think Anne will do... With this team she will be otherworldy. Go Nolan!

January 20, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  63. Da Joker

Probably Angelina Jolie would have been a better choice for catwoman. Oh well, let's see how it plays out ;-)

January 20, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  64. trrrrrvvg ttt

That sucks

January 20, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  65. PJ

Think she is very beautiful and has a unique face you notice–also the reason why I don't think she is going to make a good Catwoman, no one is going to get past it being Anne Hathaway, she won't blend into the role.

January 20, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  66. PJ

Is Nolan just recasting everyone who was in Brokeback Mountain? Is Randy Quaid next up as The Penguin (provided he doesn't get arrested?"

January 20, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  67. ST

Someone on here said she would make a better Harley – and I could NOT agree more!! It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, but I definitely don't find AH's looks or acting to be intriguing enough.

January 20, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  68. yoooo

check anne out in the movie havoc if you want to see her in a bad girl role. plus check out hardy in bronson to see that he can pull off bane with no problem. bane in the comics was a highly skilled and intelligent villain, unlike the crappy batman and robin version you saw in '97.

January 20, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  69. Redcarpet Downthere

If Cruise was Natalie Portman's husband he wouldn't let her make DKR. And probably out of the house.

January 20, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  70. carrie ann

Anne doesn't have any bad girl roles in her past, I think natalie portman would be a better fit as cat woman, if she wasn't prego I'm sure she would have gone out for the role!!!!!

January 20, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  71. hd

Hathaway should stick with Disney movies. She sucks.

January 20, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  72. ag

You have to be freaking kidding me right?! the nerd from princess diaries in going to be catwoman?! God help us all!!

January 20, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  73. Sadiehyde

Yeah, Bale obviously talentless hack based on Golden Globe he won Sunday for 'the Fighter.' Nolan has reinvented the characters and the series, presenting all of them most like the comics published in 87, 89 and 96 and 97 which he used as a jumping off point, trying to redefine the Batman after the Joel Schumacher debacle. So, Bale as Batman, Gary Oldman as Gordon, Non Blonde Model Like Actress as Love Interest, and
    whichever actor Nolan chooses as whatever villain because it's *his* movie, and they've been tremendously successful, both critically and commercially, so the man seems to have a pretty good idea of what he's doing. Let him do his job. If he thinks Hathaway the best actress for the part, then she most likely is. Are the Jessicas more 'athletic' looking? Yes. Can they act their way out of wet paper bags? Not so much..
    And all of you who find Hathaway to be so loathsome as to be reason enough to boycott the film, perhaps you should also boycott articles about it too. And surely you wouldn't want to waste your time commenting on a film you hate, would you?

January 20, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  74. V4Vengence

Anne is someone I WANT to like, but so far has delivered only lightweight performances. Noland being the director he is (although "Inception" put me to zzzzzleep) will probably make it work, but I dont think anyone is going to have too much anticipation for this movie whatsoever. The best choice for catwoman would have been Lucy Lu. I know she's a bit older but you know what? THAT would have been cool.

But let's get something straight – saying Heath Ledger rocked as Joker so maybe Hathaway will do a great job is just nuts! Heath Ledger was in so many great roles prior to batman, AH, none.

January 20, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  75. Ann

Hell no anne hatheway did alice it has to be someone who has done some action movies she looks too not an action person

January 20, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  76. mike rabine

Its not a tumor!

January 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  77. mick

I have heard that talia al ghul will be in it. That she will be played by rachel weiss(the mummy/ the mummy returns). That its going to be love triangle and that talia is trying to avenge her fathers death. If he really is dead, look at the comics (u can't keep a good villian dead).

January 19, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  78. mad hater

Angelina Jolie bites

January 19, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Hustla

since I dont have any say in the production of this movie, Instead of crying, ill just wait to see it...and pass judgement then...frankly, these directors deserve our attention for this movie...its argueably one of the best super hero series of all time...i cant wait...cmon people get serious...

January 19, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  80. its5oclocksomewhere

I could totally see johnny depp as the riddler yum!!!

January 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  81. William Stodgel

Total hot chick in the next batman... I'm glad Tom wouldn't let his wife come back.

January 19, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  82. wendy brooks

Omg Anne Hathaway does not scream catwoman she screams debutante!she was good as a princess not a vixin .....Batman is my favorite superhero it better be good...

January 19, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  83. BYRDMAN

They need to stop making these Batman movies cause they have ruined them. The last two has sucked. Maybe if y'all get a better person to play Batman it might be a better movie. But who knows I think the story lines stink in the last two movies.

January 19, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  84. zoe

Emma Stone

January 19, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  85. tim

Neither for or against the choice. However, I would love to have seen Kristen Bell in a cat suit.

January 19, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  86. GalTx

Im thinking Ms. Hathaway will do surprisingly well. She has played a mixture of roles. This will be a challenging yet a fulfilling goal! Good Luck Anne... Im sure you performance will be a good shocker to those who think u will fail d task!

January 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  87. BevoTexas

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman?!?!? Look like I'll be having a Peewee Herman type incident in the theater!

January 19, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Gregg

If it were any other director (well, most) I'd question the choice, but it's hard w Nolan's track record. Anne, at times, is goregous. And at other times she's very plain. That could be used to her advantage, and I suspect it will be.

January 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Beautiful Vixen

@siamesekitty lol little angry there with that choice huh :)?.Some funny comments as usual.

January 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  90. blkshp

Ok, I'm reading plenty of goofy things in these comments: katie holmes was good in batman begins? She was beyond horrible. Batman begins was better then the dark knight? How? It was a good, but a better film then TDK? I don't see how. Calling catwoman and bane second rate villains? MAYBE kane, but catwoman? Are u nuts? I'm always willing to give chris nolan a chance ever since memento, I think hathaway and hardy will do fine, give em a chance, geez!

January 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Diamond Mine Grind

At this point, I put my trust in Nolan. The Dark Knight more than cemented his status. Those that have doubt about Hardy and his role as Bane, I suggest you check out the movie Bronson. That may change your outlook on it. As far as Anne, I'm putting her in the same light I put Heath. I think she is going to surprise us. Don't sleep.

January 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  92. S.Carr

Both Hathaway and Hardy are deeply talented actors with incredible range, so it's good casting all around. The trick is for the Nolan brothers to keep reframing these iconic characters in a way that's based in reality and reinvention. The Dark Knight proved they were smart enough to pull that reconceptualization off. Let's hope they can do it again: it's a big ball to drop.

January 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  93. jean claude van damn

Chris Nolan knows what he's doing, none of us are privy to his plans/goal. He is one of the best filmakers today, so pay your $12, eat your popcorn, and shut up while you enjoy the 3rd installment of Batman. Its easy to be a critic, but guess what – you might KEEP yourself from liking it! DURR

January 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • V4Vengance

He is one of the best hyped filmakers today.

He hasnt done ANYTHING mindblowing since Memento, sorry.

January 20, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  94. Jim

On the fence. Something is telling me no.

January 19, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  95. mad hater

I wanted to see the Riddler! Shame on you for mentioning Angelina JoQuefe

January 19, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Dave Mc

She has a horse mouth.

January 19, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Redcarpet Downthere

Your all delusional. This motion picture might blow a$$!And sorry to burst your oscar bubble, Batman is a Buttpirate.

January 19, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  98. harlo

Yall have already hung AH give the young lady a chance. it's not whats on the outside that counts it's whats on the inside

January 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Odalice Yolanda Feliz

great.....

January 19, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  100. brucewayne

Odd choice, but Christian Bale was the real odd casting to carry a franchise and no one is indicating what a great character he delivered under Nolan's direction. Until you've made 3 billion in box office receipts, trust Nolan until you see it. Anne grows on you. Ertha Kitt was smoking hot and not blond. I agree with the body type for Biel and Alba, but we need a manipulative villainess.

January 19, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Whysoserious

Harley quin maybe the part ann will play, but since nobody thought of that guess your not a true batman fan

January 19, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Josh

Anne Hathaway is a good choice for Catwoman, but Tom Hardy makes no sense as Bane.

January 19, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Rolph

U betcha

January 19, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  104. MARKPAIN

I can`t understand why everyone is being so hateful when you can just comment and be thru with it. I don`t think Heath Ledger`s Joker was all that great or that Katie Holmes was a good cast in Batman Begins. Who is Anne Hathaway anyway? I really like Bale as Bruce Wayne but don`t care for the guy that plays Jim Gordon. Michael Caine(?) is ok as Alfred

January 19, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  105. MaryMary

Another bland, boring actress for the batman movies.

January 19, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Wowzeerz

gasp! why are so many people trippin`. this movie is gonna be great..i so sick of people who judge others. u can say whatever you want about ann hathaway but she`s stil the one making millions of dollars and getting roles.

January 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  107. josh

Anne hathaway is a horrible choice selina kyle was hot (and blonde) in the comics. The selina kyle from batman the animated series is better looking than hathaway this is almost as bad as casting that fat ass seth rogen or whatever his name is as the green hornet

January 19, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe the plumber

Number one the green hornet is a symbol of the 'charlie chan' days in which asians had to play stereotypical second-tier characters, so boolchit. I dont give a fek how many studio execs think we need more cheezy rehashes starring crappliy selected (using only certain actors) casts. Seth rogen? come off it. The concepts and themes in many (most) of these movies is just recycled trash that studio people poop out to glean $ from the dumb. They trick you out of your movie money unless you ask for your money back. (which in the case of bad movies, i am not afraid to do) Better yet, wait till DVD release! Rent it!

January 19, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Name*Tone4

Yes she 'll make à good catwoman.

January 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  109. tk

In Ann we get a great actress!

January 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  110. bre

Ok guys # if u have watched all heaths movies u woulda known he could pull it off. The hottness threw u off u thought pretty boy no way. As for Ann she wont beat Michelle but i think she can do catwoman. An as for Bane i think the Riddler or 2 face woulda been better an poisen ivy woulda be ur next bet. An for record katie is pretty but maggie is a bit better at acting.

January 19, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  111. comcurve

Boy oh boy, Anne Hathaway is smokin' hot and nobody even knows it. After reading these comments, it is clear she is going to take everybody by surprise. Yes, Anne Hathaway is going to be a heartthrob. Trust!

January 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  112. kamshamaharaj

@ the minority who believe that Katie Holmes can act and who seem clueless about movie making:

Anne is a good actress, and who knows what chemistry she'll have with the other cast members. The interesting thing to note is that Christopher Nolan's films seem better suited for male actors. With the exception of Maggie Gylenhaal, who was a stellar choice to out the awful and untalented Katie Holmes. Someone said Jessicas Abla and Beil?? What's wrong with you?? Neither of them can act!!! Nolan is under a lot of pressure and other than Natalie Portman, who's hotter right now? If Portman was preggie, who knows. But, I think Hollywood needs to start widening the casting net. They need new, fresh, talented blood!

January 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  113. GORILLAFINGERS

Confirmed. Since she looks like a complete clown, she'll be the next one the play the joker – again. HONK HONK!

January 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  114. rita

Tom Hardy is worth watching anytime in anything....he was the perfect Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, in fact, I fell head over heels and know he has the soul to be a great actor.

January 19, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  115. ccbsecu

katie holmes = not a good actress, maggie gyllenhaal = dead from 2nd movie, anne hathaway = not athletic enough to be believed as selena kyle. someone like jessica biel or jessica alba, maybe even blake lively (eventhough she is in green lanturn)...

January 19, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  116. judy

With that huge red mouth she's always reminded me of The Joker in the 1966 Batman movie.....

January 19, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malcolm

I know that Anne is a great actress but i don't think that this is her kind of film. I think that Nicole Kidman or Natalie Portman or Scarlet Johannson (even though she not as good as an actress) would have been better choices.

January 20, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  117. Nobody

{Sigh} I thin I'm going hurl.

Nothing against Hathaway, but as Cat Woman, wrong.

Let's get Abrams involved so he can flush Batman like he flushed Star Trek.

January 19, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Hannah

I may actually watch this one, then.

January 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Bud

Anne may be hot but Catwoman, she's not.

January 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Frank Madman Einstein

I am more disappointed with the choice of characters than the casting. A second tier character and a third tier character will not make the fans, including me, very happy. Bane was always a lousy villain and I can't see him fitting into the universe that had been created by the first two movies. Riddler anyone??

January 19, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  121. kel

What happened to jonny depp playing riddler. would much rather see that.

January 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  122. mike

Better than the last two actresses that were in the movies. Katie and whats her face name were fugly. Anne is hot

January 19, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Sean

Oh ye of little faith! Like many of the comments on this page, I too seem to remember people being turned off by the idea of Heath Ledger playing the Joker. He put his heart and soul into that role and it turned out to be his greatest performance. As for the choice to have Anne play Selina Kyle/Catwoman, I'm with Chris Nolan 100%. I have no doubt that it'll be AMAZING and both Anne and Tom will be great. If there was one thing I would want them to keep from "Batman Returns", it would be the Christmas/winter setting. I think a snow-covered Gotham would be a nice change of pace from the last two films...just sayin.

January 19, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  124. stu

Ugly and annoying.

January 19, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Chad K

She makes a perfect Harley Quinn. Sad that's not the case, but I trust Nolan. Nolan and Fincher are the top 2 directors right now.

January 19, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  126. MissTemple

I am greatly disappointed in the casting choice they have made with Anne Hathaway. No offense to her or to her acting ability, but she is just not Catwoman material. I am a fan of what Christopher Nolan has done with the Batman franchise, but please, pick someone else.

January 19, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  127. bhav

no way. that's ridiculous. there are more intriguing choices out there.. ie, marion cotillard or angelina jolie for catwoman.

January 19, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Artemis

NO WAY Angelina or Marion Cotillard would ever do Batman movies! Marion isn't the action flick type AT ALL. Angelina can carry a lead, so why take on a small supporting role when you've already starred in 4 or 5 action flicks!

January 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  128. joe blerone

fail! she looks like she was in soundgardens black hole sun video.

January 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe the plumber

i was just thinking that. they should make a movie out of that video, Starring Anne Hathaway!

January 19, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  129. sam

I thought Catwoman was supposed to be agile and sleek?? How in the hell is anne hathaway gonna be able to do that? She's never done a movie like that and she thinks that a Batman movie is a good way to test it out....what an idiot....

January 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  130. bman123

I hope this is a joke!

January 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Red Pison

Finally a lead female who can act (Katie Holmes couldn't) and looks hot (Maggie Gyllenhaal wasn't). Hope she's Catwoman.

January 19, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • nicole

Really? You think so? In what film was she "good"? She's simply a pretty girl someone out there wants in the limelight (I suspect nepotism).

January 20, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • it's me

That's true.she is just another pretty nice girl. She is NOT HOT.

January 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  132. franco

Boo!
    Athletic? no. Hip? No! She's attractive but we'll see how it goes. Not dark enough for my blood.

January 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Superhiro

Umm.. if you're actually claiming Maggie was better then Katie then you just lost all validity. There's no way that's an accurate statement.

January 19, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Reilly Hunter

She's got fishlips.

January 19, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Jon

Riggins – I agree and will pray with you – Mario – good call – Superhiro, you are wrong and horrible to feel this way about Katie Holmes. Were you method-acting Helen Keller when you watched Batman Begins? Were you mistaking a rock with Katie Holmes?

January 19, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Superhiro

Katie Holmes? Really? She was leaps and bounds better than Maggie Gyllenhall. I mean I get people hate her for the scientology crap, but Katie Holmes was good in Batman Begins.

January 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • LL

I think you only like Katie Holmes because she went bra less in a lot of the scenes. ;-)

Maggie wasn't as hot, but she added more dimension to that character than Katie did.

January 19, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • tinman

Agree with you Superhiro about Katie Holmes. I actually believed Katie Holme's depiction of the character who knew Bruce Wayne growing up and the important role she played influencing his philosophy and the love interest dynamic. When Maggie Gyllenhaal came into the scene, it was very disappointing and it lost the magic of the character and the potential emotional tugging Bruce Wayne experienced. As much as I'm not a fan of the Scientology, I would have liked to have seen Katie act out the assistant district attorney role.

May 5, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Mateo

I find these casting choices quite interesting. I feel a sense of deja-vu since many people said Heath Ledger was a horrible casting choice, and look at what happened! I believe Chris. Nolan will bring a a great product and I have faith; he has yet to dissappoint me in all of his movies, particularly concerning casting (with the exception of Katie Holmes).

January 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Mario

What a horrible choice? Anne Hathaway is totally wrong for the part, Catwoman is supposed to be HOT, Anne Hathaway has bug eyes.

January 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roxanne

Ugh... REALLY?! I'm not sure who's worse Halle Berry or Anne Hathaway... can we bring back Michelle please?!

January 20, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • DCB

Um...when Pfeiffer got the Catwoman role, she had not (to my knowledge) done an action thriller. I suspect many thought she was wrong for the part, but now we remember her fondly. The same could easily happen with Anne Hathaway (who has done a variety of roles showing her range, by the way). After all, who was Carrie-Anne Moss before she slicked back her hair in Matrix? All it take is good costumes and a lot of hard work, and *poof* - we can't imagine the movie without ya.

It does depend on the direction the script takes. Will Selina Kyle be independently wealthy and bored (traditional), or will she be an everywoman pushed over the edge (Pfeiffer)?

Hathaway is pretty. And she has the elegance and the girl-next-door charm to take the story in either direction.

January 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Superhiro

I just have a feeling this movie isn't gonna be that good. Dark Knight was a big step down from Begins, and Inception was a big step down from Dark Knight imo. Nolan seems to be going in the wrong direction now that he's successful.

January 19, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evey

Are you serious? This goes without saying but, you're in the vast minority.The Dark Knight and Inception were both terrific movies.

January 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

I agree with Superhiro on every point. But, yes, we are in the vast minority. Just wanted to let Superhiro is not alone in this opinion!

January 19, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matthew

This poster is clearly trolling. This is the 2nd time they have posted the same nonsense about boycotting the movie because of Hathaway. She will be very good in this role if you ask me.

January 20, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I also agree. I did not like The Dark Night. I was disappointed with the entire movie except Ledger. I thought Begins was much more "fun". I do want to be entertained watching a superhero movie. Night was like the Schindler's List of superhero movies.
      Did not like Inception either. Yes, great direction and look, unbelievably stupid story. Though it made me more accepting of the stupid plot in Tron Legacy.

January 20, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Al

As a long time Batman comic book fan I have to say that I agree with Superhiro and Johnny. We ARE in the vast minority of those that weren't all that impressed with Knight. However, in a tip of the hat to Nolan; Batman Begins was imo the best superhero related movie I've ever seen. Not real enthused about Bane; I didn't particularly care for him in the comics either. He erminds me too much of Venom. But I'll wait and see what Nolan does before judging the film. Although, I would have rather seen Talia and Hugo Strange.

January 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  140. siamesekitty

Don't boycott the movie. Boycott Anne. They need to change that character before they mess the movie up with that ant eater face

January 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

January 20, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Sorry, meant to enter under Superhiro.

January 20, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • it's me

U r so right! I don't think this role is for her at all . She is not tought enought.

January 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter Live!

Anne is flat forgeous, and will do wonderfully in this or any other role she is asked to play, within or outside of the BATMAN franchise.

Stunning choice!

January 20, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • DvDavid

Whoa! Boy there are some nutty people here who've never seen Anne in other pictures apparently. This picture of her with this article is absolutely the Worst one I've ever seen of her. Other than this single picture, she is absolutely one of the Most Gorgeous Wormen on Planet Earth. Look up her pictures before dispariging her looks!!

May 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Huhwhaa

I would have liked to The Riddler instead of Bane. Bane does have the intelgence and brute force, but i think the riddler could make a story more of a psycological thriller. As for Hathaway, it depends on the direction they take the character.

January 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmm

Bane is not so bright. But can he spell intelligence and psychological?

January 19, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • dabearz

Actually, in the comics Bane is highly intelligent, on par with Batman. That's what makes him a potentially great villain. I would assume Nolan has respect for the source material and will knock it out of the park.

January 20, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
    • harleyquinn

You must have never read the comics. Bane is actually very intelligent and good at thinking 3 steps ahead of everyone else (including Batman). I'm hoping this Bane isn't the idiot they made him in the previous Batman runs.

I'm definitely loving this series, way truer to the characters!!

January 20, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

I seem to recall hearing that Bane is actually Bruce's half brother. So there could be a good amount of potential drama there, if Nolan uses that.

January 20, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  142. Nessa

I remember how nasty people were when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker. Perhaps Anne will shine in this movie as well. I won't boycott the movie, that's for sure! I'm really excited to see the next movie, I absolutely LOVE Christian Bale as Batman. What cool gear will he have this time?

January 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  143. riggins

if she shows her boobies in this one, I'm in!

January 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Jen

So disappointing, she looks like a ferret LOL

January 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  145. cheefsfury

SELINA KYLE WILL BE HIS LOVE INTEREST IN THIS MOVIE AND I BET BANE WILL MESS UP BATS AND THEN BATS WILL HAVE TO RISE FROM THE BEATING AND COME BACK AND BEAT UP BANE SOME

January 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Kris

January 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  147. JoethebossMcDade

I think this is great! anne hathaway is hotttt

January 19, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big daddy T

Glad 2 see Bane . Cant wait for this movie

January 20, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
    • BobDole

Hopefully they use Bane like he was in the comics and not the stupid cheesy movie Batman & Robin. I dont see her doing a very good Job as Catwoman. She is an OK actress but not the best.

January 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  148. I concur

I agree siamesekitty. I do not feel any type of emotion when watching Anne Hathaway on screen. I'd rather see Michelle Pfeifer play the part again than AH.

January 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  149. mike

you're crazy

January 19, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  150. dur

Beats Maggie Gyllenhaal, yuck.

January 19, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Hannah

She's not attractive?!? What?!?!

January 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  152. simon

Go away Halle Berry.

January 19, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  153. mathis

You're crazy. She's the perfect cast for this movie, not because she is perfect for the role, but because Christopher Nolan has a history of taking actors that few think have a shot at a particular role and making them great. Few remember the criticism Nolan came under when he casted a certain late Australian actor to play the role of the Joker. Now, he's one of two people to ever receive a best actor award post-posthumously. She's got a limited but successful history as a method actor (the white queen) and even though her other roles have been questionable, she's at least better than her predecessors. Wake up and smell the jealousy kitty.

January 19, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Archaic Revival

Honestly, I didn't think a lousy long haired skinny actor from 10 things I hate about you would be such a fantastic joker. Yet Heath ledger did it!

Anne Hathaway has a lot of potential given the right roles, and take my word on it, this is an Oscar role just like Heath Ledger. Be prepared to see another perspective of catwoman.

PS: also be prepared to see the hottest catwoman mr I think Anne Hathaway is not hot. When you see her in black leather you're gonna change your mind. Trust me on that one.

January 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  155. heartt

you nuts . she beautiful ! people doubted ledger but he made that movie amazing. its one of the best hands down . she will be great.

January 20, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  156. citizenUSA

Yeah... send her over to my house.

January 20, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |