'Pretty Little Liars': 'A is for Alison'
January 18th, 2011

'Pretty Little Liars': 'A is for Alison'

Last night’s episode of “Pretty Little Liars” is why I - as well as 3 million other viewers - can't stop watching.

A wise friend of mine recently equated the breakout series with ABC's "Lost." You find so much out every episode, yet you never find anything out. And on that note...

Home from their honeymoon early, Melissa and Ian exchange heated whispers at the kitchen table. Spencer tries to spy on the newlyweds, but, thanks to a creaky staircase, she ends up having to dart back to her bedroom to avoid getting caught. Was anyone able to make out what they were saying?

Upon returning to her room, Spencer gets an e-mail: “Married for love, or an alibi? –A”

So does this mean Melissa and Ian are not A? When could they have sent the e-mail? And, better yet, why would they want to draw attention to their sham of a marriage?

The next day, Spencer calls the Hilton Head resort from the tags on Ali’s luggage and Ian’s golf clubs. Using a spot-on Southern accent, she uncovers that Ali and Ian were, in fact, at the resort the same weekend.

Shortly after, Agent Cooper, the detective assigned to Ali’s case, walks over to Spencer and Emily to tell them she’ll be leaving Rosewood soon. “I came here to find the person who killed your friend,” she says with a smile. That was just disturbing.

Speaking of disturbing, A continues to leave Hanna cryptic notes on $100 bills, such as, if you want your money back, go to the bakery and eat six cupcakes topped with frosted pigs… then purge. Noel just so happens to be nearby while this takes place.

Hanna eventually finds a large sum of money taped to a paper towel in the dispenser on the bathroom wall. Wonder what she’ll have to do to get the rest of her mom’s stolen cash back.

Speaking of Hanna, her broken leg seems to have healed alarmingly fast. Good for her.

In other news… Emily and Maya continue to play footsie with each other. Which would be fine if Emily’s understanding dad were still home. Her mom is another story. Maya leaves her backpack behind when she storms out, and, naturally, Emily’s mom decides to poke around.

The most important thing to remember about snooping: If you go looking for something, you will find it. And that’s the story of how an Altoid tin and two joints ruined Emily’s relationship and Maya’s life. Say no to drugs, kids.

Though, thanks to her friends, Emily and Maya are reunited for one last night of candles and slow-dancing high school style before Maya heads to juvenile detention camp.

In more newlywed news: Melissa and Ian are trying to get pregnant. Ian isn’t pleased that Spencer knows their plan to procreate, but, in the creepiest way possible, acknowledges that he knows she’s able to keep a secret. Dun, dun, dun…

One “Veronica Mars” reference later (thank you, ABC Family), Aria spots her brother talking with Noel. Could that be how A gets his dirt? Doubtful.

When Noel approaches Fitz about his paper for the second time, Fitz looks like he might bust out the white flag, or, as Mona would say, a white La Perla bra. Anyone else catch the emphasis Noel put on the letter A when telling Fitz to change his grade? But, long plotline short, Fitz gives Noel a C and decides to resign from his teaching position.

Of course, thanks to the real A, Noel’s reputation with the administration is tarnished when answers to upcoming midterms magically appear in his locker.

That would be because “A is for Alison, not amateur.”

The episode ends with the girls looking through Ian’s boxes while someone else, presumably A, looks in on them through the window of Spencer’s house.

And then, a text: “Don’t say I never gave you anything. Turn on your computer. –A”

It’s the complete video of Alison that was filmed the morning of her disappearance. And as the camera turns around, Ian’s face fills the screen. Setting the camera down in the dirt, the girls hear leaves rustling and quick breaths in the background. Then, Alison’s limp hand falls to the ground. Seconds later, she clenches her fist. What’s the consensus – is she in pleasure or pain?

What did you think of last night’s episode?

1. red wine

I just couldn't go away your web site prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard information an individual provide for your visitors? Is going to be back steadily in order to inspect new posts

August 29, 2012 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. red wine

I do not even know the way I stopped up right here, however I believed this publish used to be good. I do not understand who you are however certainly you're going to a well-known blogger if you happen to aren't already. Cheers!

August 29, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. red wine

I will right away grasp your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

August 28, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. -A

Got a secret
    Can you keep it?
    Swear this one you’ll save
    Better lock it, in your pocket
    Taking this one to the grave
    If I show you then I know you
    Won’t tell what I said
    Cause two can keep a secret
    If one of the m is dead…

I could not keep secrets
    So
    I died
    Stay away from me , my tiny puppets
    Because Alison came back
    and I will not forgive
    Nobody

February 5, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lorin

Just curious Peter, how does one not reading a book make them a slob? lol Furthermore, it wouldn't make a difference if you read the book or not because the two will have different story lines...

January 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. melissa

love this show i'm so confused on who A is but i still think that melissa and her husband has something to do with who A is.

January 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marissa

Oh my, I dont even know what to think of this show. I love it and cant stop watching. The relationships and problems which arise are incredible at keeping the audience attacked. Can't wait for next week.

January 18, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sunless

get to that http://www.supersonic.us.com

January 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Thad Castle

@ peter jennings
    they already said the tv show will be different from the books

January 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Subi

I definitely think Melissa and Ian have something to do with Alison's murder. Because Melissa was really in love with Ian and I think she found out Ian was seeing Alison so she probably killed Alison and Ian was there. I think that's why they broke their relationship off in the first place to stay away from each other so the cops won't suspect them! Now, they are back together and got married very quickk sooo something is definitely going on between those two.!!!!!!

January 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mormon

So... Do they start to make put in this scene?

January 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. peter jennings

A is MONA! Read a book you slobs!

January 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leean

You slobs its is diiferent from the books! If you did the reseach!!! So bo yeah! It is NOT Mona

January 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lorin

In the episode before last nights Melissa is conforting Spencer who explains that Hanna was hit by a car, when she tells Melissa she seems so nonchalant on the issue and calm, almost like she knew this already. I definitely think Ian and Melissa are one of the A's... or if they aren't one of the A's they definitely know who A is. I feared for Spencer when she was easedropping on Melissa and Ian... Ian definitely gives me the creeps. I guess he said that he knew that she knew how to keep a secert for when they kissed and she never told anyone other than Allison. The episodes just keep betting better and better. I can't wait for next weeks! :)

January 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |