Lea Michele apologizes for 'True Grit' star snub
January 17th, 2011

Lea Michele apologizes for 'True Grit' star snub

She may be tough as nails in "True Grit," but Hailee Steinfeld admits she was brought to tears by Lea Michele after the "Glee" star snubbed her.

"I was auditioning for 'True Grit,' [and] I was on the Paramount lot. I was wearing clothes from the 1800s that were big and uncomfortable," 14-year-old Steinfeld recalled to J-14. Suddenly she spotted Michele, who shoots "Glee" on the lot, heading to her trailer.

"I walked up to her and asked for her autograph, but she walked by and a guy came and said, 'Sorry, now's not a good time!'" says Steinfeld. "I was practically crying on the way home."

Despite being blown off, Steinfeld isn't upset with Michele.

"Everything is totally fine," she told MTV. "It was just really bad timing, and I was so embarrassed because of what I was wearing. The only thoughts that were going through my head were, 'Oh my God, Lea Michele thinks I'm a total freak.'"

For her part, Michele, 24, says she feels sorry about the situation.

“I heard Hailee was upset and [I] feel terrible," Michele said in a statement to Gossip Cop. "The ‘Glee’ schedule is so jam-packed that the PA probably pulled me so that I wouldn’t be late to set. I never meant to hurt her feelings. She’s an extraordinary talent and I look forward to meeting her one day.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • movies • television

1. candice 85

sucks to her. hailee's nominated for an oscar while lea's ..... not.
    she's just a poser who attends the opening of an envelope. not buying the non-apology

December 12, 2011 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jillian8

I really cannot stand that Lea Michele. This is NOT the first time the stuck up star has snubbed someone. Kelly Osborne was the first, when she disclosed it on Fashion Police. What's more I really LOATHE her high squeaky voice. (BTW 'Glee' is overhyped!) The only redeeming factor ? – she's a great dresser.

February 14, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. the_dude

As with all things in hollywood the winner of this argument will come down to who has the bigger boobs and who is the hottest. The hottest is always right in hollywood.....sorry Hailey.

February 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. michael

Let me tell you people, I've worked in the entertainment industry for years. My brother has consistently worked for over 30 years and you know what the first thing you're taught is? Don't take anyone for granted. You never know who might be in a position to help you one day. All I hear about Lea Michelle is what a diva she is. She didn't care about this girl getting her autograph until the girl was in a hit movie. Well, it could easily work out that Glee is cancelled and this girl can help Michelle get a job at some point. Gee, gonna feel kinda stupid then aren't ya?

February 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolzfordays

Dumb. Would we have even heard about this if the girl wasn't in a hit movie? You can hate Lea and be a sheep that buys into whatever the "media" and its "unnamed sources" tell you, but don't be deluded enough to think you're going to stop hearing about her when Glee is over. She has her entire body through the door and enough talent and controversy to keep her there. You're talking about her aren't you? You all are...

February 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. vicki

who cares, they r just people not gods why u want an autograh

February 1, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Zappa Pipco

Lea who? Yep. Exactly.

January 31, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Millie Bea

The "diva" momens are adding up for this girl- she's not going to be invited to the Big Show of movies and so forth if she doesn't get a grip on herself. No one is that fabulous.

January 31, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jennie

Sorry, this girl has diva written all over her. When Glee first kicked off a local NYC radio station had an big marketing event at a midtown bookstore. My daughter "won" a special entrance ticket (along with about 50 others) allowing her to walk through a reception line meeting the entire cast. She was blown away by their friendliess and approach-ability, all except for Lea Michele who was just "too much of a star" to be bothered with the fans who were there to meet her.

January 31, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • sorry that happened

sorry that happened to your daughter, it sucks when someone you look up to snubs you like that.
      but you can tell her that after lea leaves glee she won't be shining like she used to, she'll just be an after thought

January 31, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eliane

The starlets of Glee are flashes in a pan and it is not hard to se that In a few years The Glee club will become a faded memory while Steinfeld will become a star. Glee geeks, get over yourselves!

January 31, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lauren

Little girl get over it! Glee cast members have a crazy schedule. Plus dont start judging people after a 14 year old gets embarrassed. Lea Michele is talented and deserves a lot more than what everyone gives her.

January 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Denise

CAn't wait until that little girl wins an OSCAR. Poor Lea...That is just going to kill you isn't it darling...Karma is baddddd!

January 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jully

This is an example of a tiny incident being blown way out of proportion because it makes for a more sensational story that way. It is the writer of the piece who uses the words 'brought to tears' and 'snubbed'. Hailee seems to have been more embarrassed by what she was wearing than anything else. She is only 14 and Lea Michelle is also young. This little bit of information, supplied by Hailee, is being mined for all the distortion possible, and if both girls remain in the business they will become more and more closed off from speaking. If you can't say any little thing, because the tabloids will turn it into an imaginary drama, you end up speaking only in scripted responses. You can't blame Lea Michelle because her response sounds scripted – it has to be.

January 26, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sarie

OK, I was a fan of Glee when it first started, and then it just got a little annoying and old. The story lines kept getting more and more ridiculous and it seemed like they were just trying too hard. I really wasn't a fan of Lea Michele's character, and as the show went on it turned to downright annoyance at her–not only the character, but the way Lea portrays her. And I cannot stand the faces she makes when she sings–ugh!! After reading this, it just reaffirms that I really don't like her. Get over yourself!! I get that it can be annoying having people approach you all the time, but at least the people approaching you are happy to see you–would you rather have a job in customer service where people are just angry before you even have a chance to say anything? At least she is doing what she loves for a living, and it makes her a lot of money; not a lot of people can say that.

January 25, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joe Kenadee

What a wonderful ending to this story D list actress (if you can call her that) gives unknown fan the cold shoulder who goes on to become the new A list child actress. I'm sure Lea is only sorry the kid became a huge star overnight so this story wouldn't be as big as it has become. Lea hollywood mantra diamonds in your pockets on Monday could become Mac and cheese on Tuesday. In other words don't sh** on the nobody's they Karma will make them into someone.

January 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. g

Lea Michele is a big ol' jerk! She's not all that, get over yourself!

January 24, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tom

What does one do with an autograph? Take it home and admire it? Keep it under one's pillow? Worship it? What a waste of one's time it is to desire someone else sign their name on a scrap of paper.

January 24, 2011 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  17. Massive eye roll

Honestly, I can't wait for the day that Hailee doesn't have time to sign an autograph and gets blasted in the media for it. Sometimes, it just isn't a good time kid. This story is ridiculous and the way the media is treating Lea Michele lately is borderline harassment.

For the record, Hailee gave a strong performance in True Grit but she wasn't "omg amazing." I think people are far more impressed due to her young age than anything. Still, Jodie Foster she is not. Let's keep some perspective people.

January 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Brhynn

One person says she was on the way to her trailer, another says she was on the way to the set and it was the PA's fault for dragging her away. I wouldn't snub anyone who is the reason why I'm getting paid.

January 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DancingThruLife

I agree with Sara and YupYup. Not only are actors on an extremely tight schedule, they often didn't get the script for the show they're filming until just a few days earlier, depending on where in the week it is. And, as the show is Glee, you've also got to include in her schedule dance rehearsals and vocal rehearsals, as well as performance rehearsals. Then when they actually film, they repeat the same thing, over, and over, and over, sometimes as many as 20 or 30 times, until the director has the shot he wants. They have to get there at 4am for make-up and costumes – again, on a tight schedule so that the entire cast can be seen – and if they're smart, they'll try to fit in vocal and physical warm ups before rehearsals so that they don't injure themselves.

Now, I don't know about you, but I know that after an 8 hour day working at the library – I'm beat; totally ready to go home. I don't care if your sisters, mothers, brothers, doctor's nurse, works 18 hour says and is really St. Brigid. We're not talking about them. If I had to spend 14 hours a day memorizing lines, learning dance steps, learning harmony on songs, testing costumes and make-up, walking through scene blocking dozens of times, and all without making a single person after me late? I would be distracted, and pretty disinclined to stop and sign autographs when I was on my way to the stage, where I had been summoned.

You're on the same lot. If it's that important, write me a letter and send it to my trailer.

January 18, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bren

Yes, but Lea Michele probably makes a librarian's salary/year PER episode...or even more. She could take a minute out of her busy schedule and sign an autograph; Hailee took a moment out of her busy schedule to try to get the autograph, while being in full costume. True Grit was an awesome movie and Hailee did a wonderful job acting in it.

January 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • cb

I agree, and to the people pointing out how much more money she makes, what is that even pointing out? That if you are earning more money you are less tired, or your day feels less long?

February 8, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sara

I doubt anybody bashing Lea here has ever worked on a film or TV show set. Actors CANNOT be late – if they are, they make longer days for everyone working on the production, including people who don't make a lot of money like grips and prop people and the custodians who clean the sets. I worked on a big budget Hollywood movie (27 Dresses) as a catering assistant, and if Katherine Heigl and James Marsden had stopped to give autographs and take pictures with everyone who wanted them, they never would have gotten ANY work done. That would have caused everyone, including people like me who was only making $8 an hour, to have to stay very late.

January 18, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • YupYup

I was about to say this. If everyone were hounded for photos and autographs whenever they left their desk at work to go get something from the supply cabinet or to grab a quick cup of coffee, I bet they would change their tune.

January 18, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • bo

but hailee was the only one asking! i've know with people who have worked at disney and knew many of the disney stars. even a dumb studio like disney has actors and actresses (gomez and cyrus to name a few) who are bigger than lea and make more money than her, who have the time to stop their busy lives to sign an autograph so if she's gonna use the p.a. excuse and you're gonna defend her than i have to say that you're even more of an ass than she is.
      yeah you might work with a catering company but movie productions and tv productions are very different (movies are done quick so they don't go over budget so when the big pay day comes in they get more, tv shows have a steady income but take less time to film because 14 hours of filming= 1 hour or 40 minutes of show time) she had the time and even if she didn't she could have signed a piece of paper and given it to her p.a. or a security guard and asked if they could deliver it to hailee. and like everybody else has said haillee is gonna last longer than the show glee and lea combined.

January 31, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • nissa

OK so now we know whose PR firm you work for.

February 14, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mr. X

Smooth move Lea, you snob.

January 18, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. AJ

Hailee will probably/should soon have an Oscar nomination under her belt and long career as a great actress while Lea will soon be a "has-been" so there is karma. I'm glad Hailee spoke up to show how full-of-themselves these "stars" can be!

January 18, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  23. BLS!

Man, I can't believe someone on a current show apologized for not signing an autograph for someone who was yet to be, and of course became, someone of note in a current movie! And of course that'll likely pass. How odd and unexpected. I once told a future powerball winner GFY. Who knew? I should have seen his winnings coming. Dang, I forget his name. Life is crazy. People are dumb.

January 17, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. azulle

karma is a B**** Lea... For how ever good she is on the show... she couldn't manage to snag an award last night.

January 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Truth

Sorry Lea, No excuse for ignoring your fans, especially the kids. I love her voice, but too bad she is choosing to be the cliche 'bad diva'. She should study Cher, Celine, Janet & Mariah so she can learn from the masters on how to treat her fans better. Meanwhile that little girl was awesome in True Grit and stole the movie....and is now the youngest Academy Award Nominee! What's the verse... 'And the last shall be first!'

February 1, 2011 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  25. B=Dog

What a farking little beech! It takes TWO SECONDS to sign something, and you are blessed enough to fans for your unwatchable POS show! FOR SHAAAAAAAME! Making a little girl cry. Then blame the PA? Sorry but PA's don't tell the "stars" what to do. Hailee Steinfeld is a GREAT talent, she was awesome in True Grit and I can't wait until she's a bigger star than this B word.

January 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Richard

No need to worry – in a few years Lea Michele will be a trivia question.

January 17, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Alicia

Lea is always being a diva biotch! Get over yourself!

January 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Seriously?

Okay. She apologized. Can everyone move on? The entire cast and crew of Glee works 14 hour days (on average) so I think if she "snubs" anyone, it's probably for good reason. Do you really think any of them have time for autographs with such demanding schedules? And fine, maybe she did ignore this girl because she had other stuff on her mind or she wasn't in the mood to give out an autograph. Who knows? Before making assumptions, just look at it in a different point of view and give these guys a break.

January 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • BS

NOT 14hours a day!!! OH NO!!! I have to deal with ppl for 18hrs with no weekends and tend to my family to ensure their needs are met. If you think 14hrs a day is stessing then, you're no better than she. Get off the high horse and walk around a little bit.... It's selfish....

January 18, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

I agree with BS. A 14 hour day? Please! It's a very pampered and very well paid 14 hour day, so don't tell me she couldn't take THREE SECONDS out of her day to scribble her name on a piece of paper, smile, and say hello...especially to someone who was already on the Paramount lot. It's not like she ambushed her while she was trying to eat dinner or something.

January 18, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • a person

I agree even more with BS! That rediculous if you cant take 3 seconds draw a squiggle on a strip of paper and say nice to meet you. And Also I gotta say, True Grit was an AMAZING movie, one of my favorites. And lastly... glee sucks

February 3, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Cookie

Get over it !

January 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Pookie

Nothing odd about this. This sounds JUST LIKE diva Lea Michele to me. At her finest. Always the snotty diva who never has time for the little people. Everyone knows this chick is a snob looking down her nose at everyone because she's so much better than everyone. I'm sure young Hailee was merely one of dozens Lea ignored that day.

January 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. SCott

What she needs to do is apologize for wearing that awful dress.....

January 17, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. John

The only problem with Lea's response is, she's blaming the PA for pulling her away, but she snubbed the unknown-then autograph seeker BEFORE the PA got involved. I've worked on movie lots before; if you're someone, the stars will acknowledge you. If you're not, you are invisible... even annoying.

January 17, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • drake

Fortunately, there will be justice. The bigger you think you are... the harder the fall..... and, your "fall" is coming Lea.

February 12, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |