Elijah Wood excited for 'Hobbit' reunion
January 17th, 2011

Elijah Wood excited for 'Hobbit' reunion

"Lord of the Rings" fans aren't the only ones geeking out over the news that several cast members have signed on to do the two-part "The Hobbit" saga.

Frodo Baggins himself tells the Hollywood Reporter he can't wait to reunite with his co-stars.

"[Ian] McKellen is back, Cate Blanchett is back, Andy Serkis, and Orlando [Bloom] — it's going to be like going back in time," says Elijah Wood, who will reportedly appear at the beginning of both "Hobbit" movies, narrating from a memoir that his uncle Bilbo Baggins left behind.

While Wood is looking forward to filming with his former cast mates, he says it's unlikely that they will re-seal their bond by getting inked with tattoos, as they did while making the original "Lord of the Ring" flicks.

"This time around, I don't think so," says 29-year-old Wood, whose torso bears the Elvish word for "nine," a reference to the number of members of the Fellowship. "But you never know."

"The Hobbit," which stars Martin Freeman as Bilbo, is scheduled to begin shooting in New Zealand in February.

The films are currently slated to arrive in theaters in December 2012 and 2013.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Hostile Fay

BOTH movies? They split into two parts? First I've heard of it ( I know, where have I been?? lol)

Wellll.... okay... ;)

February 11, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. chris

legolas is from mirkwood and his father being king of mirkwood so him having a part in the film isnt so weird as i believe it will only be a cameo i think that may also be the reason behind galadriel being in it attending the kings feasts in mirkwood as for saruman i dont think he is in it i heard that christopher lee wanted to but doesnt think he can fly to new zealand to film it at his age and with health problems

January 18, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David

Well in, John. Terry, they're going to do a tie in to the LOTR in part two of the Hobbit. At least that's what I think I read Guillermo saying and it's the only explanation for the inclusion of Legolas, Galadriel and Saruman.

January 18, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. terry

I can understand why Mckellen, Serkis, and Weaving would take part (their characters are pivotol in the book) but Hobbit doens't have Legolas, Frodo, or Galadriel. Come to think of it, since it takes place 60 years before the War of the Ring, Frodo wouldn't have been born yet!

January 18, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
    • John

You're obviously a rabid little fan geek of the series, yet didn't bother to read the short little article here? Where it clearly states he's "narrating from memoirs that his Uncle Bilbo Baggins left behind."

January 18, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin McCary

I am glad that Elijah is in the movie he is a good actor

January 17, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kenton

Great news I loved LOTR trilogy. They stayed somewhat along the line of the books but the changes were good nothing drastic that hurt the movies. If they do the same with Hobbit it should be series.

January 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dave

If the 2 Hobbit flix are half as good as the LOTR trilogy, I'll love them. Cool that Elijah got in on it, he earned it. I don't think he can hurt. I do hope they stay tru to the book, as they did in LOTR (except for the chapter progression, which in book form wouldn't have worked in the movies).

January 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

well, they stayed "true-ish" to the books in LOTR – lots of changes, with the biggest change being Arwen, and several significant characters ditched – but I loved the movies, no doubt ! I'm very much looking forward to the Hobbit movies, they should be awesome..

January 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |