Anthony Hopkins: Tequila nearly undid me
January 17th, 2011

Anthony Hopkins: Tequila nearly undid me

Anthony Hopkins battles the devil as a priest who specializes in exorcisms in "The Rite," but in real life, he's battled a different demon: alcohol.

"I drank anything I could back in the old days," Hopkins, 73, tells CNN. "Whatever I couldn't eat — whatever I couldn't chew — I [drank]."

The Oscar winner, who admits he was once quite the partygoer, says one drink in particular almost destroyed him. "Tequila was my hooch," he says. "That nearly undid me, drove me nuts, so I stopped."

These days, Hopkins — whose supernatural thriller opens January 28 — sticks to drinks that are "very civilized," he says. " I just drink tonic water now or iced tea."

In "The Rite," Hopkins confronts spirits of a different kind, but says that off-screen he fears no evil. "There's the old karma," he explains. "If you do bad things in this life, they'll reproduce themselves."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. 12k13 Victory...Not Anthony

Church

March 10, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Teddy Ramkissoon

Sir Philip Anthony Hopkins, CBE (born 31 December 1937) is a Welsh actor of film, stage, and television, and a composer. Considered to be one of the greatest living actors,Hopkins is perhaps best known for his portrayal of Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs, its sequel Hannibal and the prequel Red Dragon. Other prominent film credits include The Mask of Zorro, Meet Joe Black, The Lion in Winter, Magic, The Elephant Man, 84 Charing Cross Road :

Please do find out about our favorite web site
    <'http://www.caramoantourpackage.com

March 10, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. richard

i want tu tell to antony hopkins tank you , hi had saved my life.

February 13, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Meso Hawnee

I bet more than one it got him to pull down his zipper INtheGAYbars.

February 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cretia

This man is a CONSUMMATE actor! he is amazing.

January 26, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Victor

He looks so frail in that picture. Almost sickly.

Hope he's doing ok health wise.

January 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kathy777

seems alcohol always "ends up" this way.....downer.

January 18, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dave

It lookslike it didn't do him any favors either. He's gotten old since Hanibal days. Then again so have I, I suppose.

January 18, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Beautiful Vixen

Yea I'm glad I don't drink much. I don't even like it anymore. A drink once in a while is okay.

January 18, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. PoisonedBarb

So glad Mr. Hopkins decided to get rid of it. Congratulations for making it nearly three-quarters of a century. Not all partiers do! God continue to bless you! Love your acting. Sincerely, PB

January 17, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Laurette

I know of what Mr. Hopkins speaks. I haven't entirely finished my dance with tequila but right now we're not on speaking terms.

January 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dave

Tequila's nasty. I dislike all hard liquor. I like beer and wine (not at the same time -_-) in moderation, after the work week is done. I also respect people that give it up completely. There are lots of other ways to have fun.

January 17, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |