Shannen Doherty: I don't want a 'Heathers' sequel
January 13th, 2011

Shannen Doherty: I don't want a 'Heathers' sequel

Fans of the '80s movie "Heathers" were ecstatic over the 2009 announcement that a sequel to the movie about the original high school mean girls was in the works. But the flick's follow-up may have been killed, and star Shannen Doherty couldn't be happier.

"I'm weird about sequels to movies like 'Heathers,'" 39-year-old Doherty — who appeared alongside Winona Ryder and Christian Slater in the dark comedy — told CNN. "'Heathers' was a cult classic, and I think it should stay that and not be revamped or redone another way. It was amazing and amazing for that time period, and it can stay there. I'm very proud of that movie. It makes me nervous to see it messed with again.”

Ryder, however, is disappointed that the sequel talks have stalled.

"There was an idea, and I was sort of, like, on their back about like, 'We've gotta do it because, you know, Heathers exist outside of high school,'" Ryder, 39, told MTV. "There was this whole idea that [screenwriter] Dan [Waters], you know, came up with, with some little additions from me. At one point, I really wanted it to happen and was trying to get everyone riled up. But last I heard, who knows?"

According to Ryder, her co-stars seem unwilling to commit. "Everyone's doing their things right now," she said.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • television

1. Trevor

Wow! I would have though Shannon would want the pay check, she's not getting a whole lot of work these days anyway!

January 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. christopher

Considering that Kim Walker died in 2001, I don't see how or why a sequel should be considered.

January 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

Kim Walker's character also died in the original so she wouldn't really be needed for a sequel.

January 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. james brandenstein

But Hollywood always screws up good movies by making quick cheap sequels. Or quick cheap remakes.

January 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. with a chainsaw

The movie was a cult classic but I don't think a sequel would be good. It was very funny and a hit with my generation. It was in a pre-Columbine time. I think because of shootings and suicides recently the comedy if made today would be politically incorrect. I hope to see Ryder in other things though because I am a big fan and miss her in the movies.

January 13, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. cheefsfury

NIETHER DOES AMERICA

January 13, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • carol

OMG...what is up with these actresses and their cheek fillers? Don't they know how rediciculus they look? Katie Holmes looks the same stupid with hers.

January 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |