McGraw: Drunk texting helped me quit drinking
January 13th, 2011

McGraw: Drunk texting helped me quit drinking

Tim McGraw learned to text when he was drinking heavily - he knew if he called his wife, Faith Hill, she would know he’d been indulging. But then even text messaging got him in trouble.

"I started slurring my texts and I figured, 'Hell, I've got to quit drinking,'" he told On The Red Carpet. "That's the only thing that's going to work.”

McGraw, who has three daughters with Hill, gave up alcohol in 2008. The couple has been married since 1996.

"Faith has kept me alive," McGraw told PEOPLE.com. He says if it weren’t for his wife, "I'd be dead. I would have partied too hard… She's saved my life in a lot of different ways - from myself more than anything. She's loved me through times when I didn't love me.”

McGraw has been making the media rounds promoting “Country Strong,” which is in theaters now. Check out the EW.com review here.

1. paulette

Just saw him in concert Friday night, came on stage 30 minutes late and wasted,missed lines in song and it was unbelievable because I had seen his show in the past and it was amazing,but it was apparent he was drunk,he did say his wife was at home and he had cousins visiting with him , so maybe they were partying before the show ,hope this is not a problem and was a one time deal, but if you have ever had Alcohol problem s one time is one to many.

April 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alex

who the eff is Tim McGraw?

January 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. judy rosier

I still love you and your music both you and faith are awesome singers i am a grandma and i was raised in detroit but country music is my thing, people make mistakes in life you were smart enough to marry someone who saw the good and bad in you and helped you through the tough times, thank you both for your wonderful music one day i hope i can afford tickets to see you both perform your awesome. thank you

January 20, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Eve

Unless he has a driver, I'm guessing he was drinking and driving also, unless he spends the night wherever he's drinking. You would think being the Dad of 3 young children who depend on you would be cause enough not to be out drinking, driving and texting at his age. Grow up Tim before you kill someone else's kids. It' obvious you don't care much about your own or you would stop all your childess ways!

January 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Myra Robinson

did you get the part,Eve,that Tim was not driving while he was texting his wife,he was walking outside a hotel he was at when he was doing talk shows. no,he was not driving and drinking and texting. he was walking.

January 25, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Noble1

Here may be a tip not sure and I can not get the data..being blocked so here is name that may be tied to the fake wedding or wedding in 1996. Cheryl Wolfe ..not sure of the spelling but this may be another name for Faith..

January 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. pluto

^Article says nothing about Driving..any driving. It says drunk Texting. No cars involved.

January 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Janet in Brentwood TN

Well it's awfully good to know that while I was driving my children up and down Concord and Franklin Roads and 65, he was out there right next to us driving drunk. He should be ashamed of himself. Maybe his publicist should spend her time volunteering him for DARE in our schools rather than placing his amusing anecdotes about drunken driving in the entertainment pages.

January 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. teresa, ohio

According to the McGraws, or WHAT they wanted us to believe: they had the perfect marriage, perfect life, perfect careers, perfect kids....

How'd such a nice fella turn into a drunk texter? It's always the woman who saves the man.... the man usually leaves a drunken woman...

@megan: they opened themselves to observation when they made the media rounds telling the world how happy they were and they were so lucky... blah blah blah. ergo: they lied. But yes, indeed, we are all very happy he quit drinking. really. truly.

January 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Megan

i think all of you guys are making something out of nothing. they dont have a perfect marraige, no one does. he quit drinking good for him. all you people that are talking crap are most likely and have crappy lives and you need to pick on them to make yourselves feel better. so shut up.

January 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Noble1

Which one it the true redneck?? Funny but I see her as the redneck..

January 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Wonderful... the feel good story of the year. A redneck comes to the startling realizing that being a fall down drunken idiot may not be the best lifestyle choice. Holy cow, call A&E now! This smells of day time TV Emmy award!

America is doomed!

January 16, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  12. froggyalley

he's lucky to have someone to love him through the crazy times, and even luckier to know it. Many men just change the scenery and take their problems with them. Good luck with that!

January 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Noble1

to 2sides2acoin your name implies you wish to explain something about my post as another side..but at the same time you do not deny any of it.. so whats the other side say??? or is WHAT the response??

January 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Noble1

No wonder Tim has had drinking problems and issues that his friends refer to as living a double life.. It must be like that double existence or exposure a person see in their videos.. Especially Faith.. seems you are possessing yourself with something and it tries to leave while your on stage..

January 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Noble1

The media needs to do some research on Tim and Faith's "perfect marriage" .. is there such a record???? Or was the marriage record prior which is why they did the casual back yard word exchange.. So who does he refer to when he refers to his wife?? Faith the satanist.. the one he refers to holding her hand in the angel boy video??? or the real one??? Anyone figure out why they can not get a divorce..can not divorce someone you are not married to.. on the hand time to be a man Tim !!! Where is the wife?? What benefit comes from her?? Or is that what the game was?? Not unbroken now are you??? Please remember me has a neat meaning just everywhere!!!! Even better Dont take Girl.. I guess god did not but neither did you..you went for the demons.. Anyone notice how much Faith changes her body face hair. .. is she a shapeshifter, vampire, or what?? Oh and yes Faith's little spell to let him away for three days.. your face falls off and you need to attack someone without your angel boy to fix it.. Who is she trying to be?? Funny who is the heir for GE ?? Mcgraw/Hill is on the Distribution list for dividends is it the sons birthday Tim???? LIES LIES LIES only get you in trouble.. not such a perfect life ..I guess you spell do not work...

January 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2sides2acoin

WHAT????????

January 15, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • ??????

Were you drunk when you texted that?

January 17, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • SeanO

That was just about the most amazing thing I've ever read. Sheer awesomeness. Thank you for taking the time to post. It brightened my sad existence. So what's you're take on Mutt Lange and Shania?

January 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jason

Did anyone else notice the Grey Goose ad at the top right hand of the screen, kinda ironic?

January 14, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ncyankee

some of these comments are terrible, and should not be posted, and you all should not be guessing as to what is going on. Good luck to them both

January 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. rolyat

I think they're a great couple. But why is it in one photo he looks like Cousin "IT" from the Addams family and in another photo he is bald ? Let it go and be graceful. Your bald.

January 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Matt

Hay Im sory I hav a spilling probem. thnx for notising. ha

January 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Gaius Julius Caesar

Nice that you're quitting drinking Tim....although you may not be quite so popular with your redneck fanbase anymore.

January 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. bluesfan

most of you have a spelling problem

January 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Matt

I know drunk texting is so dangerous. You put many peoples lives in danger. Dont worry bout drunk driving though...

January 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. school

you mean faith and tim both have been with vicotria beckhams

January 14, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. school

you mean faith and time both have been with vicotria beckhams

January 14, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  25. britt

i head he has been with that victoria becham and faith has been beckham's husband just sayin

January 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ken jones

if u had there money would ustill have time for this nonsense

January 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. violet

can you read.??? he quit in 2008... he IS shaped up...

January 14, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  28. Mike

Tim is a great talent, successful. Has a beautiful talented wife and beautiful family. Why throw it all away or compromise it with alcohol?!!!? He needs to shape up!

January 14, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  29. Judy

Why do we feel the need to destroy successful people. Best wishes to Tim and Faith. Love their music, movies and family.

January 14, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. Michael

I saw Tim and Faith at the "country strong" after party in Nashville back in Nov. I had a glass of wine but wondered why he didn't have a drink in hand. They are both super nice genuine people.

January 14, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  31. dave

Not lifting the drink to your mouth might have worked too.
    Just sayin'.

January 14, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  32. Dan

aah, the lives of shallow celebrities.

January 14, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  33. Coors Queen

Before I die, I want 1 (one) drunken text from Tim McGraw................ whew!!

January 14, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  34. skinner

Faith is trash too. She was engaged to another man when Tim McRedneck knocked her up.

January 14, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Myra Robinson

Tim was on foot when he was texting her and she realized he was drunk,so he decided to stop drinking. by the way,Faith was engaged to Scott Hendricks when she started dating Tim and it does say in the book i have about them that Tim had to remind her she better let him know they were together,Scott learned about it when he saw them on stage singing and saw Tim kiss Faith. that is how he found out. Faith said she was so happy about finding Tim she just didn't have the guts to tell Scott. they were engaged two years. but hey,those things can happen to anybody. by the way Faith is not using drugs. she stays home to be a Mom. Scott has since then found a good woman and is very happy.

January 25, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jen

I like them, they're adorable!! Hope they make it, seems like no one does in the end...in Hollywood

January 14, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  36. Jan Michael Vincent

It's obvious that this is a BS report because everyone knows you don't text your wife when you're drunk. Now if this was about his mistress I could believe it.

January 14, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  37. mel

Hey portal maybe if were ever in a situation like him you would understand. And as far as your sarcastic comment goes, its people like me who make this world a better place :)

January 14, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  38. banasy

I wouldn't call it being judgmental, mel. I would call it "stating an opinion".

Did you expect everyone to be all warm and fuzzy because he's got the best of everything and almost threw it all away because he's a drunk?

I'm glad he's in recovery. I also think the way he's spreading his message is a bit self-serving. Read: flagging career.

That's an opinion, if you missed my first paragraph.

January 14, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Tina

You know, I see this reply SO OFTEN when someone doesn't have anything better to say. The only difference between an opinion and judgement is emotion. An opinion is generally an EDUCATED statement that lacks emotion and is open ended for debate; judgement is generally small-minded and rude or hateful.

I really wish people would quit using the "it's just an opinion" argument, it's old and useless.

January 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Kixtart

Too bad he didn't quit sooner....my wife and I saw him at a casino in Connecticut. He spent half the show below stage getting sick because of too much partying the night before (his first excuse) and then went on to blame getting sick from his kids. We paid a lot of money for those tickets only to watch half a show. They even brought the opening act back on stage in an attempt to smooth things over with the crowd. Turd......

January 14, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  40. Weldor

She did steal Dan Hill and Scott Hendricks, no surprise to hear that. I've heart the cocaine rumor too, plus Tim is a smoker.

January 14, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  41. mel

I cant't believe how judgemental most of you are. Alcoholism is a serious problem and he should totally get kudos for being in recovery.

January 14, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

mel, thank you for being the shinning beacon that corrects and saves all of us from ourselfs.

cheers!!!

January 14, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Believer22

Anyone can have or develop a drinking problem. I did, Thank God for my family. Alcoholic, no Thank God, but boy could I drink-why? I had, to other people "everything", yet to me I had problems & personal tragedies that ate me inside out. Counseling helped. AA, didn't fit in-doesn't bother me when other people drink-have a liquor cabinet full. I just really never liked drinking, just the escape it provided, Good for Tim-everyone thinks money & a good marriage solves everything, but personal deons can take it away...

January 15, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  42. Fred G. Sanford

After watching his latest movie.....I wish he would give up acting too.

January 14, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  43. pstlpknmama

Oh to be 25 years younger...McGraw and hill are a great couple

January 14, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  44. RIPTRACK

What a has been, this guy is a joke. What is he escaping from that he has to be wasted all the time, He's got money, a hot wife, kids, he's got the American Dream, so what's he trying to escape from????????????

January 14, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
    • RamRod

I don't think "has been" means what you think it does. He was just in a huge movie, you may have heard of called The Blind Side. He is all over the radio and he sells out concerts.

I don't care for him as much back in his younger years when he wrote some rowdy country songs, but still.

January 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

Chemical Dependency can happen to anyone; rich or poor, young or old, it's noble of him to admit that he had a drinking problem and found ways to get through it. Because MAYBE now a non-famous person may look to this article and see that if a famous person can be afflicted by this disease and get through it, he or she may be able to as well.

January 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Believer22

He's FAR from being a Has Been...

January 15, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  45. Atomic Bomb

Yes I always say the wrong things when I'm texting when drunk. It sucks and it gets people mad at you . Its no fun that for sure..lol

January 14, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  46. ohreally

According to Nashvillians Faith has a cocain problem as well...

January 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

Not to mention a problem indulging in other womens' husbands

January 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

If Faith likes to sleep around with married men, then I'm going to find a wife and move to Nashville, I'll take a serving of that.

January 14, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Run4DaHills

""According to Nashvillians..." Your gutless, anonymous statement about cocaine use and generalizing all Nashvillians as eye-witnesses to your claim, is not appreciated nor does it hold water. In fact, it's pointless without supporting evidence and qualified sources. I'm not even a fan of Faith Hill or country music nor do I care what Faith hill does or has done. Blindly, accusing anyone of illegal activity is wrong.

January 14, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • RW

Funny, I am a Nashvillian and haven't really heard of that once.

January 15, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  47. hopey

Would prefer he talk about indulging in faith.

January 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. scab

As harmful as drunk texting can be, it's still much safer than drunk sky-diving, drunk Rocky Mountain climbing, drunk 2.7 seconds on a bull named F U 2.

January 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Linda

Good for you Tim! Happy to realized this before you hurt someone or yourself....

January 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  50. D

That's pathetic

January 13, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jan Michael Vincent

He should have given up toupees at the same time.

January 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • shur53

lol..that was funny

January 14, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Lawrence

Was he texting, drinking, and driving at the same time? Texting and driving is bad. Drinking and driving is bad Is drinking and texting worse?

January 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • alan

I was thinking the same thing. Last time I saw him without a hat, I couldn't believe how bald he was getting. I'm glad he quit drinking though, because Faith deserves better than a drunken hubby.

January 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • RamRod

Yeah Alan. She deserves some stalker like you.

January 14, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • RamRod This

Probably more that she deserves a loudmouthed buffoon like yourself.

January 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • C.A. Morgane

Stop being such a poor loser! Are you a wanna-be country star? Plus, it helps to stay on topic-which is immensely helped by stopping the drinking and/or drugs....just sayin. Plus, women have every right to follow their whims & change their style, both inside & out.

January 15, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |