Halle Berry to play Aretha Franklin?
January 13th, 2011

Halle Berry to play Aretha Franklin?

Aretha Franklin's life story is making its way to the big screen, and Halle Berry may be stepping into the spotlight as the legendary Queen of Soul.

Sixty-eight-year-old Franklin — who says her health problems have been "resolved" — issued a press statement this week saying a biopic was in the works based on her 1999 autobiography, "Aretha: From These Roots," reports the Huffington Post.

The singer suggests she'd like Oscar winner Berry to portray her in the film, a suggestion she also made to CNN in December 2008, while Terrence Howard has been tapped for the role of Motown legend Smokey Robinson. Franklin's also interested in having Denzel Washington portray her father C.L. Franklin, a Baptist minister and civil rights leader.

In the release, the Detroit native — who will review the film's script next week — says all three actors are "enthusiastic about the project and have agreed to take on these roles, subject to further negotiation."

Washington in particular was said to be "very interested in the role," according to Franklin, who added that she "also had a very positive response from her in-person conversations with Terrence Howard and others."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Denzel Washington • movies • Music

1. site

Woah this blog is magnificent i really like reading your articles. Stay up the good work! You understand, many individuals are looking round for this info, you can help them greatly.

August 4, 2012 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. satellite navigation reviews

Excellent weblog right here! Also your web site rather a lot up very fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate link for your host? I desire my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

July 31, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. how do i last long in bed

Hello, i believe that i noticed you visited my weblog thus i got here to go back the prefer?.I'm attempting to find things to improve my web site!I guess its adequate to use a few of your concepts!!

July 31, 2012 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. danielwalldammit

Implausible casting choice at best. Both women would be better off without this.

July 31, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. short stories

This is very interesting, You're an overly professional blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to looking for more of your magnificent post. Also, I've shared your web site in my social networks

July 31, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. genitalwartsrx.com

I have learn some good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you set to create this type of fantastic informative web site.

April 2, 2012 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. TCking

Wait....are they sure this is right? I'm from Detroit and I heard her on the radio one day say herself that she wanted J Hud to play her. Where is the quote where she says she wants Halle to play HER. This article just says that she "suggests"...blah blah blah. I don't think I believe this. What I think is that she said she wanted Halle "in the movie", but I don't think she would want Halle to play HER. There is no resemblance and Halle doesn't sing (at least not like Re). I could be wrong, but what I think is that she wants Halle to maybe play her sister Carolyn, who was a big part of her life and also sang background for Aretha and wrote songs like "Ain't No Way"...AND there is actually a resemblance to her sister and Halle. Like I said...I heard Aretha HERSELF say she wanted J Hud to play her, along with Terrence H., etc. Peoples quotes always get so turned around...but if this is true...Oh well...

/Users/tishaking/Desktop/14388641_114840827730.jpg

March 1, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. ShiningStar

.......................................................................................................................................................................
    I am not a conformist and I usually don't go along with what other people say, but in this case, let's be for real. Just because Halle Berry is beautiful and she is one of the main top Black female actresses today, doesn't mean that she should play the role for many Black female legends. Other than acting abilities, the actors/actresses should look somewhat similar to the person that they are playing to make the film seem more realistic. (Remember The Temptations movie). One reason why that movie was soo successful is because Leon, who played David Ruffin, looked soo much like David Ruffin until it made David Ruffin come to life and Leon had the acting ability to capture David Ruffin to the tee. Halle looks nothing like Aretha, she cannot sing, and she really don't have that edge about her to act like Aretha Franklin. Yes Jennifer Hudson or even Queen Latifah would be better suited for that part. They are more similar to Aretha. They both can sing, and they have more of a stronger edge about them to play the part. I am glad that Aretha is making a movie based on her life, but Halle Berry is most definitely the wrong person to play her.

January 22, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robin

Jennifer Hudson should be offered this role hands down. Her vocal skill are that of an ARETHA. Halle, not a good look for me. But who am I to judge. LOL

January 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mz. carter

jennifer hudson shuld have gotten dat part lyke she is a better acterst than halle berry stupid azz.

January 19, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. YoMoma

Jennifer Hudson Desirves It F** Da Other Gurl

January 19, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. AuntieMame

Aretha may be the Queen of Soul, but she should leave movie casting to the professionals. Halle Berry does not resemble Aretha in any way, shape or form. Plus, she can't sing. Fantasia can sing, but she's no actress. I think that Jennifer Hudson and Jill Scott are both great choices for the role.

January 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeri

I think Jennifer Hudson would be the best fit for this role. Great talent all around. Halle Berry's vocal, and believablilty would not be a good sell for this.

January 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DON'T DO IT HALLE

This sort of thing happens when you get up in age like Aretha. You start to LOOSE YOUR MIND. Aretha must be crazy to even be considering Halle for this role. I love Halle. But the only thing Halle and Aretha have a going for themselves in acting and talent is – they happen to be of the female gender.

January 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Carrie

No disrespect to Halle Berry but Aretha Franklin? Its got to be Jennifer Hudson. I've never seen Kelly Price in anything but even that sounds more promising.

January 17, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  16. Honey

I VOTE FOR JILL SCOTT OR THE QUEEN LATIFAH...BUT JILL SCOTT COULD HIT IT OUT DA PARK. HALLE NO OFFENSE MS. FRANKLIN BUT GREAD ACTRESS, BUT BAD CHOICE. MOVIE WOULD FLOP

January 16, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. stu

Whitney Houston or Anita Baker.

January 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ohsnap

Halle Berry? Sorry, can't see it. I can see Queen Latifah doing it. Jennifer Hudson...the pipes and maybe acting chops...but still, Queen Latifah.

January 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ohsnap

Another choice would be Beyocne. I was impressed with her acting. I think she could pull it off...Latifah can sing, but not as good as Beyonce.

January 15, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

It HAS to be Mary J. Blige. She HAS the voice and the pain in her past. SO what if she's never acted before, NEITHER had Jennifer Hudson before Dream Girls. She's done little roles here ant there more than Jennifer had.It's about what you bring to the role. Mary has the voice and passion she can captivate us, Tats can be covered with makeup. Mary has the passion. Halle is a good beggar, good crier, but she doesn't have the FIRE required for the role. MARY DOES! She'd probably get an Oscar if given the chance.

January 18, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  19. QueenMary

BOO!! Halle Berry sucks eggs...but I guess if Aretha wants to be portrayed by a woman with the IQ of a doorknob just for her looks, then I guess Halle Berry is the right choice.

Aretha Franklin kinda sucks anyway...

January 15, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. heazaleo

Halle Berry definitely can deliver with this role, showing that she can portray a diverse range of people.

January 15, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • QueenMary

Excuse me, but did you see Swordfish, Monster's Ball, or *GASP* Catwoman??? (Among others) Halle Berry CANNOT ACT. And she tried to ruin Selina Kyle's image...she's totally D-list...She is a perfect example of someone skating by on their looks alone. I have seen her in interviews also...two words to describe her: "NOT SMART." So what is she going to do when her looks go?

January 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. KCV

I love Halle Berry, BUT why would she play Aretha??? They don't look alike and she can't sing...I agree Jennifer Hudson (or Jill Scott) would be ideal. I also think Angela Bassett should of played Storm, she resembled the real character physically and comes across a lot stronger...Halle was a weak Storm.

January 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kiki

Jennifer Hudson would be a better choice. Hale won't be able to pull it off. The only reason Aretha wants Hale is because she wished she looked like her. I'm not saying Aretha is ugly but she should choose someone who has more of a resemblance to her.

January 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  23. tom

OMG....Halle Berry is a great actress but PAAAlease..she is too beautiful, small and doesn't have the voice to play Aretha...Jennifer Hudson would be TERRIFIC.

January 15, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  24. joyce

Queen Latifah....has anyone seen her in Chicago & Hairspray? Also, jennifer hudson is good too.

January 15, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. Alexander Horn

Halle Berry is a very good actress but I don't think this is the role for her because she
    - can't sing
    - doesn't look at all like Aretha Franklin

Jennifer Hudson might indeed be a better choice in those regards.

January 14, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mary

I sure hope Aretha reads these posts. Because from what I read it is a resounding "No" for Halle. I agree. When I first heard this I thought it was a joke! NO NO NO!
    Jennifer or Mary J or SOMEONE else!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 14, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Deborah

Halle – No way! Aretha, what were you thinking? Jennifer Hudson is a hands down far better fit to do Aretha Franklin. JH has the look and of course the pipes ... that girl can sing! JH would be a way more realistic choice and gets my vote.

January 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Denise

Definitely Jennifer Hudson. She has it all and I think the next Aretha Franklin.

January 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  29. darlene d

I have to agree with the majority here and go with Jennifer Hudson. Halle is not the answer and Aretha Franklin needs to get her mind right on this one. I believe the only reason she doesn't want Jennifer Hudson to portray her is that Jennifer can really sing, and truth be known, singing way better than Ree Ree herself so she may be "hatin" on Jennifer. I'm just saying.

January 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Dei

Halle is beautiful, but she is not believable in ethnice roles. Sorry. Jennifer Hudson would be a much better fit. I don't want to watch a non-singer for possibly two hours fail at imitating one of the greatest singers of all time.

January 14, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  31. MattK

Halle Berry? Seriously? Two Words – Dream Girls. Hudson won an Oscar and is the best choice for the role to portray the Queen of Soul. You need someone that can belt out those tunes...

January 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. LINDA

HOLLY BERRY DOESN'T HAVE A SOULFUL BONE IN HER BODY. JENNIFER OR FANTASIA WOULD BE BEST SUITED TO GET THE DIVA PROTRAYED RIGHT

January 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Julie

Beyonce. Nuf said.

January 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  34. WLM

Oh Boy,.. Halle Berry would be terrible!! What a bad choice! I think that Jennifer Hudson would be amazing, Queen Latifa would be a good choice too but Halle Berry.. She is not the best actor, Aretha and her team are just looking to pull in big number with the stars instead of really thinking would would best suit the role...... Halle Berry is a poor choice....

January 14, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. JD

Raven could do this role very well

January 14, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • KCV

Great Suggestions!
      Raven SImone
      Jill Scott
      Latifah
      Angie Stone
      Beyonce
      Fantasia
      Jasmine Sullivan (if she can act)

January 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  36. dconley

not halle could not play the queen of soul . get someone else role will not fit her .

January 14, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  37. GingerTee

People should look at old pictures of Aretha, she was not always plus size.

January 14, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  38. GingerTee

Aretha has wanted Halle to play her since the 90s, long before we knew of Jennifer Hudson and I hate to say it but Lady Gaga is not the answer to everything. Halle is a beautiful woman and great actress and she would be great at this role. Diana Ross played Billie Holiday excellently so this is more than possible. The person that plays Aretha does not have to look like her, she has to be able to play the part. Aretha's early life was filled with great music and great pain due to romance. Halle will play this role devinely. She herself has lived an uneasy life and understands the trauma of bad relationships. No disrespect to Jennifer or anyone but I am excited about Halle.

January 14, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  39. awal

Toni Braxton should play Aretha

January 14, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  40. Judy

Jennifer Hudson, Queen Latifa or Beyonce would be great in this role. Am confident Halle will do her usual fantastic job if she does this role. I'm looking forward to this film regardless.

January 14, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. venishea

Halle love u girl. but i think jennifer hudson is best for the role.

January 14, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  42. Danni

I would love to see Aretha Franklin's story on the big screen. She's a wonderful and talented woman a key player in musical roots but her choice for Halle Berry to play her is a poor pick. I agree with most of the comments Jennifer Hudson would be perfect especially now that she thinner!

January 14, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  43. Rita

Maybe Halle can do it. Remember alot of actors put on weight to play a role. Robert DeNiro anyone. As far as singing, maybe they'll dubbed her voice like they did when she played Dorothy Dandridge.

January 14, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  44. TJ

Maybe Aretha is jealous or doesn't like Jennifer Hudson. How else can you explain her not wanting Jennifer to play the role. Remember there was some hosility towards Jennifer Hudson by Jennifer Holiday when she sang Holiday's signature song "I'm Telling You I'm Not Going". Maybe Aretha related to Holiday and resents Jen Hudson for doing that. I don't know. I love Halle but don't think she would be right for this role.

January 14, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  45. heycarrie ann

Say WHAT??!! Nothing against Halle, she was great as Dorothy Dandridge, but she was more the Dorothy Dandridge type. Consider Jennifer Hudson, Monique or Queen Latifa first. I realize it's Aretha herself suggesting her, and who wouldn't want Halle Berry portraying them, but I think a reality check is needed by the Queen of Soul.

January 14, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  46. derp

Halle would have to put on 200lbs to play Aretha. Besides, who would do the voice overs.

January 14, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  47. Maya

I defintely jennifer would be a great actress in this movie halle cant (not dat i noo of) she aint got duh curves nor skills like jennifer soo bye bye berry. maybe next time hunn rep new york

January 14, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  48. music lover

Queen Latifah can play this role too....

January 14, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  49. Cindie

You got to be kidding. Halle is not a good fit. I think that kelly price should do it. Dorn it let aretha franklin chose

January 14, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  50. Atomic Bomb

LMAO!!! Wow Halle Berry! Aretha I'm guessing hasn't looked in a mirror in a long time! I'm sure Halle Berry is laughing at that too. If this was April 1st, I would have thought it was an April fools day joke. Too funny! Keep dreaming Aretha.

January 14, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  51. karen

Aretha should be played by Jennifer Hudson. I feel Halle could do it, but as far as vocal range and depth needed to carry out that soul felt Aretha, well Halle can't blow like that. She kicked as- in Dorothy D. But Jennifer Hudson is the one to bring Aretha's story to life. Dude get real. Lip-sinc Mary J Blige couldn't pull this off if her own life was on the line. I'd pay her to go away if I had the money.

January 14, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Maurice

I wish Mary would go away also. Whoever was to star in Aretha's role would have to lip sync anyway cause they rarely ever use the real actor's voice in film when it comes to singing.

January 14, 2011 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  52. John Mahon

ATTN: Charles McGann.L. – What exactly is your problem?? Have trouble staying on topic often?? Do you hallucinate frequently???? Perhaps you should try posting elsewhere as you do not seem to be making any sense here. Please GO AWAY!!! Are you related to the WACKY PACKAGE in Arizona who was complaining about ILLITERATES!!!!!!!!

January 14, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  53. JB

JENNIFER HUDSON OR QUEEN LATIFAH

January 14, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • tonedeaf

Have you ever heard Halle Berry sing? Why did she get an oscar for taking her clothes off in Monster Ball. A whole lot of lip mouthing will be going on singing Aretha's songs. Jill Scott, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia Barrino, Beyonce, Queen Latifa, or Missy Elliott or Mary J Blidge are better choices to portray Aretha than Halle Berry in any movie pertaining to REE REE.

January 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  54. JB

I agree, Aretha can get anyone to portray. I can see Denzel and Terrence in their roles.
    However, I think she should have Jennifer Hudson or Queen Latifah to portray her.

January 14, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  55. Charles McGann. L

There running a low an claming napoilen to bypolar meds there using a powder prozertive in the meds for no rezion at all just to build up an shut down did nt a president use that fraze

January 13, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  56. JR

I think Gabourey Sidebe looks the most like Aretha. A thin actress will not be believable...at all!

January 13, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Charles McGann. L

Let me make some thing clear to you what you have bn doing to me an my family justes will b sirved you're system will have there crimnal record

January 13, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Charles McGann. L

The batel of egypt

January 13, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  59. NaturalWoman

Aretha's on drugs.

January 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Charles McGann. L

An then its like all that after the trees to revil breast cancer due to tourcHing a mail hua you know like the coutch on the black eye joke o yea let's run a low voltage an runaround bn so proud of who we r

January 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Valisha

To hell with Halle, Mary J. Blige, fits the personality, the soulful singing, and has that Aretha, swag mantality. Just looking at Halle facial expression she doesn't look to happy to play the role...Team Mary!

January 13, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Shanae

Halle Berry is a wonderful actress. However, I can't see her playing Aretha Franklin. Jennifer Hudson would be my actress of choice.

January 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Charles McGann. L

So egypt is where you build a dam them use speed a return of a shroud

January 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  64. God

Aretha has lost her mind! Even at her smallest size Aretha was still 50 lbs heavier than Halle Berry. This is what happens when u have yes men around you all of the time. They tell u whatever you wanna hear. And apparently Aretha thinks she is one of The finest women on earth. This would be like Roseanne wanting Megan Fox to play her in a movie. Go with Jennifer Hudson like everybody has already said.

January 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Charles McGann. L

How do you make a magnet look under the spinks

January 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Charles McGann. L

Back to a cat

January 13, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Charles McGann. L

Feed to a child an sayed nothing looks the same

January 13, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Charles McGann. L

Thouse trees where placed next to a lake

January 13, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Charles McGann. L

Pressure of air in a man made capsual in the depts on air to probly a rice plant I think it survived at the bace of the nial what's in the worm milk you bite on it it points out an realses a milk to make u throw up it up

January 13, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Charles McGann. L

Is herps the s on responabiltyearth wobles

January 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  71. JANET

MS FRANKLN IS FULL OF HERSELF!! SHE IS NOT EVEN RELEVENT THESE DAYS. THE STORY WOULD BE GOOD I'M SURE, BUT GET AND ACTRESS THAT WILL MAKE US BELIEVE IT'S ARETHA AND GET LOST IN THE STORY. LIKE JAMIE FOX AS RAY CHARLES!!!

January 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Charles McGann. L

O time capsules

January 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Charles McGann. L

Probly quick there a lot out there. The down of egypt or is it egypt

January 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Charles McGann. L

You can't poz a water in enough spots or quick

January 13, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Charles McGann. L

At that point its next to isn it

January 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  76. JANET

COME ON NOW ARETHA!!! MS. BERRY (NO WAY)

January 13, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Charles McGann. L

So its the end with a cure

January 13, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Charles McGann. L

Untel it gets the attion

January 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Charles McGann. L

Space produces water due to heating an cooling of molicules. One iceulated chain reaction

January 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  80. erika young

I think that Halle and Jennifer Hudson, should play aretha Franklin
    Halle could play aretha Franklin, when she was slim, the jennifer can play aretha as she gets a little bigger.so there you go for all the people who are trying to decide between, Halle and Jennifer. Problem solved!

January 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  81. patricia lumaava

Wonderful choices! Halle, Denzel, n Terrence are great actors! Halle n Denzel both are oscar winners n Terrence himself is a gifted n talented actor. Love all three.

January 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Paris Hilton

I think Aretha should make a movie about a overweight crime fighter who uses the drooping fat on her arms to ward off criminals. Can't you just see it?
    At the exact moment a bad guy is running out the doors of a bank he just robbed, Aretha yells " Rob this, Motherf*#ker", and whacks him upside his head with her backarm fat. Whap! Down goes the bad guy and Aretha sits on him until 5.0 shows up.
    I've seen worst movies...

January 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louisianian

Pathetically written. No matter what criticism, or in this case, ignorance is directed toward Ms. Franklin, it doesn't change the beautiful contribution she has given to the music world. Big or small, she's always been a classy lady. If she wanted to lose weight, I'm sure she has more than enough money to pay for surgery, etc. It's called being happy with yourself. It's amazing how lonely, broke people love to criticize others whose shoes they could not even begin to fill! I can't wait to see the movie! Whoever is chosen to play the part of Mrs. Franklin is being given a golden opportunity. I grew up listening to 'true' musicians, Ms. Franklin being one of many, whom we're losjng very quickly, like Teena Marie(R.I.P). This is not a weight issue being discussed here. Keep doing your thing, Ms. Aretha. You are the reason I'm pursuing my dreams. Halle, Jennifer, Mary J., are all great choices. It'd be any one of their priviliges, I'm sure. Ignorant people, posting idiotic comments, keep these superstars laughing all the way to the bank! Your comments don't stop the big bucks from flowing, lol.

January 14, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Vee

I guess that means noone cares what you think. I look forward to the movie.

January 16, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  83. Name*ac

Allen nance should play her father

January 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  84. vernon

I think Hale is good but for. A part like this need 2 be some one who can sing. Hale have that thing about her like jazzy but not this some one who I think should be. Queen ya'll no who I am talking about or Jennifer Hudson.

January 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  85. arnelle

Aretha was and is talented and soulful this a tall order to fill. I donot care who the actress is.

January 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Shay

I think Fantasia would do a wonderful job.

January 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Charles McGann. L

The shine out

January 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Charles McGann. L

That's got cured by a tec all ovver it

January 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  89. stefon

Oh Hellllll No...Halle couldn't even play a good Storm (xmen). Plus do we really want to see her lip sink the songs? I am sure there are plenty of talented unknowns that would do the queen justice.

January 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  90. tiina

Aretha is delusional.

January 13, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Moira

Halle Can act. Will b interesting 2 c.

January 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Washington87

I was wondering can Halle sing? What about Denzel?Mary J Blige or Jennifer Hudson would be fine choices. This clarifies to me the respect Aretha has throughout entertainment industry. I'm excited to see the film.

January 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • debra bolar henderson

Jennifer Hudson would be perfect, Halle is very good actress, but she has nothing in common with Aretha, plus like Jennifer, Aretha has always battled with her weight aand she has a strong voice, just lke Ree.

January 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  93. garyd

All the women mentioned are beautiful and extremely talented.Whoever is chosen will have big shoes to fill,Aretha Franklin is a living legend.The nice part is that today there are many young gifted women of color that come to mind.Hopefully the screenplay is worthy of it's subject matter the Queen of Soul.

January 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Clementine

Aretha, please be serious.If you want this project to be sucessful ,it has to be Jennifer Hudson. She can act (oscar and golden globe winner ) and other awards that she has received for her performance in Dream Girls,And a darn good singer which she can handle your music material with ease. Halle Berry might be good to look at but singing that raw soulful music she can't handle it.With Jennifer you are going to get the total package.You can take that to the bank.

January 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  95. shelley

that's RIDICULOUS!

January 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Maurice

Not only was Aretha smaller in her younger days, but Hallie has played a similiar star role many years ago when she portrayed singer and actress "Dorothy Dandridge". She did a excellent job in that movie. If you have not seen it then check it out. Jennifer Hudson and some of those other female names don't have any acting skills like Hallie, and would not make the film as big as a money maker that it could be.

January 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee Dee

Yes Halle portrayed Dorothy Dandridge beautifully with her acting skills as well as her external beauty that was captured however, when you are doing a biopic of someone's life the entire essence of their personna should come across the screen where the character's presence is such that it is hard to distinguish between fact or fiction. I think Halle is a great actress however, I don't see her bringing this role to life as someone like Jennifer Hudson. She is simply raw talent in this type of role which I believe she can definitely bring to life. She has had weight struggles, as well as having been raised up in church, she has an amazing voice that is full of just plain ole raw emotion, and I believe she can truly bring the full essence of Aretha Franklin to life

January 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  97. betsy ross

Ree, Ree, c'mon now.. you gotta be kidding us. Halle, you? wake up Ree, Ree, you're no longer under medication. Jennifer Holiday could get you that Oscar.

January 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Dr. M. M. Campbell

I can play Aretha Franklin. Just lost 30lbs after heart prolems. ( smile) I look like her slightly. (smile)

January 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Casha

Can't wait to see it. That's all I am going to say..

January 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Yvonne

Halle, r u kiddin me? What is Aretha thinkin? I say Jenifer Hudson-she's more her body type. Halle nuthin against her, but she doesn't have the bone or facial features to play Aretha. Aretha-please rethink ur choice, please!

January 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  101. RealChick

Some of you need to research Ms.Franklin she wasn't always plus size. She was a very slender woman in her early days. So don't just base it on her weight. This is a biopic I'd love to see brought to life.

January 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Charles McGann. L

Eany day you're world can come crashing in when r they gooing to play for there crimes instead of bn so famus

January 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Charles McGann. L

This is realy funny how you turned a millatory jeniva in to a he's to dangeres for his family an they still have the time even had the phone set up in the office

January 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  104. mm hmm

Halle is one of the most GORGEOUS women on the planet so I understand why Aretha would choose her but I think the Queen of Soul has been a big girl for a good part of her life. Halle girl, start eating doughnuts.

January 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Di

LMAO@ At this........... reallllyy? Aretha are you still under pain meds.. come on now get real !

January 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Courtney

I think Jennifer Hudson or Kelly Price should do this. Not Halle.

January 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keep checkin

I think Queen Latifah would do a find job as Aretha. I don't think Kelly Price has ever acted.

January 14, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicci

Kelly Price does several plays. She acts, just not on the silverscreen.

January 15, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  107. Geena

I think Jennifer Hudson would be better. Maybe even Mary J. Blige.

January 13, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Mrs. Hodge

Fantasia! Thats who she should get to play her.

January 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  109. abbe

I love Hale, but nah...think Jennifer Hudson.

January 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erica

I agree with Abbe. Jennifer Hudson would be a better choice.
      You need a stronger presence and actress than Halle.

January 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlohaWilma

Yes, I agree Jennifer Hudson would be perfect. Halle Berry is eye candy. Jennifer Hudson is beautiful and has a beautiful voice.

January 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • EvoDevo

Exactly!

January 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cissy

Not Jennifer Hudson. She can't act. I love her to death, but she should stick to Weight Watchers commercials and singing. It was painful watching her in SITC.

January 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sara

Jennifer Hudson, Aretha!!!!

January 15, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  110. hummm

i dont know about halle berry playing aretha but i think denzel would be a good fit for her father

January 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • lizzy10

Aretha can have anyone she want's to portray her but no matter who it is, it won't be nearly good enough. She is the Queen of Soul, and no one can come close to how really great she is. All my thoughts and prayers are with her, I have nothing but "Respect" for this wonderful artist.

January 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr T

I think Lady GaGa would steal the show

Rha rha respect

January 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angela

Jennifer Hudson would be the best actress for the role......Why lip sing when you can have the real thing!

January 15, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • J'Rod

Beyounce could do her start to finish seeing that she is already a pleasingly plump woman killing herself to stay thin. ..just a thought

January 15, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Robert

This role is for Jennifer. I love both actresses, but Jennifer has that big voice like Aretha. Halle has a nice voice too, but it's not like Aretha's.

January 16, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • BJCurry

Halle Berry has NEVER remotely looked like Aretha Franklin in ANY stages of Aretha's life. When did Halle sing? Jennifer Hudson [or Whitney Houston] would be more believable in a bio pix. I would imagine Halle playing you would be a real EGO booster but not believable. Halle was a good choice playing Dorothy Dandridge but NOT as Aretha.

January 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |