BET's 'The Game' draws more than 7 million viewers
January 13th, 2011

BET's 'The Game' draws more than 7 million viewers

Bringing back "The Game" paid off big time for BET.

The debut of original episodes on the network Tuesday night scored an astronomical 7.7 million according to the Nielsen Company, making it the No. 1 ad-supported sitcom telecast in cable TV history, BET said.

The figures also make it the No. 1 telecast ever of "The Game" on broadcast and cable.

That lead-in undoubtedly helped strengthen the numbers for the show which followed it. The new scripted series "Let's Stay Together" debuted with 4.4 million viewers.

“We are thrilled to see our audience respond so well to 'The Game' and 'Let's Stay Together',” said Debra L. Lee, chairman and chief executive officer of BET Networks, in a statement Wednesday. “It is clear these two shows are real game changers for the Network and the proven success of last night tells us that our viewers are not only passionate about the types of programming that we offer, but continue to crave on-air programming that reflects and respects our voices.”

BET picked up "The Game" after fans protested its cancellation on the CW network, and that same following anxiously awaited its return.

The ensemble cast includes former "Sister, Sister" star Tia Mowry, who was already celebrating the recent announcement that she and her husband are expecting their first child.

1. RIZZY SAYS

I canot understand why, everytime there is a discussion you bring up the race card. As someone brought up in an earlier post, our president is half black and half white like many of the others who pass themselves off as African Americans, when in fact they too are half black and half white. Tell the truth. Stop using the race card to get what you want and say what you want.

February 2, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

You know Michael we have a right to be proud of an all African American BET. We never had a whole lot because your people took it all away from us. We are a strong people for we can deal with you and your people and still keep things movin. Your people ridiculed ours for centuries but now (a change is coming) We are becoming doctors, (my son is a surgeon as a matter of fact) lawyers, financial buffs, CEO"S and whatever we want to be. Yes, we still have some brothers and sisters that we need to work on but we are here and it isn't anything that you can do about it. WE ARE THE WORLD!!!!

February 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Game

He googled the game ratings and when he sn the numbrz all tht hate jst evaporatd ota hm-he's gn b aite tho

January 25, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Game

Yal wastn tm tryna convey tht to mike he is unhapy w slf and jst venting and wl nvr
    Gt it bt I feel yal

January 25, 2011 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. publicity mogul

Congratz to them. meanwhile everyone or checkout and support upcoming pop star from Africa who lives in Los angeles .. she's actress,model,designer,host and singer ..very interesting girl

@reprudencia

January 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. geribaldwin,alex

All the talk, just let the "Game" play out...as I agree with many But!, let the show go on so...
    Welcome back, Welcome back!!!. To all its cast actors and actresssssss.

January 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kaylaa;*

OMFG! Like really? i wish i would have read all thecomments before i posted earlier..Yall 'blacks' are really full of yourselves. gahhh why come yall can't get over it?! i mean yea i get tired of seein all whites on t.v. but theres nothing we can do about it. i mean i'm not being RACIST at all but gahh we [other races] get tired of hearing your sob stories GET OVER it..like the rest of us..[other minority races] i mean us Native Americans aint got a show for us much less a channel or anything for that matter..Yes i know that yall still get treated wrong at time* but...

January 15, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. kaylaa;*

Well to start off I'm not blackk I'm Native American && i absoulutely LOVE "The Game"! But I'm like really fed up withh hearinn all the sob stories of how Blacks aint treated rightt...Lord Have Mercyy slaveryy && stuff ended a LONG LONG time ago people..i meann reallyyy why cant we all just drop it and get on with our lives?! && the Blackss aint the only ones who 'THINK' yall aint treated the same..cause 'us' Native Americans are the same way..if not even worse..We get lookedd down on by White People all the time but we don't go around giving ur sob stories and stuff..why waste your breath?! && i am NOT i repeat NOT racist wat so ever...One of my best friendss is black..&& he feels the same way..

January 15, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tv watcher

Ok so let's talk about the show, S4 ep1-
    1. Tasha remains Tasha-I respect that
    2. Kelly-was a great character because she was never what Jason feared her to be. So now that the marriage ia over the best revenge is to become the hateful WAG stereotype she never was? I don't buy it.
    3. Brittney? Who is this freaky little weird midget? She went from an 8 or 10 year old to a 4 foot 30 year old who looks older than either of her parents. Vomitous casting.
    4. Melanie isn't practicing?! Derwin cheated Melanie did some wrong too and the solution is for her not to pursue residency? What?! Their relationship goes back to college and she turns into just another WAG?!
    5. Good to see Ding Dong is still clueless as ever.
    6. Tee tee & Malik: good to see the writers evolved this relationship (tho in a sad way)
    7. Jason-still sniping at Kelly- can't say I blame him after the turn her character has taken.
    8. Overall-a disappointment. But so glad BET saved this show from the graveyard even if it did take nearly two years. Anything that keeps coby bell on tv ain't all that bad.

I still miss Girlfriends though.

January 14, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ummmmno

Don't like what they did the show at all. Very raunch, stereotypical, ghetto, dramatic (not the kind that we can appreciate) and DISAPPOINTING after an almost 2 year wait. Really disappointing. They've changed all of the characters so much that they are barely recognizable, much less, likeable. I didn't think it was possible to take a great show and make it bad, but congratulations, BET, you managed to do that in the space of ONE episode.... DISAPPOINTING!

January 14, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ng

This show truly does not speak for all African Americans! Why can't BET step their game up!! Is this really how u want A A portrayed??? Cheating, lying, and...everything else!!

January 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ahkah*

Coincidentally, Tia, Kelsey Grammer of Fraiser, is a producer of The Game & Girlfriends before it was cancelled.

January 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. randall-L

These numbers are staggering. However, there is the novalty issue that was generated by all the buzz of how The Game made its way to BET, which in turn could have piqued intrest in some viewers. Let's see what the numbers are next week. Remember, Conan Obriens numbers for his first show on TNT were very strong. Then the following show the numbers fell off a cliff. I know, one is a daily show, the other is weekly. We'll see...

January 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Keep Hope Alive

Loved the show previously. Very disappointed in the new season on BET. They say their brought the original cast back, but did they bring the writers back is the next question! Is Brittany the same person from the original cast?

Fingers crossed that BET gets it together soon!

January 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jenn Johnson

It's good to see a canceled show to make a comeback although neither the show itself, "The Game" nor the network BET are amongst my family's must see listings.
    And BEFORE anyone says that I must be racist for NOT watching BET, please know that I am a African-American married woman with a five year old. Also, BEFORE anyone says that I'm a "sellout" please know that the programming on there is not appropriate for her or any child to even take a glance to see. Now my mother-in-law watches BET but me and the hubby do not. JMO.

January 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. solo35

@ AZ Dem – agree about Janay, would like to c her gone but she is playing her part. Melanie was so wrong though.

January 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. solo35

I agree that Tasha is just street now & Kelly is portraying the gold digger really well. Did anyone else notice that Malik & Tasha didnt interact alot?

January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. AZ Dem

I'm soooo happy The Game got brought back on tv. I have to admit I was saddened that BET was the network it'd be airing on. I haven't been a fan of really ANYTHING BET has done over the last few years but this one show will force me to watch their programming because I'm a big fan of the show. CW really blew it when they cancelled this one and I couldn't believe that they did. As soon as the CW was created they slowly but surely camcelled EVERY black show UPN carried when they still existed and that automatically made me stop watching ANY of the CW shows.

Its great this show is back but when are ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC going to come out with another well written comedy or drama series starring predominantly African-Americans? I see people have mentioned Cosby Show, Fresh Prince, Family Matters etc. as some of their past efforts but where is this programming for the 21st century?

Lastly the 1st episode of The Game was pretty good its new and I love the supporting cast includes Megan Goode now. Wish the baby really WASN'T Derwin's because that would be SUCH a great ending to Janay but looks like she is here to stay!

January 13, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. MPTV

BET WAS BETTER OFF WITH THE SHOW FROM THE START...MOST LOCAL CHANNELS STAR WHITE PPL...BUT CW11 IS STRAINING THEM SELVES 2 KEEP THE SHOW UP...BUT THEY DIDNT DO MUCH ADVERTISING THTS WHY IT WAS AVERAGING 1 MILLION ALMOST LESS IN 1 EPISODE...BUT THE CW DOES HAV UPCOMING SHOWS LIKE VAMPIRE DIARIES ND HELLCATS...BUT IN SOME WAYS BET TOOK IT 2 FAR WHEN IT CAME 2 ADVERTISING...IT WAS ALMOST AS IF THEY NEVER HAD A HIT SITCOM B4 WHICH GAVE THEM VIEWERS ON NIELSEN...MTV WILL ALWAYS HAV HIT SHOWS NO MATTER WAT THEY PUT OUT EVEN IF ITS GARBAGE...BUT I LOVE MTV!!!

January 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. concered

everyones worried about whites an blacks when mexicans will be the majority soon

January 13, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Cherrell

Take racism with you everywhere you go, always take it in as raw and negative as it is applied but remember to filter it as an outcome of knowledge, wisdom and positivity!!

January 13, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ashley

@ Mike like someone said before, you're obviously not black because if you were then you would understand the need for Black Entertainment Television! BET, minority scholarships, Black History Month etc all had to be implemented because the racial majority (i.e. whites), did not want to acknowledge, appreciate, or depict blacks in a positive way. If the rest of America would get rid of their racist views then maybe we wouldn't have to compensate with networks such as BET! And as far as black history month, why don't you go to the school systems and whatnot and demand that MORE of the contributions of blacks be included in the regular ciriculum and not just during black history month. Bottom line if it wasn't for networks such as BET, and black history month, and minority scholarships etc blacks would be in a far worse place than we are now!
    @ Bloody Butt....do us a favor and suck out!!!!!

January 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jo Jo

I am glad that so many people watched The Game. However, I was a little disappointed in the show. The characters all seemed to have changed. Tasha use to be street smart but now she's just street. Malik's character is totally immoral. He was always a womanizer but he still had a conscious. Jason's character lost his sense of humor. Kelly's character changed to a money hungry bimbo. They aged the part of the daughter to a teenager (even though it's only supposed to be two years later). The only characters that were likable were Melanie and Derwin. I don't know if there are new writers but they need to work on bringing back the old characters because I do not like the new. They were all displayed in such a negative light. BET, now that you have attracted the viewers, please work on making the show more positive because there was nothing positive about that episode.

January 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  24. solo35

I am a fan however, I didnt like the new show. Too much, kinda hood, having Tasha Mack smoking a black – really! Kelly is a hot mess & where isBreit Brit, this girl looks too grown. Girl Melanie created some good drama. I wil give it another two wks.

January 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Todd

Some people can't stand to see something associated with Blacks doing well or breaking a record. It subconsciously makes them nervous. Think about it.

January 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dan

@CAM
    It sounds like you are blessed to live in a diverse area and your daughter will grow up more enriched for it. But, unfortunately the rest of America is not as well blended as you may believe. Although it may seem like it to you (assuming you are white and feeling like your world is drastically changing around you), in fact according to the latest census data the single largest race in the US is still white only. Even if you combine all of the other races together, the largest percent of the population is identified as white.

January 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Has There Ever Been

Has There Ever Been a Black man or any other person of color on ABC's The BACHELOR AS THE LEAD PERSON LOOKING FOR LOVE.... NO....... A PERSON THAT HAS A GREAT JOB, HAS CLASS AND LIVING WELL..NO NO NO..NO IT ONLY CATERS TO ONE GROUP AND HOW MANY SEASONS IT'S BEEN ON....... I STOP WATCHING THIS SHOW SEASONS AGO... AND PLEASE DO NOT SAY VH1 HAS A BACHELOR SHOW, WITH FLAVA OF LOVE AND ECT, THAT TRASH DOES NOT REPRESENT PEOPLE OF COLOR! WHEN ARE THEY EVER GONNA SHOW A BLACK, HISPANIC AND ASIAN Person looking for love on the BACHELOR, what the 2032 season! Give me a break fair T.V Congrats the Game... so happy your back!

January 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Justin

hmmm some people didn't like my comments some did. Why am I a sellout ? Because I don't like the show or network? I can gaurentee that I'm no more or less black than any of you, I just think we can be more productive. Watch Tavis Smiley and Dr. Cornell West. That's real black television. I will no longer sit still nd silent and watch my people eat crap. Watch it or listen to it. Although the show isn't the worst out their it definately doesn't have much positive effects. if you can sit down and analyze the current state of african society either here In America or Africa, we are behind the curve compared to white society. How many out of 7 million have college degrees. Own businesses. Are not under state supervision ? I just want the best for black people. I should not be labled a sellout because I don't like the current state of AA culture. In the 60's their were black people that didn't like the current state of black America and look what they did. I am one of those people. We need an internal revolution.I for one am aware and trying. So you can keep watching 106 and park or you can go clean up the park your kids play In. I remember where I came from and what our ancestors and some good white people did to get us this far. I just don't want it to be done in vain. My rant isn't about the show the game but more so a wake up call for young AA.

January 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

So you go onto the Marquee Blog hoping to incite some change as opposed to walking the streets and making a difference outdoors? What a smart guy you are!

January 13, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Melissa

Perhaps it would be best if everyone learned how to spell. I don't care what race you are, what religion, or how much money you have, learn how to spell. Most of the people leaving comments look like morons because of the errors. How can anyone take you seriously? Who cares if there is a BET? Let people watch whatever they want whenever they want. It's not like you HAVE to be black to get the channel. Or to watch it, for that matter. If people love the show, more power to them. If they can relate to it, awesome. Who cares???! Why such ridiculous comments? Unfortunately, racism will always exist. If BET disappeared tomorrow, there would be racism. If they stopped affirmative action tomorrow, there would still be racism. We can't make everyone love everyone. Move on with your lives. Dwelling on this dumb conversation (except for those who are actually talking about the show) is just dumb.

January 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ms. Dennis

Thank you Melissa for one of the most intelligent posts on this forum. I too am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to correct grammar and spelling. Might come from my years as working as a secretary while I was in college. I love the show and hope that it will continue to do well no matter what network air it.

January 15, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. O

@ Mike – You said "We all know African-American history regarding slavery."

Just want to let you know that this is not just African-American history regarding slavery its American History sir. Thanks and have a great day! P.s. Thank you BET!

January 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Norm

7 million people watched this show that was better than the black shows and current shows they have now. For years they pushed lame comedy's that had predominantly black casts believing that people of color only wanted to watch that crap and the CW wonders why they are consistently in the bottom of the ratings charts. Whoever is in charge of programming there needs to be fired for not giving this show and probably other good shows with predominately black casts an even chance. I can not believe they passed up on this show considering what they have been airing with large budgets. Don't they want to make money?

January 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. SOULSISTER OF B& W

Why does everything have to be black and white. Can't we all just get along.

January 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. WASAFAN

I liked THE GAME when I started watching in reruns. But after watching the new show I have to say that if it continues in the matter the first new show did – I WON"T CONTINUE TO WATCH – ii is no longer the same show. THATS THE BLACK AND WHITE OF IT.

January 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • naty

I agree that minorities aren't always seen as primary roles on t.v. especially in the ABC,CBS,and NBC networks. I'm Puerto Rican and it's even worse for Latinos on television, when we're usually depicted as housekeepers, the maintenance man, or a fiery-tempered vixen with a surgically enhanced figure. I can understand some complaints of my AA friends, but at least you can see some shows on those very networks that portray African Americans in positive, successful careers, with some interracial coupling too. Look at Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, and House. These shows aren't necessarilly minority dominated, but at least we get to see them in a more positive role.

January 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. zeke

Sorry to say it but there is a WET(white entertainment television) its called NBC, CBS, and ABC. Its like making blacks have there own club or diner cuz u don't want them in and then complaining when the "black" club or "black" diner is successful. I'll be glad when there is no BET....please save that for someone else

January 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  35. I agree..,

we should keep the focus on the show. Just let those that don't like it, keep commenting...it just adds hits to the link, LOL So much for the dumbing down of America!

Malik was totally wrong for getting with TeTe's lady! But I think he's going to get pay back. I hope Melanie tells Derwin the truth. I really need Kelly to tone it down, she's going a little overboard right now...

January 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Choconet

Thank you BET! I was so happy to watch a new episode of The Game the other night. It was so good, but I hope Malek gets his! Now that we got The Game back on TV what about Girlfriends? The show that launched The Game! I hated the CW for ditching it and I hated the way they ended the series. Joan (Melanie's cousin) waited all those years to finally get married, finds a man and he's shipped off to Iraq!!! The series final only showed Joan answering the phone to find out that Aaron was coming back home. There are still so many unanswered questions and I wanted to see the return of Toni Childs!!! LET’S GET GIRLFRIENDS BACK ON THE AIR!!!

January 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • BO

So you like watching crap? The show is beyond unintelligent.

January 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

It’s called a remote, use it! That's the beauty of America I'm free to watch what I want! Just like your free to click on something else and not even comment on these postings. Negative much!!!

January 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Keisha

The thing about The Game is that it is not just a black show, it is for everybody and that is a good thing. So everyone can relate to the characters on the show. I love it and is the #1 supporters.

January 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Hank

Why are we feeding into Mike's prejudices...Lets talk about the opening episode of The Game. I hope they can keep the story line going..I want to know what happened to Tasha Mack and Rick Fox. Malik is a dawg for sleeping with TeTe's lady friend...and what will happen when Malik is caught sleeping with the team owner's wife...

January 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • CW

The show is pure garbage. Md said it best...."dumbing down of America".

January 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ms Dennis

Yeah, I agree with you Hank. I didn't watch "The Game" when it was on the other network. Just started watching the reruns on BET and fell in love with it. As far as the premiere last Tuesday, I was a little disappointed in Kelly's character. She seemed to be a little too bitter and mean. But in reality some women (and men) do become bitter after going through a bad relationship. Also, Brittany (Jason and Kelly's daughter) seems to be at least 16 and didn't look bi-racial like she did in the original show. I heard a lot of people complaining that it seemed more drama than comedy. I actually liked how they updated us on what has been happening in the 2 years since we last saw them. I was very pleased with the show and cannot wait until next Tuesday at 10.

January 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  39. @Justin

Young brother...you are not off the beaten path, actually you are right on target. However you are speaking to a group of others that has not reached the level of paradigm thinking that you have. BUT lets not beat them to bad b/c they may not get there with you...it as long as they get there!

January 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Tonya

I just wanted to take the time to send my congrats to THE GAME on a great show. You guys did a wonderful job tuesday night. Continue to show the world that You guys have what it takes to keep the show afloat. Once again, Great Job! Bravo! :-))

January 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. harrhar

It is so hard to explain this stuff to people that don't get it...yeah it may appear like a double standard, but it is so much deeper. I do think if properly explained, to a person that has a genuine open mind, they would come to understanding and "getting it."

January 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ora

I used to watch The Game when it originally aired. I also watched the marathon they had about a week ago just to refresh myself. Even though I liked it back then I didn't like the first episode. Kelly on a reality show??? Come on! I think that killed it for me. Melanie questioning if that was his son or not. After what 2 yrs! I'll watch another episode but if its like the first one I probably will not watch it anymore. Just my opinion.

January 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Justin

As a black man I think the show and the network BET is a disgusting tragedy. The show is about football stars and their wives drama. There is nothing productive about it. It idolizes false prophets. Black people 40-50 years ago, talked to each other,respected each other and moved forward together. Todays black folk (not all, but sadly. an overwhelming amount of youth) are f'ing stupid. These shows do nothing to progress us as a people. our music is crap. It does nothing but degrade women and their overly large butts. And hype up the drug game. Think about it black people why are we proud to be black? is it because you have a black president ? Who if I need to remind you is only HALF black! Or is it because your girl has the biggest butt on the block. Maybe your proud to be black because your homeboy just did a 3 year bid at rikers and didn't snitch. Maybe I am getting off the topic , but I would just like to point out that most of our black role models are spokespeople for industry that don't bring any long term stability to black neighborhoods. Rappers.dope dealers. And ballplayers. Most kids, young black males especially see only those options as ways to get outta the hood. There are never any hip hop songs about graduating high school.let alone college. Never any programming on how a group of you AA's don't fit today;s stereotypes. Black people listen we have to change what we eat how we act and how we treat each other. Watching this garbage isn't going to do it. Do you think MLK if alive today would be happy with what black Americans are doing today? Some he would, but mostly I say NO. I love the show The Boondocks by Aaron McGruder. You can catch it on CN's adult swim. It gives a fresh perspective in the black community. Bet is doing nothing more than holding us back. Put down the KFC or Churches and pick up a book. We are the oldest and strongest people in the world but our enemy is not whites its ourselves. 28 year old black man saying goodluck and godbless

January 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grooove

Textbook Sellout.

January 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin

January 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

I could not agree more. As a 31 year old black man serving in our Armed Forces, most of what I see a shame. Whenever you turn on the radio its always GUNS this, WOMEN that or how much MONEY they got and the dumb things they spend it on. We as a people must stop making excuses for ourselves with slavery and reparations, and start making something of ourselves i.e. EDUCATION, GOOD JOBS and STRONG FAMILY VALUES. Like Justin said turn off the t.v. and pick up a book, knowledge is pure freedom.

January 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Justin,you are obviously not a 28 year old black man. Anyone with any sense can read the veiled racists insults in your post. People like you are the reason why BET, Al Sharpton, the NAACP are needed. If were up to people like you, african americans would only ever be seen as servants and criminals on TV and in films. I love the game and Thank you BET for bringing it back!

January 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  44. rich2011

Congrats to BET... Major networks have tried but always fail when trying to target minorities. It no surprise that the majority if not all of the shows on ABC, NBC, CBS etc hardly have any person of color as main characters and if they do its usually a lightskin black person or a latino who could pass as White american. Cw lost is BET gain.

January 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Dani

I love love love The Game I've been a fan of the show since it was on the CW network. I'm so glad excited happy delighted..... BET brought the show back I will be glued to my seat every Tuesday @ 9:00 pm. This post was to get comments on the show not to say which television station target which audiences and being wrong for doing that (can we have our moment plese) it's a debate not worth debating everyone knows how this thing goes soon as any Non- White anything gets success people start flapping their jaws about all the wrong things Lil Kim said it best "your mouth is a cage for your toungue if you just close your teeth" especially if you don't have anything positive to say. Congrats to the cast writer and producers of The Game and BET

January 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • MD

You litterally don't anything bettter to do than watch this garbage?!!! Shame-shame for contributing to the dumbing down of America.

January 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ MD

For someone who talks about dumbing down of America... your grammar is horrible.

January 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. All

I think they should do away with BLOGS like these b/c all people hide behind them! Expressions are true but I feel the emotion behind them are intensified because you cant be seen... aka white sheet over th faces of the KKK...

January 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Robin

Also fans of the show, we should continue to talk, tweet, blog about the show to keep the buzz up. We have the power cause we brought the show back. Now we have to keep the show up and draw more viewers into it. We can make The Game a program like Friends.

January 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  48. md

Unintelligent entertainment.......more dumbing down of America.

January 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ the idiot named md

When you comment on the "Marquee Blog" of all places, you also contribute to the dumbing down of America. So before you speak as if you're smarter than everyone else, admit that if you're here then no, you're not. Sorry to burst your misguided ego.

January 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Robin

I love the Game, I don't what network it is on. The talented cast makes the characters lovable and real. I believe that major networks,NBC, ABC, CBS don't appeal to other nationalities. You can tell by their programs. Majority white cast with a black, asian or indian person. But if we have to integrate one show at a time, well GAME ON!!!!!!! Go Mara, get yo money!!!!

January 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Grooove

Thank God for BET, NAACP, NOW, various Hispanic and Asian organizations, Sharpton etc...without them, good ole American White boys would do whatever the hell they wanted...wait a minute-they still do. LOL!

January 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Charles McGann. L

No we ride Horse back around here aaaaaaaaAaaaaaac

January 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Charles McGann. L

G what happends if charles marms his self so he's no longer here weLl I gues there all inasent

January 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Charles McGann. L

R kidcccc me what virginia has bn doing to me an my family

January 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Charles McGann. L

Y don't you start at virginia with the cut of gov spending then try cal

January 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Marilyn

Some white people (ie. Mike) always have to complain whenever something isn't beneficial to them. Maybe mike should go complain to the the white people at viacom who bought out BET. Don't you white people have enough? Or you just want more? Let there be a WET, we don't care. We see a bunch of white folks on tv everyday.

January 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Allison

That was great !!!!! Just wanted to enjoy the show it was a hit and that's the bottom line !!! Can't wait for next week !!!! The Game rocks

January 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  57. lance

lol I still think "BET" is racist.. and the new show looks retarded..

January 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marilyn

No you're retarded

January 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

Why isn't the Hispanic, Indian and Asian cable channels racist? Why aren't you complaining about those channels! They’re not even in English! Yet you turn your bitter accusations of racism on the one black channel black people have. You need to ask yourself why BET bothers you but the other ethnic channels don't.

January 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  58. afan

Honestly I love the show and I am so glad it has returned! I'm happy that BET gets to reap the great ratings, but honestly I'm just a fan and just glad the show is back on. Even though I am black, I would still be just as happy no matter what channel it was on, wish it could have stayed on a basic network channel so those without cable could enjoy. In addition, I really do hate that people think organizations, like BET, NAACP, Ebony magazine just to mention a few, are reverse racism. If it wasnt for these type of organizations, black people would not have much to relate to in mainstream media. Sorry cant relate to the "one black girl in a clique" show:(

January 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Beena

Can't we all just get along ?

January 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Tammi

Why can't we just agree that it set a record for cable television. I am a 40 year old AA woman who loves this show. I am happy that the actors are employed. I am pleased that the fans got a show back that they love. All of the back & forth doesn't change the 'FACTS'....THE GAME is back!! As Tasha Mack would say..."Touchdown b_tches!"

January 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • No Like Button...

So Tammi, I'll just say....I LOVE IT!!! lol, Tasha Mack is back...

January 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kano

*Hands Mike the dunce cap

Now look sad, and say d'oh.

January 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  62. All

As much as this show is a success for BET and it's ratings...BET's overall programming is garbage for the african american viewer! We have to get pass this reality TV, ethnic culture TV and more into some awareness learning TV! We will not improve ourselves on garbage entertainment!

January 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  63. t.n. wilson

I like this show because it shows what can and is happening to high profile figures. but u see some white people is just damn mad that black people r acting it out. get over it.....

January 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Errin

@Toby have you ever heard of Centric? While BET is targeted toward a younger audience, Centric is Bet's sister channel that caters to your demographic. Good for BET I love that show.

January 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Be Quiet

is that blurry a$$ pic the best one they could find for the article?

January 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Ooooh, I said that and they changed the pic. What else can I wish for?

January 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  66. alj

Stop with the racism shyt. If BET didn't exist, then people would have a problem with that too. It's a lose-lose situation. BET is not strickly for African Americans-as a white woman, I personally love some of the shows n movies broadcast on BET. Why can't it be about the show itself, instead of who people think should be watching it? It's 2011-get over the race bullshyt!

January 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  67. The Truth is..

that BET was initially created because there were not many blacks on "regular" television...in print or anywhere for that matter that were not a negative stereotyped role. It's sad that a station had to be created for blacks to see other blacks in a positive manner. But don't just take my word for it...do some research! Before BET, how many shows had casts that were predominately black? Even if you honestly take a look at television right now (not including BET), how many black ensembled casts do you see? So, you're right WET or NAAWP would met with some scrutiny...because truthfully whites haven't had to deal with as much racism. Sure it exists, but not on the same level. Just look at our Presidents. Do you honestly believe that there has only been one qualified black person to lead our country? How many blacks were mentioned in your history books? In our entire history, do you believe blacks accounted for just one chapter?? Hate or love it, it's the truth!

Good for BET! Great for the US!

January 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  68. alexis

Congratulations

January 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Well Wisher

Mike, Black people are a minority in the United States. There are many shows with white actors that are aimed at white society. Why is one show causing a problem in your mind. Get with it. This is 2011.

January 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAM

The definition of 'minority' is lesser in number. If you look around...........black people are the minority anymore. We live in a very mulit-diverse counrty. My daughters Gr.3 class has 27 children, 5 of which are white. All the other children are a mix of different races. Lets start to move past the colour of someones skin for the sake of our childrens future!!!

January 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • ElynnT

And my child in a class of 29 is the ONLY AA child... And the only FULL AA child in the ENTIRE kindergarten, which consists of 5 classes of 25-30 students....

January 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Toby Christian

Congratulations BET! It only you took 25 years to find ONE SHOW! There is enough underemployed talent in Black Hollywood for your network to profitably produce at least at half-dozen original shows per WEEK, so I won't call for a parade just yet. I'm an African-American, but I don't fit your under 35, wannabe MTV demographic. However, my AA friends and I consume AND save more than the young/broke ones you seek to reach. WE OWN houses and investment portfolios and don't live on fast food. We represent a dream market for consumer products and financial services firms.

I can't blame Bob Johnson any more because he sold BET to Viacom (parent of MTV and other cable assets) years ago. This show is better than the mindless drivel on Network that still plays to the old AA sterortypes. Has Debra Lee realized that BET could be immensely profitable AND simultaneously offer intelligent fare? Nice job, BET but PLEASE aim higher. Just because White Hollywood is intellectually bankrupt doesn't mean that black folk can't achieve more milestones in the 400 channel universe!

January 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ebony

Although I applaud BET for bringing The Game back and showcasing AA programming, unlike most other networks, I have to say that I was disappointed in the show. The Game used to be funny and genuinely fun to watch, even with the dramatic aspect of the show. However, I thought the new direction of the show dripped of soap suds. It wasn't the fresh, bold show it started out as. In fact, I felt that BET actually took the show straight to a ghetto mess. The characters didn't evolve. In fact, BET stripped them of anything positive, probably to appeal to a different demographic. Whatever BET is doing with this show, I can only hope that they work out the kinks or that 7 million will quickly dissolve to just a few hundred.

January 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  71. BeyondtheTech

Holy pixellation, Batman!

January 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  72. bob

Anybody reading twitter? Everyone was saying how horrible the show was to watch. I bet half those number don't come back

January 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really??

I watched it and it was TERRIBLE!!!!! I guess during it's hiatus everyone forgot how to act. I was definately excited when I heard it was coming back, but it is waaaaay diffrent from how it was on the CW. I would be surprised if I returned for another season when this one ends.

January 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Charles McGann. L

Build in b twn 95 from quantico south with a trans system gov centers shops move the locations of sum on rt 1 rebuild on rt 1 an plant trees in sum places you can take down a lot of buildings

January 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  74. kid dynomite

Hey mike, there are white networks that target whites. There called abc, nbc, cbs, fox... And by the way, you are racist.

January 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAM

Funny........those are the same networks that showed programs such as Fresh Prince, The Cosby's, A Different World, Family Matters.......should I go on?

January 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Courage

@CAM I am not calling anyone a racist, but all those shows you mentioned are old. Tell me what new black shows, you see on these stations. Meanwhile there is a new all white cast show every week..

January 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • erikastruth

@Cam you listed programs from the 80's and 90's. It's 2011.

January 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  75. gamefan

HaHa..CW in your face! TOUCHDOWN!

January 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  76. PREMOE

WELL "CW" HOW DO YOU LIKE THE ""GAME NOW""...SWEET!!

January 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  77. sick

If there was a WET channel or NAAWP.The libs and media would yell racism.

January 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brown Sugar_305

We do have those channels, they're called CBS, NBC, ABC and the CW. And the NAAWP is called the Tea Party, run by Sarah Palin. Go kick rocks fool.

January 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • missnla

@Brown Sugar_305: very eloquently stated. I could not have said it better myself. Congratulation BET for capitalizing on another networks blantant stupidity.....

January 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynn

Agreed!

January 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Denise

I love " The Game ".......Too bad for you " CW " your lost.....

January 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  79. yashca

I always hated the show. However, I'm glad an AA show was successful and had so many viewers for it's first show back.

January 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  80. venishea

"The game" is my favorite tv show "EVER" thank u BET.

January 13, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  81. takila_u

"The Game" has been a show that has propelled out of the lines of subjectivity of it just being a black show. It speaks to the culture of today's society. But it just so happens that BET heard the call & followed throug. CW lost out but again it gave it its first shout. And to Mike BET has changed drastically but still trying to find its footing aganist this doubled image of how African Americams are presumed. Once the people themselves get over their idiosicrocies they will be able to accept proper change. But love the show & wishes BET hears this out.

January 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  82. nicole

"Way to go", BET, things have a way of working out for the best. CW, it's your lost!

January 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  83. D.W

I Loooovvvveeee the Game...It's the BEST tv show EVER!!!

January 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Jess

JJ go back at watch teletubbies

January 13, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Jess

Vampires suck, and so do you.

Get some Midol, too, while you're at it.

CW sucks, get over yourself.

January 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • oh silly jess

CW is like "Teletubbies for tween girls."

January 13, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  85. WLM

It is really sad that all these "major" TV networks do not carry any sitcoms for African American people. It almost seems as though we dont exist unless we are involved in some sort of criminal activity on any CSI. Those networks should look at BET and consider some programs that will cater to different demographics...... White people are not the ones who exist in America......

January 13, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • RichG

In my opinion the best black programs came out in the 70's, the ones of today don't measure up.

January 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAM

The Cosby's, Family Matters, A Different World, Fresh Prince........there are plenty of Africian American shows that were being viewed on other "white" channels..........

January 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Berlin

It's great that you think you're making a point by naming a few black shows. However, name all the white programs. You can't name them all right? That's because white people dominate the media. The amount of black programming will never measure up with white programming. Think of a better argument, CAM.

January 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

@Berlin – My argument would be that white people make up about 70% of the population, while black people make up about 14%. So about 14% of the programming should be for black audiences. And while clearly that is not the case with most major networks, I can understand why, as businesses who want to make money, they dont make shows to target only 14% of the population.

January 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  86. lrltree

Only thing is BET isn't black owned anymore.

January 13, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  87. Mike

BET network is a joke. Racism will never go away until segregated networks/magazines/clothing lines are gone. But....I'll probably be accused of being racist because I said that.

January 13, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • BBScott

BET is owned by the sme people who own MTV.

January 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • MsB

Hey Mike, BET is owned by Viacom, Inc. which also owns MTV and Paramount Pictures.

January 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • MsB

Not a racist, just uninformed - like 75% of the people.

January 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I never talked about who owns it. I'm talking about its target market. I understand being proud of heritage. I respect and appreciate that. However, how would it be viewed by the African-American public if the same owners started a network targeting whites exclusively?

January 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • turtledove

Most networks do target mainly white people so that scenario already exists.

January 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss D

After the CW cancelled this show, the creator shopped it around to every other major network and had trouble even getting a call back. BET is the only network that gave this show a chance.

January 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • akb

Mike, the other networks (CBS, NBC, ABC,) have always targeted whites only. BET brought to the tv screen shows that included black actors and actresses that black america was not seeing on the other main stream channels. And while the other channels did eventually bring a few black shows to their line up, the committment by the other networks to continually show black talent is not there. Often there are not any shows with actors/actresses of color (black, latino) being shown on these channels consistently and when there are, it is still never any comparison to the amount of shows produced exclusively for white audiences. So while the name BET does stand for 'Black Entertainment Television', CBS and ABC and NBC stand for "We Don't Need to Produce Shows For People of Color'. And yes, I know the Cosby Show as a big hit with an all black cast.....but come on....that was how long ago?

January 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grooove

Hey Mike...do you think CBS,NBC.ABC etc targets Black audiences?

January 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I think they target audiences of different demographics regardless of race. Racism is petty BS that needs to go away...on both fronts. We all know African-American history regarding slavery. But the answer is not willfull segregation via entertainment, holidays, months, scholarships, etc. We are all Americans and equal. Why can we not live that way? Organizations such as the NAACP, programs like affirmative action, and people like Al Sharpton only greaten the divide...not unify.

January 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • tia

Well, with the most successful shows in history, (i.e. Friends or Frasier) not having one central Black character on them and the news never showing explicitly positive portrayals of Blacks (a la, Antoine Dobson), BET is a great outlet for Blacks to see themselves regularly and in a good light on TV. Maybe if Americans collectively wipe their minds clean of prejudice and what to expect from someone just from looking at them, then maybe there wouldn't be a need for BET.

January 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

Mike:

You are obviously not African American. Therefore, you'll never understand us and what we go through. How do other networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.) target all people? Name one show positively depicted the black community on either of those networks? I bet you can't name one. You even go as far as mention the NAACP, affirmative action, and scholarships. How do you think minorities would advance in our professional and educational endeavors without these organizations ? My point is you're not a minority, so you'll never understand nor should you attempt to understand. I mean, what's next? You wanna know why you can't say the "N word"? Stay in your lane buddy.

January 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andre

I agree with Mike. Yes the show was good, and im glad it did well on the season opener, but its on a Network that is designed for the black audience. If there was a white entertainment network, we'd lose our minds. ABC, NBC and CBS are not designed for white only audiences. The days of the man holding us down are over. We now hold ourselves down. Let go!

January 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeIsDumb

Mike, they may be targeting a certain audience but that is called business not RACISM. If we went by what you said then most businesses would have to shut down. I am Hispanic and I love to watching telenovelas on the Spanish speaking channels. Just like BET, these channels tend to have from a certain group, aka HISPANICS. Again, this does mean they are racist. Instead, they were all targeting a certain group or market that was not being served.. There is no hidden agenda! No clansmen in the boardroom plotting world domination. Get over it! There is diversity in the world and I hope it stays!

January 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grooove

Naw Mike...we are not treated equal. We ARE equal, but not treated equal. Move over to the heart of Black Africa, apply for a job. How would you feel?? If you have any sense, you would feel that you needed a "break", or you wouldn't stand a chance. Regardless of what your resume' says.

January 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynn

Totally agree!

January 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Yeah you will be looked at in that light. Try being happy for others instead of pulling out the race card. Do you have cable? If so all you have to do is channel surf and see that 99.9% of the channels are for white people. Dont be a hater!!!!

January 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bloody Butt

You guys are so lame. BET was started by Robert Johnson, who is black, and his target audience is young blacks. BET is garbage and you will never see White Entertainment Television cause that would be racist. Good thing WET is basically everyother channel on tv.

January 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Berlin

Ok Bloody Butt, don't you sound smart with a name like that.

January 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • bikerchick71

The reason BET is needed is because we (Black people) also want shows about "us". You probably don't understand what it's like to watch a show and never seen anyone like you on it. Most shows on TV have 1 or 2 Black characters and usually they are in supporting roles. I'm sure other minorities feel the same way.

January 13, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

There is a white entertainment network, it's called CMT! And I know more whites that watch BET than MTV.

January 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

@bikerchick71 – I think that is largely due to the fact that black people only make up about 14% of the US population. So for every 10 white people on a show, you should see 1.4 black persons, Lol. Which seems close to what we see now. White people make up about 70% of the population, so stands to reason that a large majority of programming should be for white audiences.

January 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

You have to understand that BET was not established to segregate black people. It was started to give blacks something to identify with because no one gave us positive images of ourselves to look at. MTV refused to even play Micheal Jackson videos until Thriller became a megahit. This is also why you're starting to see stations like Telemundo and Univision. Hispanic people also want to see programming that they can identify with. If you look at abc, NBC, and CBS you can't honestly say that they have shows that reflect the changing face of America. Every show has either a token black, token Hispanic, or token east Indian.

January 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbara

Are you kidding me? You are really uninformed. When MTV first came out and somewhat now even still, its target audience is and was a white audience. They have been more diverse over the years after they saw potential of minority support, but MTV was the white version of BET....thats why black people got BET because MTV didnt cater to any other group than whites initially.

January 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  88. jdaniels

Funny!! CW is kicking themselves now! These are better numbers than NBC is pulling in!

January 13, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  89. JJ

Suck it CW! You didn't want any black programming (even though it was successful) and now 'The Game' has done better than the Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl combined. That's good business!

January 13, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • @ JJ

The CW is trash. It's not like a show like "The Game" was meant to be on a garbage network. Good for BET!

January 13, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • TamOk

I'm so glad 'The Game' is back. I hope they can keep up the storyline.

January 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • publicity mogul

Congratz Bet meanwhile everyone or checkout and support upcoming pop star from Africa who lives in Los angeles .. she's actress,model,designer,host and singer ..very interesting girl

@reprudencia