New 'Spider-Man' doesn't want to be famous
January 12th, 2011

New 'Spider-Man' doesn't want to be famous

He made a name for himself in the critically acclaimed "The Social Network," but Andrew Garfield will literally soar to new heights as the lead in the upcoming "Spider-Man" reboot. And that has the humble British actor worried.

"I hope I never blow up. I hope that I have to audition for every single job I want," he tells February's Details magazine. "I hope that I'm always struggling, really. You develop when you’re struggling. When you're struggling, you get stronger."

Read the full interview with Andrew Garfield in Details

Garfield, 27, will be showing plenty of muscle as Spider-Man, and has trained hard to play the web-slinging superhero.

"I want to feel stronger than I've ever felt, and I want to feel more flexible than I've ever felt. I want to feel powerful," he says of his approach. "You don't want to just be a pack of meat — it has to be an open body. It does something to your psyche, and it does something to the way you move."

Video: Behind-the-scenes with Andrew Garfield

Still, it's not just the workouts that have Garfield sweating.

"I see it as a massive challenge in many ways," he says of playing an American icon. "To make it authentic. To make the character live and breathe in a new way. The audience already has a relationship with many different incarnations of the character. I do, as well. I'm probably going to be the guy in the movie theater shouting abuse at myself. But I have to let that go. No turning back. And I wouldn’t want to."

"Spider-Man" is set to hit theaters in July 2012.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Spider-Man

1. Vitaliy

incredible actor...especially for someone as young as him. He's going to be one of the actors who define the next decade in cinema

January 13, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. Goldy

No one py attention to this man !...duh

January 13, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. orpheus

I don't want to blow up so let me do spiderman the movie! What a load of horsesh......t! Thats why u do movies idiot!!

January 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lindsay

Maybe he wants to do mainstream films because it's good material? And if you look at his track record, his mainstream films ARE very good. He's also done several independent films and has a theater background, maybe he doesn't want to limit himself. You can still do mainstream films without "blowing up". From an actor's perspective, it's all about the character that you play and what the project is all about. If it's a good project and a strong, interesting character, then of course he's going to do it. And he did the cover for Details because he's the new freakin' Spider-man...people are obviously curious to know more about him and they want to be updated with his progress of turning into the character and such...It's not like he's all over the tabloids getting wasted at clubs and hooking up with different Hollywood stars...he's promoting himself and his projects.

January 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LL

IIf he doesn't want his fame to blow up, then why do such mainstream films? There are several independent low-budget films that would love to have talented actors as well as stage plays, etc.

Also, showing up on a popular magazine is a surefire way to "blow up". If he's all for "the craft" as he claims to be, then he should nix doing press junkets.

January 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Um... he just did an Indie. And has done a bunch of others (one of them won him a BAFTA, for heaven's sake). Him doing this kind of a role and film is actually a break outside of his normal movies.

January 14, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mormon

Wow, this guy is starting to smoke his own dope early in his career...

January 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cheefsfury

DONT WORRY KID THEY WILL JUST REBOOT THE FRANCHISE WITH SOME OTHER YOUNG GUY POSSIBLY ME WHEN I GET OLD ENOUGH MY MOM SAYS IM HANSOME

January 12, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Mei

I saw some behind the scene clips of the new film and wow, his hair is SO bad. What's with the hair-do?! It looks like something from the movie Grease (the original)! Eww!

January 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |