Natalie Portman on why she hasn't bought baby clothes
January 12th, 2011

Natalie Portman on why she hasn't bought baby clothes

Natalie Portman may be thrilled about her upcoming role as a new mom, but she isn't rushing out to buy baby clothes just yet.

“I’m very superstitious. I'm very Jewish that way," she tells CNN. "We don’t do that."

Portman, who is reportedly due this summer, also appears to be in no hurry to fill her closet with maternity wear.

"I wear sweatpants on a daily basis," she told TV's "Extra." "I just want to be in things that are comfortable now – loose!"

The "Black Swan" star, who is engaged to the film's choreographer, 33-year-old Benjamin Millepied, added that she is excited to be eating for two.

"I told [director] Darren [Aronofsky], I was like, 'First you got me skinny, and now you're getting me fat,' because he introduced me to my fiancé," said the 29-year-old Golden Globe nominee. "It's the greatest gift he ever gave me."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Anton Dain

Baby clothing has become very expensive. In this day and age, many new parents struggle to make ends meet and to make certain that they have all of the clothing items that the need for their baby. If you are such a person, you will want to spend some time on the Internet. At this point in time, a new parent can find an array of solid bargains on the Internet when it comes to clothing for a baby.":*^

My own blog
    <http://healthmedicinebook.com/index.php/

May 31, 2013 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rod Fila

You’ll probably be asked to take several baby outfits with you into hospital if that is where you’ll be birthing your baby. It’s a good idea to have a mixture of both 000’s and 0000’s to start with. How long they spend in each size really depends on how quickly your baby grows (and oh boy do they grow quickly!) but unless you have a premature or very small baby, getting more 000's than 0000's is a good idea.^

Please do look at our own blog
    <.http://www.beautyfashiondigest.com/headbands-for-women/

March 11, 2013 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kate

Nathalie did buy baby clothes. There of photos of her doing it online. These hypocritical "very religious" people make me laugh. Pregnancy out of wedlock, non Jewish father. You are either Jewish or you are not. You cannot pick and choose which rules to follow. I would say Nathalie is Jewish, but not "very Jewish" by her actions. LOL!

March 4, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jay P.

I the hell care.... I think being Jewish is cool even thow I am not Jewish, Natlie does not pratice any relgion because her parent didnt she says. Jesus was Jewish and so were the 12 apostles ... who wrote the (New covenent, New testementI) think it time Natile figures out who she is in God. now that She is going to be a Mom,and there are plenty of Jesus believing Jews out there! know as Messianic Jews the fastest growing Jewish sect known.
    Jesus the Jewish messiah. Jesus first came as a suffering messiah and the the second as the ruling messiah!

January 24, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. patpout

Did she have to thrown in "I am very Jewish"? who the hell cares?

January 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Roland

Nice to know but your already married, beautifull.

January 14, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. LGLK

In the Jewish tradition, you're not supposed to buy baby stuff until after the baby's birth. You register for the things you need and then the husband/significant other, friend or family member runs out and gets the necessities. It's pretty practical actually and the baby needs fewer things than you think when they're a few days old.

January 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • julie

Makes sense! I know women followed that strictly back in the day, but it seems today's young women are getting away from that.

January 14, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Lindsay

You are not supposed to have a baby shower either. Most well known baby stores will hold your items until you call them to tell them to set up the nursery. I did not have a shower with my first child.

January 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mich

Is it me, or does she always seem shallow and self-absorbed in these press pieces? Every article I've read about her lately screams shallow, selfish, and immature. Hope she can get out of herself enough to be a good wife and a good mother. If she fails at that, nothing else really matters.

January 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • MattK

Seriously? Did you read the same article the rest of us read? No where in the articel did she appear self absorbed or have a "all about me" complex. It's not cool to be negative just to be a jerk. But guess it takes all kinds. Even the village idiots like you are let out to run amok from time to time.

January 14, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. derp

"Natalie Portman on why she hasn't bought baby clothes"

Because they would not fit her?

January 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Stephanie

I didn't buy baby clothes until 3 weeks before my delivery date. Everyone thought I was cutting it a little too close, but I just didn't want to tempt fate there. I also agree with her on the sweat pant thing. In the early stages of pregnancy you have a little bump and finding things that fit is quite a task! I wore my pajama pants around the house. She probably won't need maternity clothes until she is around 24-26 weeks, that's when I popped out with my first. I felt so sad that I had such a small baby bump...and then I was so huge I could barely walk! :) I hope she enjoys this pregnancy. I wouldn't change being a mom for anything!

January 13, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. SKY

NATALIE WOULD LOOK BEAUTIFUL IN ANYTHING SHE WEARS.
    AND SHE IS A VERY GIFTED ACTRESS.

January 13, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. LBW

Most women don't start with the nursery until closer to time. If something bad happened and she didn't go to term, the let down is so painful. My sister calls it tempting the gods. I'm happy for her and I know that her baby will be just beautiful. She looks like Giada.

January 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christine

How very true. I bought a few things at 20 weeks when I found out I was having a boy, but now that I have less then 3 months to go I'm busily working to finish up just in case something happens and he comes early.

January 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Samantha

Natalie is sooo beautiful and a truly gifted actress. Her fiance is so hot. Congratulations!

January 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |