'Modern Family' was to star Lisa Kudrow
January 12th, 2011

'Modern Family' was to star Lisa Kudrow

The "Modern Family" cast may have amazing chemistry, but quite a few of them almost didn't make it onto the show.

TV writer/producer Stephen Falk recently posted the original casting breakdown/wish list for the hit ABC series on his website, and Sofia Vergara (Gloria) and Ty Burrell (Phil) were the only shoo-ins.

"Coach" star Craig T. Nelson was wanted for the Ed O'Neill role of Jay, while former "Friends" star Lisa Kudrow was the top pick to play Julie Bowen's Claire.

"Arrested Development" actor Tony Hale was eyed for Cameron, now played by Eric Stonestreet, and Conan O'Brien's sidekick Andy Richter was to play Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Mitchell, who was originally intended to be a dentist.

Most noteworthy is the pick for 13-year-old Alex: The unidentified actress shown in the slightly out-of-focus black-and-white looks to be a "Roseanne"-era  Sara Gilbert — or at least a dead ringer for the now 35-year-old co-host of "The Talk."

What do you think of "Modern Family's" original picks?

1. Barbara

The only role I ever liked Lisa Kudrow in was Phoebe in Friends. I've hated everything else she's tried to do. I don't think she's a good actress. Off screen she always seems full of herself and a bit obnoxious. Everyone else from friends has gone on to do so much more. I think she would have detracted from this show. The cast works great as it is.

January 13, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. maureen

Thank Goodness they made the right choice in all the casting. Lisa Kudrow would of killed the show, didn't watch friends just because of how awful she is!!

January 13, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. Fee

I love the cast. I think the made the right choice:)) Great Show

January 13, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. brit

Katie holmes is looking 50+ what's up. Tom married a baby as he alway does, doesn't like women his age. I guess
    he has put so much pressure on katie to stay young, that is reversed. He is really good at jumping on counches

January 13, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. SKY

I JUST LOVE HER ACTING....LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING HER AGAIN....

January 13, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. Gary

Perfectly cast show – can't imagine anyone else in the roles. We hear about this all the time, and its hard to imagine the outcome if original choices had made it. For example Beverly Hills Cop was originally to have Sylvester Stallone and be more action film. Eddie made the film. This is the best comedy on TV.

January 13, 2011 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

Sofia is such a hottie, and her personality on the show is perfect with Ed O'Neill. I couldn't picture it any other way.

January 13, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rupert

Lisa Kudrow would have been terrible.

January 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Max

I love the shoe, but I simply love Lisa, anyway Claire is damn good, god LISA!

January 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ANGEL

Because I like the cast and chemistry so much, I believe the right choice was made. Except for Ed O'neil I have never seen the actors before and so think they were able to make the characters as their own. I'm glad they didn't cast Lisa Kudrow though, I dont think she can act anyway!!

January 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

They got lucky and made the right choice. Everyone plays their role perfectly and their faces just fit the part. After viewing just one or two episodes you are sucked in to this world that is Modern Family. It's the perfect disfunction. Ed Oneil is no stranger to that and I'm glad to see him back in a comedic role such as this. Excellent show, excellent cast. Couldn't be better.

January 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cheezfury

SMELLY CAT

January 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. percysmama

I am so happy the cast is the way it is. They have great chemistry and it is my favorite show. I am not a lisa K fan. I think she would have distracted the viewer.

January 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JimmyJam

I agree...they made the right choices...the cast work great together. I love that show...I haven't liked anything since The Cosby Show...maybe even Leave It To Beaver or the He-Man cartoon!

January 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kathi

They definitely made the right choices! This entire cast meshes so well I can't even think of a better crew. Lisa would have made an awful Claire.

January 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Thorough Burroughs

They made the right choices!

January 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |