Brothers say Britney’s song oddly familiar
January 12th, 2011

Brothers say Britney’s song oddly familiar

When David and Howard Bellamy listened to Britney’s Spears’ newly released single, “Hold It Against Me,” they flashed back to 1979.

The country duo, known as The Bellamy Brothers, found it awfully similar to their hit, “If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body, Would You Hold It Against Me.”

“That little song went #1 and has since become one of the defining songs of our career," David Bellamy said in a press release. "If you listen to the lyrics of Britney Spears’ new single, ‘Hold It Against Me,’ you’ll find some major similarities. Howard and I have no personal beef with Britney. She’s a talented gal. But professionally, well, in all honesty, we feel completely ripped off.”

"Hey Brit... If I said you ripped off our song, would you hold it against me?" Howard asked.

The 1979 song was named Record of the Year in the United Kingdom, and has gained more than 300,000 YouTube hits since the controversy broke Tuesday.

But Spears’ digitized, pulsing beat is a big contrast to the honky-tonk beach sway of The Bellamy Brothers’ song. And although there are some similar themes, none of the lines are identical (Spears vs. Bellamy).

CNN reached out to Spears’ camp for a statement but has not received a response.

1. Susan

Brit can't write music, someone else came up with this...doesn't sound the same. Either way, don't worry it won't be around long, too many younger hot talents out there, sorry fan's Brit isn't 18 anymore....this pop tart never could sing, she is a hollywood design and media hype, electronic engineered voice. She needs to grow up on her own getting kinda old for Daddy to take care of forever......

January 16, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Laura

Either way, they're both washed up has beens.. Britney AND the Bellamy Bros. I honestly have never understood the hype surrounding Britney Spears. Auto-tune much?
    For once I'd like to hear her voice without all the enhancements to see if she really can carry a tune.. Something tells me she can't and that's why there is all that manipulation of her voice on her songs..

January 14, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Keli

Oh boo hoo – this is just ridiculous. Everybody seems to be looking for an extra buck these days. Fact is, they are two different songs with two completely different musical styles that have a similar message. There is bound to be some overlap when you're talking about the same thing. For the Bellamy Brothers to suggest that they were "ripped off" is an utter joke.

January 14, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. Roland

I wonder if she's a christian...

January 14, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jiggered

Brit is nothing more than a con.

January 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. moderateray

Britney should pay the Bellamy Brothers royalties for stealling the portions that are applicable. And the Bellamy Brothers should pay double that amount in royalties to the estate of Groucho Marx and his writers who originated the phrase about 70 or 80 years ago!

January 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

Isn't the "beautiful body" line just a standard bad pickup line anyway? So the Bellamy Brothers are getting upset because Brittney wrote a cliched song that uses the same joke as their cliched song. Um, yeah. Whatever. Next they'll be claiming they used the term "Muggle" before JK Rowling did.

January 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Geeze

Brittney did not write the song, so they need to be upset with the songwriter, not Brittney!

January 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Aaron

Go back under your rock Bellamy Brothers. No one cares or has heard about you since 1979.

January 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. UH60L

I laugh when I see you peopple typing how great she is. I suppose none of you saw the articel alst week about the highest grossing ticket sales for concerts in the US and in the whole world in 2010, not being one you your so-called pop stars, but being Bon Jovi, with over 200 million in concert ticket sales last year, AC/DC was second second. So much for gaga, britany, and all your so called stars.......

January 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KTK

When I first heard it I thought it sounded A LOT like Journey's "I Can't Hold Back". I hear more similarity there then the Brother's song.

January 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Journey didn't do "Can't Hold Back". That was Survivor. However, on that particular album, the lead singer was doing everything he could to imitate Steve Perry (even in the video of that song), so the confusion is understandable.

January 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Alex

Britney, close your legs, I can smell you from here!!!!

January 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BG

Brit...you out of gas ho bag. Please go away.

January 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chitown Jason

I'd like to hold "it" against her. ;)

January 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lol

Britney is just as washed up as they are.... She sux so who cares?

January 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. liz

Does it really matter? it's just a few words, not identical..and the song sucks. B.s. doesn't change or grow at all anymore and is now stuck in gay man//trance//dance song land. Awful!! (not that she was ever really a talent, though!)

January 13, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • O RLY?

I'd hate to see what kind of music you really like, "liz."

"gay man/trance/dance song" lol... really? Not that I'm a fan of Britney, but that comment is just out of poor taste.

January 13, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  17. Crys

I am not a Britney fan, and I really don't like the beat of her new song. Still, I don't think she stole a song that came out before she was born. The melody is completely different, and most of the lyrics are very different. The line in question is similar but different. There are only so many themes out there for songs. Maybe one of her songwriters heard the Bellamy Brothers song and borrowed from the theme. I don't think it was lifted completely, and I don't think the Bellamy Brothers have a leg to stand on in court.

January 13, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  18. JR

Its about time someone spoke out in support of the Ballamy Brothers. These fine artist have been ripped off for years by the Rap...Hip-Hop community.....Justin Bieber and now Britney. I say enough is enough.....It must stop now.

January 13, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jen

LOL not similar at all...still not a Britney fan though

January 13, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  20. SKY

I AM SO PROUD OF HER.. SHE REALLY LOOKS AS IF SHE IS TAKING CARE OF HERSELF.

January 13, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  21. Rain Raven

Only thing similar is the phrase, "Would you hold it against me." Lame trying to call someone out for ripping off something when in reality it's no where near the original song in question. Get a life, guys. And, stop trying to eek out another 15 minutes of fame.

January 13, 2011 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jeff

Is this really unexpected? With all the music artists out these days trying to make a name for themselves, it's bound to happen that a song will sound or have lyrics like a song from 10.20,30,40, 50 years back. There really are only so many words and combinations out there. As long as it's not a Vanilla Ice type of thing it's a non-issue.

January 13, 2011 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Eli Lilly

That's not correct. Copyright infringement doesn't have to be intentional, reference "3 Boys Music v Michael Bolton" where Bolton wrote a song that parts similar to an older Isley Brothers song. Bolton denied even having ever heard the song, but the artists were able to prove that he most likely did hear the original song and was unintentionally influenced by it

January 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Chris

Britney is awful either way.

January 13, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  24. Atomic Bomb

Lol when I heard that part of Britney's song the Bellamy brothers song did come to mind. Only because of whould you hold it against me lyrics but other than that its not at all the same. I think its a little stupid that they said anything. What nobody can use those words in a song anymore? Her song is no way near your song and I'm not saying that beacuse I like her song because I don't.

January 13, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  25. oheneba1

BRITNEY SPEARS is the Queen of POP music #1 in 17 countries within 48hrs of release....dnt hate this is just On heard of PPl...

January 12, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROBERT ELLIOTT

yes brit wriped them off u think she came up with that riff hello.

January 13, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  26. pugsly

britt and the bro,s are washed up peices of music trivia. contribute something new or STFU

January 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  27. cyndigo

Get real, guys – they're not even CLOSE to being the same!

January 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Nathan

"And although there are some similar themes, *none of the lines are identical*."

Shut up, Bellamy Brothers.

January 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meghan

agreed!! sounds like the bellamy brothers are just trying to drum up some publicity for their long-forgotten song.

January 12, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • JDUB

EXACTLY!!! LOL

January 13, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • ConcernedNetizen

The lines are similar, but not identical for a reason. To protect the plaguerizer from litigation, and to give the legal team a leg to stand on in court when defending her. Only an idiot would plagiarize a song word-for-word, note-for-note.

January 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ms Yola

Bellamy Brothers must be broke and hungry for publicity....Just ridiculous...Her new song is not identical...Those country old farts are scheming to sue her.....Good luck with that one.......Ms Britney is holding her own....Far from a con.....She is a great with fame and fortunate. There are some that love her...And those that are haters.......Go Brit!

January 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |