What's the verdict on Britney's new single?
January 11th, 2011

What's the verdict on Britney's new single?

Here’s the thing about Britney Spears: Regardless of what you think about her or what the headlines may say, when this pop star drops a single – leaked or not – everyone stops to listen.

That’s exactly what happened when Spears’ latest song, “Hold it Against Me,” arrived a day early on Monday, sparking loads of commentary - even though the demo had made rounds on the Web last week with Perez Hilton singing preliminary praises.

When Ryan Seacrest debuted it on his show Monday, he promised that the track is “hot...it’s gonna be sick in the club,” and the fans, of course, are feeling it.

"We're playing it at the top of every hour, and the reaction has been great," Tommy Chuck, the program director at Tampa, Florida’s 93.3 radio station told MTV. "Both on Facebook and Twitter, people are glad Britney's back; [they're] thanking us for playing the song, telling us how amazing she is, and all the air staff loved it. It's a solid single, and it'll be a big hit for her."

Lyrics reminiscent of cheesy pick-up lines aside, the song has already slid into the No. 1 spot on iTunes, even though it’s only been officially released for less than a day. And that's not just in the U.S., either - according to the New York Post, Ms. Spears is also No. 1 in 14 other countries.

The critics, for the most part, are just as happy to welcome Brit back with open arms. Most pointed out that while Britney stays in her lane with this one, that’s not necessarily a bad thing, and this song should still get the red carpet ready for the release of her seventh studio album, expected to drop in March.

“'Against Me’ is classic Britney — that is to say the vocal performance is far from stellar, but it serves as a nice accessory to the…thumping Euro techno groove,” writes an Entertainment Weekly critic. And yet, “[c]lub-goers will be less concerned about Britney’s artistic maturation and more about how this one encourages rump shaking. That, it will do.”

Over at Rolling Stone, they're ready to break out a drink or two in honor of the chart-topper. “She sounds stronger than several thousand yesterdays. ‘Hold It Against Me’ is prime Britney,” said Rolling Stone. “[I]t definitely promises great things for her album - aside from the overall jaw-drop factor that Britney has hung in there to make a seventh album at all. SlimJim-tinis all around!”

A Boston Herald critic, however, isn’t as convinced that this song can hold its own against some of the other pop princesses of the day. “'Hold It Against Me’ should crash the Top 10,” the critic said. “But it won’t give Brit the gas to mount (yet another) comeback against Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and today’s in crowd.”

The Washington Post concurs, noting that while it's "probably not..a Gaga slayer," it is "the first track from Spears's upcoming don't-call-it-a-comeback disc [that] mixes the best of Gaga, RiRi and mid-'00s electro-inspired Europop,” the paper said.

What do you think? Is Britney’s "Hold It Against Me" a sign that 2011 will be her year, or are listeners just happy to have her back?

Filed under: Britney Spears • Celebrities • Music

1. meteo sur 3 mois

Tout d'abord compliments pour votre note, tout autant eclairantes et posees. Toutefois, certains passages auraient merite plus de developpement, notamment vers la fin du billet. C'est juste un moyen de dire que je suis empresse de decouvrir la suite|

July 10, 2013 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. Anthony

i don't think she cleans either.

March 18, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. best human hair wigs

You're so awesome! I don't suppose I have read something like that before. So great to discover somebody with genuine thoughts on this topic. Really.. thanks for starting this up. This website is something that's needed on the web, someone with some originality!

March 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. xrysali

britney's new single is amaaaazing... love love love

February 18, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. tricia crosby

It all about music. and she been bless to know what sell.

January 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ldg

It took me half way thru to catch the pun

January 21, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Susan

Brit isn't 18 anymore the new kid on the block grinding those hips! Too much young talent out there that doesn't have to take their clothes off or keep their hands up near their face while performing so they can't see she's not singing. Now, Brit fans don't go off on the deep end over the fact that this isn't a come back, she's been hear all the time, wasn't she on tour just last year 2010....I say take the money girl and run with your kids....your team will keep promoting you so they can all get paid, even your Dad who is paid to watch you.

January 16, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lem

Britney = Queen of Pop.

Enough said.

January 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BritBoy

I wish Brit's new album has another song like 'GIMME GIMME, GIMME MORE!!' That will rock!!

January 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pliny

(sob sob)
    LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!
    (Boo Hoo Hoo)

January 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. redwood city

Britney and pop music sucks!!

January 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rush

I wish she would reach for my coin purse and pull out some change in the front seat of her old pickup truck

January 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lu

Did she ever really leave tho.....?

January 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rat Scabies

They all suck. Stop listening to that Top 40 crap and start listening to real music. Britney, Rianna, Eminem, Gaga...they're all highly untalented hacks and have zero musical substance. This music only appeals to 12 year old girls and people with a diminished mental capacity.

January 12, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. MD

If anyone really thinks she has talent.......then you belong in the same trailer park BS does.

January 12, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. blah

her music is c r a p and all music like it is c r a p. there is no talent there or in any of it like it.

January 12, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  17. Amy

bored. me. to. death. I was looking forward to the single, and it was a huge disappointment. (and it is a total copy of the Bellamy Bros)

January 12, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. Carol

I heard the single and didn't like it. Sometimes songs grow on me so maybe I need to listen to it a few more times. I'm not a Britney hater and like her last two albums. I'll listen to it but I wouldn't buy it. Britney is manufactured and not a real artist, we all know that. She can't sing and doesn't play any instruments but her shows sell out. People like the spectacle of her shows. This woman has an incredible team behind her who keep the Britney machine well oiled like it or not.

January 12, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  19. Mike

Why listen to Britney? Black Country Communion have a real album, with real soul, coming in June. Listen to real music, not fake autotuned crapola written by scientists in lab coats for maximum airplay.

January 12, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  20. deja vu

We've heard very similar lyrics before.
    20th century verison, by the Ballamy Brothers: If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?
    21st century version: by Britney Spears: So if I said I want your body now, would you hold it against me?

January 12, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  21. the last man who knew

america....STOP LISTENING TO CRAP! STOP LETTING THE MEDIA AND HOLLYWOOD RUN YOUR LIVES! TAKE BACK YOUR BRAINS! THIS IS NOT MUSIC!

if you look forward to this, lady gaga, or any of the garbage the record companies tell you is music, think outside the box...all they play is the same crap reinvented by others....50 artists that sound alike....REVOLT! THINK FOR YOURSELF!

DAMN THE MAN!

January 12, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  22. palintwit

I'd like to see her do some biscuit bumping with Bristol Palin ( aka The Dancing Porker )

January 12, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  23. crashtx1

When I heard the song I thought it was a joke or a spoof, but apparently it's not. What a piece of crap.

January 12, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  24. overgaga

so sick of GaGa and how she has set the tone for IT pop! no matter who people are talking about, whether it's the legendary Britney Spears ,or even the obscure Karin Dreijer Andersson from The Knife/Fever Ray, people are always comaparing them to Lady Gaga. she is old news and very boring. the first line in this article is right one "say what you want about her, when she drops a single, everyone stops and listens" so don't play all you britney haters, you know it's worth listening to the queen of pop! and those talking about her needing help from computer aid, well, welcome to pop....everyone does....don't single Britney out.

January 12, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jen

Haven't loved anything of hers since Album #1...the school uniform video :)

January 12, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  26. Red

Someone wake me when they find the 'Spears' P0rn trilogy' please. Thanks

January 12, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. Peace

I'd like to think there is room for everyone – Britney, Madonna, Gaga, Rihanna. If you listen, they are all giving us something just a bit different, but it's all still pop music which, by definition, is similar. What Britney's done here is begin taking dubstep out of the London club scene and into mainstream music. I think it's a great step for her to take. That being said, Gaga is going to kill it with her next record. I can't wait for either – I'm a fan of both ladies.

January 12, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  28. Vittorio

It's unbelievable how these critics talk so easy, sometimes I think they really do not know anything and they go with the buzz. Britney Spears has been around since 1999 not stopping doing very good music and everyone loves her. Even in her darkest moment, she delivered her best, Blackout, which is one of the best pop albums EVER!!! Britney Spears does not need a meat dress to grab attention, she has enough talent and history already proving it, and the response of a # 1 single in almost the world world after 11 years, come on, critics, read more before you give your personal opinion.

January 12, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  29. Garry

say what you want.. I love Brit..we all have our problems in life, so big deal...get off your high horses folks...just because she is in the spotlight you put her down...?? Gaga is great, Jesse who?? Never heard of them..yet...

January 12, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  30. Jorge

The old Britney is over, get it. Hold It Against Me is #1 because it's from Britney. It will be forgotten in a couple of weeks. It will not be #1 in charts (that's my opinion).

January 12, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  31. Gary

I don't see the uproar–she still can't sing without the aid of computer. My fear is that she's gonna be the female Elvis, and not in a good way.

January 12, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  32. Rattima

January 12, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Rattima

Girl I swear
      I’m never going through this again
      I know that you thought you’d win
      And before I give you another try
      I’d die Love won’t make you cry or ask why
      Oh why
      So I’ll deny my heart cause I won’t live a lie
      Why try

Your heart is empty
      And you’re so cold
      You don’t care about you and I
      Your heart is empty
      You won’t let go
      But I’m walkin out this life
      Why can’t you let it go
      Why can’t you let it go
      (Let it go, let it go, let it go)
      Girl because your heart is empty
      Why can’t you let it go
      Let it go, let it go, let it go
      Girl because your heart is empty

There you go
      Tryna tell me how to be a man
      When that’s something you just don’t understand
      It’s time to bring your truth to light
      No lie Love won’t make you cry or ask why
      Oh why
      So I’ll deny my heart cause I won’t live a lie
      Why try

Your heart is empty
      And you’re so cold
      You don’t care about you and I
      Your heart is empty
      You won’t let go
      But I’m walkin out this life
      Why can’t you let it go
      Why can’t you let it go
      (Let it go, let it go, let it go)
      Girl because your heart is empty
      Why can’t you let it go
      Let it go, let it go, let it go
      Girl because your heart is empty

Your heart is gone
      My heart is strong
      Leave me alone,
      leave me alone
      Your heart is gone
      My heart is strong
      Leave me alone,
      leave me alone
      Your heart is empty (empty, empty)
      Your heart is empty (empty,empty)

Your heart is empty
      And you’re so cold
      You don’t care about you and I
      Your heart is empty
      You won’t let go
      But I’m walkin out this life
      Why can’t you let it go
      Why can’t you let it go
      (Let it go, let it go, let it go)
      Girl because your heart is empty
      Why can’t you let it go
      Let it go, let it go, let it go
      Girl because your heart is empty

January 12, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • SoulTrain1943

You are a master with one and two syllable words.

January 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Barnacle Bill

Anyone who likes this crap knows *nothing* about music.

January 12, 2011 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
    • loser

ahah, you must be a lady guyguy fan!

January 12, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • alice

@Barnacle I believe that's assuming a bit much. We don't like Britney for her musicality. It's because she's generally relatable, has incredibly catchy songs, entertaining music videos, and is (was?) a sweet southern girl. Just because we like it doesn't mean we all like it for the same reason. And let's face it, most people just love to hate her. My point is, I myself am quite practiced in music theory, performance and fundamentals, but I still love Britney and her songs. They're not mutually exclusive things, Britney-loving and musical knowledge.

January 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. sassie

At least Britney didn't have a dress change before receiving every award in the days that was happening for her. Gaga made a goo goo of herself parading up in one macrabre outfit after another on stilts and wigs with the hair falling out. what a he/she mess. She is just a Madonna with a twist. Her bloody scenes are a big turn off and too cliche' i.e. Marilyn Manson. A lot of artists have had more shock value than Gaga. Britney doesn't have to shock to do her thing.

January 12, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  35. Marco555

What she's like 30 now? what's up with this 12 year old stuff?

January 12, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  36. jaded

DId ya hear that Snooki went on a fishing trip with all the guys from JS and came back with a big Red Snapper?

January 12, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  37. Sarah

@ none. You sound like my dad! So u must be a little up there in age. And you must not listen to all types of music because there have been great songs that have come out in the past 10 years.

To me Brittany's fan base is still the tenny boppers

January 12, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob G

If you are so up to dtae on al the latest in music why can't you spell he r name correctly?

Britney.

January 12, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  38. Atomic Bomb

@Chip Lover, w t f are you talking about? Please stop sniffting glue. As for the the new song, eh..might have to grow on me but I never did care for her singing anyway. Its not my style of music but I have nothing bad to say about her.

January 12, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  39. none

Britney has a new single and all the stupid radio stations that bubble gum brain teenagers listen play it all day long. But when real talented musicians that actually write and play their music, no one listens. go figure. Today's music sucks and MTV (which should be called STV) sucks even more, as they killed music. None of today's music will be rememberd in 10 years or be considered classic at any time.

January 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • des

I agree, britney is NOT talented, she is a tool and without a good sound guy she couldn't sell anything, too bad, and she is not a natural beauty as someone here said, you think she has not had work done? it is sad that she is still selling the sleeze to the little ones whos parents obviously haven't a clue. It is sad after all she has been through that she still cannot grow up and chooses to take the low road all for the love of money. We see the male version following her path in this beaver kid. too bad

January 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jan Michael Vincent

The big difference between Britney and Gaga is that Lady Gaga has a pen1s. Britney is packing pure beaver.

January 11, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • I know right

Also, unlike Gaga, Britney is actually a very pretty girl without gimmicks and when she's done up she's HOT. Gaga is just some detached persona a la Marilyn Manson / David Bowie in his prime years screaming, "LOOK AT ME! HERE'S SOME RANDOM STUFF TO DISTRACT YOU!" Britney has a human narrative, but I find it really hard to relate to Lady Gaga (I mean, what do we know about her outside of her catchy songs and visual artiste videos, really?)

January 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ozzi

Gaga isn't going to be able to keep up the image. Britney is Britney au natural.

January 11, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Peter

Funny... Britney is number one And will always be. Gaga is great and Taylor is good, but Britney is much better and her fan support her fully. Those girls were just lucky that Britney didn't realize a CD last year cause no one could compare to her! Team Britney!

January 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  42. what

a comeback? she never left.

January 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  43. sheree

Terrible ! Half of it is all computerized voice. So over it .

January 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Mateo

This is definitely another HIT by the queen pop Britney Spears. We all do stop and listen when Britney releases a new hit because she still has the talent in this career. As far as for the other artist, they will need a stronger hit to out beat an icon like Britney Spears. She's the one great artist of our time. If this is her first single we can at least expect 4 or more great singles of the seventh album and let's not even talk about a sold out tour for 2011. This is Britney Spears year. No doubt about it.

January 11, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Alex

How is she trying too hard when she only tweeted about the song and the rest is history...
    she did not gave interview, performance... the song did not get airplay of at least one day and it is #!1 in the world!!!

January 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  46. BIG TUNA

Snooki has them all beat. She has looks, tallent, class. That Snooki is one classy lady.

January 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Terra

YUCK! She is so over! Sorry Brit!

January 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Chip Lover

I find it interesting that everyone cares so much about her single but nobody has touched on the fact that the media has seen her eat chips in public. It is great news that BritBrit is comfortable enjoying chips here and there. I for one will never shy away from my love of chips. I enjoy eating them daily.

January 11, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  49. CAFE456

POP PRINCESS!
    #1 ON BILLBOARD!~
    REQUEST IT TO YOUR RADIOS!~

January 11, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  50. jay

Britney is THE QUEEN of POP, as said by Lady Gaga herself,
    Hold It Against Me is the hottest track out there right now. And Britney certainly isn't back, because SHE WAS NEVER GONE!

January 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Leigh

I find Lady Gaga to be way tiresome – the girl tries way too hard.

January 11, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. oscar

Please...I can't wait to see Britney...ahem..sing at the Grammy's

January 11, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

Lip sync of course because that is what she does, her talent is whoever mixes her studio recording. They add what she does not have , the vocal talent , it's such a farce these days . The singers of my generation could sing and sing well not be dubbed and mixed so theysound good out of a computer like they do these days

January 12, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
    • anita

A brilliant tour-de-force for auto-tune.

January 12, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  53. Eizza

Gaga has been here for maybe 2 yrs.. Brit been here for 12 yrs...sooooo u figure it out ;-)

January 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Yeah, "Brit" has been here for 12 years. 2 at the top of the charts and 10 in rehab, divorce, mental facilities, Mouseketeers and hitting cars at gas stations. This is yet another overmastered take off on other songs. Uh, Bellemy Bros. classic, "if I said you had a wonderful body, would you hold it against me?"

January 12, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  54. Chris

Lady GaGa and Jessie J have made Britney irrelevant.

January 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • laughable

Okay, Gaga I get... but Jessie J? Since when has she done anything relevant in the music realm in the past couple of months? She had that one "hit" that really didn't last very long.

January 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Chris

Who is Jessie J? Jessie James? If that's what you meant, then you're pretty stupid. Jessie James has been irrelevant since falling off the radar, not long after she released that garbage you probably consider music.

Fail, Chris Griffin.

January 11, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I guarantee that you will know who Jessie J is. Very soon. One hit? LoL. She just went went to the United States this year. It's only a matter of time now. She can out-sing Britney any day.

January 11, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitch

Seriously? Lady Gaga is the music equivalent of dangling a shiny object in front of a cat and Jessie J is an obnoxious nobody that will never make it.

January 12, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

You're one of those people who don't see past the exterior, do you? These women are singer/songwriters. They also play instruments. Britney Spears is barely a singer. She's all image, and no substance. Where is her vocal range? She doesn't have one. Lady Gaga is making history. If you seriously don't think Jessie J will make it, you're sadly mistaken. I'm no psychic, but I believe that she has the talent to carry herself a long way. Time will tell. You'll see.

January 12, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Kanz

No dude, haters like yourself are irrevelent. Lady Gaga, talented as she might be, have a long way to go before they can even be considered anywhere near, as good as Britney. So please, if you like Gaga, good for you, but Britney....well....she'll probably regain her stature as being the biggest and most entertaining singer out there. And thats what its all about....Chris.

January 12, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Eminem has made a real good come back. I think 2011 will be his year. Lady Gaga is just an image, an actor trying to make it in the music world. I am not a huge fan of rap, in fact I think most of it is silly. Give me the Beatles, The Who, and Lynard Skynard over 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, and Kanye West any day. But there is something about Eminem I have always liked. It has nothing to do with his music. It has to do with who he is as a person. Under all those mean lyrics, and tough exterior is someone who is going to be very important.

January 12, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

Britney Spears? Irrelevant? Sorry, but that will never happen. Britney Is A VERY important part of pop music history and will be around FOREVER. Its cool that you like Gaga and all, she CAN be compared to Britney as she is also a pop phenomenon but Brit has still created something special of her own. This will be her third decade in the music business, and she is still evolving, she has a lot more left in her than you may think. But, to who ever Jessie J is, well, she can be compared to Britney when she becomes half the icon that Britney is. Britney has been around for a while, and is back on track. Don't Be mad because she is actually going somewhere now. Her past 2 albums, blackout and Circus have turned a major page for her, and I have no doubt that this new record will do the same, shes come out with something AMAZING and its people like you who will send her back into the dark. So maybe Britney can't sing as well as Gaga, well she still has beats and dance moves that could make her head spin. Music isn't just about singing anymore, its about a performance, something that icons like Britney and Gaga each do in their own way. So, in the wise words of Chris Crocker, Get a life and "Leave Britney Alone."

January 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |