'Spider-Man' musical top seller on Broadway
January 11th, 2011

'Spider-Man' musical top seller on Broadway

Despite some high profile troubles, including an injured stunt man and having to replace an actor, the Broadway musical "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" is back in the limelight with some good news.

The New York Times reports that the show "has knocked “Wicked” from its usual perch as the highest-grossing show on Broadway, claiming the top spot for itself last week."

According to the Times, the sales numbers were close. "Spider-Man" reportedly outsold by the slim margin of $58 by grossing $1,588,514 while "Wicked," which is a retelling of the famed "Wizard of Oz" tale,  grossed $1,588,456.

The report notes that "Wicked" boasted 100 percent of its audience paying for their tickets with an average paid admission of $109.76 while “Spider-Man” – which has been in its preview period – offered some discount and complimentary tickets with an average paid admission costing $102.86.

There was also some variance in venues.

While both musicals played to full houses last week, "Wicked" had 1,809 seats to sell at the Gershwin Theater while "Spider-Man" sold 1,930 seats at The Foxwoods Theater.

1. Styna Williams

The injured actors and their coworkers are still very much in favor of this production. All you naysayers can take your complaining, ill-assuming asses to Wicked. As a family member of one of them, we don't want or need you here. It's all about supporting one of the greatest Broadway productions ever made, and obviously you are too ignorant and blind to see such talent.

January 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sarah

I thought it was an amazing show with great special effects, astounding scene changes the like of which I have never seen (and I have seen a lot of plays), and great singing. My one thing was that some parts weren't appropriate for children...although I'm pretty sure it would go over their heads.

January 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. your mom

you suckaz can all suck on my FAT one!

January 12, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Golden Girl

I can see that there are a lot of trolls (spiderman audition rejects) commenting on this thread today.

January 12, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ace

A much better indicator of sales is StubHub. Whereas there is limited ticket availability on Stubhub for Wicked there are hundreds of excellent tickets at discounted prices available for Spiderman. Doesn't that strongly suggest the winner is Wicked? Are all the discounted tickets for Spiderman evidence that there's a problem selling out???

January 12, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. nick

30 more than an entire day at Disney... Wow.

January 12, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. John I'm avl

Going to NYC in the spring with some friends. We can't decide which show to see. Wicked (wives are voting for this) and Spiderman (husbands choice).

January 12, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

I suppose you don't need to go to the theatre to report takings but would think the writer would know that Wicked is not a "retelling" but a prequel to Wizard of Oz.

January 12, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. heehawman

Call me whatever but I cannot wait to see this. C U in March NY.

January 12, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Benji

your overdrmatic snob, what'd you expect to see at a spiderman musical.

January 12, 2011 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. King Lou

I saw this show on Dec 26th. It is an unbelievable nonsensical mess. Its literally the worst thing I have ever seen on broadway. If I hadn't been into the show for $300 I would have walked out. It was an unparalleled disaster. The story sucks then it gets crazy. The 2nd act is like a terrible fever dream you can't wait to end. Please don't keep this terrible nonsense onBroadway. Its garbage.

January 12, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • John I'm avl

Well I guess the whole production needs to close down now because YOU didn't like it.

Lol. The arrogance of some people.

January 12, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. James

I saw this show on Dec 10. I've seen over 40 shows on Broadway since 1996 and this was in the top 3. Sensational show. I've been reading negative reviews everywhere by people who HAVE NOT SEEN THE SHOW!! It's a good story, with great music. Very entertaining.

January 11, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NaMattme*

Jesus was spiderman

January 11, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Nope, but I am the most famous ZOMBIE. You may recall that I rose from the dead. Of course, if you are grounded in reality, then all this Jesus mythology is just that, a myth and a first century version of Voodoo.

January 12, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. savvanah

something to look forward..

January 11, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. niqui

the best movie!!

January 11, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Charles McGann. L

What was the spider man lunch box about then my nefu likes spider man

January 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. BIG TUNA

this is cool. way cool. spiderman is an american hero. just like snooki and thw guy on tosh 2.0--tosh 2.0 is a great ang wonderful show. why dont ya talk about it you sissies.

January 11, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rob

abcdefg, hijklmnop, qrs, tuv, wx, y and z. Now I know my ABC's, next time won't you sing with me?

January 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mark in nyc

americans are such ghouls

January 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jim

I would definitely pay 102 dollars to see who will fall on top of the audience. Isn't that why we go to circus after all?

January 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. VK

Probably wondering who will fall next...

January 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Exactly! They want to be there to witness the overhead wire breaking or the poor schmuck of an actor falling 30 feet. Strip away the circus atmosphere and what you're left with is a lousy script, terrible acting, and marginal music. It is a far cry from when musicals depended on great tunes, an engaging script, and really good acting.

January 12, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  22. cheefsfury

AMERICA LOVES A TRAIN WRECK

January 11, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spencer

The Dumbing of America is Now Complete! Welcome to the Dark side!

January 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Overact much?

January 12, 2011 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

For the same reason many go to see NASCAR races. They want to witness a disaster. There has been plenty of press surrounding falls and wire support failures to bring out the "I was there when..." crowd. If everything works out well mechanically, the show's inane script and acting (or lack thereof) will predominate and ticket sales will fall of a cliff.

January 12, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |