Shakira splits from boyfriend of 11 years
January 11th, 2011

Shakira splits from boyfriend of 11 years

After 11 years together, Shakira and her agent beau Antonio de la Rúa have called it quits. The singer confirmed the news yesterday in an open letter to fans on her website.

"Since August 2010, we made a mutual decision to take time apart from our romantic relationship. Throughout this time we have continued to work together hand in hand, have remained close and have kept the details absolutely private, until now," she says.

The 33-year-old Colombian singer adds that the pair views the separation as a time of individual growth, and that they will remain in each other's lives professionally.

"Antonio continues to oversee and conduct my business and career interests as he has always done," she says of de la Rúa, the son of a former president of Argentina. "We move forward as partners, developing projects together, working hand in hand and in close communication. Our friendship and understanding of one another is unwavering and indestructible."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Shakira

1. richard moncayo

claro shakira la mejor duela a quien l duela te quiero chakkira besos

March 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ted and

Shakira – Waka Waka HD (Hymn of the crisis) – new song 2011
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8lWOh4zBcY&w=640&h=390]

February 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. D

LMFAO I was thinking the same thing HistorySpeaks- Kim pulled that crap right out of her a$$!

January 12, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. Critical sob

I have to agree , her singing voice is abrasive. As for her looks, average. How long could anyone tolerate hearing that everyday. The guy must be half deaf to stand that for 10 years! lol

January 12, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mano

This is the best news I've heard all week.

January 11, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Myree

"Taking a break" doesn't work if you're planning on getting back together, from my experience. If you reach the point where separation is how you deal with your problems then you're probably not going to go back to dealing with your problems in close quarters.

January 11, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cameron

she must've realized that i recently became divorced...perfect timing.

January 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Haha. I'll arm wrestle you for her! J/k. I'm not that strong. Sorry about your divorce, though. There are still plenty of great women out there, though.

January 12, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. KGB

Her bod maybe one thing but her voice has got to go!!!! Sounds like Kermit is either down her throat or up her colon. Her music can also get old. But not bad for a chica from Columbia. I'd rether listen to Elvis Crespo or Carlos Vives. Anyway, not worth the spit.

January 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bmw

Thanks...

January 11, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kieth

WHO GIVES A FLYIN RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPP!!!

January 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mick

Wow, this is great news. Because I'm sure I have a very realistic chance here...

January 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Robert

Wish she would be my Girlfriend. She is so very beautiful.

January 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. history speaks

TO KIM: Don't know about the coffee, hon, but I'm fairly sure Benjamin Franklin wasn't Muslim.

January 11, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mr.Delusional

He could do so much better anyways. I'm sure he will find himself in the middle of a Selma Hayek and Penelope Cruz sandwich.

January 11, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tabitha

Well my ex will be happy! He actually thought he had a chance to begin with...being a insurance claims representative from the midwest! Who lost his house in foreclosure, and is largely overweight! I always thought she was prettier with her dark hair and as long as she is silent. Her singing sounds like a cat being stepped on. I hope she finds someone, but topping the prince of Argentina.

January 11, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. bill

Whatabutt!!

January 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. BIG TUNA

11 years really is a long time though when you think about it. after that long you get attached. maybe itll work out for them

January 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Haterz be hating

Shakira is hawt and talented!! stop hating and stop trolling!!

January 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. BIG TUNA

People really are mean. All the ugly post. She seems like a super nice person and really is a good entertainer. I would whole lot rather pay to hear her sing than justin bieber or brittney spears. Hopefully things will be great for them both.

January 11, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. wisdom4u2

She doesn't have to worry about getting a man, most would love to have her and her hips.

January 11, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Kim

So you're saying there's a chance?

January 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  22. nitrous

Finally – I'm getting my chance!

January 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Shrek

Either way she is MUY Caliente !

January 11, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. papa

muy bonita princessa

January 11, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tracy

Why is it that when celebrities break up they always remain friends & continue to have the utmost respect for each other? Who are they kidding?

January 11, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  26. lancon454

Hey Vin show some class man. I know that you dream of that, but I for one do not care for you putting that on this page! There are sites that you can pay for that will let you do this all day, and with a real live girl on the other end responding back to you, well it may be a girls, you never know. Get a life!

January 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. SPECTACULAR

im very happy for them both. especially with her maybe gonna be on the shore. that jersey shore is awsome.

January 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. SPECTACULAR

I SAW HER LAST WEEK ON THAT SARAH PAYLIN SHOW. SHE WAS OK. SHE DIDNT REALLY LIKE ALASKA TOO MUCH. WAY TOO COLD.

January 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  29. caca

My foot is asleep!

January 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. caca

Who cares!

January 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • as in doo doo?

now that is a sign of a genius

click on this article, that you know is about Shakira, and type in who cares

I do, I think she is hot

you are un-imaginative and choose to waste your time... clearly your problem

January 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • wisdom4u2

Yeah, why even comment if you don't care??

January 11, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. lancon454

I do not know if it is true or not, but I have heard that she has been wanting a family for a long time and he would not do it. I guess she finally had it and wanted kids. I am not sure if this guy is a D-bag or not, I do not know him, but I think that she will have no issues finding a man that wants to give her a child. I know if I was not married and better looking I would put my hat in that ring, but to bad for her that I love my wife!

January 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. bailoutsos

Shakira, call me. I haven't heard from, Scarlett Johansson, Zac Efron, Jane Carrey, Neve Campbell, Laura Dern, Halle Berry, Elizabeth Moss or Robin Wright yet, so you still have a chance.

January 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  33. vin

I just want to bang her in the ass as she says to me "tell me my hips don't lie papa "

January 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  34. nemo

Me and shi shi...that's my pet name for her...we been dating on the side...sorry looser xboy toy..just the way I roll!

January 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Red

Fantastic looking broad – I bet those thighs are sweet to hold on to.

January 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Lee

First dibs!!

January 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  37. saltydingo

She's a lovely and very sensual woman. I doubt I could even keep up wth her energy. It's a shame they split after that long together. 11 years of celeb relationship is like 50 years together for the average Joe and Jane. It's not necessarily him looking for a younger model either as many suggest. It might be her, feeling her own age. I was with a Model/TV Show Host for 7 years and once she hit 30 it seemed that her friends got younger as she got older, and she finally left over a 21 year old boy. She and I are friends today but that was a tough time. BTW- That 21 year old tried to commit suicide when she realized younger isn't necessarily better and walked from him.

January 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Put

So, NOW I have a chance....

January 11, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Carlos

So basically now it's my turn!! About time she dumped him!

January 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  40. me 2

Hi shakira I am here I will take u

January 11, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jake

Guy's got the head of a dog and the eyes of a rat with Las Vegas lounge lizard written all over his face.

January 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Frost

He should be devastated...I damn sho would be.

January 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Ktrasho

Gerard pique you are so lucky a romance with shakira he is like 6'5 and is a soccer(football) player from catalunya ,spain and by the way " we the latino people don't care about skin color /race so if she is half arab/colombian she is a beutiful woman.

January 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheeks

Don't lie to make your race/culture/ethnicity sound better. There is discrimination everywhere! I have dated MANY Hispanics in my time (Colombians, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, El Salvadorians, etc.) and they do discriminate against each other. Not only do they discriminate on the darker skinned Hispanics, they discriminate based on the country of origin. I saw a scuffle between Hispanics I knew (one form Puerto Rico and the other from El Salvador) and they were busy calling each other wetbacks! There is prejudice, bigotry, racism, and discrimination everywhere. Instead talk about how it isn't right and that it is inappropriate...not that your Latino people don't care about race/color because that is a lie!

January 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jojo the dog face boy

What will happen if either one of them end up in a very serious relationship with someone else? I'm very sure their "business" relationship will change.

January 11, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Flame

It's worse if she ends up with a professional athelete I don't care how good you look some men want a variety married or not.

January 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  46. marc in california

Shakira, I am so sorry about your breakup. Take all the time you need to recover and when you are ready I am here for you.

January 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • that is sweet Marc

she told me she has filed the restraining order and you need to say away or be arrested

January 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  47. yourfather

Your all muslims prepare for warfare brownies

January 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  48. DIrty Islam LIkers

REMEMBER 9-11. PROTEST EVERYONE WHO MIGHT ME ISLAMIC MUSLIMS.

January 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Do you enjoy...say ...coffee???? Do you wear glasses by any chance? Well, coffee and the science of optics were all invented by a Muslim. Guess you better put a ban on all of those!!!!

January 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • who might me?

Figures the idiots are the ones spamming. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if all this muslim talk is coming from the same idiot.

January 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • muslim?

just as all this Shakira is tasty talk is coming from the GLA (Gay Lesbian Alliance)

January 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  49. DIrty Islam LIkers

Is she really a dirty muslim. that might be why her pits stink so much.

January 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  50. LIL Joe

pc jones sounds like an idjit too :)

January 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. LIL Joe

im not a bigot. i was typing yeah to she is hot. olus i think she sings pretty good. Tom is an idgit.

January 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  52. RICK

Too bad girls like this don't go out with regular guys..I have a regular car that uses regular gas on a regular Saturday night date.

January 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. LIL Joe

yeah

January 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  54. PC JONES

I think she looks like she may have germs and might could possibly be an islamical muslim also. We need to bring morality back to music. REMEMBER 9-11

January 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Wes

Geez Shakira I know you said "I had you at hello" but this is to far. And ok maybe I misled you by error but when I said to you, " Lets get together" I meant dinner with you and your guy and me and my wife. I thought I was clear that I only wanted a friendship nothing else, geez.

January 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheeks

WAKE UP...WAKE UP....WAKE UP!!!! It is just a dream...a good one...nevertheless, it's just a dream!

January 11, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Ed

Bathe her and bring her to me!

January 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  57. tom

she seems like a muslim to me. i hope she isnt a terrorist or something. i dont care for her one bit. plus she does look like she needs to take a bath using actual soap.

January 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Hopeful

Hope she comes out that she's with Chely Wright...that would be SO FREAKIN HOT!!

January 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  59. uketi

shakira remenber you are not growing younger,why can't you have just one kid 4 him before you quit.you're the one to lose.

January 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  60. sunless

never mind, better that http://www.supersonic.us.com

January 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  61. DavidfromFL

She is hot... but her weird Kermit the Frog singing voice and dirty barefoot dancing on stage are huge turn-offs. With that said, she's still out of my league.

January 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Dirty barefoot dancing???????? Umm, it's called belly dancing...get a clue about other cultures!!!

January 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheeks

Uhmmm...if you are focusing on her feet why SHE is dancing...there is another problem here (and this from a straight woman)!

January 11, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane

I agree. She is pretty but her voice isn't what most Americans are used to. My boyfriend is from India and he likes her singing. I think American music was highly influenced by jazz and R&B. Our pop and country is even influenced by R&B. I like the smooth soulful sounds and kermit the frog doesn't do it for me.

January 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  62. jfen42

Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!! Now all I need is her number.

January 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  63. cat

wish i had her looks.

January 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. David

I bet she ends up with Gerard Pique, a famous soccer player from Barcelona Spain – they hit it off at the World cup this past year – around the same time as they had their mutual breakup (August 2010)

January 11, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  65. SoulBro

Why doesn't this surprise me. How abut something more interesting to read.

January 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Cosmotologist To The Stars

she my be popular but she is no snooki. snooki and the situation are the bigggest celebs ever.

January 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • jj72

What are you smoking? Those "celebs" of jersey shore have no talent whatsoever. Famous for having a fake tan, boorish behaviour, being ugly as sin and lucky enough that they fit an ugly stereotype.

January 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

What are you smoking, poping or drinking? Whatever it is I don't want any. It makes you think things that just are not true. Like people on the Jersey Shore as "famous". Ha!

January 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • andy

Let me see, Snooki has zero talent, where Shakira is a mega talent. Your post is an epic fail!

January 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  67. me

yo shakira! give me a call girl!

January 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Kat

Shakira is young & hot, she can do better anyway! She should date an Footballer(soccer) stay away from other musicians & actors thier nothing but trouble!

January 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • DW

Yeah right. Athletes are worse to be in a relationship with...good luck with any commitment.

January 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

That would be nice, except that all soccer players are h0m0$exuals. Maybe she could have a close soccer friend that she could shop with and trade interior designer ideas with.

January 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Cosmotologist To The Stars

ny question is how will this effect snooki and the jersey shore. will shakira be guest starring on the shore or will it be a full time gig. i hope she will get along with all the other celebs on it.

January 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  70. YOUBRO

BEST NEWS I HEARD ALL WEEK.

January 11, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  71. bmsvds

So unfortunate. At least they don't have a child involved. Watch for de la Rua hooking up with a much younger girl.

January 11, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Stupid comment you made.

You have got to be pretty freaking special to outshine Shakira. Age means NOTHING.

January 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • no doubt

she is hot, no question

but I bet he goes younger as well

January 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • wisdom4u2

Yeah, well don't be surprised if Shakira hooks up with one of the many Rappers she's done videos with, they would love to get their hands on her hips, if they haven't already!
      She knows how to drop, pop-it and lock it, just the way they like it!! Ha-ha!!

At any rate, I do like Shakira and I wish her the best.

January 11, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • bmsvds

Stupidly true, Valerie. He is a man of power and money. That's how those guys work.

January 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darkrose

Shakira will end up with a Spanish futbol player, most likely Gerard Pique.

January 11, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darkrose and said spanish futballer

I think mr. spanish futbol and darkrose are the same and he is doing a little advertising

January 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darkrose

LMMFAO!!! Oh, how I wish I had Pique's money!! LOL! No, just a fan, I assure you!

January 12, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  72. Besito De Dulce

She is so gorgeous and talented

January 11, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |