Fans ready for the return of 'The Game'
January 11th, 2011

Fans ready for the return of 'The Game'

Despite a cancellation, fans figured out how to play "The Game."

After outcry over the former CW series being canceled in 2009, BET decided to bring the show back with new episodes starting tonight. For those unfamiliar with it, "The Game" is a spin-off of another former popular African-American sitcom, "Girlfriends."

Both were created by writer Mara Brock Akil and both were the subject of major disappointment among their fans upon cancellation. The ensemble cast includes former "Sister, Sister" star Tia Mowry, Pooch Hall and Wendy Raquel Robinson.

The show centers around a group of fictional football players and the women in their lives. Robinson, as the attractive, saucy mother of one of the players, is so popular that her character's name – Tasha Mack – has been trending on Twitter in the days leading up to the series return and there has been lots of chatter about the new episodes.

"What if BET crashes like twitter often does on 1/11/11 when The Game premieres," wrote Twitter user ZPhinale. "It would be a sad day lol."

BET ran a marathon of old episodes over the Christmas weekend, and fans took to social networking sites to express their delight with the scheduled return.

"The wait is almost over," wrote Ramona Robinson on the show's Facebook page (which has more than 3 million followers). "Ready 2 c the new season of my favorite tv show!"

Will you be watching?

1. gold digger

There is certainly a lot to learn about this issue. I love all of the points you've made.

August 28, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. God

The Game sucks!

January 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Avon Barksdale

Also, if you wanna see a real good show watch Southland. It's another cop show but out of the other 10 million cop shows this one is actually pretty good.

January 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rose

I absolutely love the show. I am very satisfied with last nights episode and look forward to the rest of the season.

January 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Avon Barksdale

The Game is lame. The only good thing about this show are the clothes. When this show first came out they did a good job of showing life on & off the field. Now all you see is life off the field. I cant even remember the last time I saw any of the guys in a football jersey. Basically The Game has turned into the show it started from 'Girlfriends'. Now the show is at that weird second chance spot where anticipation is high due to the black women that love the show. The reason this spot is weird is because the show was never all that good to begin with. How many times can Melanie and Derwin breakup then get back together? That's pretty much sums up the whole show except this season they are gonna get divorced then get back together and of course Melanie is gonna have a baby (just like in real life). Last night was predictable, except for the baby is- the baby isnt- wait, the baby is yours part. Who didnt know Malik was gonna sleep with his boys girlfriend. Basically, put more emphasis on the actual GAME OF FOOTBALL. Otherwise just rename it Girlfriend's – version 2.0

January 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robin

I absolutely love the show and so happy it's back. Terrance J is a cutie but, i hope they explore the relationship with Redd Fox, we need closure on that. I hate Kellys' hair and style of dress. come on BET you can do better (that's not her at all). and after two years Kelly and Jason's daughter should not be that old. I love the show so much i will continue to watch regardless, I'm sure it's only going to get better!!

January 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. THEGAMEBIGGESTFAN

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the show, I've watched every episode since day 1(October 1st 2006)... I don't care what happens I'm just happy to have the show back on.....I LOVE all the characters don't have any favorites if i did i would have to say ALL of them lol......Keep up the good work guys....

January 12, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chelly

I loved it!!! I can't wait for next week. Count me in on the team Melanie.

January 12, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Me

This show is just awful, I can't believe they brought this mess back. Whatever.

January 12, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay C Washington

The show was great, Malik has taking been cruddy to a whole new level (lol), TT should have gave him a ride, I saw that one coming the way ol girl looked at him, Bravo Malik....cuz he played himself in previous episodes. I am team Melanie and I think that she needs to tell Derwin the truth and then have the DNA done professionally. Janay can go some where cus she is a groupie despite her "fathers" money. Jason Pitts (Coby) is still a butt head but FUNNY. REALLY Terrence J for Tasha Mack, can we get Rick Fox back or someone else. Sorry Terrence still with 106 & Park or replace TT as Malik's assistance. You can't handle loud mouth Tasha Mack. FYI Tasha Mack you need to handle Kelly, she wrong for holding a grudge, she initiated her Divorce and Jason got smart, shes a gold digger, awful hair cut....

January 12, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. robin

I was just so excited about the show returning, I didn't really care what happened. What I saw was very entertaining and I can't wait to see next wks episode. I was very suprised by Terrence J performance. I thought Tasha was alittle reserve of how she usually is, but I see now she is scared of Kelly. LOL. I want Kelly and Jason back together, though. I do think Janay still wants Derwin, but I do think Melanie is jealous of Derwin and DJ. Good Job, Mara!! Welcome back

January 12, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kim Neal

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. We had a premier party last night and it was great. Wine, food, the girls, and the Game. What a night. Welcome back crew.

January 12, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. taronda

Im all 4 black sitcom,.i enjoy watchin wut tmac is wearing, theres a lil t mac n all of us, welcome back The Game.

January 12, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Worm Food

Yawn.

January 12, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Marie

The show was very good tonight. I like the fact they got straight to the point. Jason and Kelley lol!!! very funny out the end. I believe the baby is not Derwin's because if you remember before Janay stayed at Derwins place he offered her to stay at his place, but she wanted to do one more sleep over at her old place. I think the DNA procedure will need to be handled by a professional and not someone who is a newbie. I feel Janay is still in love with Derwin. What's up with Malik a " dog in heat' . He did his boy foul, but you know how it is. The show is GREAT. GO MELANIE, tell Derwin but make him and Janay have a DNA TEST BY A PROFESSIONAL ...

January 11, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Steph

I hope that the baby is really not Derwin's. I think Janay wants him for herself. I hope the paternity test is repeated and he finds out that it is not his child. I am, all, team Melanie.

January 11, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • lcwd

Im with you on the Derwin, Melanie, (TrickBtch)–Jenay triangle. First of all, where does he get off talking to her like that–if HE hadn't slept with that gold digger in the first place they wouldn't have this problem. And secondly, she DIDNT lie to his @@@@ the LAB made the mistake and she was trying to tell him that –but he of course showed his arogance and ignorance. Lastly, who is he to tell her what she can say and where she IS going to go–last time I looked this was a free country with free speech. Seems to me if Mel has to always walk on egg shells when it concerns this trick–Mel needs to rethink this marriage.

January 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Leena

Melanie you made your bed now lay in it...

January 11, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kevin Olds

Out of Connnntttrrrollll... Melanie was being very selfish with her paternity test and NOW it has all blown up in her face.. NOW WHAT....

January 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. TMOWRY!

Please DO! YOU WONT BE DISSAPPOINTED!

January 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Aliaya

sO ready for Tasha Mack and crew. Welcome back!!!

January 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |