Chely Wright: I received death threats after coming out
January 11th, 2011

Chely Wright: I received death threats after coming out

Country singer Chely Wright came out as a lesbian last May, but she's only now speaking up about the repercussions of revealing her sexuality.

"My record sales went directly in half. If it appears from the outside in that it’s helped my career, it could be because I haven’t talked about the negative," she tells lesbian pop culture blog Autostraddle. "My life has been threatened. I get nasty letters every day, 'I’m through with you Chely Wright, you’re going to hell.'"

Wright, whose hits include "Shut Up and Drive" and "Single White Female," says she decided to come out after nearly taking her life by putting a 9 mm gun in her mouth.

"I spent every ounce of energy hiding the fact that I was gay," she says. "And then I found myself without my partner because we broke up, and I looked around and realized everything I gained in material wealth meant NOTHING to me. No one knew me. I had no real friends. I couldn’t reach out to my friends and say I have a broken heart because they didn’t even know I had a relationship. And, I put a gun in my mouth."

But in the end, she decided not to pull the trigger, and instead took action by being honest about her life.

"I knew that if I had a gun in my mouth, I could imagine how many kids were sitting in their bedroom with a bottle of pills or on the verge in some other way," she explains.

Despite some of the backlash, Wright has no regrets about going public.

"In coming out I had a feeling that it would diminish my wage earning, and that feeling was correct," she says. "And, I am fine with that."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Jennifer

chely wright you are a beautiful woman so who cares what others think i have been there coming out isnt easy and yet when a celebrity finally comes out to their fans they get bashed it just shows you some people need to grow up ..usually when a celebrity comes out they get more fans but some people are just ignorant i am proud of who i am i dont care what others think just because what? im gay and i dont conform to what others want me...pshh whatever keep on being ms wright you are beautiful and talnted :) and i gotta say its about damn time somebody in the country music came out ;) nothing wrong with a beautiful country girl

January 18, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Daniel

I only have one question...Can I watch?

January 15, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. josh

oh no so beautiful and gay.i think lesbians just havent had a real good man,thats all.when you try me baby youll love men again

January 13, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Like that

We all know why ppl come out screaming that they are gay. 1) their career is stalling and they need haedlines 2) if they say their gay, instant fan base 3) a great opportunity to say LOOK AT ME11111

January 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MeIAm

Wow, it's really astounding how people attack one anothere here (just bc they are intollerant of others beliefs/thinking). You all do realize that you're doing this ONLY bc you can do it anonymously, don't you? Now, I'd like to see how many of you doing this also talk this way in face-to-personal-face public! This is really another hidden ugly side of people. Wow. You are also likely the ones whould would steal and do other anti-social things if you knew ahead of time that you could get away with it and also maintain a clean conscious about it. Amazing!

January 12, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. Charles McGann. L

The mark under the I

January 12, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. MeIAm

@Ashke
    Your logic and/or diction is astounding...sarcasim implied. I hope you do think more before you speak, it can really be embarassing for you. You seem to be just as judgmental as those you accuse, in other words...you are projecting. Please, no more ad hominem!

January 12, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. blahblahx2

Coming out as "gay" is the new in thing to do. Good luck figuring out who is or isn't.

January 12, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. MeIAm

@Motsy
    Hey, go look in the mirror! You're just one of those I was talking about. Letting their feeling rule their mentations than actual thinking! You just don't like what I said, so you attack me, NOT any of what I said in a refute. And having studied biology and psychology as long as I have (13) years hardly makes me ignorant. If you don't like the sound of what I said, then just say so! Don't shadow project bc you are so ignorant that you really don't know your inner self! You probably have a family member who is gayy or you are so yourself and you are biased! Think science, not emotionality when attempting any such debate. Have you finished looking into the mirror, yet?

January 12, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. MeIAm

@The Fish
    Analytical psych is NOT Freudian, it's Jungian! 'Psychoanalysis' is Freudian. Sorry to burst your bubble, they are related but both are clearly distinct from the other!

January 12, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. The Fish

Don't count out Sigmond Freud in this case. Some women are born with penis envy. That's why there are lesbians!

January 12, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. MD

WOW.....I am embarrassed for those who posted these truly tasteless and ignornant comments.

January 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. MeIAm

Contrary to what people 'think', you ARE NOT born that way!! There are several reasons why any one specific person is gayy, but the whole 'born that way' is so rare that it can't be generalized to everyone else. Whether you like or don't like what I said and the truth of the matter does NOT change the truth of it! Are ped0philes born that way? Most will say no bc then they can also say they should be persecuted (and rightly so). People have more influence on their object of love then what they think! This can be demonstated within conditioning/behavioralism psych, analytical psych AND cognitive psych. It's such a politiclly charged subject that there's more politics behind the thinking of it than unbiased science! And it's obvious how there is such a great number of people who 'come out' during their 'mid-life crisis' when they realize that now their sun has passed the mid-day point and can only set and go down from there. People react to that realization in very strange, and sometimes irresponsible, ways. Homseksuality is only 'normal' in the sense that it happens, but it's REALLY ignorant to ignore the elephant in the room that it's obvious that the reason there are two seckses in the first place is bc they were meant for each other! Think about it! If it were any other way then there would be more than 2, like 3 or 7 or 22 or even just 1! Frankly, I couldn't care any less if anyone is h0mo or not! It doesn't bother, nor concern me! But let's not be blindingly ignorant about the obvious and make excuses around it! And yes, some of my spelling IS intentional since any comment with certain words in it won't get posted bc of the filter.

January 12, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Motsy

Hey MelAM... your ignorance is blinding!

January 12, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • vince joens

Problem here is, No one wants to hear the other sides opinion.

@Motsy – MeIAm expressed how she felt, yet you call her ignorant. Why? Because she disagrees with you? Who are YOU? Was she bashing gays in her post? No, yet you call her ignorant...I think you are ignorant for the simple fact that you cant carry a simple conversation with someone who disagrees with you. This is why the people on the Right tend to radically disagree with people on the Left. You want us to listen to what you have to say, but when its our turn, you run and hide.

I posted earlier about scientific evidence that people are born gay. No one ever responded (which is fine). Sure they have come up with studies in the past that say there might be a gay gene, but when that study is gone thru by different agencies, the initial studies were ALWAYS found to be incorrect. Please keep that in mind before you go getting ignorant again.

January 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. An Honest American

Sorry to hear of your pain.

Not a country music fan so I never did, nor would, buy your stuff. But I could be your friend. We could chase the babes together.

I don`t condemn gays but I`ll never get the "attraction" to the same gender.

I don`t support "marriage" but do support "civil unions" (Marriage is ordained by God between a man and a woman).

I don`t think gays should "have" children [procreate] since they are "naturally" drawn to partners with whom they can not mate.

I would fight to defend you from a mob that wanted to harm you. I could be your friend.

January 12, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jay

The reaon there was backlash against her coming out was the genre she was in. She sang country music. Most country music fans are conservative christians. Its not part of their beliefs or morals. If she has been a pop star then it would have been no big deal. Just like the backlash against the Dixie Chicks for slamming Bush and saying they were embarrassed to be Americans. They went against the beliefs and ideas of their fan base and paid a huge price for it.

January 12, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. Oh Please

Well and truly said, Meteorite

January 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. Meteorite

That's what that lovely right-wing fanbase is all about.

January 12, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  18. crashtx1

Who?

January 12, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  19. chris

man she's hot!!!! too bad ...

January 12, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  20. Oh Please

Joe, I doubt any woman would let you that close, so your info MUST be hearsay

January 12, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  21. Joe Sharp

Country folks are God fearing people.....They don't like the nastiness of lesbians, with all that tongue flickering and oral discusting things that they do....What I can't get is, how they can get past the smell!!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. jayyo

Do straight people make a conscious decision to be straight? I don't think so. And I think it's the same for gay people. They don't make a conscious decision to be gay. It is what it is, and we just need to get over ourselves.

January 12, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  23. Joe Sharp

She should have stayed in the closet.....now the whole world knows how nasty she is!!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  24. Oh Please

Did it occur to you after your breakup, instead of putting a gun in your mouth, you should have WRITTEN ANOTHER SCHMALTZY "MY WOMAN LEFT ME" SONG? Opportunity missed is opportunity lost.

January 12, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  25. Hookapooka

"Come out' with some more music and forget about telling people you business! Thespians and musicians are from a different planet!Come do a live shot of my ass and play connect the dots with the freckles on it!Now that's news!!

January 12, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  26. johnny gonzalez

Chely, you did the right thing and I'm sure you have plenty of people who love and support you. The best way to rise above the haters is to continue with your work and become even more successful. I can't wait for your next hit.

January 12, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  27. Oh Please

E) according to wikipedia, the combined sales of your last 8 albums is just over one million. God I hope you kept the day job

January 12, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  28. Oh Please

D) I don't care how or with whom you achieve orgasm

January 12, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  29. John

Yes you're album sales are "cut in half" because you're gay. Yawn. Maybe it's because your songs sucked. Excuse me but I'm going to listen to Queen and Elton John. Their songs don't suck.

January 12, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  30. Oh Please

A) what the hell did you expect, working in a genre that DEMANDS bigotry and stupidity of its listeners? B) Heard you on Mama; you're talentless C) new album coming out?

January 12, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  31. Tiffany Hines

You people are nutty. First off I'm a Black woman in my twenties and I love country music. Most young people are less racist and rarely care about someone being gay. Whatever their race. Also Ms. Wright was NEVER a great country singer. I've been listening to country music since I was 12 and I barely remember her songs. They were just ok. And btw I know people that chose to be gay. And if I have to prove being gay is a choice you have to prove people are born that way. There are lots of theories out there but there is NO proof that people are born gay.

January 12, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  32. Angelique

people should mind his/her own business, especially ignorant people. So she is gay but she still sings the same and feels the same. people are so judgemental. Do not judge others for your stupidity!!!!! she has aright to be loved too

January 12, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  33. mom of an angel

Why the harsh judgment? To those passing judgment on this young woman, are your lives that spiteful that you feel its necessary to play "judge and jury" just because she's a celebrity? Jealousy is an ugly mask. I say jealousy because you are annoyed that your name isn't in the news like Ms. Wrights. Get over yourselves already.

January 12, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  34. Hehehe

Oh so your "coming out" didn't accomplish your goal of jump starting your career?

January 12, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  35. Sam John

Dbro is right don't judge let everyone live the way he or she want's to live.

January 12, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  36. marlin

What is the matter did my post have to much truth? U post all these other hogwashed comments

January 12, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  37. danny

I guess she did not get enough attention when she first came out so we get to hear about her poor pitiful self again.

January 12, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  38. d bro

This is what is wrong with the world. Everyone feels they have a right to judge. Stop putting labels on people and just start treating each other as human beings and we would all be better for it.

January 12, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  39. d bro

This is what is wrong witht he world. Everyone feels they have a right to judge. Stop putting labels on people and just start treating each other as human beings and we would all be better for it.

January 12, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  40. Sam John

Every have his way to live but my advice is that don't put gun in ur mouth again just follow the right path.

January 12, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  41. Bel

Open your minds, World. It's not a choice. Love your courage. Ignorance is easy but truth takes willpower.

January 12, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  42. Yankee

There is no need to "come out" – your friends and family know, your fans suspect and, quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn. Just carry on with your life, it certainly won't affect me, sing your songs, hug your family and friends and be happy. Keep on keepin the negative out because I certainly won't seek you out to see what a lesbian "looks like." Each day is a blessing, treat it as such.

January 12, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  43. Ryan

Now that's an inspiring story about someone overcoming religious tyrrany and surviving the incredible harm religion does.

January 12, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  44. Rattima

Empty

Girl, i swear

I’m never going through this again

I know that you thought you’d win

and before I’ll give you another try

I’d die

* Love won’t make you cry or ask why

ohh why

Oh, i deny my heart coz i won’t live a lie

why you try

** Your heart is empty and you’re so cold

‘Coz you don’t care ’bout you and I

Your heart is empty you won’t let go

But I’m walkin out this life

Why don’t you let it go, let it go, let it go, let it go

Girl, because your heart is empty

Why don’t you let it go, let it go, let it go, let it go

Girl, because your heart is empty

There you go

Tryna tell me how to be a man

When there’re something you just don’t understand

It’s time to bring your truth to light

no lie
    */**

Your heart is gone, my heart is strong

leave me alone, leave me alone

your heart is gone, my heart is strong

leave me alone, leave me alone

January 12, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  45. Alright

In the end, what do you reallly have? Your material goods??? Nope. The "free world" takes your assets and taxes the crap out of them. What do you want to say to the ultimate diety? "I had a great life, I had __________________posessions." That's. Not a life. That's ownership. A life is measured by the people you love, who love you, remember you, and all the lives you touch. Other than that, who are you to say what is okay for someone elses happiness?? Is your life that great? Go ahead, throw the first stoner and see how long it takes before your glass house gets shattered into uncountable pieces.

January 12, 2011 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  46. steve

First and last CNN comment ever.... Yall that actually post comments on CNN are true losers

January 12, 2011 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  47. jenn demoss

i listen to country but i do not recall hearing of chely. either way that does not matter i am a lesbian and proud of it. i think that this young woman has enormous strength and willpower to come out of the closet in such a public way. i came out of the closet to my family while i served in the military. its hard trying to fight who you are compared to what everyone expects from you.you go girl you deserve mad respect.

January 12, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  48. obama hater

No one really cares about the gays. If theyre gay, so be it. Seeing people being openly gay in public,however, is quite disgusting and shouldnt be allowed. Who wants to see two guys kissing? When i see that, I wanna start swingin fists

January 12, 2011 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
    • JT

Let's go.

January 12, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Ashke

Obama Hater: an appointment has been made for you at the ASPCA to be steralized and stop the bloodline, please do us all a favor and see to it that you never breed......

January 12, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  49. izzy

her record sales went down by half cause no one listens to her! no one gives a damn... nothing but trying to get more attention when she didn't even have much to start! girl has more issues then hiding who she is. also i bet she didn't get any threats just piling on the bullcrap for attention.

January 12, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  50. conrad

Yall r pathetic. She is great and im glad she is still here to talk about it. Sometimes I wish we didnt have the luxury of free speech – yall couldnt bash them. Urg I really hate u hipacrites.

January 12, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  51. Pie Hole

All this talk of pie is making me hungry for a middle of the night snack.

January 12, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  52. Marco555

She wants to make a career out of being gay? Let her.

January 12, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  53. wakeupcall

hilarious career moves... Intended For the increasingly and truly gay nascar pick up truck evangelical fanatics.

January 12, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  54. Me in tx

There's only one person WE must all answer to one day on judgement day. So who are we to judge especially if we have children. When looking @ da speck in sum1 elses eye look @ the log in yours. For all those who judged and posted mean and cruel comments,you will have your judgement day!!

January 12, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  55. strength

Don't worry about the thoughts of others. Good for you! Coming out of the closet was a brave move. God bless you. keep your head held high and forget about the negative and embrace the positive.

January 12, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  56. Sarah in Texas

I admire and respect people who stand up for who they are even when it's hard. Losing income, potentially losing friends or family, and losing security are huge sacrifices to make in order to be able to hold your head high and be proud of who you are. Thank you, Chely Wright, for being a shining example to anyone who may be struggling or suffering in their own life. Especially in light of all the torment our gay youth endure, we need more role models such as yourself to give some strength and hope to these young people. Thank you.

January 12, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  57. AwesomeTime

I like cheesecake.

January 12, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  58. Chicago Kid

The argument that no one would choose to be gay because of discrimination, humiliation, etc. does not hold water. People do all kinds of things to stand out & be different so that they get attention. Facial tattoos & piercings, brightly dyed hair, obscene t-shirts, cars with crazy bumper stickers. Why would anyone "choose" to bring negative attention to themself in these ways? Maybe they want to shock people and to be the center of attention. Selfishness.

January 11, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  59. LP

Interesting that she says her record sales have been cut in half...I haven't heard of her releasing a record in YEARS. The fact that she would have ANY record sales would be quite amazing, since as far as I can tell she hasn't had a record deal in a good while. Anyways, what a tragic story. Better days to you Chely.

January 11, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Hypocrites

I remember several years ago, Garth Brooks admitting to cheating on his first wife Sandy in an interview. The article was about how Sandy and Garth's love overcame his adultery. (There was a lot of speculation that it was with Trisha Yearwood because she was in his band). And amazingly the country music scene did not reject him when he broke one of those big 10 commandments. Just amazes me how some folks get their underwear all twisted about gays when adultery is so freaking rampant.

January 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Support LGBT!

Support LGBT!
    Hey guys! We have completed our HUGE overhaul of the Personals sections. Now with erotic services, M4M W4W and much much more, http://www.rainbowpages.ca/personals are available in all Major Canadian Cities! twitter @rainbowpagesca

January 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  62. bobbo62

The biggest problem with bigoted rednecks is that they don't have the ability to change. They love their dysfunction; pro-gun, anti-lesbian, anti-freedom of speech. Hang in there, Chely. The Dixie Chicks survived their debacle. I hope you will too. This goes beyond country music. Of course I'm sure the christian conservatives will try to put their worthless 2 cents in too. They're as bad as the rednecks. Live and let live.

January 11, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  63. walker

country music fans, wiill hold this against her,its the nature of people who buy country lp's....been that way for ever..
    she will either cross over or she is through....

January 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Country Fan

Glad that she didn't pull the trigger. Such a beautiful lady! Who can imagine the pain and suffering she had! Like somne say, when are at the bottom the only way out is up! Love her songs, specially "It Was".

January 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  65. mike

Her record sales went down 50%. Well when her audience is 100% redneck, the most tolerant of all groups, then what did she expect. The truth is she should be happy that the other 50% are illiterate otherwise she would have no fans at all. In any case, she doesnt need them.

January 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Not Surprised

Not surprised, Country music lovers seem to be like that... Good Old Boy mentality.. come out get death threats,... call the president out .. get death threats , burn CD's ... well unless it's a Black President .. then it ok.

January 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  67. zivo24

To those know it all morons who think that being gay is a choice....I give you a challenge.

PROOVE IT!

How?

By becoming gay.

According to you it's just a matter of deciding that you're going to be gay...so it should be easy for you.

I have presented this challenge to probably hundreds of people who think they know better what is in someone else's heart and head than they do...but I have yet to have even one take me up on it.

Because they know that they're full of crap.

To Chely Wright...stay strong...you are a beautiful and formidable woman.

January 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  68. what

i listen to country 24.7.... who the hell is Chely Wright?? lol

January 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Mary

Who??

January 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Alert U

Country music is not about music. It is a culture, an obscure rhyming and rhythm which serves to unite a portion of Americans who happens to exist in large numbers. It helps to glue such elements as the Tea Party together. Every country and western song sounds the same and has been this way for seventy five years or so, since its inception. In this music; the singers always sound like they are solemn and crying, but also are very happy about being so. It is so depressing to listen too if one is not of that mindset and culture. Look at the Dixie Chicks; they were tanked because of going outside the politics of this group.
    I will like to encourage this lady to get together with Lady Gaga and move her sorry life on.

January 11, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. DanW

Redneck Taliban. What next?

January 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  72. jonbrn

hottest real lesbian I've ever seen. wish I were not a man and were her woman.

January 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Mugsy

I would love a chance to convert her...That is a beautiful woman.

January 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. marie

don't worry about what anyone thinks. you are your ouw person. no one pays your bills so no one has the right to put you down. i am a 58 year old mother and grandmother and don't believe in judging anyone. people need to live their own lives and quit being so judgemental. GOD bless you

January 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Me

I guess she wasn't "Looking for a man like you"! Oh well! She's still a great singer no matter what!! Chely, YOU ROCK!!

January 11, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  76. chely w

career is fading away..just trying to get attention...what a whiner

January 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Rae-lei Bonin

Just because she is lesbian, doesn't mean that she is different. I know someone in my family that is lesbian and guess what.. I love her anyway. Just because some of us are not gay or lesbian does not mean that we have that right to make fun of people that are. Because that is not right of us as human beings it is just like making fun of peoples color. That is not right. Just because they are black or white . Most of us dont judge like that but if you then somethings wrong with that but in my opinion someone that is gay or lesbian and they are happy that is all I care about. Please don't treat them different. It hurts. And anybody that is gay or lesbian.. I am here to tell you that dOnt be afraid of people. Making fun of you. I won't I promise and I promise I will pass on the messAge ..... Rae -lei Bonin

January 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Glenda

im so proud of Chely Wright for finally acceptin who she is and takin a stand. it was35 yrs ago i wasnt happy untill i finally accepted who i was and have been happier since. by the way can you tell me where i can get her book and CD. hang in there Chely, there is alot of us backin ya up.

January 11, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  79. rose_of_texas

she says her sales went down by half. really? i dont remember the last time any of her two songs were played on the radio nor do i remember her as a GREAT country artist. i think shes using this to her advantage, like to stay in the headlines. everyone's been talked about in their life time. you know what i do? move the f*** on.

January 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  80. cillian1977

Why does anyone give a crap if someone famous is gay? I don't care if anyone is gay, bi, tri, into animals, whatever....if they make great music or are a great actor, I'm all for them!

January 11, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  81. VMJ

Just a quick comment: just to play the devils advocate....We are all still waiting for that irrefutable scientific evidence that says a person is born gay (gay gene).

As much as I hate saying this, the girls not gay. This is an attempt to get her career going again. Its business, cant fault her for that.

And speaking of coming out, I have spoken to numerous gay individuals and they all agree that there has never been a better time in our history to come out of the closet. Right now, gay is good. And the so called GF, wasnt a GF, it was a BF that cheated on her.

January 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Kallen

It is completely ignorant for someone to say that it is a choice to be gay. People that "come out" are looking for a way to get attention especially celebs. Being gay has become the "cool thing to do". People choose to be gay so they can play the pity card and have people feel sorry for them.

January 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • lleila

wow. the immensity of your ignorance is incredible. too bad for you.

January 11, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • McCain-in-4

Walk a mile in her shoes before passing judgement, toots.

January 12, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Ashke

Wow Kallen obviously your parents and your school system clearly failed you, so if being gay was a "choice" then I take it you choose on a daily basis to not only be ignorant but to show the world the level of your ignorance? Amazes me how people don't like that which is different from themselves......I pity you

January 12, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  83. Bes

Very brave lady I hate country music...but I think i might like this brave woman's music. I'm straight and you can count on me to buy your next album. I'm a social worker and if you saved one young person from doing harm to themselves, god bless you!!!!!

January 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Tm8

I live in Nashville, I still love and support her. I also realized yesterday while having a conversation with someone way less opened minded and carefree than myself, that some people are messed up in the head and really will take time out of their day to send other people death threats. It's ridiculous, and pitiful to want to make someone else's life worse because you aren't happy about itl wack jobs... I love Nashville, but the record/radio industry here is bogus, outdated, and superficial. And to appeal to all their white trash clientele, I'm sure they dropped her as soon as they heard she may be gay...

January 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  85. lolasmama

January 11, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • interesting thought

"I just don't understand why we need to know the "truth". I think some things should remain private. I say live your life as you see fit...just don't tell me about it. IT IS YOUR BUSINESS."

Interesting thought lolasmama. Oh wait your username tells me part of YOUR private life....that you are lolas mama...why are you sharing part of your private life with us if you feel that people should live their lives as they see fit and not tell others about it?

It's human nature to be gregarious and share with others just as you have demonstrated with your username.

January 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Devon

Why doesn"t the American Taliban let people live their lives in peace and freedom?

January 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Shawn

Reason number 5,422,214 why American conservatives are the dumbest people on Earth. Pathetic.

January 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Newyorker

She's going to have to cross over to the pop charts to have a career in music. Just ask the Dixie Chicks.

January 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  89. shawn

This is no surprise. America's lunatic right-wing monsters are violent extremists and terrorists, and believe everybody who isn't exactly like them should be killed.

January 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Peter Pulanski

I love how everyone on here comments but the comments are hidden behind fake names and words. What about putting your full name and being real? I dare one person to write their entire full name and post a comment such as these horrible ones. The woman took something personal, talked about her story and it helped her make sense of it. That is hard to admit. I wish her well. And to all the ignorant people on here, I feel sorry for you. The world would be alot better if people were kind and thoughtful towards each other, not filled with a bunch of losers who say horrible things on articles such as these.

January 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael T Shaw of San Antonio

Chely Wright is a musical failure who is using her alternative lifestyle to put herself in the spotlight and advance her career. I find it counter productive of what she says she is trying to do. If she was an earnest and genuine person she would've come out quietly to her family and friends with no grand announcement in people magazine or US weekly. The fact that her music sucks is why her album sales are in the tank, not because she is gay. We need to give the American people more credit than this. C'mon these days Elton John and Eminem hang out.

January 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  91. celia jo hernandez

what is the big deal..so she came out of the closet..she is as big a "one hit wonder" as Billy Ray..so who really cares..it amazes me how full of herself she really is worrying so about Brad Paisley and wondering if he ever got over their break-up...WORD-UP honey..he is happily married w/two beautiful sons..so I'm sure he had no trouble getting over a late but self absorbed lesbian like yourself and I also agree w/whoever said that you have a lot more issues than lesbianism when you put a gun barrel in your mouth..see a shrink!!!!

January 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  92. freddy

Chely is a wonderful vocalist and person. She had a couple top 10 hits and then Nashville put thier money in Talent that is still not so talented but Youthful as to teenie boppers. nashville only cares about teenagers and how they spend thier money on music. Make country seem like pop instead and the market gets HUGE! anyway.. chely was also voted most beautiful person in People magazine as well. And she is.

January 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  93. MitchIt

To those writing all the nasty comments and such, can't people just live their life as they please? What is it to you or anyone else? If they are gay, who cares? Should we begin judging you because you are ugly, fat, or that you have green eyes or that you have blonde hair etc???? Who cares what others do with their personal life. When you become 100% perfect (which you aren't before you write that you are), then you can start to judge others. Until then, go look in the mirror and judge yourself because you need work.

January 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Molly

I second this! stop worrying about her life or discriminating about her being gay. theres nothing wrong with that! ppl like you all are why this world is so ugly.

January 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  94. RandyZ

Never heard of her, but people have to learn to live with the decisions they make in life.

January 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Pam811

Shocking, something a neocon doesn't like, just kill it. I

January 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Neocon? Really? Such a bold blanket statement to make when you know nothing (obviously) of conservatives except those that make headlines.
      Much like the neocons calling all peole like you Socialists huh?
      If that's you're thinking then I guess you must be a Socialist, or worse yet a Communist. Don't hide from the label if those are your true feelings.

January 11, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Gary

I think it sucks that her record sales are down by half since she came out. That said, she now has a fanbase that, like k.d. lang and Melissa Etheridge, will buy just about anything she puts out regardless if she has any future hits or not.

Good for her for coming out–and you people who think that being gay "is a choice," you're delusional. It's as genetic as eye color, skin color or gender. Get over yourselves.

January 11, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Liz the First

Do all of you 'it's a choice' types really think that if you woke him up at 3:00 in the morning, Barney Frank would talk like Dick Butkis till he remembered he's gay??? there is a host of scientific proof of the physiological differences between straight and gay individuals. does anyone in their right mind believe someone could choose to have a structure in their brain be bigger than someone else's??? i applaud Chely for her courage and honesty. shame on the morons who are condemning her!

January 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Tim

Dixie Chicks, Cheyl, etc. When country people come out as not typical rednecks the rednecks want to kill them. How many death threats did Toby Kieth get? I love country music, but their fans keep me away from calling myself a fan.

January 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • riley

Their is a difference between Country people and Rednecks..please do not confuse the two. Country people are just down to earth, like to dress up some, love alot, hate little, respectful, have high standards: say yes mam, no mam, holds the door open, respects women, doesn't mind working hard. etc. Some country people like to hunt, for the relaxation, combined with the being able to eat the meat. Rednecks well, they may have some respect to "country" ways but they are usually loud, heavy drinking, obnoxious, cursing every other word. They may hold the door open just to see your "backside". They just hunt to see who can kill the biggest animal etc for bragging rights. So please, do not confuse the two. I am country and proud of it.

January 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • DanW

OK, Nashville Taliban then.

January 11, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jen

So sad...

January 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  100. adfa

creeeeeepyyyyy who would do that

January 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Jackofalltrades

This is yet another attempt by this lady to revitalize a once strong career by martyring herself out to the media. If you want to hear some Chelly Wright go to walmart in some hick town and look in the $1.99 bin. Thanks to her being such a sefl indulgent narcissist poor little Kenny Chesney will never come out of the closet. And Fyi Brad Paisley is gay too he and Chely used to date.

January 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

BRAD PAISLEY IS NOT GAY! But seriously, why would you even think that?

January 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • yo mamma is whack

Brad P IS gay...

January 11, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackofalltrades

Its true its damn true. Brad P and Kenny Chesney mess around on the weekends. Brad has children with his wife but they are via artificial insemination. Trust me i'm in the Biz this stuff gets around.

January 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Hannah

Chely was pretty big in country music until about five years ago. I saw her at a music festival in 2006 and she was talking about how she'd had a rough time and she seemed really down, but her new music was phenomenal.

January 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  103. ItGetsBetter

January 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  104. TMade

January 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  105. BravesGal

Chely, Chely, Chely... no one has listened to your music since 1995(no, she is not nor has she ever been big in country music), dear. I'm glad you are trying to get your name out there again, but please do it by making decent music and not by making yourself your own cause celebre.

January 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  106. LoJenk

January 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Latch

Yep, lots of informed comments here today.

January 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Mikey

When I see Cherly Wright I see any girl that I've dated or a buddy's ex and that is: OCD, neurotic, and ADHD all wrap up in one. She reminds me of so many women I've been on a date with such as the constant whining-princess mentality, obsessiveness with being "clean", cannot stop talking about themselves, cannot stay on a conversation without changing subjects, blah, blah, blah. And you never know where their heart or mind is because it changes every day. These girls are nightmares to date.

January 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkBronzePlant

Holy cow, someone's got some issues to work through (and I'm not talking about Chely...)

January 11, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • steph in seattle

Actually, she is very, very nice and humble. A very normal, very sweet person. I know. I met her at an event in SF and my wife has interviewed her a couple of times. Maybe your the crazy one.

January 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Well, you won't have to worry about dating her... SHE'S GAY!

January 11, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

You get all this from reading a few paragraphs about her?

January 11, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • aleppo1091

ROFL. Y'know... if being gay *was* a choice, I would opt in to avoid dates like you! With my regrets to gay men who might accidentally end up beside you in a movie or restaurant.

January 11, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack7521

Gee, Mikey, the only constant in all of your bad relationships and dates is you. Might want to look in the mirror once in a while.

January 11, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superguest82

Mickey, you might have better luck with women if you stop dating lesbians

January 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  109. diddy

these celebrities all make me sick every step they take just displays their complete self absorbance.

January 11, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • logicality

And yet you use for your user name one of the most arrogant, self-absorbed celebrities ever.... ironic...

January 11, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  110. yadi

Being gay is not a choice. You've been born with it but it's up to the person on how to deal with those feelings. Every choice we make in life has it's repercussions: from what color of blouse to wear, which college to go, to stay in the closet or not, etc. As long as we are aware of your decisions and make them with an honest heart then there's nothing to fear.

January 11, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

That's hilarious! If "everything" must be a choice (or nothing is! How dramatic!!) I guess I should have chosen *not* to be short.

January 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • yada yada

I will choose to be millioner....

January 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  111. LBW

Hating a person because of their preferences is just wrong. She is hurting no one.

January 11, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  112. onlyone

I love Chely, always have and always will. I am proud of her for being who she is and not worrying about the ignorance that is out in the world. I loved her book and her new CD, I felt it was a great testiment to who she is as a person and that is what matters. You are so much more than just a lesbian, you are also classy, loving, a writer, a singer, a sister, and a daughter. Little by little it is changing and one day everyone will be accepted for who they are not what everyone else wants them to be. I am so tired of other people's religion being pushed at everyone else.

January 11, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Jam

that was so lovely, well said man

January 11, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Niclas

Well, I am religious myself and I do not shove my religion in anyone's throat. I'm also happy for Chely for being proud of who she is. She seems to be a great individual and I wish her the very best. Not a huge country music fan but I'll check out her music too. Good luck Chely!

January 12, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  113. alm

NANCY: you are ignorant. being gay is not a choice. why would gay people commit suicide and endure horrid bullying if they could just unCHOOSE being gay and "choose" to be straight? it doesn't work like that open your eyes before you pass judgements on others.

January 11, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Albert911emt

If being gay was a choice, then why would anyone choose it? Why put yourself through the humiliation, the death threats, the loss of friends, if in fact it was a choice? Really, you fundies are so dumb. No one would choose to go through such abuse if being gay was a choice. Wise up.

January 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • people make bad choices all the time

terrible logic

January 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • hope120

Alm I could not have said it better

January 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

This can be blamed on the church, obviously and clearly. That's why atheism is growing day by day until one day, the church will be about as significant and influential as the local, printed newspaper. They're great for wrapping items for storage, when relocating a household, or lining a bird cage. When the newspapers run out, you can easily use pages from the Holy Bible, but you'd better double or triple up cause there very thin, just like the logic and the messages contained thereon...

January 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

That's like saying you're born a drug addict or an alcoholic because who would choose that life style? It's a choice, otherwise you're calling God a lier. We are not supposed to judge, we are simply supposed to acknowledge the truth, love the person, and pray for them.

January 12, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan A - Florida

I am going to go ahead and call God a "liar" and you illiterate Jen. Have a nice life full of judgement and hate.

January 12, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • coach

Um Ryan, you label a person as "illiterate" based on one misspelled word and then deride her for being full of judgment and hate. No judgment and hate in your post at all, I guess.

January 12, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • the true

Being gay or not is a personal decision. Not matter what other people said. When you born the dr said is a boy or girl not gay and is not sicence dna evidence that you born gay so she decided to be gay like she decide not to kill herself. You learn to be inmoral like you learn to be moral. You decide what you want to do with your life.

January 12, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • scroo yoo

Even if being gay was a choice,what business is it of anyone what consenting adults do between themselves?

choice or not,someone has much more of a right to be gay than i do to criticize how they choose to live.

Too bad other people dont get that

January 12, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Ashke

@"the tru & Jen" clearly you both live a sheltered and narrow minded life, if being gay was a choice then why did you "choose" to be straight? Grow up it's not like drug addiction or illness or choice, we are who we were born to be and if you can't see past your own prejudices and condemnations then I feel sorry for your children that you may have or will have because their parents will impart their ignorance into them. Sad world we live in as everyone judges and condems everyone else. My sympathies on your narrow minded upbringings.......

January 12, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Jen

I'm not judging anyone, I know several gay people I care about, but it doesn't mean I support their choice in lifestyle, and they respect me as much as I respect them. I don't judge people's faults because 1. Were not supposed to and 2. I have many of my own. As Christians, we're supposed to stand for what's right without passing judgement, love others, and pray for them. I don't feel bad or ignorant for what I stand for.

January 12, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Ashke

Yet what you posted is judgement Jen, good for you that you car about the gay people you know they must feel special to be included in your bubble. You passed judgement when you said you dont judge one's faults, funny how a Christian can quote their "lifestyle choice" handbook known as the bible but fail to see the beyond the printed words

January 12, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jen

I'm not judging anything. I'm simply spreading the message, if God says it's wrong, then it's wrong. HE makes the judgement, we're just the messengers. Just because we're supposed to love everyone doesn't mean we're supposed to also pretend that something that is wrong is right. God Bless you, and have a nice day!

January 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Nicole

HA! I love "wait what?"s comment... This is very sad and it's unfair that the public scrutinizes celebrities for being gay... But who is Chely Wright??

January 11, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

I GUESS SHE A BIG DEAL IN THE COUNTRY WORLD BUT NOT SO BIG BECUASE THEY DIDNT CAST HER IN COUNTRY STRONG

January 11, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Life

cheefsfury: She was never "a big deal in country" she had a couple of songs out, none of which were that great. Thats about as far as she went...and I have been a country music fan my whole life. Maybe her biggest fans were upset, but by the time she came out I had forgotten about her. I just assumed her coming out was her way of getting herself back in the news and back on the radio....some people will do anything to get attetion back. Whether she is truly gay or not I do not care at all and I don't know anyone else who cares either...

January 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • tubal22

I have a feeling that her "coming out" had a lot more to do with her wanting to be relevant again, and little to do with her feeling pressure.

I live in Utah, heart of the "OMG they're gay?" land. Being gay isn't that big of deal anymore.

Get over yourself and either make some good music or find something else to do with your life.

January 12, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Sharp

You must be in a closet yourself!....I bet you get into that hip hop stuff!!!! Nice future you got going girl!!!!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  115. WaitWhat?

The same reason you CHOSE to be an idiot.

January 11, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  116. Greg Conner

Why do you CHOOSE to be an ignorant b****? I guess you were just born that way.

January 11, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  117. Mike, TX

Oh Nancy Nancy Nancy.... Come out of your ignorant closet honey.... I met Chely Wright in Dallas at an LGBT Fundraiser; her story was an incredible one.

January 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Dave

I agree. She put a 9mm in her mouth? There is much more to her neurosis that simply being a lesbian. She needs a pshychologist to determine the root-cause of her problems because going to that step in having a gun in your mouth is nothing about being gay, straight, or anything. She's messed up.

I also agree with "diddy" comments about celebrities being self-absorbed. Celeb ego's are perpetuated by constant admiration through the press and I think that a lot of them look for reasonings to do weird things such as "come out" when in fact, it's an ego thing.

January 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  119. threeway

see, this is the quality that I look for in a blog

well written, made me smile

January 11, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  120. ML

There are no words to properly describe your level of ignorance and intolerance. You're what's wrong with the world today.

January 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  121. intolerance

I resemble that

and? so my level is what is wrong...? I am still enjoying the world and you should lighten up; oh, yeah, you would just find something else to be bothersome about; might as well be this famous person

good luck with your meaningless life

January 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  122. ML

Right back at you, you hateful sub-human.

January 11, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  123. sub-human

now I feel better, I think we connected on a deeply important personal level

January 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Guest

Then shut your piehole and leave.

January 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Mike

Thank you guest for saying what needs to be said.

January 11, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  126. idiot

just as being gay is not a choice, so is my being an idiot

sadly... it is my lot in life, SNIFF SNIFF (crying a little)

January 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Barbara

Roger....you are just another turd in life. Someone needs to get a pooper scoopers and rid us of your presence.precencse

January 11, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Jennifer

Fred Phelps, is that you? Don't you have a 9-year old's funeral in Tucson to picket?

January 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Kallen

really... thats disgusting.

January 11, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Angel

Wow what a funny idiot you are

January 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  131. say wha

Jennifer, you are a insensitive ass; guess that's why you don't have many friends...so sad!

January 11, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  132. how about you and Mike leave

and leave my pie hole alone

January 11, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Mike

Mike thank you for being another turd that needs to be flushed

January 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Mike and Guest

Mike and Guest thank you for being another turd that needs to be flushed

January 11, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  135. JT

This crap and $1.50 will get you a bottle of soda.

January 12, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |