'DWTS' Maksim to be Ukraine's first 'Bachelor'
January 10th, 2011

'DWTS' Maksim to be Ukraine's first 'Bachelor'

Get ready ladies: It's going to cost you some airline miles if you would like the chance to capture the heart of "Dancing With the Stars" dancer Maksim Chmerkovskiy.

The Latin ballroom dance champion is looking for love and has agreed to appear on "The Bachelor"...in Ukraine.

Chmerkovskiy, who had previously been engaged to fellow "DWTS" dancer Karina Smirnoff, announced on his blog that he has agreed to appear in his homeland's version of the popular ABC dating series for a variety of reasons, including the opportunity to give back to his native country.

"My family and I left when I was very young," he wrote on his blog. "And to have made something of myself, to come back here as a person who is looked up to is an amazing feeling."

The dancer says he has previously turned down an offer to appear on the U.S. version of the show, which matches a single man with a bevy of women who vie for his attention in the hopes of being awarded the final rose and, in some cases, an engagement ring. His refusal should not be taken as a reflection of his feelings for American women, he said.

"The fact that I've turned down the American version has NOTHING to do with my 'dislike' of American women. (The statement is so absurd that I can't believe I'm even dignifying it with a reply)," he wrote on his blog.

Chmerkovskiy also said that he believes the first season of such a show would be the most realistic.

"The idea that I would find 'the one' on a TV show is something that I can't ever fathom," he said. "But after speaking to producers, I have realized that a show where characters are doing it solely for TV exposure simply would not work. Our audience would not understand it and the show would be a disaster. There has never been a show such as this in Ukraine."

1. labrado supercharge vs xtremeno

Woah this blog is excellent i really like reading your articles. Stay up the good paintings! You know, lots of people are hunting round for this info, you can help them greatly.

April 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. anonymous

Many sources reported this before. Wish him good luck.

January 12, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Candy

Love Maks...I love the bachelor...I am now trying to figure out how I will be able to watch this is the states. I have been to Ukraine 2 times and will go again this summer. Have great friends there. I am spreading the word that Maks is the new bachelor there. Good luck.

January 12, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. Anonymous

MIght work if he wan't gay!

January 10, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rh

Interesting thing is that the Ukraine tends to like the blond pale types, and if they randomly select chicks from the whole country, you'll get a spectrum of skin tones and hair colors.

He looks very Gypsy or Tatar, so it will be interesting if the women see past what that means to some Ukrainians...

January 10, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ricky Ricardo

I seriously doubt women in the Ukraine have different motives for being on a TV show like "The Bachelor." Let's get real! All the women want is exposure, and, we all know: girls just wanna have fun ♪.

January 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wendy

I love Maks on DWTS!! I thought him and Erin were together! Guess not!! Darn it!

January 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chuck

Maybe just maybe he will stay there. I have never seen a semi-personality love the camera more than him. Can't take an interview without talking to the camera rather then the one interviewing him. Personally don't see what is so fine about this cha cha queen.

January 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Slia

Ouch....Damn Sheryl

January 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sheryl

Go luck Maks...hopefully your ego doesn't get in the way. Learn to put together a free style and you might actually win one of these seasons.

January 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |