Baz Luhrmann considering 3-D 'Great Gatsby'
January 10th, 2011

Baz Luhrmann considering 3-D 'Great Gatsby'

The fascination with 3-D continues as Baz Luhrmann considers using the technology to update a classic.

The famed director told The Hollywood Reporter that he has workshopped his upcoming project "The Great Gatsby" in the format, but has yet to decide if he will film it in 3-D. He made the comments during a panel discussion held at last week's Consumer Electronics Show where he joined fellow directors Oliver Stone and Michael Mann in discussing the advantages of the Blu-ray format.

“The power of Blu-ray is so great, you have to be a bit conscious about misusing it,” Luhrmann said.

During the panel discussions, the group showed Blu-ray clips from Luhrmann’s acclaimed films "Moulin Rouge" and "Romeo & Juliet,";  Stone’s "Wall Street" and the sequel "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" as well as Mann’s "The Last of the Mohicans."

Stone said directors shouldn't take the use of 3-D lightly.

“Don’t shoot a 3-D movie unless you can afford it, otherwise you are putting yourself under enormous pressure," he said.

1. Htown rox

Actually, isn't this going to be the second remake? I thoroughly enjoyed Scorsese's version a few years back with Vinnie Chase.

January 12, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Crazy Waiter

I usually hate 3D but it looks better if you see it on an IMAX screen in my opinion.

January 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ryan A - Florida

I really can't understand what is with all of the 3-D haters on this thread...I mean really, this is no different than the days that color invaded the black and white movies of old. All that 3-D does, is allow us to see a movie, or a TV show, in the very same way that we view real life everyday...3 Demensionally. The only reason that I can see for there to be any objections at all, is that people are just inherently adverse to change, whether it is an improvement or not. There are too many of the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" crowd running around these days...change is inevitable, change is good, and change is going to happen whether you agree with it or not.

January 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. die die

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

January 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. VeeZee

Add some car chases, robots, spaceships, explosions and hot chicks in it and it will then be 3D worthy!

January 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Martin

3D? They never should remake this classic, period.

Leave well enough alone. Sick and tired of all the remakes of great classic movies. They never should have remade True Grit. REALLY, REALLY hope that they don't remake "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Spartacus".

January 11, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Charles McGann. L

Now y did you control a Va state bird on a wing down

January 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Karen

Would love to see it, but definitely NOT in 3-D. Save the 3-D for the kid and action movies!

January 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. george

F Scott Fitzgerald is an American tresure, he disliked Hollywood but wrote some screenplays to support his lavish lifestyle, the first movie version of The Great Gadsby sucked, why would the 2nd be any different.

January 11, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lyra

This is disappointing to me, although I think 3D is great for some movies, I don't see this as one of them. Personally, I'd rather see this in 2D but really well done, rather than shot in 3D with an obviously limited budget.

January 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Farris

Mike? I just have one question for you. WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING AND WHY AREN'T YOU SHARING?!!?

January 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. STLBroker

I can understand some folks being resistant to the classics being tampered with. I prefer to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" in black and white even though they colorized it.

However, this is a new version of the book. They aren't converting the original movie to 3D which would be very cheesy. 3D is much more asthetically pleasing than 2D whether it is an action movie or not. Things don't have to fly out of the screen for me to appreciate it. The sense of depth alone is worth it to me.

I personally want all movies going forward to have a 3D version. For those that don't prefer a picture with depth, you can watch the 2D version. I'm sure many folks refused to go see those new fangled color movies initially too.

January 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phearis

Remake The Great Gatsby??? WTH?!?! Dose nobody in Hollywood have a fricken original thought anymore???

January 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Greg

You all all wrong. There is only one person in Hollywood who hasn't forgotten how to tell a great story. I'll give u a hint: Shindlers List.

January 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mike

It's impossible for me to take a 3D film seriously. It makes a film seem cheesy and stupid. Could anyone imagine a 3D version of The Godfather or Citizen Kane......

January 11, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. C

Ok, first of all this movie doesn't need a remake. Secondly 3D isn't needed far anything outside of Sci-fi, action, adventure, fantasy and Children's movies; dramas, comedies, romance and other such movie have no need for 3D. Lastly, poeple don't want to see everything in 3D. When will Hollywood learn this? I like a 3D movie every once in awhile, seriously I think I've seen one movie in the last year in 3D and that was enough.

January 11, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. wjk

I am sick and tired of the next iteration of technology... Beta, VHS, DVD, Blue Ray, 3D.... just stop, it is good enough at DVD. Don't you see that? I just got blueray... now the movies cost $30. Well I just don't by them unless they are on sale for less than $20...

January 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. heycarrieann

Dear God NO!

January 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. citizenUSA

Moronic idea #1- Re-making The Great Gatsby.

Moronic idea #2- Making it in 3-D.

January 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. susan

Not everything needs to be made in 3D. I can't imagine anything in the Great Gatsby that needs to be in 3D – not even if you get Robert Redford to play Gatsby and Mia Farrow to play Daisy again.

January 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. adibese

3d is the future. Every show could benefit. Imagine feeling like you're in the court room with Atticus... the toll booth where Sonny is shot... etc. As long as 3d is done well, with purpose, it can be remarkable. And it shouldn't be used as a cheap effect for action objects coming at us.

January 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jimmy

I like 3D and think it has potential to open a whole new art form in movies if used wisely. The Great Gatsby would certainly be interesting in 3D if the filmmakers can refrain from the excessive "wow" factor that so many 3D films tend to use it for. It would be cool to see 3D really help bring more life to scenery, props to the point where you really feel like you are part of the movie rather than a spectator.

January 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JAK

3-D technology could be great, but it has to be the right vehicle. I can not believe a 3-D presentation would add to this story.

FYI: The Ovation cable network is showing the Redford-Farrow version this week.

January 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. SPECTACULAR

SNOOKI RULES

January 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ian

By 3-D, does he mean "A Play"?

January 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. candice

Enough with the 3-D already, and why are they remaking anything? I would think a good writer could develope a new idea or there are thousands of good books out there to draw ideas from.

January 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. AMERICA 1st

3d isnt anything spectacular

January 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ole Sport

Do we even need a remake of Gatsby, 3D or otherwise? I think the first one with Mia Farrow and Robert Redford was as good a cinematic adaptation as you can hope for.

January 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conrad Shull

Absolutely! When the movie came out I mentioned to my Am. Lit. professor how I thought it was a great adaptation, but the critics didn't think so. He said that was because the critics undoubtedly never read the book. The 3D idea is plain goofy.

January 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  29. LIL Joe

Ive tried watching 3D and it makes my stomach feel queasy. Guess it isnt for everyone. Do love the idea obout Snooki though. She is awsome.

January 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Philip H

I don't think 3D is optimal for every film, but James Cameron certainly was able to make good use of it without being gimmicky in 'Avatar,' and he has long pushed the idea that 3D could add a subtle degree of depth and intimacy to a drama. 'The Great Gatsby' seems like a pretty ideal example of that possibility, it's a period piece so the environments and look of the film could potentially a subtle layer of immersion to the film. That it's set in the real world with fairly normal types of settings doesn't mean it shouldn't be visually spectacular or ambitious, the novel is full of stirring images and iconography. Good storytelling and expensive visuals aren't mutually exclusive.

And if you hate 3D, or don't want to put up with the glasses or pay extra or whatever, there are usually 2D screenings available for major releases.

January 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Person

I'm sick and tired of the 3D gimmick. When it becomes glasses-less so I don't have to wear 2 pairs of glasses, maybe then I"ll take some interest in it.

January 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  32. annmartina

3D? I guess Michael Bay would be the right person to make it. The Great Gatsby EXPLODES onto screens in 3D!

January 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  33. palintwit

How about a compilation of Sarah Palin's most inspiring speeches in 3D ?

January 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Che Bravo

The GG in 3D? What the hell for?

January 11, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mb2010a

Jersey Shore and Snooki make me want to puke...in 3D no less.

January 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. mb2010a

Until they can come up with a 3D that doesn't require those idiot glasses I think I'll pass. What a waste of time and money.
    Just create a good movie instead...

January 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. M G M 2

I agree with the vast majority of those posting here. This would be an incredible movie to be remade into 3D. Im vwet disappointed the next Harry Potter wont be entirely in 3D but this would make up for it. I also love the idea of jersey shore members being included in the cast. Snooki is an extrordinarily talented young lady and will add class to the project.

January 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  38. sunless

some more classic http://www.supersonic.us.com

January 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Bennett Holiday

I thought Martin Scorsese already did the remake to Gatsby. Vincent Chase was the lead.

January 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Holly Golightly

wow great idea! How about the Bible in 3D? Starring Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and the Situation? I can't wait for the 3D versions of Hamlet and To Kill a Mockingbird! Yes!!!

January 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Cosmotologist To The Stars

yeah baby. pippi longstocking in 3D would rock.

January 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  42. D-Day

Let's not stop here. Let's 3-D Gone with the Wind, Roots, The Adventures of Pipi Longstocking...

January 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Yugo

Great, now Hollywood can remake a bunch of old fiicks with new technology and not have to worry about actually creating anything any more. Just keep recycling the same old crap. How about a Fllntstones remake? - Popeye would be good too. No one reads books anymore and now Hollywood can completely kill creative writers for good by hiring hacks to remake crap.

January 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Cuso

3-D movies are nasty when you put those glasses on you can smell what the person before you was eating.

January 11, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Cosmotologist To The Stars

We all have to admit it ould e a much more noteworthy and believable film if they used the entire cast of jersey shore in the leading roles. Just think of the historical magnitude it would bring to this classic. Plus with it being in 3D too. WOW. Im talking major smash hit.

January 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Eric of Reseda

NO 3D!!!! We are NOT all 7 year-old children!!! And "The Great Gatsby"?!? Are you effen kidding me?!? No wonder Hollywood has to keep raising prices to make ends meet! With decisions like this, I'm just about DONE going to the theater.

January 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Seth Hill

I can't wait for "Michael Bay's Jane Austin's Sense And Sensibility" – in 3D!

January 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  48. bmark

any movie together in 3d.

January 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  49. bmark

definitely shouldn't do gatsby 3d, there's no need. it only sells because its a different way to watch a movie. The new resident evil movie was horrible but I'm sure just because you out it on 3d doesn't make the film more enjoyable,now it makes it a crappy film in 3d and a waste of money. you can't just throw an

January 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Charles McGann. L

Like o my god she's a god

January 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Turd Hammer(er)

If i wanted to see a turd in 3D I'd look in the toilet. F. Scott was a hack.

January 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Cosmotologist To The Stars

3D would be incredible. With snooki in 3D they just couldnt go wrong.

January 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Benst

The USA motion picture industry is run by morons. Since 1968, they have told the 13-to-16 years old, that they are old enough to pay adult prices but are not old enough to see an R rated film without an adult. In 1999, film editor Dean Goodhill invented the Maxivison 48 projector (a film projector that runs at 48 frames per second instead of the usual 24 frames per second). Roger Ebert said; "Maxivison 48 looks Four times better than the normal image seen in a movie theater". Maxvision 48 has been ignored by the USA film industry. The number of people who went to see movies at the theaters in 2010 was at it's lowest numbers since 1996. Making a 3D Great Gatsby movie is stupid, and in a few years the amount of people who see a film at the walk-in theater will probably be somewhat similar to the amount of people who went to the drive-in movie theaters in 2010; very little. If the USA cinema industry wants to keep the walk-in movie theater alive; they had better give Maxivision 48 a second look, and limit 3D to a few films that need it, such as Coraline, Avatar, and Ghost of the Abyss. F. Scott Fitzgerald would vomit at the idea of a 3D Great Gatsby movie.

January 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • C0RR0SIVE

Actually, it isn't FPS that matters much in this case, you have to have a specific projector to display 3d, I don't see decade old tech being better than the current tech.

I guess you kinda live in the past when films are still delivered on film and not DVD/Blu-Ray media? Believe it or not, theaters get most movies that they display via Blu-Ray or DVD.

January 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pantherbuck

He woud vomit, but it would be from the copious amounts of alcohol he consumed the night before

January 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Cosmotologist To The Stars

I just hope theyll include a role for snooki. it wouldnt be the same if she wasnt in the film.

January 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Michi

Dear god no. Not everything needs to be 3-D. Especially things that are set in a classic era. Those things are not meant to be 'flashy'. Why even re-make the classics? Come up with some thing a little new, Hollywood.

January 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Mike

Unlike the other commenters here, I can't wait for them to make this film in 3D. And I hope they tweak it to make it 3D-worthy too. Maybe some high speed car chases and explosions. It would be really cool if they brought an alien attack on West Egg.
    Let's make Gatsby really great!

January 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gregor

Agreed! Car chases and alien attacks are just the thing to make the novel relevant to today's audiences. And why not give Snooki a part in it? She'd make a great Myrtle!

January 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canuckk

There actually is a car chase in Gatsby. I shudder to think how this will play out in 3D...

January 12, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  57. samb

So the great gatsby in 3d? That's a dumb idea. Even "action" movies in 3d is a stupid idea. So far the extra money for admission to 3d movies has gotten me some pretty spectacular previews and mediocre features. The latest 3d ripoff was gulliver's travels. Good movie but the "3d" was really just glasses to bring into focus the otherwise blurry screen. Ridiculous.

January 11, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  58. jay rod

Why not revert back to the book and make it a 3d pop up? hahaha!

January 11, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  59. Amy

Save the 3D for the Action movies.

January 11, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  60. Elizabeth

How pathetic of Baz Luhrmann to even consider such nonsense such as 3Don a classic story such as The Great Gatsby. It truly shows how the film industry has changed for the worst! It's all about technology now and original screenplays have literally gone out the window! And comic book characters and TV shows (that were meant for Television) DON'T COUNT DAMMIT!!!!! And I think I can vouch for the general public and whole heartedly say that movies are not worth the price they are charging for tickets. Stop using 3D as a selling tool for crappy movie-making!!!

January 11, 2011 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
    • imagediva

I could not have said it better...I saw the report about the reuse of those 3D glasses, fecal matter......really? And a headache afterwards? O and its really not shot in 3D anyways...sooooo why was my ticket 22.50? Let it be folks....The only movie out of all the recent 3D's that I can say was worth it was Avatar, sorry :(

January 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  61. wolfshiem

i wasn't so sure luhrmann was the right person for the job...this confirms it. can someone tell me where the 3d would be advantageous to the telling of this story? it's not like avatar or transformers...this is gatsby we're talking about.

btw...after seeing boardwalk empire and having it part of the storyline in entourage, i wish it was scorsese doing this remake.

January 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • TinaFig

You hit the nail on the head with that one buddy! Scorsese would be perfect for this film. He really knows how to capture the periods that his films take place in.

Now to put The Great Gatsbyin 3D is ridiculous and a waste of money.!

January 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Nancy

No, no, no. The medium should reflect the material. A 3-D Gatsby would be a travesty.

January 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • mattmchugh

Yes, a faithful cinematic depiction of the hyperbolic, nouveau riche, Jazz Age parties in Gatsby's mansion demands the artistic purity of two dimensions. Why try to think of new ways to imbue images with visual grandeur? Flat movies were good enough for our grandparents, so they should be good enough for us.

3D, with depth and perspective, is how we see the world. What's wrong with re-creating that on screen? You seem to think it's only good for spears and arrows comin' at ya.

Seesh...

January 12, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  63. Alex

No 3-D, please. Stop the madness. Give us substance, not style, Baz. With The Great Gatsby that can't be too difficult.

January 10, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gaz

I suggest people read the book again. The use of imagery suggests 3-d might be the best thing to happen to a film version of Gatsby.
      It has to be better than the horrible dreamy soft light used in the Redford version

January 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Markus30

Baz, keep the man junk in your mouth and forget about attempting to slander a classic with your fairy dust.

January 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

...proving that Lurhman is the wrong person to direct this remake.

January 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |