TLC orders 'Extreme Couponing' series
January 7th, 2011

TLC orders 'Extreme Couponing' series

And you thought paying attention to grocery store sales was enough. Ladies and gentlemen, get ready for some “Extreme Couponing.”

For those of you who caught TLC’s special on December 29, you’ve already witnessed the money-saving shenanigans on this reality show, which has just been ordered as a full series, according to Entertainment Weekly.

The “Extreme Couponing” special followed four of the nation’s most hardcore coupon clippers, one of whom is so serious with her coupon game that she paid only $2.64 for more than $600 worth of items.

The hour-long show was watched by 2.1 million, and now 12 more half-hour episodes are on the way.

“'Extreme Couponing’ captured the audience’s attention because it taps into people’s desire to live a better life without spending more money," TLC president Eileen O’Neill says in a statement. “The series will share even more tips and profile passionate people who have turned clipping coupons into a way of life."

The series is expected to debut sometime in the spring. Would you watch it?

Filed under: television

1. Shar

I find this show somewhat disturbing. I love saving money especially on groceries but these people take it to a whole new level. My mother used to be a big coupon shopper. She had things stock piled everywhere – garage, dishwasher, dryer, closets, etc. Many of these groceries she never even used. Let's face it – you can't possible use hundreds of tubes of toothpaste. Many of these items have expiration dates on them. Can you possible eat hundreds of boxes of cereal before they expire? Also, these items are for the most part processed foods – which we are told to eat less of. Where are the fresh fruits, vegetable, whole grains, dairy products? All I see is junk food and things I wouldn't want to eat? It isn't a deal if you don't consume this type of food. I believe I am a good shopper – I take advantage of deals and stock up on things I use when they are on sale. I rarely throw anything away. I eat healthy and buying all of this process food is not appealling to me. It is somewhat embarrassing that they go dumpster diving for coupons and such. I do believe this is more of an obsession for many of them. We are all looking after our pennies these days – but really!

April 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. shanii

in a blog before states that some people actually donate products to families who need, honestly im asking for the help. i need it as a teen mom. where i live they limit EVERYTHING.... n i find it crazy that in some places there is no limit to coupons but some places they limit everything to the point were its like you dont save nothing... so if you can help me out i would appreciate it... thank you

April 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Love to Coupon

The idea behind this is awesome! More people need to know how to coupon. Why on earth you'd pay companies for products they're willing to give away for free?? Beyond me! I just wish they'd show more "everyday" couponing that isn't quite as extreme as purchasing 1000 boxes of ceral. I've been couponing for about 2 years now, and can't even begin to explain the blessing it's been for my family! We've recenctly moved into our brand new 3400 sq. foot home, equiped with a beautifully designed space for my stockpile! I am saving thousands on everyday products and can afford a lifestyle that I otherwise would never be able to live. I constantly share my wealth of knowledge and stockpile with friends and family and would NEVER go back to the old way of shopping again! :)

March 22, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. April K. a.k.a. The Ivorywolfe

HI every one. I actually started this type of couponing in 2009. I run a site called http://www.theivorywolfe.blogspot.com
    I know people want to make fun of couponers or get mad at them, but the way I see it is that when I coupon I know I will have money for my bills. Couponing is helping us to stay debt free after we lost everything due to hard economic times and job cuts. I know (and interviewed) Nathan Engles and I also have known The Krazy Coupon Lady (both from TLC show). Trust me...give it a try. Wouldn't you rather pay 9 cents instead of 3.00?! Of course you would.

Also, I know it looks like they hoard, but TLC named the show "EXTREME" couponing so they needed them all to do some extreme coupon shopping. They do not normally shop like that.

But if your looking to save some money give it a try a week to a month and see just how much you would have spent and how much you actually spent after coupons. That will tell you if couponing is for you or not. Have a happy weekend everyone!

February 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • annie

i was wondering how couponing works exactly, ive realized there are different rules and ways couponing has to be done. Like how do u know when u can use more than 1 coupon per item or how many u can use and what and where the best places to find the coupons.And why some times you have to check out multiple times to get the savings? Do you have advise. Im lost with a famiy 6 and I sure woud love some advise. mabe a book you know about? thank you annie

November 10, 2013 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jessica

Is anyone but me worried that this series will ruin couponing for those who do it in moderation and not in extreme? Don't you think that stores will start changing their policies when people start using more and more coupons? I like the idea and learning new tips but not at the cost of my own couponing!

January 13, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sue

Hoarding aside, these people are inspiring. There is still a high employment rate in this country, and something like this could definitely help a lot of people. I would like to see a little more emphasis on the "how to" and less on the greed.

January 12, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rob

We used the Krazy Coupon Lady's website this weekend and $254 worth of goods for only $101 dollars...this is an awesome series.

January 12, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kayla

That's great that these people are all into 'saving money' but I have a few problems with this picture.
    1. This looks like a hoarding problem, less then a 'big family saving money' issue.
    2. That is a lot of food that will probably go to waste. If you don't use it, it's still a waste of money.
    3. How expensive was that little outfit of hers? I know that sounds critical, but really? Let's hoard/waste all this food for the thrill of savings but how is the spending in the rest of your life? Maybe if people didn't carry around debt or spend like crazy on stupid things, we wouldn't need the 'thrill of sales'. Just sayin.

January 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Stephy

You also may want to check your grocery store's website for e-coupons you can load directly onto your store's discount card. It can mean multiple savings, too, because the item can be on-sale that week, plus you can use a paper coupon and the e-coupon comes off automatically. It's great! Triple savings!

January 8, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. sheilajbowen

Interesting article! I just now got Coupons of my Favorite Brands for free from "Printapons" you should search for them online

January 8, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. StockpilingMom

I spend an average of $136 a month to feed my family of 3 and saved over $4000 from my families budget last year by strategically using coupons! Not only do I eat healthy I only feed my family organic milk and eggs and as much organic fruits, vegetables and meat! It is possible.

January 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. my_dad_is_the_master

This is fantastic. I thought my parents were the most extreme couponers out there, but I may be wrong after watching the series. My dad is the true mastermind behind the operation, but they often work as a team in order to skirt the “one per customer” rules, and so on. He is so good at it, that was able to retire before he was fifty with all the money he saves (and makes!) from learning the coupon system. The “system” meaning who allows double and triple coupons, and which days of the week each grocery or big box store discounts certain items. He collects free discarded newspapers, as well as scans the net for printable coupon, and spends hours sorting and planning out the stores to visit each day. My mom begs him to at least let the bill be a positive amount at the checkout, because she is repeatedly embarrassed by having to have the store GIVE HER money for the cart full of groceries. Yes, that is right, he figures out how to get everything for free and then some. He has turned their basement into a sort of warehouse for all of the things they get for free. My friends call have called the “Y2K cellar” and the “Family grocery”, but they all love to go “shopping” there for everything from toothpaste, to salsa, to batteries, or maybe even slippers and t-shirts. Each bin labeled, sorted, and correlated to spreadsheets on his computer. He tracks everything and then takes it all to local fleamarkets to sell. I admit that some of the coupon-clipping genes have trickled down to me, but I'll never be as much of a pro as my dad. In fact, I think you should have him on your show!!!

January 7, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jam

A reality show that educates its viewers wow.my mom was coupon crazy but i dont have the patience to go through a pile of coupons and i overspend too much

January 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dino

I watched the show and I loved it!

January 7, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Caroline

I watched the show and really enjoyed it. I enjoy watching reality shows and different ways people live. In some ways I felt it was stealing because those products still cost the company money to make but a deal is a deal and I like a deal.

January 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JLC

I watched with amazement. It is very worth the time, if its available. Before reading the comments, I was really frustrated the excess products weren't donated. Now I'm glad to know someone did that. And I thought about those garages after the tornadoes went through Arkansas and Missouri last week...

January 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. erica

Are you seriously making a lame comment about the multiple mercedes you own on a thread thats talking about coupons and donations??? *hint* if theyre too expensive for you...dont own them! genius

January 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Islandgirl

What a waste of plastic bags! And all the packaging that comes with processed foods.

January 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. bfd

I wish that stores here took internet coupons. Most places have a sign on the register stating they don't accept them. So even if they are legit coupons that the manufacturer put on their website, if it was printed off at home they don't take it.

January 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Slim

Someone let me know when a coupon comes out for cars. I want to pay $2.64 for a new Mercedes. The payments on the five Mercedes I already own are too high!

January 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. tbteacher

The ideas here are good – saving money. However, I work full-time and need to provide meals to my family who must eat dairy-free and gluten free. I am not going to spend my sanity hoarding pasta I can't use or food like typical fruit rollups full of artificial colors and sweeteners & preservatives. I have a great store near me that I can shop western family brand products and sales and easily have my bill under $100 a week while buying healthy allergen free goods.

January 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bfd

Heya, have you tried making the pasta and bread from scratch? We had to go gluten free for awhile for my oldest child and I was pretty impressed with the homemade pasta. If you have a place like Ocean State Job Lots around or Big Lots they often times have the gluten-free flour pretty cheap :)

January 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ESB

I didn't see the show but would watch it to pick up tips. I recently saved over $60 on household chemicals and such through shopper's card, doubled coupons clipped from the paper and electronic coupons.

January 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. leann

@ Karla, you can thank scammers for that. They illegally create coupons for "free" products, i.e. 12 pack of soda, bag of Doritos, Tide detergent which leaves the grocery store with a profit loss.

January 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephy

Many grocery stores are starting to take internet coupons again since they have barcoding now. You may want to check. All, but one locally owned store in our area still take them.

January 8, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. Nostan

I like coupons, but the picture accompanying this article depicting a woman with a mini grocery in her garage looks like organized hoarding to me.

January 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Islandgirl

Totally agree! Looks like some sort of obsession to avoid something else in thei lives

January 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bartb13

I think many of these compulsive coupon people have more problems than any of us know. They seem almost greedy in their shopping getting loads and loads of stuff that there is no way they could ever use before it goes bad. Then when someone comes along and wants to buy one, they are all out of stock at the store.

Plus, if you looked at the items the coupon crazy people bought, it seemed almost all to be the same. Pasta and sauce comes to mind. If they actually use all that stuff, I would get tired of eating stuff I had in huge stock reserves because I had to as opposed to eating it because I want to.

Just seems quite extreme (guess that's why the show is named what it is), but I think there is a part that wasn't discussed called greed and getting it because you can.

March 20, 2011 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  25. Patty

Too bad many grocery stores in the area I live no longer accept coupons printed from the internet.

January 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. kelly

it might look like a silly waste of time to some, but for people with big families its a must. I don't know the girl pictured, but the blond woman in the scene where they were in a garbage pit (blond woman was next to it since she was pregnant) went to my high school and gave birth to her 5th child yesterday. They probably need all the coupons they can get, since she is a stay at home mom with just one income to raise 5 children!! i agree that they don't need a bazillion deodorants, but the food items probably go fast with lots of kids, lots of cousins visiting. I wish i lived somewhere where they had coupons like that!! in my country its hard to find coupons, they don't have them in our sunday paper, and if you do get lucky and find a coupon you can never double it. most coupons i use come on the back of my receipts or on a box of something i bought.

January 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  27. anton

The ppl profiled were OCD and crazy for the most part but just a few hrs a week clipping coupons while you sit in front of the tv can save you big money. Theres just no reason to go crazy and hoard like the ppl on the show did. And if you wipe out the shelves by buying 300 boxes of pasta you make everyone else looking for pasta angry

January 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. linda

Your not saving anything if you spend time and engery on something you don't need. These people have OCD for sure and should actually be on the "Hoarding" shows. One of them had more sticks of deoderant then they would need in a lifetime. How is that saving money!? One of the husbands was distraught about all the Crap in the house. It had completely taken over their lives. No thanks... I'll spend a few extra bucks and maintain my sense of sanity.

January 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kimi

As a fulltime house wife & mother of 3 couponing is a must in my family..i agree with some comments here about the time it takes to search & organize coupons, whether one actually has the time & whether its worth it to each individual..some ppl simply dont have the time..but running the house hold IS my full time job..the money i save is the same as money earned..i watch anytime ppl offer saving tips because it benifits MY job..while ive been couponing the entire 19 years of my marriage, ive still never figured out how to save to the extent the ppl on Extreme Couponing do!..lol..its crazy!

January 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. pouringsun

How much "money" is one's time worth....priceless...if they factored in the value of thei time (looking for, organizing, maintaining, timing) coupons their effectives savings tanks. Many of them are unable to objectively value their time due to their COMPULSION to coupon.

January 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. pouringsun

How much "money" is one's time worth....priceless...if they factored in the value of thei time (looking for, organizing, maintaining, timing) coupons their effectives savings tanks. Many of them are unable to objectively value their time due to their COMPULSION with couponing.

January 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jacob

I'm a 31 year old male, who watched the show and LOVED IT! Gland they are bringing it back. I always looking out for the club card sales, and would stock up when things are on sale, but I never was aware that you could go to the store and buy $1k worth of groceries for less than $100. The show actually motivated me to go online and download manufacturers coupons, and my first time shopping I bought roughly $150 worth of groceries for just under $40! I hate reality TV, but I have to be honest that I actually made (saved) money by watching this, plus the adrenaline rush at the cash register was awesome! :-) I know some might say for me to get a life, but with the economy as bad as it is, it's nice to be able to stock up on groceries for a week, for the cost of what we would typically spend in 2 days.

January 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kathy spencer

TLC call me !! I can out shop all of them!! I filmed on Good Morning America and got my bill down to 1 penny!!
    Watch the video on You Tube. http://www.howtoshopforfree.net

January 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  34. hill

Not worth watching the show if there are no stores in your area that can double your coupons.

January 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erica

I agree with you.... I tried to use coupons today and the cashier would not scan more than one per item.

April 28, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  35. Selma

I loved the show and am very excited to see this series. The only thing that bothered me was that there was only 1 of four that donated the excess to charity. There is no way these people are able to use all of the food/household items before the expiration date so I think alot of it could have been donated especially now-a-days but it was ver interesting and I learned alot. I have always used coupons but this really pushes it to the "extreme". The other obstacle is that none of the grocery stores I live by double coupons like the people in the show so there would be no way for me to get the same results.

January 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • karla

The second one DID donate 300 lbs of food to the food bank, but TLC didn't want to film it. She has a video on her site where she donated and also her business partner donated to a shelter.

January 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Paula

We get EBT and those coupons at a savings of on average $60 a week gives us extra money at the end of the month.

January 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  37. tone

The problem is, most people don't make time to save money. Everyone talks about saving money but put forth very little initiative towards their goal. These are average people like you and I, who have decided they want to make their lives easier not only for themselves but their families as well. We shouldn't be making fun of people who do this we should be trying to do the same thing. Why shouldn't we be paying $2.00 for our groceries? Give these people credit for making their families lives a lot less stressful!

January 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Superhiro

I.... I can't believe that people would actually sit down and watch other people clipping coupons. I mean.. evidently they would, but it just seems like that shouldn't be.

January 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

The same reason people watch "reality" tv!! I don't watch much tv at all none-the-less "reality BS" but if you took the time to watch this show you would find it isn't people sitting around clipping couons, they are explaining and showing their techniques. Now, go back and finish watching Jersey Shore

January 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Amy

It's not worth it in the long run. I just see shelves packed full of processed foods. If you want the healthy foods you stick to the outer perimeters of the store, unfortunately coupons for fruits and veggies are rare.

January 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smarterthanu

there are coupons for non-food items too...duh! Often, that's where the best savings are. We could save enough on cleaning supplies to pay for those fruits and veggies that don't have coupons.

January 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Ted Williams

I kind of use a coupons for my booze, I sell my food stamps for $0.30 on the dollar and then buy a fifth of Kentuky's cheapest.

January 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron31

Food Stamps are no longer called food stamps it's called EBT and their on a card and no longer a paper stamp...I guess you would know that if you actually got them.

January 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andagain

Ron31 doesn't know a joke when he sees one.

January 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |