January 7th, 2011

Piers Morgan: I seduced Gayle to get Oprah

If you want to get to Oprah Winfrey, you've got to go through her BFF first.

That's the lesson Piers Morgan learned before nabbing the talk-show titan as his debut guest on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

"I had to seduce Gayle King by e-mail, which I did very successfully for a sustained period of time," Morgan, 45, tells CNN. "A great sort of digital courtship. And if you get to Gayle you get to Oprah!"

Morgan's interview with Winfrey, 56, lasted two hours but will be edited down for the show's January 17 premiere.  King, 56, says she was impressed with what she saw.

"Piers is good, may I just say that," she tells CNN. "He is really good. He's got a great sense of humor; he doesn't backtrack; he goes another way to get the question. He's good. It was fun watching him [with Oprah]."

Winfrey, however, may have found the experience slightly more stressful. She tells CNN, "That's one of the toughest interviews I've had in 20 years!"

1. debisis

When I saw the promo for Piers Morgan interviewing Oprah with his so called provocative inquiry of how many times she's been "properly" in love, I cringed at both him and Oprah. Both acted like such tools...she's touting Aussies and saying "mate" which seemed so patronizing and cheesy...eck. These are kind of people who are making wayyyy too much moola while acting like total d bags. I'm disgusted at CNN and much of American media. And I am an avid CNN fan at that. I'd rather watch R Sanchez. At least he's more honest and substantive.

January 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. blaket

I have to admit that your advertising campaign in effect for the last little while for Morgan has left me actually having zero desire to turn on the TV once he begins. It's not that often that a campaign leads me to have strong feelings of dislike for someone but you have succeeded. Bravo!

January 13, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. kevin conway

oprah hates men

January 9, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. kevin conway

Oprah hates men.

January 9, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. spriggs

I have proven to myself that your IQ can drop a litte reading the ignorent comments most of ya'll have posted on here. Oh and for the whole race comments. Can anyone be as ignoent to even let such a utterly dumb a$$ thought process come out of your mouth in actual words.

January 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. patricia lumaava

WHATEVER!!!!

January 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. patricia lumaava

I love Oprah, Piers Morgan, Gayle King, I love everyone...including the HATERS that comment negatively about Oprah or Piers. Please...get a life!!

January 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike

It really amazes me that I can not get anything to post on the Pro Islam network (Crescent News Network).....I guess that is why I watch Fox News...unbiased.....

January 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jimmy

Wow, how surprising! CNN (Crescent News Network) took my comments down. What a SHOCK! No wonder I watch Fox News......

January 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. themoi

This guy is a tool. I give him 6 months on CNN–tops

January 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DeitraAKAmirrorTime

@Margeaux....it wasn't about being a man or a woman.(not going to believe you're as ignorant as you're portraying yourself) It's about self accountability. But of course, you chose not to actually speak on the actual content, just focused on the lame analogy I chose to use to make your statement seem like you made a point. Wow, Grow up! Odds are Oprah will continue to live her life...so will you and so will I. Just for the record, I am a woman!

January 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Charlie

Piers Morgan = Egomaniac.

January 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. wendywhite

What a start. Couldn't Piers M have got someone more news worthy?

January 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SOAPBOX9

Reading some of these comments are just sad. Remember that rule most of us where imparted with as children: If you don't have anything good to say, dont say anything at all...this may have been one of those moments. Oprah has not done anything that negativly impacts on scociety or on many of you with those nasty postings. For the record, I am impartial, but I will not use this medium to bash Oprah or Gail.

January 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. nyc

ask the people who made Oprah's favorite things....what she did for their business

or author's who had a book in her book club

January 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jell

Some talk shows might have lasted longer than Oprah, but don't know if any have stayed number one for virtually a quarter century like Oprah has. An amazing achievement in today's fragmented hyper-competetive media age.

January 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. trub

You care. You took the time to read and comment

January 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Loo

Oprah's amazing. She went from being a fat black lady entertaining housewives with a trashy talk show, to the richest African American of all time and the most influential woman on the planet in record time. I think she's absolutely brilliant. And instead of just sitting around counting her money, she keeps creating jobs. I like her a lot.

January 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Just Sayin"

Talk show hosts who have lasted longer than Oprah without getting cancelled? Johnny Carson, Steve Allen, Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, Larry King, Dinah Shore, Jay Leno, David Letterman, Phil Donohue, Jack Paar – should I continue or did you maybe catch on? Or does u even 'no who any of these people is? No one is mad cause she's black, female, or wealthy – people are tired of her, plain and simple – time to call it a day, Oprah.

January 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Teacher Bulge

Gayle controls all of Oprahs movement with an App on her iPad. It is similar to the App Diddy use to control his yacht...both are about the same size too.

January 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Der Krampus

Can't say I know the woman or the people that watch her, but I find it odd that Piers had to 'seduce' Opie's BFF in order to get an interview. Secondly, why would an interview be 'tough' or the 'toughest one I've ever had'? I'm not inclined to watch it to find out, but what would he have to ask or would she have to tell, that would be tough any how?

January 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Red Wing Blackbird Hunter

Oprah is scary. Anyone who refers to their minions as "Angels" clearly has a God Complex. She's put a bit to high on her throne for what she has done or who she is. She is a talk show host with some minimal acting credits. That is it. Giving away gifts to your audience does not make you a Saint. At best it makes you another version of Santa Claus.

January 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. MirrorTime

Reading the comments are diheartning! I'm not a huge Oprah fan these days. I was in the beginning. But her ego has outgrown her entertainment value. With that said, I can't dismiss her contributions to our society. Exploiting people?? Get real! She hasn't done you any more harm than your elected officials or any other excessively paid actor/actress, athlete, business owner. Talking just happens to be her product! She made millions upon millions being a talk show host, something she loves. How many of us wouldn't jump at the opportunity to make millions to do something we enjoy?? Don't get mad at her for taking an opportunity and turning it into what it is today! Seriously, if the basis of your argument is she's just like you and me...just a person, then doesn't that go for everyone..regardless of their talent or skill level? It's fine if you dislike someone, but perhaps a little self evaluation is in order. Most of the problems YOU are facing start with the Man in the Mirror. What are you doing to better yourself or those around you...

January 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margeaux

"Most of the problems YOU are facing start with the Man in the Mirror."

Oh my, that is my problem!! I looked in the mirror and saw a woman! YIKES! I wonder if I should put my work of helping cognitively delayed youth on hold until I straighten out this woman/man thing.

January 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. David M

Oprah has a few dollars in her checking account and she can spend it any way she wants to. That's fine. But why does it always have to be only about her??? Oprah gives the impression that she's not interested unless she's in the spotlight. Pretty much like Nancy Pelosi. You know what Oprah? Just go away and enjoy your billions any way you want to. But just keep in mine that it was never all about you, and never will be.

January 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. WOW ! What Haters !

I find all of your comments interesting in that I can't recall Oprah ever stating that the masses must "do this or do that". I applaud and admire her for speaking her mind and empowering an audience that has traditionally been idle. At the same time, you knock Oprah and flock to Maury, Jerry Springer and folks like Hannity and Rush ! They say things to incite chaos or make a mockery of others. I don't recall any of them donating for any funds or charities outside of their immediate interest group. If you don't like her, turn the channel or simply ignore her. I can't recall anyone who can claim she has kicked in their door and made them listen to her ! If so, call me toll free or collect !

January 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margeaux

"... the same time, you knock Oprah and flock to Maury, Jerry Springer..."
      Hold it honey, I don't have any kind of cable. I only own a TV to watch DVDs that I enjoy.

Do you honestly think women have been empowered by her? Funny, the way I see it, most women still earn less than men, many women find themselves in relationships that they should not be in but feel powerless, on the whole, women are treated less seriously than men. Oprah continues to reinforce these ideas as she beats on women to "find themselves" and be "grateful". She would do better to encourage women to write their congress and get more involved in politics and activities at their community level.

January 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dsea

She got women to elect obama who gave them healthcare and signed feminist legislation

January 8, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  26. Shirley

I thought Piers would have someone really special, not Oprah. There are so many wonderful people, doing really goods things for mankind, for him to interview. Many of these people have litttle or no publicity and their efforts to improve the world could really benefit from this type of exposure. Oprah is old old news. Many of us are just over her and her obession with
    material things.

January 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Lue Blacknell

You shameless & racist @#@$$-think that "snooki", palin, beck, limpballs & the rest "pale pals" are the greatest-you are some stupid & arrogant s.o.b. 's

January 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Sayin'

Obnoxious, overdone, overexposed, and overkill have nothing to do with skin colour. All of these people need to move on – its been done.

January 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  28. k nwk

@ the dude
    U must be a race card playa oprah have did more than can ever accomplish! Do u give millions in donations?No. Do u have ur own talk show tv/radio?No. How bout this are 1 of riches celabs on the top 10 list?No. Go sit down somewhere & be QUIET b4 u open ur mouth & don't know the facts. Kick rocks stupid! U probably don't even own ur own house or car & u hating! Smh. Get a life DUDE.& to whoever else that's hating grow up she doing better than u & urs. Gotta be a bunch of low life haters

January 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. greenfis

I recommend Piers interview TRUMP .Trump says it like it is and am curious about Donald's future plans in politics. Or what about Arnold- what's that pardon all about to a convicted young man? Or why are so many fish, birds dying- what's going on there? Like a gag order has been put on CNN

January 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  30. sam man

The best part is that reports came out that her cable channel is tanking. I give it a year and it will go dark.

January 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margeaux

"Just one day after the launch of Oprah Winfrey's new cable channel OWN, fans flooded her website with messages complaining over the new cable fees that they will have to pay to add her channel to their TV lineup."

January 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. greenfis

Too cliche'ish – Piers opening show with Oprah-it's just disappointing a man of his skill – where's the 3 F's he spoke about? Piers is a perfect choice for the Larry King successor . Now let's get some interesting interviews instead of 'canned'. Focus on topics at the heart of middle America- subject matter experts on unemployment, foreclosures, economy, technology, etc. Please stay away from Susie Orman – just way overdone...

January 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jackie

So, we're supposed to make the best of a bad situation. Rather than working to change what's wrong with the world, Oprah tells us to change ourselves. She shows us how to feel better when we've lost jobs, homes, income and savings and our children fighting wars abroad and on the streets. I'd feel better if she used her persuasive powers to wipe out ignorance, hatred, inequality, abuse, warlords, lying politicians, polluters of the earth and corporate thugs.

Every good deed must be recorded and praised to the skies.

I read Ms. Winfrey is buying a mansion in New Jersey. How many homes does that make now? The lady has the biggest carbon footprint in the western hemisphere. New agers might say she acquires and overeats to fill up a hole she can't define. If so, Oprah should listen to the pap and c%ap she's spreading around.

I am not a fan of Ms. Feelgood Gotrocks, purveyor of smoke and mirrors. Governments and corporations love her because she perpetuates the status quo and keeps the riffraff at bay.

January 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jason's Dad

I must have missed the memo when Oprah annointed herself as the conscience of America. She stands on her soapbox telling all these dopey, gullable women on how to be the perfect wife, (never been married) be the perfect mother, (never had kids) how to lose weight and keep it off (fatter than ever) and that Obama is "the one" (how's that working out for y'all?). C'mon people! We're better than this!

January 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Delicio

I have found out most recently that people that are grateful for an act of your kindness tries to 'repay' the favors within a month of your good deeds. On the other hand, having a good deed done for you actually should commit the graditude you feel to expand over a lifetime. This is what Oprah and others have shown us. Bravo!

January 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  35. m

"You get a whale! YOU get a whale! EVERYONE GETS WHALES!!!!"

January 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Fire red

wow ppl yall got wayyyy off subjuect... Why speak bad things about ppl, "thats the kind of world" we live in? Ppl start worrying more your own life and less about others...

January 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Choconet

Like you can afford to hire Oprah!

January 7, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  38. Margeaux

The Dude is right. I cannot fathom for the life of me, why people flock to this woman. If she were not rich, people would think she was just a big, annoying, know it all. Funny how someone's financial status affects our perception of them. For those who think the rest of us are jealous, I have things in my life that Oprah could never buy. She exploits people, period and they love her for it. Wow, what does that say about us as a society. She does high profile things to enlarge her already large ego. She wouldn't suppport an illness unless it was named after her. And please, why does she need to be on the cover of her magazine. What other publisher is consistently on the front of their publishings?

January 7, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Geminiladi

BECAUSE IT HER MAGIZINE!!!!! And yes everything in your post reeks of jealously!!! Every word.....

January 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Numbnuts

I pray to Oprah every night

January 7, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  40. Third J

....its all about hate, hatin the success, hoping for a damning failure. Same class of clowns, same group of envious know-it-less. If not for dark skin, Oprah would be asked to run for government seating. But a country of overall deep soul driven home taught haters, still imagines to tell its own version of god to bless them. Wow.

January 7, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  41. Your Neighborhood Troll

like yourself?

January 7, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  42. Your Neighborhood Troll

You're just jealous cuz she's richer than you

January 7, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  43. Heathen

I would have more respect for Oprah if she gave some of her billions to disadvantaged Americans.

January 7, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  44. Sunny

Why bother
    She is fading away... And so does he
    Two loser
    Hope lasts only a month or so
    He said nasty stuff about America so why CNN hires?

January 7, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  45. Bettina

Oprah made big money by exploiting people and their miseries and the audience bought into it.
    What a shallow society we have become.

January 7, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  46. the_dude

Oprah hasn't really done anything so great with her life. She is a talk show host for crap sake not a rocket scientist or curer of some major disease. She can't prevent natural disaters. She can't stop wars or solve famine. She is just like any other person except she got an opportunity and ran with it. The only reason she is so popular is because there are a lot of fat, bored housewives that sit around and watch tv all day.

January 7, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • @ the_dude

"a lot of fat, bored housewives..."

oh, and you forgot DerrickAnthony too.

January 7, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Francis

To the Dude...What have you done? Oprah has given and given millions of dollars to help people around the round. How about the girls school in Africa... Millions to HNCF.

Do you have a personal life? Well, Oprah does.

January 7, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

I agree that Oprah's contributions are commendable. However, I cannot say that her contributions are greater than anyone else who decides to donate to charity. Some people may not have the millions she has to give but give with as much heart if not more than Oprah. I would commend someone who willingly gave $5 dollars a year if they only had $10 dollars rather than someone giving $40 million out of their billions without having sweat on their back.

In the end, donations are donations (which are good nevertheless), but don't give Oprah that much credit. the_dude may come off as bitter, but he makes a good point. She found opportunity and ran with it.

January 7, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

It would be nice if the spirit in which a donation was given really matter ($5 vs. $50M). But let’s face it truthhurts $50 Million goes a lot further to a charity than $5. Remember this, people don't have to give anything, so the fact that Oprah willingly gives millions does matter. There are a lot of millionaires and billionaires who don't give a dime! If she hadn’t “ran with an opportunity” then there would be no $50 Million for charities. So your statement is without merit and like the dude comes off as a little bitter.

January 7, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Choconet

See Margeaux? She gets the idea.

January 7, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Harry Lax

Amen

January 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. TRUTH

@ DerrickAnthony...EXACTLY!! What are points these people are making with their comments?? lol Oprah's still doing better with her life than they are.

January 7, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  48. HAHA

Well Played!

January 7, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  49. QinZirO

Oprah is my favorite event in
    Indonesia. Greetings for admin