Aretha Franklin: Health problem 'resolved'
January 7th, 2011

Aretha Franklin: Health problem 'resolved'

It looks like the source of Aretha Franklin’s recent health issues is staying between the Queen of Soul and her doctors – Franklin said in an interview with Jet magazine that she’s keeping quiet.

“I am not one to do a lot of talking about my personal health or business,” the 68-year-old singer said. “There are a lot of people who will talk about anything, as long as there is somebody listening. But I am not one of those people.”

Indeed, as word spread that Franklin was having surgery for an unknown trouble in early December - a month after announcing that her concerts were canceled until May because of doctor’s orders - reports suggested that she had cancer, with the National Enquirer saying that Franklin had been diagnosed with inoperable and incurable pancreatic cancer over the summer.

“I am not going to even deal with that,” Franklin said of the presumptions. “I don’t have to talk about my health with anybody other than my doctors. The problem has been resolved.”

To her fans, Franklin said that she’s feeling great and is “coming along.”

“I want to thank my fans and friends and supporters who have prayed for me and sent me beautiful cards and flowers,” Franklin told Jet. “Please continue to respect my privacy as I continue to recover.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Staci

I don't think its right for people getting into others people business? If, Aretha wanted everyone to know she could have gotten on national Television and said what was wrong with her, and she should sue the person who leaked out her business, to teach them a lesson..
    Mrs Franklin looks good and sound good, I hope you will make a come back so you can do tours again and you have a lot of fans in Colorado..wish you a speedy recovery..

March 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kevin is Gay Friendly

Aretha needs a supersized wheel barrow to carry around that fat belly and mammaries. What a fat sow.

March 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jack Cornhole

My Gosh...you know after a big plate of chitlins, pickled pigs feet and watermelong Aretha could bring about her own shytstorm. Lord...doo doo pieces the size of footballs flying outa her rump. RUUUNN!!!

March 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Patticake

Aretha,
    Jesus loves you yes I know for the Bible tells me so. I thank him for blessing you with the voice to share with the world and until I'm dead and gone the memories of your heart felt songs that I grew up with will never ever be forgotten by my friends or family. Nothing but love for you sis and disreguard all the mean and hateful words that pour out of the mouths of the mean spirted ones for they too will have to account for their wrong doings on judgement day.

March 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. shareen

Aretha knows not to speak of that mess. If you speak it you give it life. Life and death are in the power of the tongue.

January 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MuzikBear

Sorry Mr. NO, your ignorance is showing. Aretha has never left the Church. And if your Jesus turns his back on anyone, you picked the wrong Jesus!

January 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jamfs

R E S P E C T

January 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. evelyn

Dear ms franklin Most people like myself luv u n ur music u deserve all da RESPECT whatever ur ailment is i pray to god u get well soon i grew up listening to ur music luv it god bless

January 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. annie m jackson

i grow up with in detroit on lasall st went to school with her sister sry to here she ill but i heard she pass i hope this is not true she one year olden then i am god bless your ere

January 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sandra bailey

somethings are not to be shared! as a cancer survior i felt very infringed on when my daughter told my ex husband information about my health. hav'nt you heard about hippa laws? IF you love this fine lady give her this respect. love you aretha!RESPECT

January 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ms.New Orleans

God is good you are truley a blessing to the music industry..I will continue to pray for you.Get well soon QUEEN!

January 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mr.New Orleans

I am sooo happy U are doing better...I love your music. As a child I grew up jammnig to your songs.Hope U continue to heal successfully and may God continue to bless you.

January 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. arnold skalland

she abandoned her first love jesus christ for the satanic sounds of motown and you can bet the crucified one will turn his back on her black ass

January 7, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Arnold. No. It's your god. They're your rules. YOU go to hell.

You realize all the Fundamentalists will be on the sidelines in heaven, groaning and moaning over seeing all the pagans, etc happily enjoying themselves. The Fundamentalists will actually be in hell, and watching that will be their punishment. You see, god doesn't like it when people try to tell her what she thinks.

January 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

Get well and God bless you, Aretha Franklin, Queen of Soul.

January 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Richard T

Greetings to Our Forever & Irreplaceable Queen of Soul! I have loved you and your music from the first time that I saw your early video singing "Respect" by the corner of the New York Stock Exchange! There is no one, absolutely nobody who will ever be able to take your place, Aretha. Know that all of your fans and all of America pray for your good health and a speedy recovery! Your amazing voice is a god-given gift, and I for one, am so thankful...Loved you and your hat at President Obama's inauguration- Please keep singing to us and for us, Aretha, we love you so!

January 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. LILY

Get well. We need you here. Great blessings and much love.

January 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jay

Unfortunately her unwillingness to simply dispel the rumour that she is fighting pancreatic cancer leads me to believe that it isn't a rumour. If it was false, then saying so wouldn't be discussing anything personal, as she doesn't personally have it. I wish her comfort and peace for her remaining months.

January 7, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sunless

try that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

January 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Name*paula williams

Praying For speedy Recovery and Healing.Cont praying for good health and cant wait to see you back on stage ...Love you from a Fan

January 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dsn63

All the best for a speedy recovery you are loved by all who love true talent.

January 7, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  21. Paul Miles

To Ms Aretha Franklin who i share the same birthday ,best wishes , get well , too many people need to praying instead of prying into your personal business...see you on stage for your comeback... Peace and Blues Paul Miles

January 7, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  22. Angela

God bless the queen of soul.she has brought so much musical joy in my life whatever is ailing her i pray that she has a full recovery.

January 7, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  23. Boon Clampet

I sent Aretha my signature moonshine. Fix'd her right up.

January 7, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  24. Lorna

We look forward to you being on stage again & hearing your soulful voice !! Get Well

January 7, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |