Streisand to star in 'Gypsy'?
January 6th, 2011

Streisand to star in 'Gypsy'?

Everything's coming up roses for Barbra Streisand. The superstar is gearing up to take on the mother of all roles by playing Mama Rose in a movie remake of the musical "Gypsy."

The New York Times reports that the "Little Fockers" star has met with "Gypsy" lyricist Stephen Sondheim and book writer Arthur Laurents and has expressed interest in the part. Streisand has wanted to do the movie for years, says Laurents, “but now things are serious and a movie is truly in the works.”

"Gypsy," which hit the stage in 1959, tells the story of stage mother Rose Hovick and her two daughters, who begin life as mini vaudeville stars and grow up to become stripper Gypsy Rose Lee and actress June Havoc. Among the actresses who have played Mama Rose on stage and screen: Ethel Merman, Rosalind Russell, Tyne Daly, Bette Midler, Bernadette Peters, and Patti Lupone. Now, it looks like it's Streisand's turn.

Though some might consider the 69-year-old singing legend too old to play the mother of two young girls, Laurents disagrees. “First of all, they can do magic in Hollywood," he says. "Second, does it really matter?”

Laurents is also hoping that Tom Hanks will join Streisand as Rose's love interest Herbie. "Barbra loved the idea," he says.

Post by:
Filed under: Barbra Streisand • Celebrities • movies • Music

1. Les

Sorry, Babs, but they released that movie while you were first appearing on Broadway. You should catch the pic sometime and maybe pick up some tips from Russell's acting performance. That being said, of course you can handle the vocals – every actress with pipes over 30 has taken a whack at that musical Medea, Madame Rose and you were certainly blessed with those. You just don't have the acting talent for the role.

That being said, do it as one of musical-in-concerts and hire Lea Michele for the teen-aged Louise. That would be a hit.

January 25, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NEAL

I AM NOT A STRIESAND FAN. THAT BEING SAID – I THINK SHE WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THE ROLE. I DO WISH THEY WOULD FINALLY, SHOULD THIS HAPPEN, PUT OUT A FULL SCORE CD – INCLUDING ALL THE MUSIC/LYRICS WRITTEN FOR THE PIECE. TO MAKE IT NEW – I THINK THEY SHOULD OPEN THE MOVIE – WITH THE FIGHT BETWEEN ROSE AND GYPSY AND WHEN ROSE SAYS " WHAT DID I DO IT FOR" AND GYPSY RESPONDS WITH "I THOUGHT YOU DID IT FOR ME" THEN THE OVERTURE STARTS AND IT BECOMES A FLASHBACK – BUILDING UP TO THE "ROSE'S TURN" THEY MUST COME UP WITH A WAY TO MAKE IT FRESH AGAIN – AND I THINK THAT WOULD DO IT. ALSO ONE LAST THOUGHT – I REALLY REALLY HOPE THEY GET KIRSTIE ALLEY TO PLAY MAZAPPA – GOLDIE HAWN TO PLAY TESSIE AND JO ANNE WORLEY TO PLAY MS ELECTRA. I HAD A DREAM

January 17, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alfredo Hurtado

...Some of you seem to overlook that both Patti Lupone and Bernadette Peters were both in their 60's when they played Mama Rose on B'dway. Ethel Merman was in her 50's and so Rosalind Russell when she did the movie in the late 50's. Most of the story takes place when Mama Rose children are all grown up. If you want to give Barbra a hard time, you'd better find a better reason. If anyone in B'dway can pull this off, it's her...She can sing and she can act, among other things

January 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bill

Go for it Barbra. She looks great and there is no talent around like her. She's got my vote! Love ya Barbra!

January 11, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tay Tay

Anne Hathaway better be Louise!

January 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Svet Lana

Barbara who?

January 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. meryla shaye

whatever ms striesand does it will be great, I am a true striesand fan, and she is a perfectionist, she looks great and I am sure she will do a great job.

January 10, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Anita

Barbara Streisand is an all time classic!. WHO CARES HOW OLD SHE IS? She is a beautiful lady with a God Given Talent. Every actor has their own way of putting their own color in a role. I am sure Barbara will give it her all and certainly won't embarass anybody...........let alone herself! And she won't let down her fans who have been following her forever! Go for it Barbara can't wait for the finished product!!!

January 10, 2011 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. barbara

The camera can do wonders and I think people will over look the age discrepancy in order to enjoy what will undoubtedly be an incredible performance by Ms. Streisand. You for it girl!

January 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lily Daisy

Barbra is an extraordinary actress as well as singer so I'm sure she will do the role and the movie justice. Besides, she kind of has a timeless look about her anyway. I don't think Barbra would do anything to jeopardize her sterling reputation as a consumate professional. Have a great time with it Barbra!

January 8, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jagoff123

WHO CARES/ there are important things going of in the world get involved and forget these wealthy celebrities

January 8, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. susan powers

DO IT! I grew up seeing many versions of this story, great story...you will do it justice I am sure. You are an actress. I am sure you will have no problem.

January 7, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. niki

Too old...grandma maybe.....her performances are well in her past. I can't imagine that stunt.

January 7, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. AngelaLansbury

I'LL GET YOU, MY PRETTY...!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sonya Maria

Barbra as Mama Rose in Gypsy is inspired! I'd love to see it. Loved the 1962 Gypsy with Natalie Wood. Who will play that role – Rose Louise? How 'bout Christina Aguilera? She has the pipes and the looks....

January 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. sunless

get that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

January 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Brad

I'm a diehard Streisand fan but if you've seen Patti Lupone in the role of Mamma Rose, you'd agree, PL as Mamma Rose was truly thrilling.. Her performance made the little hairs on your neck stand up. Just not sure BS has the grit needed for this role.

January 7, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

Brad – I so agree with you and made this point to a friend when I heard the news. She has never displayed the grit and the depth to play this role. It is wrong, wrong wrong. I too am a diehard fan, but this is not a good idea.

January 10, 2011 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
    • me

I agree. But I would also love to be proven wrong by Ms. Streisand.

January 10, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. Lily

Love Barbra but honey? 70 is too old to play mommy to a 7 yr old and a 10 yr old no matter how you slice it! Please don't embarrass yourself and your fans by trying to do this....find a different project. Hollywood does make magic but not enough to make 70 look 30. Embrace your age group!! You are wonderful as is!

January 7, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Sorry but you are wrong. I just saw her in Little Fockers. She looked absolutely great, refreshing and at least 39. She didn't look 69 at all. Shoot I'm 31 and I will say that with money she looks far better than I ever could what with work and kids. Go see the movie. With her looks and her voice she is ripe to play the mother of a 7, 10 year old. She looks just the part.

January 9, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jona

Has anyone seen GYPSY? If you have, you know that the "little girls" do NOT stay little throughout the show! They grow up! If Babs can act & sing this, I say WHY NOT? I'm tired of actors claiming they can sing...see NINE. I'm also tired of seeing actors who are in their early to mid 40's playing GRAND PARENTS!

January 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sammy

I just saw her in Little Fockers, too.....she looked as if she was a thousand years old. She looks her age. Not 39.... not 30.. she looks 69. Nothing wrong with that, but she's full of herself if the she thinks she can pull this one off. I hope they don't give it to her just because she's Barbara Streisand. That would be wrong. I'm a fan, but this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

January 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • alfredo hurtado

I agree with Jona,,,,Nine could've been a much better film by casting actors who could actually sing...Kidman, DeLewis, Lorens, Dench, all great until they tried to belt a note! Exception to Fergie and maybe a little bit with Cotillard and Hudson. Babs would've beena good "Lilly La Fleur"! in "Nine"!

January 12, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. trey

She was great on South Park

January 7, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  20. Miss Gina

I knew Gypsey Rose Lee, and have pictures of us together with the girls from my Mom's burlesque show, one of whom was my sister. If Ms. Streisand wants to talk to someone who remembers her call me! You have my permission to give Ms. Streisand my email. I'm so happy my Mom is still alive to see the revival of real burlesque. She is 83, and afraid to tell people what she did because she doesnt't wan them to think she was a pole dancer or lap dancer. I guess there is a revival in the bay area of Ca and in Seattle. The shows are wonderful! I have a life size board picture of my Mom that was in front of the Moulin Rouge in San Francisco. There's no business like show business, or as Mom says " you can take the girl out of the show but you can't take the show out of the girl....

January 7, 2011 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
    • barbara

I doubt that this blog will pass your email on, so I'd suggest searching for her contact info. I'm sure you'll be able to contact her that way and I'm sure she'd be very interested in your mother's story!!

January 9, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. SBFlorida

Your posts are so funny.

January 6, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |