NBC to take on 'Mad Men' with 'Playboy'
January 6th, 2011

NBC to take on 'Mad Men' with 'Playboy'

"Mad Men" may soon have some period drama competition. NBC is planning its own series about the swinging '60s - and the goings-on should be even steamier than anything seen at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.

"Playboy" is set in the world of the New York City Playboy Club in the 1960s, reports Deadline.com. The series will follow the lives of the club's Bunnies while also exploring the political and moral changes of the era.

Newly engaged Hugh Hefner opened the first Playboy club in Chicago in 1960, eventually expanding the franchise internationally. Guests at the cocktail bars could watch top acts like Ray Charles, George Carlin and Ann-Margret perform while being served drinks by waitresses in rabbit-eared "bunny" costumes.

"Playboy" is currently in development and the show's cast and air date have not yet been announced.

1. Meemnjosue

cheap new coach handbags for promotion code , just clicks away

February 7, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. chocchicy

Do not think this show will e-v-e-r compete with Mad Men.....Nice try,,,,NBC....you should try something else.

June 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bad Idea

No way this new show will conquer Mad Men. NBC is nothing more than a SHYTstorm of SHYT raining down on SHYT that has already fallen. SHYT SHYT SHYT = NBSHYT.

February 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TI

any reason to get women into scantily-clad clothing. i mean that's the only way anyone is going to pay attention to them anyway, right?

February 2, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Maddict

NBC canceled their own much-honored, original dramatic series set in New York (that gave at least reliable ratings) to create an imitation of someone else's honored dramatic series set in New York that could easily flop? Does the N in NBC stand for Numbskull?

January 25, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Holly Golightly

Mad Men's fans don't give any reason for liking it? Except great sets, great acting? Those are reasons. Plus the writing is superb, as well as the pacing! Why do ppl get so bent out of shape about these blogs? sheesh...plus Jon Hamm is beyond yum-yum! That's just a proven fact! :)

January 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tom Meilander

I won't watch it unless the characters smoke. How can you depict the 60's at a casino or bar without cigarettes? I hate smoking, but if one is going to the time period of the 60's...it best be accurate. Then, they better find a John Hamm.

January 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Superhiro

Also, I think cheefsfury would be mad that you think we're the same person :P

January 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Superhiro

@Posh-Kenneth... Wow.. ok, first off, me commenting on a Jersey Shore article, in a negative way I might add, does not have any bearing on my ability to comment intelligently on Mad Men. My comment on the jon ham is yummy thing was a joke. If you took that seriously that's really your problem. Look, if you don't like my opinion of Madmen, fine, but it's immature and honestly, quite fanboyish for you to attack me personally because I don't like it. I've given specific reasons why I don't like this show. None of it's supporters have given any actual reasons why they like it. It's always just, "ohhh the sets are beautiful. Oh the fashion is beautiful in that era. Oh the acting's great" That's all true, but unfortunately the writing is abysmal for the reasons I stated earlier. Unbelievable and campy storylines coupled with mind numbingly dull and scatter brained pacing make this show unwatchable IN MY OPINION.

January 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bignified

You lost me at NBC.

January 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. QuietStormX

Give me a break! NBC going against Mad Men. They can wish all they want with this. They can't go as deep or on broadcast TV. And I suspect that the cast of women will be white and blonde. How far dose anyone think viewers will spend time on this crap of maybe all show, but no go... LOL

January 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superhiro

@banasy. If you like Mad Men's writing that's fine. Evidently a lot of people do. I find it to have some of the worst pacing I've ever seen. And their storylines I found to be stupid and childish. A guy dies in the army and another guy takes over his life? A woman is pregnant but doesn't know until she actually gives birth? I'm sorry, that, in my opinion, is stupid. Lol, also the "Jon Hamm Yum" comment doesn't make me take your opinion all that seriously. :P

January 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

@Superhiro- several things to say, 1 being i think you and cheef are the same dude, 2 I really don't think a guy that comments on a JERSEY SHORE article can tear apart any quality scripted show (granted I watch it), and 3 Jon Hamm is yummy. I'm sure her whole purpose was to have some random guy take her SERIOUSLY over the internet. Also its her opinion, she's allowed to have it. Plus you contradict yourself, you're all "I dont really watch TV, I've only commented on 3 shows" which isn't true, I've seen you on SEVERAL other articles (most recently on Jersey Shore) because I'm on this site everyday cause I'm bored at work.

in other news, I always welcome new shows. Sometimes it actually turns out to be something fantastic, like Chuck or Southland. I'm waiting for The Cape though... I'm curious about how it will be.

Here's a line to make yall take me SERIOUSLY: Garrett Hedlund is hotter

January 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kimberly

NBC isn't patient enough to let this find its audience, and NBC viewers have become fickle as a result.

January 7, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Danika

AMC and NBC appeal to completely different types of people. I'm sure if they tailor 'Playboy' to the NBC demographic and don't try to be too much like Mad Men, they should do well. If they try to mimic the same pacing and dialogue style, it will fail.

January 7, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. vomit

NBC FAIL.

January 7, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. llibsetag

Last season MAD MEN did an episode set inside a Playboy Club...

January 7, 2011 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  17. Scott

Demodogg.com Great site to get your music and band noticed by record producers!

January 7, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  18. banasy

Mad Men is not poorly written...it's actually written quite beautifully. The only complaint I have about it is that it lags at times...but that can be said for many shows on TV.
    There are many movies that I have the same complaint about, however. I find many movies have over-runs so long, one could take a 30 minute nap and not lose their place in the plot line. But that's only my opinion!

Jon Hamm. Yum!

January 7, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  19. Wade N Ginger N Eastman Georgia

Bring it on,But hey I have Dish Network I most likely won't get to see any of it anyway since by the end of 2011 DIsh Network will prolly have been in disputes with Every Television Network that broadcasts TV programs throughout The United States and Canada. So Basically we will soon be paying just to watch QVC,and all the religious networks that are the Only ones you can watch when they cut your service off for not paying on time.Not that I ever have my service disconnected.

January 6, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Suparhiro

Superhrio u sound liek teh retards

January 6, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Superhiro

Hmm... currently running shows? Slim pickins really. I'm more of a movie guy. I usually only watch the news on tv.

January 6, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. cheefsfury

U HATE EVERYTHING AND ALWAYS POST MEEN STUFF IM NOT COMLANING BUT I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT U LIKE

January 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Superhiro

Can I ask how it "seams" that way? I've probably only given my opinion on like 3 shows total here.

January 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. cheefsfury

SUPERHERO WHAT IS A GOOD SHOW TO YOU IT SEAMS LIKE U LIEK NOTHING

January 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. banasy

I think you're being generous, cheefsfury. Mad Men will beat the tar out of it!

John Hamm. Yum.

January 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Superhiro

That's what I said about Mad Men. I still think that's one of the worst written shows on TV.

January 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |